ROYAL NOW CHARGES for ROOM SERVICE - Extra Expense for Disabled Traveler

As a passenger who often travels with a companion with a disability, I think it would be a good move if RCL exempted passengers with disabilities from this charge. However, would many then claim to have a disability given that the access/special needs department does not require passengers to submit evidence.

On a related note, I've noticed that cruise fares for accessible cabins are now generally higher than the non-accessible cabins in the same category. I'm not a lawyer but wonder if there are legal consequences.

As you point out, practically anyone can claim a disability. Case in point, companion animals. Perhaps a compromise might be to exempt accessible cabins only.

As you point out, practically anyone can claim a disability. Case in point, companion animals. Perhaps a compromise might be to exempt accessible cabins only.

Accessible cabins are far and few in between. I imagine many tough it out in the regular cabins or upgrade to a roomier and more navigable suite as a sail date approaches. With that said, your idea is sound.

When did this change- i was just on a cruise in January and used room service and was not charged anything

Royal recently announced the room service charge. They will roll it out over the fleet starting with Serenade on March 27.

There has been a bit of confusion about this. The $7.95 is a service charge and includes gratuity. It is not a charge for the food.

If one person places an order, it's $7.95. If four persons in the same stateroom all place orders at the same time, it's one $7.95 charge.

The "door hanger" continental breakfast remains available at no charge.

This is my understanding. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are no wheelchair accessible full suites (grand suite and above) on any Royal Caribbean ship except the Oasis class ship (where there is one loft suite). So disabled passengers can't book a grand suite in order to avoid the room service charge.

Actually Royal Caribbean does require passengers who book a wheelchair accessible stateroom to submit a special form in which the passenger has to submit information regarding the type of mobility devices used and also additional needs. Unfortunately Royal Caribbean doesn't look at it until 30 days before sailing and only then do they claim to follow up and contact the passengers who didn't fill one out and, if the passengers don't actually have a disability the nature of which requires the use of the features of the wheelchair accessible room does Royal Caribbean move them. Or at least this is what the Special Needs Dept claims in the conversations I have had with them.

I am concerned about giving a "perk" to accessible rooms of complimentary room service because we already have enough issues with people who don't need the accessible rooms booking them (or their travel agent) for more space, as it can be hard enough to get a wheelchair accessible room. Royal Caribbean's method of handling doesn't assure that people who needs the room get it. If Royal Caribbean does, in fact, throw someone of an accessible room for not needing it, the timing is such that the room goes into general inventory and can be booked by anyone. It is also possible that someone can be placed in an accessible room due to guarantee assignment or through other action by Royal Caribbean, so even that doesn't assure that the disabled will be getting the accommodation. But if you are disabled and need any assistance such as boarding assistance or a shower chair, you are supposed to fill out and submit the form to the Special Needs dept, no matter what type of room you are in.

So I suggest that that Royal Caribbean exempt from room service charges those who have submitted to the Special Needs office the special needs form requesting mobility assistance. I am going to contact the Special Needs office and Royal Caribbean Crown and Anchor about the charges and offer this solution if they have not already decided to make some special accommodation for disabled passengers.

I would hope that mobility challenged passengers will be exempted from the new room service charge, but we'll see. Also, I normally tipped $2 - $4 per order anyway, and the new $7.95 fee only adds a few dollars on top.

And, if I don't order room service, I don't pay the fee... problem solved.

My biggest problem is the class divide RCCL is building onboard the ships. Grand Suites and above won't pay the fee. Diamond Plus don't pay for drinks, they also have preferred seating in the theaters and the specialty restaurants. And unfortunately, these differences are clearly visible to all cruisers, sometimes causing hard feelings.

Take me back to the old days of cruising, when everyone got treated the same ands ships weren't medium-sized cities!

Why? As a mobility challenged cruiser my self, I have no problem with this. We are not entitled to a better experience just because we are disabled. We are entitled to equal experience and since this is a change applicable across the board, we are. If $8 a delivery is beyond your budget, then you have the same options as everyone else. For me, that means sending my spouse to fetch me something to eat. I personally find the new menu to be much more palatable than the old one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ROOM SERVICE was truly free in the GOOD OLD DAYS when we began cruising RCCL, back in the early 2000's. Anyone, in any cabin, could order anything from the dining room menu and have it delivered to the cabin. We once had lamb shanks and carrot cake in the room. Soon, only suites had a full menu, and our balconies had a limited 'free' menu.

AFTER MIDNIGHT charges of 4.95 to 5.95 were in place by our 2015 cruise. We didn't mind that, since the people in our party who NEEDED room service were asleep by 10 p.m.

NOW, MANDATORY CHARGES for ALL ROOM SERVICE are in place. As of March 2017, RCCL has begun charging 7.95 for each Room Service order. This charge will become fleet wide by the end of May 2017. A continental, cold breakfast, of pastries and the like, is still free. A hot breakfast of any kind, such as eggs, meats, etc., will require payment.

NEW "UPSCALE" ROOM SERVICE MENUS are the catalyst for this charge, according to the RCCL website. We compared the new menu to menus we saved from our 2015 and 2016 cruises, and this new menu is not much different that the last one. In fact, some favorites, such as the honey-stung chicken, are gone. It is still mostly a 'snacking' menu, with only one or two true entrees.

DISABLED TRAVELERS, such as the two in our party, limited by mobility and stamina, usually eat 2 of the 3 meals in the room. With tips, we estimate this will add an additional 250.00 to the price of cruising on RCCL for a week. That may not sound like much, but one of the attractions of cruising is that food is included. Family members can 'fetch' sandwiches and pizza on days we are not off the ship at a port, but when they are on the boat alone, their only option will be room service.

NO GOOD ALTERNATIVES to this latest policy seem clear at this time. And I guess I am not really asking a question, just sharing information so that you won't be surprised and can prepare for the extra cost if you plan to use Room Service. :(

Have you considered calling the special needs department?? They helped us tremendously with our son, who is wheelchair bound.. We got anything we wanted, including dining room meals, brought to our room, with NO FEE.. Just don't know unless you asked..

Why? As a mobility challenged cruiser my self, I have no problem with this. We are not entitled to a better experience just because we are disabled. We are entitled to equal experience and since this is a change applicable across the board, we are. If $8 a delivery is beyond your budget, then you have the same options as everyone else. For me, that means sending my spouse to fetch me something to eat. I personally find the new menu to be much more palatable than the old one.

As I posted to someone else:

Have you considered calling the special needs department?? They helped us tremendously with our son, who is wheelchair bound.. We got anything we wanted, including dining room meals, brought to our room, with NO FEE.. Just don't know unless you asked..

First it's too bad charges are starting. But my parents would agree with you, no special treatment. In a hotel room service disabled or not you have to pay for room service. And dad who uses a scooter to get around won't park in Handicapped spot because he'd rather leave them for others worse off...

How refreshing this post is, thanks for posting

As I posted to someone else:

Nope. As I said I am not entitled to be given anything over and above an able bodied person. I do know that if the ship's doctor quarantined you they do waive the fees as you have no other options.

I don't believe in taking undue advantage of the crew's willingness to please the customer. Especially when doing so impacts their regular duties

Many times I choose RS cuz I just plain don't want to put shoes on or actual clothes, not because my body is hating me at that particular moment.

Nope. As I said I am not entitled to be given anything over and above an able bodied person. I do know that if the ship's doctor quarantined you they do waive the fees as you have no other options.

I don't believe in taking undue advantage of the crew's willingness to please the customer. Especially when doing so impacts their regular duties

Many times I choose RS cuz I just plain don't want to put shoes on or actual clothes, not because my body is hating me at that particular moment.

It has nothing to do with entitlement or taking advantage of the crew. Many people have special needs and the cruise line will help make people's lives easier if they can. Asking for dining rooms meals delivered for someone who is more comfortable eating in their cabin is not an unreasonable request. Waiving the new room service fee for those who are unable to make it to the MDR would be a very compassionate move by the cruise line. This could be extended to those who were able to get an accessible cabin and also for those who are forced to make a regular cabin work. Compassion goes a long way, try it sometime.

Businesses do not make money with compassion. And I am sick and tired of being told I am heartless just because I do not believe businesses have to cater to every whim of the customer. Don't like the policies, feel free to find a cruise line that doesn't charge for 24/7 delivery. They o bad most of the mainstream lines already do or are planning to

My biggest problem is the class divide RCCL is building onboard the ships. Grand Suites and above won't pay the fee. Diamond Plus don't pay for drinks, they also have preferred seating in the theaters and the specialty restaurants. And unfortunately, these differences are clearly visible to all cruisers, sometimes causing hard feelings.

Take me back to the old days of cruising, when everyone got treated the same ands ships weren't medium-sized cities!

The answer is quite simple for you. Just book a grand suite MANY times and you too can get all the benefits that "you don't pay for." I don't have hard feelings when I board a flight and walk right on by the first class section...I know these people have paid for what they are getting.

Businesses do not make money with compassion. And I am sick and tired of being told I am heartless just because I do not believe businesses have to cater to every whim of the customer. Don't like the policies, feel free to find a cruise line that doesn't charge for 24/7 delivery. They o bad most of the mainstream lines already do or are planning to

Royal Caribbean made $1.28 BILLION in profit last year. How much is enough?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-royal-caribbean-4q2016-results-20170126-story.html

You say here "Don't like the policies, feel free to find a cruise line that doesn't charge for 24/7 delivery."

the fact is I did book with a company that DIDNT charge 24/7 delivery RCI DIDNT charge when I booked , that is what this boils down to. and that is what many cruisers are angry about , the simple fact its changed since we booked and being a UK booker we cant simply cancel without penalty. .

You say here "Don't like the policies, feel free to find a cruise line that doesn't charge for 24/7 delivery."

the fact is I did book with a company that DIDNT charge 24/7 delivery RCI DIDNT charge when I booked , that is what this boils down to. and that is what many cruisers are angry about , the simple fact its changed since we booked and being a UK booker we cant simply cancel without penalty. .

Booked my first royal cruise in strong part because of the policy regarding children in the suite lounges. Two months after, they changed that policy and allowed kids. I was torqued, but I didn't cancel because I had read the fine print. The one that states the line can make changes at any time.

So guess you could board, make a huge stink and demand to be granted an exemption( and probably get it) and then never book another with Royal again.

Or you could plan ahead since you actually get advanced notice about your mealtime needs

On a related note, I've noticed that cruise fares for accessible cabins are now generally higher than the non-accessible cabins in the same category. I'm not a lawyer but wonder if there are legal consequences.

This is patently false.

An interior room or an accessible interior room, a JS or an accessible JS, a balcony room or an accessible balcony room... all cost the same for regular vs accessible within the same category.

Go ahead, show me the pricing option for an accessible room that is more than the price for the equivalent standard room.

You won't show me that situation, because IT DOES NOT EXIST.

This is very disappointing. My first cruise is coming up and I was looking forward to having all of these services available. Free room service being one of the highlights.

My wife was not keen on booking a cruise, so I've been trying to sell the concept to her.

Now, I feel as if I'd made a mistake and that the cruise will nickel and dime me to death. I may not book a cruise again, or maybe not RCCL.

Booked my first royal cruise in strong part because of the policy regarding children in the suite lounges. Two months after, they changed that policy and allowed kids. I was torqued, but I didn't cancel because I had read the fine print. The one that states the line can make changes at any time.

So guess you could board, make a huge stink and demand to be granted an exemption( and probably get it) and then never book another with Royal again.

Or you could plan ahead since you actually get advanced notice about your mealtime needs

I can see both sides of this argument.

Yes, RCI is perfectly entitled to make changes under the auspices of their red print. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. Too many last minute changes and instances of inaccurate info on their website, and customers will go to other lines and profit goes down.

If room service is important enough to you to take time out of your schedule complaining about it. then complain away to RCI. They can decide whether it is worth their time and money to comp your fees or not. Frankly, it's a lot easier for them to waiver $100 worth of fees (assuming you do still tip) than for the family oriented cruise line to continue to ban kids from the diamond lounge, so I bet they would say "yes". Whether you should be exempted because of a disability or because the change in room service was not clear when you booked is food for thought for RCI to determine whether they are better off waiving your room service fees; you won't get a fee waiver if you don't ask for one. And RCI isn't doing it for compassion's sake, they're considering it to mitigate their risk of revenue decrease from angered customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is patently false.

An interior room or an accessible interior room, a JS or an accessible JS, a balcony room or an accessible balcony room... all cost the same for regular vs accessible within the same category.

Go ahead, show me the pricing option for an accessible room that is more than the price for the equivalent standard room.

You won't show me that situation, because IT DOES NOT EXIST.

I think they seem higher because, when people are booking rooms, they are more likely to select the accessible room. People waiting for sales done select these rooms because they have already been taken. I don't think the rooms have an intrinsically different price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums