ROYAL NOW CHARGES for ROOM SERVICE - Extra Expense for Disabled Traveler

This is very disappointing. My first cruise is coming up and I was looking forward to having all of these services available. Free room service being one of the highlights.

My wife was not keen on booking a cruise, so I've been trying to sell the concept to her.

Now, I feel as if I'd made a mistake and that the cruise will nickel and dime me to death. I may not book a cruise again, or maybe not RCCL.

I feel the same way. Free room service has always been my staple selling point when trying to convince family, friends, co-workers and even church members to reserve a RCL cruise.

Now, I feel as if I'd made a mistake and that the cruise will nickel and dime me to death. I may not book a cruise again, or maybe not RCCL.

I guess you won't know until you take your cruise. Go into it expecting to be disappointed, and you most certainly will be. If you have read these boards enough I am sure you have noticed that some people simply aren't happy unless they are complaining about something. Your cruise will be what you make of it.

I feel the same way. Free room service has always been my staple selling point when trying to convince family, friends, co-workers and even church members to reserve a RCL cruise.

Interesting. I think I took at least a half dozen cruises before it ever occurred to me to order room service. I had a great time on all of those cruises.

As I stated in an earlier post, there are NO wheelchair accessible grand suites or above on any Royal Caribbean ship except the Oasis class, and there is only one loft suite on those class ships. So that is not even an option for many disabled.

For those of you who claim that the disabled should not be given anything over and above that of abled bodied passengers--only an equivalent experience, than if when Royal Caribbean provides an equivalent experience, we might agree. But as it is now, anyone who is wheelchair bound or cannot walk up steps is not getting an equivalent experience.

There is only one pool and one hot tub with a lift on the entire ship (even the Oasis class ships) and that pool and hot tub is NEVER the ones in the solarium. In addition, several cruises we have been on, the lift was not working. For most of the theatres, the wheelchair seating is in the back of the theatre and limited at that. Not only is it more difficult to see and hear the theatre show, you can't see an entire movie because the top part is blocked by the upper deck hanging over the back of the theatre. There are whole decks which can't be accessed because there is no lift and rooms where you can't access the main part of the floor or the upper level of the room because of no lift or ramp(including the ice skating rink where flooring is put down and parties held there on several ships. . And if there is a tender port with no roll on tender, then if you can't walk onto the tender, you can't leave the ship--meaning wheelchair bound passengers aren't allowed to tender---yet port fees are not reimbursed. I could go on about the various limitations.

The point is that passengers in wheelchairs are not given an equivalent experience as able bodied passengers. So I don't think that disabled are "getting something better" than abled bodied by having the room service fee waived--it is just providing an alternate experience to the disabled in lieu of some of the other experiences the disabled don't get--and one which meets a need.

As I stated in an earlier post, there are NO wheelchair accessible grand suites or above on any Royal Caribbean ship except the Oasis class, and there is only one loft suite on those class ships. So that is not even an option for many disabled.

For those of you who claim that the disabled should not be given anything over and above that of abled bodied passengers--only an equivalent experience, than if when Royal Caribbean provides an equivalent experience, we might agree. But as it is now, anyone who is wheelchair bound or cannot walk up steps is not getting an equivalent experience.

There is only one pool and one hot tub with a lift on the entire ship (even the Oasis class ships) and that pool and hot tub is NEVER the ones in the solarium. In addition, several cruises we have been on, the lift was not working. For most of the theatres, the wheelchair seating is in the back of the theatre and limited at that. Not only is it more difficult to see and hear the theatre show, you can't see an entire movie because the top part is blocked by the upper deck hanging over the back of the theatre. There are whole decks which can't be accessed because there is no lift and rooms where you can't access the main part of the floor or the upper level of the room because of no lift or ramp(including the ice skating rink where flooring is put down and parties held there on several ships. . And if there is a tender port with no roll on tender, then if you can't walk onto the tender, you can't leave the ship--meaning wheelchair bound passengers aren't allowed to tender---yet port fees are not reimbursed. I could go on about the various limitations.

The point is that passengers in wheelchairs are not given an equivalent experience as able bodied passengers. So I don't think that disabled are "getting something better" than abled bodied by having the room service fee waived--it is just providing an alternate experience to the disabled in lieu of some of the other experiences the disabled don't get--and one which meets a need.

You should check out Anthem. There is an elevator within the theater to go to upper level and within 270. There is an elevator to go up to Northstar. There is a lift in the Solarium that goes into the pool, didn't actually look at the hot tubs so can't say on that.

Not sure of other accessibility features but those are the ones we saw.

This is patently false.

An interior room or an accessible interior room, a JS or an accessible JS, a balcony room or an accessible balcony room... all cost the same for regular vs accessible within the same category.

Go ahead, show me the pricing option for an accessible room that is more than the price for the equivalent standard room.

You won't show me that situation, because IT DOES NOT EXIST.

I think what the person who originally posted that the pricing was higher was probably stating so because when you search for a room on the Royal Caribbean website, many times, especially with the balcony rooms, it shows a lower price than when you check the box you need an accessible room. There are several reasons for this. One reason is that accessible rooms can't be booked as a guarantee and often the cheaper price is for a guarantee. Another reason is that there are no accessible rooms in many of the categories--the accessible rooms are usually only in the mid to higher categories.

With Royal Caribbean, there is no category of just interior, outside, or balcony. Even before the change to add even more categories, there were many categories of interior, outside, and balcony (especially balcony). There are not accessible rooms in each of these categories, only in certain ones, which as I said, are the mid to higher level (pricing). And most of the time, the only difference in these categories is the position on the ship. So when both an able bodied passenger and a disabled passenger books a balcony cabin at the same time, the disabled passenger often pays more because the only accessible balcony cabins are in a higher category than the regular balcony cabin.

The question I would ask anyone that questions the nickel and diming, as well as, the constant upselling that takes place onboard, would they prefer that all of this be included in the cruise fare? If I look at average cabin fares since I started cruising in 2000, it appears to me that fares have not increased as fast as the rate of inflation. However, costs have definitely increased for the cruise line. This would lead one to believe that cruising is a better value now than it was in years past. The upside of the lower cruise fare is that you can decide which upsells you wish to purchase. So what it most important to all of you? Cheap fares or all inclusive?

And to the OP, the food is still free. You simply now have to pay a service charge for room service. No different than paying for delivery when ordering a pizza. Albeit, a most expensive fee.

I don't know how you can say costs have increased for the cruise lines:

The number one cost for cruise lines is the principle on the ships. Cost per berth DOWN.

Next is Financing the capital investment DOWN, historic lows.

Then Fuel, WAY down since 2000.

Then I'd guess their main cost is labor that is not paid primarily in tips. Maybe it's up, but this is the international labor pool we're taking about and those wages are rises slower than US rates (which have been close to anemic).

Then probably food. If you're doing the main dining room, and you look at the meal you're getting then vs 2000, can you honestly say it costs more?

I don't begrudge any company the right to price their product as they see fit and to make as much as they can. But making uniformed excuses for poor quality is a totally different issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the hope that RCI trolls this thread, I would like to say that room service breakfast on our balcony is one of the highlights of our cruise experience. No, $7.95 won't bankrupt us, but it will cause us to choose another cruise line over Royal Caribbean. So we will "vote" with our feet and board another company's ship in the future. I personally feel that cruise lines (and airlines) that begin charging for prior free services are in deed 'nickel and diming' us to death.

We have cruised on every class of Royal Caribbean ship except for the Quantum class and have been considering booking on this class in the future. I'm glad to hear that there is a lift to the pool in the Solarium--I hope there is also one to the hot tub. We have made this comment on every survey we have taken. Royal Caribbean could install more than one lift--or even add a portable lift. That is what many US hotels have done. This way there would be more than one option (and preferably in an adult only pool and hot tub) as well as a back up when one of the lifts is not functioning.

While it is good to be able to access the upper level of the theatre, what we really need is a way to access the main floor of the theatre (which is only available on a few ships). Our family member has some difficulty seeing and hearing from quite a distance. In addition, the last row of the theatre is the wheelchair seating and is constantly subject to people going in and out of the doors and even people standing directly behind--sometimes even leaning on the back and arms of the wheelchair (while he is in the wheelchair). Talk about an invasion of personal space!:eek:

Don't forget RCL ships are registered in the Bahamas and go by their laws. ADA is an "American thing" ( sadly).

I think you will find that any cruise ship that docks in a US port is required to abide by ADA regs.

DISABLED TRAVELERS, such as the two in our party, limited by mobility and stamina, usually eat 2 of the 3 meals in the room. With tips, we estimate this will add an additional 250.00 to the price of cruising on RCCL for a week. That may not sound like much, but one of the attractions of cruising is that food is included. Family members can 'fetch' sandwiches and pizza on days we are not off the ship at a port, but when they are on the boat alone, their only option will be room service.

My husband has limited mobility, uses a rollator walker and is able to go to the MDR for each meal. Do they use any kind of aide to help them get around the ship. Seems a shame for them not to enjoy the MDR for at least dinner.

Don't forget RCL ships are registered in the Bahamas and go by their laws. ADA is an "American thing" ( sadly).

Sorry your statement is incorrect. My husband has limited mobility issues and Royal has always been very accommodating. This is information I have since we need an accessible cabin (if available): If the ship is embarking from a USA Port there is a USA Federal Law that applies. Based on this law and what the OP stated their post, the person is entitled to book an accessible cabin provided the ship is embarking from a USA Port. If the ship is embarking from a USA the cruise line cannot refuse anyone from booking an accessible cabin for having a mobility disability that doesn't require the use a wheelchair if that individual can attest to need of requiring the features contained in an accessible cabin. Now if the ship is embarking from a Non-USA port than the USA Federal Law does not apply and the cruise line can set its own policy as to the booking of accessible cabins provided there are no local laws for the non-USA port that apply.

Bull twinkles. I have the exact same experience as my able bodied spouse. Just because the accommodations offered are not 'good enough ' for you does not mean you are being shortchanged.

As several others have pointed out, everyone and their brother will soon claim 'disability ' to get out of paying the RS fee the second they know about it being waived.

And yes, I understand that I can never sail in a genie level suite / at my price point on the Big Boys . But I can sail on all the others so I have nothing to complain about.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good question, do hotels make this exception for their pay for room service?

I don't think so. Not sure why anyone on a cruise thinks it should be different. The only exception I can think of is during a Noro outbreak (or other scenario) where the ship quarantines you to the cabin - the RS should be free then.

I don't think so. Not sure why anyone on a cruise thinks it should be different. The only exception I can think of is during a Noro outbreak (or other scenario) where the ship quarantines you to the cabin - the RS should be free then.

As a guy who spends over 200 nights a year in hotel rooms and has been confined to cabin for Noro, I say "LIKE"!

However; I am morally opposed to comparing cruise stays with hotel stays. I see it as comparing apples to cherries. Cabins are smaller than hotel rooms, hotels don't have toilets that suck out your bowels, and any food, let alone room service, is seldom included in with a run of the mill hotel stay. Also, I can bring whatever I want to drink (or eat) to my hotel room before I get there.

On RCCL, there is sit down service for all meals on sea days, and I have seen windjammer attendants assist the handicapped at that venue. if someone can get on to a ship and to their cabin they surely can take the elevator to the windjammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

Bull twinkles. I have the exact same experience as my able bodied spouse. Just because the accommodations offered are not 'good enough ' for you does not mean you are being shortchanged.

As several others have pointed out, everyone and their brother will soon claim 'disability ' to get out of paying the RS fee the second they know about it being waived.

And yes, I understand that I can never sail in a genie level suite / at my price point on the Big Boys . But I can sail on all the others so I have nothing to complain about.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So you can cruise in a Grand Suite (and perhaps have) or other suites above the junior suite category. This means that you don't require a wheelchair accessible cabin in order to cruise because NONE of the Grand Suites on any of the Royal Caribbean ships are wheelchair accessible (and in fact, none of the other full suites are wheelchair accessible except the loft suite on the Oasis class).

Also, apparently your disability doesn't require you to use a pool or hot tub lift and doesn't keep you from walking and using steps. No wonder your disability doesn't restrict you from enjoying the same amenities and experiences as your able bodied spouse

What if everyone on board had a pool and hot tub to which they were assigned upon boarding and no was was permitted to use any other pool or hot tub except that to which they were assigned? Talk about the complaints to Royal Caribbean and threads on CC!:) This is what it is like to have to use the pool lift. And if the lift is not operational because the batteries are dead and the ship didn't bring on any spare batteries (as was the case on our last Oasis cruise)?. Then you are precluded from using the pool and hot tub for the entire cruise.

If you go through just the things I have listed in my earlier post (and these are not the only restrictions that wheelchair users face on shipboard), I don't know how you can assert that anyone facing such restrictions is getting an equivalent shipboard experience as those who don't have the restrictions or limitations.

As I also suggested in my earlier post, Royal Caribbean can use the Special Needs form submitted by the disabled passenger to determine the fee waiver, not the onboard assertions of passengers trying to get a fee waiver.

Totally agree here. While cruising is genuinely more accessible than going on other vacation destinations, we miss lots of ports that are tendered and still pay the port fee even though we cannot get off. Seems people don't really understand how very disabled some travelers can be. We already bring personal assistants, so anyone thinking we can just hire someone to do things for us doesn't understand what some of us go through to be able to travel! There are very few excursions that are electric wheelchair friendly (one if we are lucky) and destination idea of disability friendly still may think they can have us walk two steps or they can lift us in our electric wheelchairs (not happening, no way no how). We miss out on a lot, and while cruising is amazing and fun and really a blessing for those of us that get to go, there is no way our experience with disabled is the same as those without a disability. I have no idea what it's like for someone who can walk up one step because we can't do a thing that requires it (and that includes the incredible view on the heli pad on some of the ships that have steps up to see it). One step can keep us from amazing things. I am not exactly complaining, just saying that people saying disabled have equal access have no idea what they are saying. Even those with the option to use a manual chair are less disabled than our group and very lucky in my opinion. People who can decide if they want to use a scooter or not are so very lucky. I am so thankful for how the cruise ships treat us, they go above and beyond in so many cases, but it's never equal for someone who cannot step up one step.

This is very disappointing. My first cruise is coming up and I was looking forward to having all of these services available. Free room service being one of the highlights.

My wife was not keen on booking a cruise, so I've been trying to sell the concept to her.

If room service is going to be a highlight you may want to reconsider..

If this is just the start of everything being an extra price. I for one will not be booking another R.C. cruise. Us Australians are already paying much more for our cruises then others.

If this is just the start of everything being an extra price. I for one will not be booking another R.C. cruise. Us Australians are already paying much more for our cruises then others.

Unfortunately this is nothing new, Royals been adding extra charges for 20 yrs starting with Johnny Rockets on Voyager which was free at first. Even soda pop with meals was free on cruise ships 20-30 yrs ago. All businesses are doing it, airlines charge for seats, soda and luggage. Unfortunately its the same ever where. I think the room service fee is here to stay even for the handicapped...

Next is Financing the capital investment DOWN, historic lows.

Historic lows? Rates are on the way up. A handful of years ago you could have claimed historic lows but not today.

Then Fuel, WAY down since 2000.

Way down? A barrel of crude is down significantly from what it was a few years ago but still costs more than what it did in 2000. So not only is it not way down from what is was in 2000, it's not even down. If you look at the past 10 years, crude was significantly higher than in 2000. Their fuel costs are down currently compared to the peak prices of 2008, but overall, these costs are higher than 2000.

Then I'd guess their main cost is labor that is not paid primarily in tips. Maybe it's up, but this is the international labor pool we're taking about and those wages are rises slower than US rates (which have been close to anemic).

It looks like you are only looking at labor on the ships, and even then, only service employees. Never mind that RCCL is headquartered in Miami. They have to pay that staff. Their call centers. Their IT staff. Etc. There is a lot more to their labor force than simply those on the ships. Even if the wages are rising slowly, they are still rising, so by definition, that would be considered an increased cost.

Then probably food. If you're doing the main dining room, and you look at the meal you're getting then vs 2000, can you honestly say it costs more?

If you are asking me if I feel that the quality of meals in the MDR is at the same level as it was in 2000, then I would say, no they are not the same quality. However, that is not to say, even with a decrease in quality, there wasn't an increase in costs. Food is more expensive than it was 17 years ago. So yes, I can honestly say it costs more.

I don't begrudge any company the right to price their product as they see fit and to make as much as they can. But making uniformed excuses for poor quality is a totally different issue.

I am not sure why you feel my statements were uninformed other than the fact you disagree with them. We can complain all day about the quality and if one is getting their money's worth but that wasn't the basis of my original post. I still stand by what I said that fares have not risen as quickly as other segments of the economy.