Where is Captain Tuvo?

Pierlesscruisers

I'm just off the Island Princess with Captain Tuvo on a Panama Canal transit cruise. This was my first cruise and I was amazed the captain was so visible and personable! He was great.

I am beginning to be very thankful we have him for 60-nights South America soon. A cynic might think Princess put one of their most personable captains on Island since it has the most complaints for space after the "upgrades".

• 1 month later...

We have had the pleasure of cruising with Michele Tuvo, several times on the Diamond around Japan when he was Staff Captain. We sat with him at the MTP, and had a fantastic time. His sense of humour is amazing!!

We were thrilled to hear he had been promoted to Captain, and we certainly agree with all previous postings, he is without doubt the best and most personable Captain ever, and we too, would cruise with him any day!!

• 3 weeks later...

He featured in the most recent series of the UK TV programme "The Cruise" aboard Star Princess in Alaska.

He was great at "photo bombing" the passengers' formal portrait pictures along with the Cruise Director

Hoping he will be on our Sept.19th Alaska cruise.

We are on that cruise also & hoping he will be our Captain. I posted this a few days ago, asking if anyone knew if he will still be on the Star on September 19th.

Hopefully we will get our answer from someone that knows.

I got an email about our June cruise on Star and it says that he will be our captain. He sounds great!

That is possible. He left the ISLAND during the Grand South America trip. He left the ship at the end of February to go on vacation leave. I am not sure which was to be his next assignment.

He was fantastic - a passenger's Captain. He was exactly as everyone describes. He was the most visible Captain by a country mile (probably as much as most other Captains added together). Very personable. When the new guy came on, it was like going from day to night. He didn't even do his own noon report and rarely came on the P.A. to speak. Only place I saw him was passing by the Atrium on "welcome aboard" night and "balloon drop" night.

Captain Tuvo has not been on any of my cruises & find this discussion interesting.

The idea that a captain with a personality & sense of humor cannot perform his duties in a professional manner makes no sense to me. Being described as a passenger’s Captain makes him someone who I’d like to have at the helm. Most of the captains limit their interaction with passengers to required duties only & it’d be refreshing to have a captain who enjoys interacting with passengers.

Captain Tuvo has not been on any of my cruises & find this discussion interesting.

The idea that a captain with a personality & sense of humor cannot perform his duties in a professional manner makes no sense to me. Being described as a passenger’s Captain makes him someone who I’d like to have at the helm. Most of the captains limit their interaction with passengers to required duties only & it’d be refreshing to have a captain who enjoys interacting with passengers.

I’m beginning to think this person is one in the same and just trying to stir up the pot. Yes, it does not make any sense.

I realize that different personalities are going to appeal or not appeal to different folks. There is no question Tuvo was professional about his job when he needed to be. I did hear anecdotally that one or two passengers thought he was serious somehow when he mentioned in the morning announcement once or twice that we had only had to stop for directions twice and we found the port okay. And just who did we ask in the middle of the ocean?

I observed this man a couple of times and when he was out and about, he had his eye on operations, how passengers were doing, etc.

He made himself available when he did not need to, and in so doing he enriched people's day and enhanced the passenger experience. Do I expect all Captain's to do this stuff? No, but I certainly appreciated the efforts he made in being self-deprecating and make people smile. One day, he reported a lot of new officers had boarded because too many had to walk the plank. If people cannot take a little joke in the course of a day, while still realize a job can be done professionally, then too bad.

Anyway, we liked him and everyone I spoke to liked him, but not to say all passengers loved him, nor would I expect them to.

We are on that cruise also & hoping he will be our Captain. I posted this a few days ago, asking if anyone knew if he will still be on the Star on September 19th.

Hopefully we will get our answer from someone that knows.

Possible... he’s on Star for next 2-3 yrs starting April 25. It’s a 4 month rotation and then about 2 months off. Assuming nothing changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not a fan. Found him juvenile and unprofessional. He is popular with the nursing home crowd.

Being 65 I totally resent that, we were on a cruise with him last year and after 26 cruises will say he is the best captain we have had on a cruise.