Sushi Class don't miss this!

I've never had sushi and I've thought a cruise might be a good time to try it. But....I don't want any raw seafood. So can someone please give me the sushi for dummies 101 class.

My daughter is vegetarian and I don't like fish.

We make avocado and cucumber rolls. The best rolls I ever had were tempura asparagus. The sushi place that we frequented before we moved made up plates of it when they saw me come in the door. I personally prefer sushi rolled with the seaweed on the outside.

It is super easy to make at home if not as pretty as the sushi chefs make it. Sushi rice, a splash of rice wine vinegar and what ever else you want. You can use thin sliced chicken or steak if you feel like a protein.

I don't see this on the Liberty and that kinda bums me out. Would love to learn how to make my rolls look a little less sloppy.

I looked on the cruise planner but did not see it. Anyone know if it is offered on Oasis? I think my adult daughter would enjoy this class.

I just booked the sushi class yesterday for our Allure cruise on October 1st!

I hope they have this on Oasis this summer.

We did it on Oasis a couple weeks ago (sat at tables), it was a lot of fun. Also, easy enough my 8-yr old could do it. There were a number of substitutions offered if you were allergic/not crazy about the ingredients. My daughter doesn't like spicy tuna, for example, and they gave her a gorgeous cut of solid tuna. We didn't sign up til we were on the ship; it was offered two different sea days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did it on Oasis a couple weeks ago (sat at tables), it was a lot of fun. Also, easy enough my 8-yr old could do it. There were a number of substitutions offered if you were allergic/not crazy about the ingredients. My daughter doesn't like spicy tuna, for example, and they gave her a gorgeous cut of solid tuna. We didn't sign up til we were on the ship; it was offered two different sea days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nice to know that I can sign up on the ship IF it does not ever make it to the planner before hand. I keep checking for my June 4 cruise but so far no Sushi class.

• 1 month later...

It's showing in my cruise planner and I leave at the end of July. It shows up under the Entertainment and Activities link....think I may have to book it for my kids and I. :)

It appears 1 month or so in cruise planner before the cruise (in activities and experience if I recall it)

Thank you so much for this thread ! Your pictures were beautiful and your delight at the experience was very evident ! We will be looking for this on Allure before we sail in September.

warm regards,

Kristine

• 1 year later...

I would love to take this class! I'm a great cook, but sushi isn't something I know how to do. My husband and I would very much enjoy taking this class together -- we'd take other cooking classes too, if they were offered. But not guacamole (the only other cooking class of which I'm aware) 'cause I already make that superlatively well.

• 4 months later...

My sister and I would be very interested in this, however, she is a vegetarian. Have any vegetarians gone to this? Would she be able to eat any of the sushi? She makes her own vegetarian sushi so I know she would love this. But don't want to spend that money if the only sushi that you can actually eat isn't vegetarian friendly. Thanks . 

1 hour ago, sh2738 said:

My sister and I would be very interested in this, however, she is a vegetarian. Have any vegetarians gone to this? Would she be able to eat any of the sushi? She makes her own vegetarian sushi so I know she would love this. But don't want to spend that money if the only sushi that you can actually eat isn't vegetarian friendly. Thanks . 

I don't think it would be a problem. Just let them know up front.

I agree it's a fun way to spend part of the afternoon, and the fact that you get to eat your own sushi helped cover a lot of the cost of the class.  I had a great time doing the sushi class with one of my daughters on the Navigator in 2016.  We have been making sushi at home regularly ever since.

We signed up for it once on board.  Didn't even know about it before then.  I'm guessing that almost all ships that have IZUMI will have the class offered.

Dan

16 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I agree it's a fun way to spend part of the afternoon, and the fact that you get to eat your own sushi helped cover a lot of the cost of the class.  I had a great time doing the sushi class with one of my daughters on the Navigator in 2016.  We have been making sushi at home regularly ever since.

We signed up for it once on board.  Didn't even know about it before then.  I'm guessing that almost all ships that have IZUMI will have the class offered.

Dan

So if you eat your own, could you make one without seafood for people that don’t eat that?

thanks. 

1 hour ago, sh2738 said:

So if you eat your own, could you make one without seafood for people that don’t eat that?

thanks. 

I wish I knew the answer to that.  My guess is that they would accommodate you, but you would have ask.  If they say yes I would then show up on the earlier side and remind them.  Typically they have things mostly ready and prepared for you.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 12:59 PM, sh2738 said:

Absolutely. You can do whatever you want in it. My daughter attended with me and is pretty particular about her sushi (she's 10), so they gave her extra crab instead.