Where is Captain Tuvo?

Pierlesscruisers

Just off of the Star two days ago. Captain Tuvo is by far the most personable, approachable, and informative officer we have ever sailed with. He will keep you updated on more matters than you are accustomed to hearing about.

We had two emergency evacuations at sea from our ship. The first was on our way back from Puerto Vallarta and involved anchoring outside of Cabo San Lucas for an unscheduled emergency evacuation of an ill passenger to a medical transfer boat to take to shore. The second was a day later and involved a helicopter evacuation at sea by the US Coast Guard of a gravely ill crew member. We watched the evacuation of the crew member and it is hard to describe how difficult this was to perform from the air above the ship. The Captain and the US Coast Guard are to be commended for their performance. What made the difference for us is that Captain Tuvo would describe as much as he could about what was happening in these emergencies while always protecting the confidentiality of the situation.

On a day to day basis during our cruise, Captain Tuvo would give the most entertaining announcements, always in an upbeat manner to keep you smiling and ending with his familiar "Bye-Bye". He also could be seen interacting with passengers all over the ship whether it was greeting you at breakfast, answering questions at a meet and greet with the Captain, serving Pizza, at the various parties, or just seeing you in the hallways. I hope that you will have a chance to cruise with Captain Tuvo and meet this wonderful person who wants us to enjoy cruising as much as he does.

• Like 1

I just got off the Star on Hawai'i itinerary. I had a short conversation with Captain Tuvo about this exact subject. He said captains work four months on and two months off. (Most crew work 8 to 9 months on and 2 to 3 months off.) He said he asks for a different command at least every two years in order to experience new challenges. He said when he returns to active duty after his next time off, next July, he will move to the Coral.

He said the Star goes into drydock next December.

I am of mixed opinions with regards to Captain Tuvo. There is no argument that he was frequently seen mixing with passengers and crew.

I generally don't give 2 hoots about a Captain, but really enjoyed Captain Tuvo on our Hawaii cruise and would love to sail on another cruise he commands.

Just curious El Crucero what you found objectionable about him?

I generally don't give 2 hoots about a Captain, but really enjoyed Captain Tuvo on our Hawaii cruise and would love to sail on another cruise he commands.

Just curious El Crucero what you found objectionable about him?

Yes, I'd like to know too.

We just disembarked the Star Princess this morning, Captain Tuvo made an announcement that he was leaving the ship today to start his vacation time. I did not hear him say where his next contract would take him.

Captain Tuvo's fantastic personality was on display again this trip. He attended the comedy show on day 1 where the comedian joked about the captain telling people to hold on so he could try to pop a wheelie with the ship. We ended up hitting pretty rough seas from the end of that show through the next morning, when captain Tuvo made an announcement that he was NOT trying to pop a wheelie. Another morning, he made "a very important announcement": Hakuna Matata played on the intercom.

I really hope that he will be on Coral after his time off!

• 2 months later...

We were on the Coral May 27 - June 3 and Capt Tuvo was there and he was awesome. I would be thrilled to have him as the Capt for all of our upcoming cruises :). He had only been on for 1 week and said he had about a month and 1/2 or so left. Did not ask where he would be going next.

Coral May 27th sailing too, he was super visible walking through the public areas frequently, very friendly, and from what he said at the presentation he gave in the atrium ("interviewed" by CD Lexi) just a really really nice guy. He's my favorite captain so far across all of my cruises, with Captain Kate (on X) a close second.

When I filled out my post-cruise online survey, I stated that "Captain Tuvo is a stitch"!

He was in the Atrium for the "Horse Races" wearing a 10 Gallon Hat. He was the MC and he was just too funny. He bussed tables in the IC and even served passengers there, as well.

He just never took himself too seriously and it was apparent that the staff loved him.

I never thought that I would say that I would take a cruise for the Captain, but we would sail with him again in a heartbeat. We've been a little stand-offish with PCL lately, but he may prove to be a deal changer. Hopefully, he will be with PCL in 2018 and beyond should we decide to come back to PCL.

One of the pieces of advice he shared during Lexi's "interview", and something he said he tries to live by...

"It's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice."

He definitely appeared to be living that and I think it positively affected the entire ship, crew and guests.

Just got off the Coral yesterday and he was our Captain. He is the nicest person, so down to earth and friendly with everyone. I couldn't tell you who was the Captain on any of the other cruises I've took except seeing picture & name in patter, but he was out and about a lot talking & taking pictures & selfies with passengers. Loved his Bye Bye!

We have all never ever had such a personable Captain. He always has a story that shows he takes his job seriously, but can be funny doing it. (e.g. how in middle of the night, he received call in cabin about a ship in distress. He said "I went to the Bridge in my 'ship in distress PJs' ".

• 1 month later...
I just got an email about our late November cruise on the Coral and it was signed Captain Dariusz Janusz Balana.

I am on a cruise now with Tuvo and he leaves the Star September 9 for his holiday. He said that for the next 2-3 years he will be exclusively on the Star. This seems to be changing quite a bit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailed with him on the Coral at the end of May and this guy just made our cruise. He was funny and informative in equal measure and was always around to say hi. Even caught him clearing tables in the Horizon Court at one point!

Someone should really teach him what the word "nevertheless" means though ;)

I am on a cruise now with Tuvo and he leaves the Star September 9 for his holiday. He said that for the next 2-3 years he will be exclusively on the Star. This seems to be changing quite a bit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Apparently he is still on vacation in November. Our welcome email for our Nov 14th Star Princess cruise is signed by Captain Stefano Ravera.

• 3 weeks later...

He told us on our recent Alaska cruise on Star Princess that he is slated to be back on the Star for the Alaska season in 2018...and I THINK he said "next 2 yrs" which would be 2019...

I"m somewhat uncertain about the 2019 thing...but I know he said next year.

• 3 months later...

reviving an old thread (sorry) - but I got off the Island Princess about a week ago and it was Captain Tuvo (FLL to LA through the Panama Canal - 12/6-12/21, though our departure was delayed a day). It was my 11th (?) cruise, and I have never ever paid attention to or even remembered a captain. I will remember him! And like others, I would totally take a cruise just to cruise with him. He was just such a nice man - entertaining on the big stage, but super friendly and charismatic when one on one. I did the Ultimate Ship Tour, and he kept us in the bridge for over 40 minutes chatting, and asked us to stay longer so we could be there when he did the daily announcements at noon and we could all say "bye bye!" together. He genuinely just had fun! He was always out and about and it was like seeing a celebrity :D People fawned over him, but he was just soooo nice! I don't know where he's going next, but he did say that his family will be with him on the Christmas cruise from LA to FLL through the Panama Canal on the Island Princess.

reviving an old thread (sorry) - but I got off the Island Princess about a week ago and it was Captain Tuvo (FLL to LA through the Panama Canal - 12/6-12/21, though our departure was delayed a day). It was my 11th (?) cruise, and I have never ever paid attention to or even remembered a captain. I will remember him! And like others, I would totally take a cruise just to cruise with him. He was just such a nice man - entertaining on the big stage, but super friendly and charismatic when one on one. I did the Ultimate Ship Tour, and he kept us in the bridge for over 40 minutes chatting, and asked us to stay longer so we could be there when he did the daily announcements at noon and we could all say "bye bye!" together. He genuinely just had fun! He was always out and about and it was like seeing a celebrity :D People fawned over him, but he was just soooo nice! I don't know where he's going next, but he did say that his family will be with him on the Christmas cruise from LA to FLL through the Panama Canal on the Island Princess.

Yep, he's a winner, for sure! I told my wife that I'd go on a cruise to hell if he was the captain! My wife even went so far as to make a personalized ring tone that goes "Yoo-Hoo!" to let her know when a call comes in on her cell phone. :D If he's anything at home like he is on the ship, his is a very lucky family!

Tom