ROYAL NOW CHARGES for ROOM SERVICE - Extra Expense for Disabled Traveler

Unfortunately this is nothing new, Royals been adding extra charges for 20 yrs starting with Johnny Rockets on Voyager which was free at first. Even soda pop with meals was free on cruise ships 20-30 yrs ago. All businesses are doing it, airlines charge for seats, soda and luggage. Unfortunately its the same ever where. I think the room service fee is here to stay even for the handicapped...

I did notice that there is talk of "pay as you go" coin operated toilet paper dispensers in all bathrooms. I wonder if an 18% tip charge will be affixed to the refill charge per dispenser.:cool:

This is patently false.

An interior room or an accessible interior room, a JS or an accessible JS, a balcony room or an accessible balcony room... all cost the same for regular vs accessible within the same category.

Go ahead, show me the pricing option for an accessible room that is more than the price for the equivalent standard room.

You won't show me that situation, because IT DOES NOT EXIST.

Here are four examples using various dates, itineraries, ships and all categories through JS. Base pricing as of 3/24/2017.

1. Jewel Eastbound TA 11/6/2017. Interior - $649/pp. Interior Accessible. $677/pp.

2. Explorer Pacific NW 5/14/2018. Ocean View - $349/pp. Ocean View Accessible - $408/pp.

3. Brilliance W Caribbean. 11/23/2017. Deluxe Balcony - $888/pp. Accessible Deluxe Balcony - $964/pp.

4. Independence France/Spain. 8/5/2018. Junior Suite - $2509/pp. Accessible Junior Suite - $2669/pp.

I would hope that mobility challenged passengers will be exempted from the new room service charge, but we'll see. Also, I normally tipped $2 - $4 per order anyway, and the new $7.95 fee only adds a few dollars on top.

And, if I don't order room service, I don't pay the fee... problem solved.

My biggest problem is the class divide RCCL is building onboard the ships. Grand Suites and above won't pay the fee. Diamond Plus don't pay for drinks, they also have preferred seating in the theaters and the specialty restaurants. And unfortunately, these differences are clearly visible to all cruisers, sometimes causing hard feelings.

Take me back to the old days of cruising, when everyone got treated the same ands ships weren't medium-sized cities!

Life is always filled with the have and have not's. Those that can afford the GS and above suites pay for room service, and all the other perks in the price of their room. They pay multiple times more for a slightly bigger room. Example a Owners Suite is 3x bigger than a suite, but yet the price is 4-5x more money.

I'm not really understand "mobility challenged" Many people that are disabled and use wheelchairs go to the MDR and other dining locations. If you are talking about a person, with complete disability to the point where they can't take care of themselves, I understand, but "challenged" tells me that they can get around with mobility assistance. It would be helpful of the poster if you clear this up to fully understand.

So, I don't have any hard feelings. I see rich people all the time, having things that I don't have. Does not bother me. I have things others do not have, and it does not bother me, that I have more than they do. It's a fact of life.

Room service was never good. I don't think I ever used it other than to get pastries and coffee, and only on those early morning trips off the ship, so I can catch an extra 1/2 of sleep.

If a person is completely disabled, and needs companion assistance, then you should talk to special needs to see about getting the service etc. to the room. They do make special accomindations to special needs.

There are NO wheelchair accessible cabins at the Grand Suite and above on ANY Royal Caribbean ship except for the Oasis class, where there is ONE Loft Suite (no grand suites or owners suites are wheelchair accessible). So a wheelchair bound person cannot book a full suite on Royal Caribbean (except for the one loft suite on the Oasis class) and get the suite/ gold card amenities, including now the room service.

Other people have given examples on this thread. One poster discussed the situation where the disabled passenger did not want to or were unable to go ashore with the remainder of the party and remained in their cabin. Their disability was such that they could not go to the Windjammer or elsewhere alone. So they depended on room service for their meals. Others have discussed how that their disability reduced their stamina so much that after being in port on a shore excursion, they were too exhausted to be able to go to the dining room.

In my family, the disabled person doesn't have sufficient motor coordination to drive a scooter. So he uses a manual wheelchair. It takes him a long time to go anywhere rolling his wheelchair with his hands. In addition, I don't know if you seen the threads where people discuss how difficult it is to get an elevator if you are in a wheelchair. Elevators arrive on the floor full and people often crowd into the elevator even though there is someone in a wheelchair waiting to board also--actually cutting in front of the wheelchair. The elevators also close rapidly, so it can be difficult for someone in a manual wheelchair to be able to get to an open elevator besides the one they are in front of before the elevator closes. While it is not of a cruise ship experience, I encourage you to watch the video posted above.

Even if the disabled person is able to successfully get an elevator eventually, the distance from the windjammer is quite a ways and then when they get there, if they don't ask, they probably won't get help. When we take our disabled family member to the Windjammer, I almost always have to specifically request help and then the cruise staff member in the entry door area has to call one of the managers to come over and assign someone to do it. This takes even more time. Then, when the person gets their snack or iced tea, they can't carry it back to the room with them--both hands are already being used to push the wheelchair. So they have to eat/drink there and then make the long and exhausting trip back.

Finally, and one obstacle which I don't think has been discussed, is the cabin door. While I don't know about the Quantum class, I do know that in most of the other classes (except the Radiance class), the wheelchair accessible doors don't have a push button to open them. The doors are heavy and trying to insert the card and push the door open enough to get in is quite difficult when in a wheelchair. I know our family member cannot do it.

I hope that this provides some insight.

There are NO wheelchair accessible cabins at the Grand Suite and above on ANY Royal Caribbean ship except for the Oasis class, where there is ONE Loft Suite (no grand suites or owners suites are wheelchair accessible). So a wheelchair bound person cannot book a full suite on Royal Caribbean (except for the one loft suite on the Oasis class) and get the suite/ gold card amenities, including now the room service.

Other people have given examples of why a disabled person would stay in their cabin alone without their traveling companions on this thread. One poster discussed the situation where the disabled passenger did not want to or was unable to go ashore with the remainder of the party and remained in their cabin. Their disability was such that they could not go to the Windjammer or elsewhere alone. So they depended on room service for their meals. Others have discussed how that their disability reduced their stamina so much that after being in port on a shore excursion, they were too exhausted to be able to go to the dining room.

In my family, the disabled person doesn't have sufficient motor coordination to drive a scooter. So he uses a manual wheelchair. It takes him a long time to go anywhere rolling his wheelchair with his hands. In addition, I don't know if you seen the threads where people discuss how difficult it is to get an elevator if you are in a wheelchair. Elevators arrive on the floor full and people often crowd into the elevator even though there is someone in a wheelchair waiting to board also--actually cutting in front of the wheelchair. The elevators also close rapidly, so it can be difficult for someone in a manual wheelchair to be able to get to an open elevator besides the one they are in front of before the elevator closes. While it is not of a cruise ship experience, I encourage you to watch the video posted above.

Even if the disabled person is able to successfully get an elevator eventually, the distance from the windjammer is quite a ways and then when they get there, if they don't ask, they probably won't get help. When we take our disabled family member to the Windjammer, I almost always have to specifically request help and then the cruise staff member in the entry door area has to call one of the managers to come over and assign someone to do it. This takes even more time. Then, when the person gets their snack or iced tea, they can't carry it back to the room with them--both hands are already being used to push the wheelchair. So they have to eat/drink there and then make the long and exhausting trip back

Finally, and one obstacle which I don't think has been discussed, is the cabin door. While I don't know about the Quantum class, I do know that in most of the other classes (except the Radiance class), the wheelchair accessible cabin doors don't have a push button to open them. The doors are heavy and trying to insert the card and push the door open enough to get in is quite difficult when in a wheelchair. I know our family member cannot do it.

Edited by montgomeryfamily

I sent the email below to Special Needs. We are currently booked for 2 upcoming cruises, one is in a Accessible Balcony, the other an accessible was not available so we booked a Junior Suite in order to get a wider door in order to accommodate a mobility scooter.

As per the email below, they are waiving the RS fee for me on both cruises.

Below is the email I sent to Special Needs, followed by their response.

Hi

Being disabled - I have some concerns about the new $7.95 room service charge. Although I plan to have a scooter for these 2 cruises, There are days and or evenings when I am simply not able to even get on the scooter and go out for a bite to eat. I can understand the charge for able bodied persons who are able to leave their rooms and get something to eat, however, I do not see it as being fair to those of us who because of our disability are not able to go out whenever we please.

Please consider waiving the fee for those in an accessible cabin, or those who have been flagged in your systems as being disabled.

Thank-you for your consideration.

Thank you for contacting the Access Department with your inquiry.

I am pleased to advise you advise you that you will not be charged the fee for room service and I have coded your reservations and the ship staff will be advised as well.

Once you arrive at the pier, we recommend speaking with one of our agents and they will be able to arrange boarding assistance. During peak times, there may be a wait for assistance.

We also recommend speaking with the Guest Services/Relations Desk who will assist you with accommodations for the departure at the end of your cruise.

Best Regards,

Tracy Cabrera

Senior Access Advocate

[THREAD ID:1-7V738VR]

Why not just switch to a Cruise Line like Princess that still offers complimentary room service?

I think that is the main issue many have. We booked when it said free (save for late night hours). We sail in May and we have been paid in full since we booked months ago. It's too late to switch everything now, the planning it takes even to get to go on a cruise is a lot for someone who has lots of medical equipment to handle and caregivers to line up. I don't think it's the whole 'omg there is a charge for a service now' as much as it is a change going into effect with no warning for people sailing so soon with no recourse.

There is a CLS that is accessible on Allure, Oasis and Harmony. It even has an elevator that goes to the upper loft area.

Yes, that is what I posted. I"m glad for that one, but disappointed that Royal Caribbean didn't follow through on the newer quantum class ships with wheelchair accessible full suites.

Not having read the whole thread, I will say that the posts I have read about how hard it is for some severely disabled people to cruise makes me wonder why someone with such a severe disability that keeps them from being able to get off the boat with the people they traveled with and keeps them room bound and unable to even enjoy going anywhere on the boat, would even choose to spend their money to take a trip like this. The room service fee seems like the least of the problems for someone choosing to travel to a place where they are too immobile to even get out of the room.

Also, are they traveling with people who are unwilling to go get food for them in order to avoid the charge? Are they just abandoning this severely disabled person in a dark room with no food, so they can go out and enjoy vacation without them? Come on. I get it that disabilities need accommodations, but this seems silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

As for physically disabled, just because we cannot use our arms and legs don't mean we don't enjoy cruising like anyone else, we just need assistance (roomservice can be part of this assistance needed). It's so much fun and fun just to get away. Every day is a challenge to some people but that doesn't mean we don't live life. And if we are having a bad pain day or too tired and have to stay in the room, we watch movies or the ship's cam and relax and read or listen to music like anyone else might do when confined to a room. Moving anywhere in crowds and using elevators can be a pain when you are in a huge wheelchair so roomservice helps when we can't do it ourselves. There are few ports with electric wheelchair friendly excursions for people who cannot get out of their chairs, so on those, we stay on the boat. If our caregivers want to go on an excursion then yes, they can leave us on board as long as we are healthy enough to stay alone. You act like just because our bodies don't work we should just not do something we enjoy. As for them bringing food, if trays and 'to-go' stuff would be able to be prepared, awesome, but roomservice is still easier.

I am not upset about the charge, if I would have known about it before I was paid in full and past my locked in date, it would have been something I was agreeing to off the bat. I am upset that the change was made after I booked the room with free roomservice as an amenity and now it's changed to a charge and I am too far into my cruise date to change anything. That's what makes me concerned-I am not sad or mad, just a bit concerned that they would change something so huge with such little notice for those of us in sooner cruise plans. They should have released it with several months in between announcement and change.

Opening a door to a room can be a challenge or impossible for some, that doesn't mean they don't enjoy the boat. You saying that someone being room bound and unable to enjoy anywhere on the boat should chose another trip shows how little you know about disabled travel or disabled lives in that. Many posting here know exactly what it's like to travel disabled and what we can and cannot do and opinions and ideas posted by many people in this thread actually make me happy they are sharing their experiences like I am. Then there are ones saying 'choose another ship' or 'choose another vacation' and it is just so obvious that their experience with disability is much different than mine.

RCI did wrong ethically (not legally, they have a contract that lets them do whatever they want basically) by having basically no notice on this for those who cruise soon. It's not the charge, it's the roll-out. Again, it's not the charge, it's the roll-out. If people don't like the charge, they don't have to book with RCI anymore, but those of us with soon sailings have no choice and that's the problem.

I would hope that mobility challenged passengers will be exempted from the new room service charge, but we'll see. Also, I normally tipped $2 - $4 per order anyway, and the new $7.95 fee only adds a few dollars on top.

And, if I don't order room service, I don't pay the fee... problem solved.

My biggest problem is the class divide RCCL is building onboard the ships. Grand Suites and above won't pay the fee. Diamond Plus don't pay for drinks, they also have preferred seating in the theaters and the specialty restaurants. And unfortunately, these differences are clearly visible to all cruisers, sometimes causing hard feelings.

Take me back to the old days of cruising, when everyone got treated the same ands ships weren't medium-sized cities!

diamond plus deserve the free drinks. i think. Its a special perk for their loyal vip customers. And if you pay for upgrade like a grande suite usually the price of two cabins i guess you should get free room service too.

However i understand what you mean by class divide. Hope they won't let the rest of us drown lol

This is all such a shame, we love Royal and have always sailed with them.

The saying "the straw that broke the camel's back" springs to mind. So many cutbacks, removal of small or even tiny touches that make a cruise special - remember that little pink flower on your table in the MDR? If you hadn't noticed, they've gone. The RC pen and notepad on your desk? Of course there's so much more as others will know.

Remember when the Cruise Compass wasn't filled with $ signs?

You'd have a chance to chat with your room attendant because he/she didn't have to take care of so many rooms. Plus of course room service was complementary, it was just all part of cruising.

Then look at the fact that the company made $1.2 billion profit last year... that makes all these cutbacks harder to swallow, it's not as if they're on the brink.

Yes the prices have come down and maybe I'm naive in thinking all of these small things could continue.

I don't know what the straw that breaks the camel's back will be, but I feel we're getting close.

I believe I am in RCI's target demographic; mid 30s with families, and as much as I love Royal and will continue to cruise with them for now, my partner is now very eager to try other lines.

I'm trying my hardest to justify why we should stay with Royal, but it's getting harder and harder.

A positive and humorous point to remember though is that at least we still have our tablecloths; Carnival only bring them out on formal nights nowadays! That's right, bare tables for dinner.

I have a feeling our cruising future will be a mixture of RC and Princess if what I've heard is true. So many friends have told us to take the plunge and try Princess, but for me, as long as the camel's back can take the weight - Royal is "home" for now.

(Please take note RCI, I know you read these pages. Thank you.)

Edited by Board_Shorts

Other people have given examples of why a disabled person would stay in their cabin alone without their traveling companions on this thread. One poster discussed the situation where the disabled passenger did not want to or was unable to go ashore with the remainder of the party and remained in their cabin. Their disability was such that they could not go to the Windjammer or elsewhere alone. So they depended on room service for their meals. Others have discussed how that their disability reduced their stamina so much that after being in port on a shore excursion, they were too exhausted to be able to go to the dining room.

Even if the disabled person is able to successfully get an elevator eventually, the distance from the windjammer is quite a ways and then when they get there, if they don't ask, they probably won't get help. When we take our disabled family member to the Windjammer, I almost always have to specifically request help and then the cruise staff member in the entry door area has to call one of the managers to come over and assign someone to do it. This takes even more time. Then, when the person gets their snack or iced tea, they can't carry it back to the room with them--both hands are already being used to push the wheelchair. So they have to eat/drink there and then make the long and exhausting trip back

Finally, and one obstacle which I don't think has been discussed, is the cabin door. While I don't know about the Quantum class, I do know that in most of the other classes (except the Radiance class), the wheelchair accessible cabin doors don't have a push button to open them. The doors are heavy and trying to insert the card and push the door open enough to get in is quite difficult when in a wheelchair. I know our family member cannot do it.

Kathy, I think if you write to the rccl and explain your circumstance they will make concessions. I think this room service has probably gotten out of control on the very large ships and they thought that this will deter ordering room service unless you really feel a need . Or want to pay. But i don't think they meant it to be standard practice for disabled persons. I am not sure if i am right but i would look into it. It sounds reasonable the right thing to do.:)

Here are four examples using various dates, itineraries, ships and all categories through JS. Base pricing as of 3/24/2017.

1. Jewel Eastbound TA 11/6/2017. Interior - $649/pp. Interior Accessible. $677/pp.

The Interior Accessible for $677 is a Deck Code L, while the Interior for $649 is a lower category. You have to compare apples to apples, not apples to mangos.

I think if you take your other examples all the way to the point to comparing categories/deck placement, you'll find similar circumstances.

I'm pretty sure I've viewed an accessible GS on Oasis in a Cabin Crawl....