7-Day Cruise with nothing but the clothes on our back?

cxxviii

OK, now I'm thinking this would be fun to try. Or maybe to just see if my wife notices I don't have a bag to add to hers and the two teenage girls ). Or maybe one critical item, slipped surreptitiously into each of their bags...

Curious... why did you have to tell me "Sent from my iPhone" ?

Many phone apps include this automatically when you post a reply. There is usually a way to turn it off (because it is annoying clutter and no one cares what phone you have or what app you use) but a lot of people don't bother or don't realize their app is doing this.

I have to say the idea doesn't even sound appealing to me. Pack a wheeled bag, wheel it onto the shuttle and into the airport, check it. Not hard to drag around airports at all.

And DH wouldn't even TRY to convince me to travel like that. lol

I tell my cabin steward in advance. It's an extra bag of stuff for him to differ with.

The ship recycles.

Instead of throwing good clothes into the trash,

leave them for the crew.

I was told that crew in the engine room are to most welcome to all clothing.

BTW (I do throw underwear with skid marks in the trash).lol

Curious... why did you have to tell me "Sent from my iPhone" ?

It apparently does that automatically.

Has anyone ever done a 7-day cruise with nothing but what you're wearing and the necessary paperwork? We're a few weeks out from our Breakaway cruise and the thought of dragging winter and summer stuff from home, through multiple airports, NYC and then onto the cruise does not excite me. Can I buy a couple pairs of shorts, shirts, and bathroom supplies on the ship??

Any chance I can talk my wife into this strategy?? :) Advice welcome.

No and I have no idea why you would want to. :eek:

I am pretty sure they don't sell undies on the ship.

Has anyone ever done a 7-day cruise with nothing but what you're wearing and the necessary paperwork? We're a few weeks out from our Breakaway cruise and the thought of dragging winter and summer stuff from home, through multiple airports, NYC and then onto the cruise does not excite me. Can I buy a couple pairs of shorts, shirts, and bathroom supplies on the ship??

If your wife is like me the answer is no....and happy wife/happy life (or vacation):*. At a minimum pack 2 rolling carry-ons that you don't need to check at the airport or the cruise port and layer what you are wearing to travel in.

It doesn't make any sense unless money is no object, comfort isn't an issue, and you are OK with whatever "stuff" they happen to have for sale on the ship.

I have regularly traveled for a weeks' vacation (including flight) with just a rolling carry-on bag. It's easy to fit travel-size toiletries, clothing, shoes and even a small camera in a carry-on size bag when you know how to pack.

Is one carry-on bag per person really that difficult to deal with to make you want to go to such extremes for a cruise?

I would not want to travel with anything less than that. (And my BF would DEFINITELY not want to travel with anything less than that!)

Considering we don't have to fly to our cruise port, it is simple to pack a large bag and just drop it with the porter. No need to struggle with packing in a small bag, and no need to "buy stuff" at exorbitant prices and unwanted/unknown brands and quality.

There is no way we could travel with anything less than a small backpack each. We did 8 days in Orlando with that, and it was fine. For toiletries, what they sell in the shops on board are extremely limited and extremely expensive. What they sell for clothing: ditto. What if they don't have your size? And do you plan to wash everything out every evening after a sweaty day ashore? That would be more of an aggravation than dealing with a small carryon! Could get pretty ripe, there, buddy, by the end of the week!

Do you have meds you need to carry?

Does your wife prefer a certain shampoo?

perhaps you're thinking of layering all your undies on for your flight?

I actually thought about how I would buy clothes on my last cruise. My suitcase was misplaced, then found before the cruise. I looked at the gift shop on the ship to see how I would have handled this problem if my suitcase had been permanently lost.

1) I don't think the ship sells underwear

2) t-shirts would be OK and flip-flops

3) Nicer clothes were pretty expensive

4) Sizes were a problem. Things were either too big or too small.

5) Most everything said Norwegian on it.

6) Toiletries or makeup were available, but, again, very expensive.

If I were your wife, I might consider this option. I would be up for the challenge.

To me, it sounds like more work having to go shopping once you are on the ship and figuring out what you may need. Not sure if underwear/bras are sold on the ship. I would just suck it up and pack before you left for the ship.

Enjoy and let us know what you end up doing, I'm interested in seeing how it works out if you decide to just wing it.

Went to alaska with just carry on. Bought so many souvenirs that we had to wear all our heavy stuff home...to NYC during an August heatwave!!

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

While mailing post cards at a post office in Alaska we witnessed several ladies buying those boxes 5$ anything you can fit. They were mailing home their dirty laundry so they had room for all the stuff they bought. You can fit a good amount of stuff in those boxes.

Im having a hard time grasping the why here... but to each their own. I have to agree with other, I would say a backpack at minimum to avoid some ripeness. If my husband brought this up to me I would tell him the same thing and I would pack him a few things in case this master plan doesnt work out.... Whats funny is last night my husband and I bought a second 29 inch bag because NCL doesnt have a laundry room so we have to pack more for this cruise! We do have 2 kids we have to pack for as well.

Most of these answers seem to be, just take stuff in a backpack, but you're literally asking if you can purchase what you need onboard.

The answer is maybe. There are plenty of t-shirt and sweatshirts, even light jackets for sale. I didn't see any pants, My husband forgot swim trunks and purchased a pair for $40 that were a size too big. He's a large. They had small, Med, XL and XXL. Of course. Had I done the same, I wouldn't have had a suit, as they had only two suits, and they were size 6 and 8. Which I am most certainly not either.

Toiletries you can get. At a premium, but yes, you can purchase toothpaste and what not in the onboard shop.

We made it to day 5 before I realized on one cruise that my husband had worn the same shorts every day. He had others, but they were his favorite and since he worn trunks to the beach and pants to dinner, he didn't feel they were that dirty after being worn a few hours a day.

You definitely need to pack underwear if you wear them, unless you plan to wash in the sink.

Bare minimum I'd say you need underwear, 1 pr of neutral shorts, a pair of trunks and your sandals along with whatever you're wearing to the airport. You can purchase shirts onboard and at every port.

Another option is to ship your stuff ahead of time to the hotel you're staying at pre-cruise. (Assuming you are going in the night before.)

We've done this when we've traveled with a large group of kids. I've had Amazon Prime deliver boxes of snacks, cereal, drinks, etc to our condo the day or two before our arrival. Saves me using valuable vacation time shopping. Grab some milk on the way in and we're all set for breakfast.

You're carrying a suitcase, it's really not a Herculean task.

For our 9 night Mediterranean cruise last June + 3 days in Rome pre-cruise, I got everything in a 21" carry on and backpack. My husband the same. No interest in cruising "with just the clothes on my back" though!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we sailed from NYC over New Year's.

we brought our heavy parkas to wear upon return, in the event it was cold. sure, this meant walking from the elevator to our car (parked at cruise terminal) with just sweaters and a fleece both arriving and departing, but we're hearty. started the car and threw our coats on that we'd left in the car. similarly, we had left hats and gloves just in the car just in case.

we each wore jeans and packed one pair. that was more than enough for cold weather clothing. packed mostly warm weather clothing, save a few sweaters/long sleeves each.

i could nto imagine why you would voluntarily cruise without a suitcase. i get trying to go with just a carryon if you are flyign to port and either dont want to pay bag fees and/or are afraid of lost luggage prior to a cruise.

when checking bags, a good idea (althoguh we never do it) is to put half of each other's items in the other's suit case. that way if a bag gets lost on the flight or by NCL, you at least have half your stuff to get you thru the 7 days.

When you get on board, you could ask your room steward, did anybody leave behind a sac of old crummy clothes I could wear? Lol. This is positively the funniest thread I've ever seen! On my last cruise on RCCL I forgot a crucial bra (strapless) needed for one of my formal night dresses and there were no bras sold on board so I was screwed out of one outfit. I nearly lost my mind because I had to re-wear another dress. So I guess you could define me as the polar opposite type of person from the OP!