Live from the LIBERTY of the SEAS 3/26/17 sailing

What are the clothing requirements for the rock wall? How chilly is the skating rink? Is it as cold as a standard ice rink?

What about interior temperature on the ship in general? On our last cruise the dining room and theater were on the need a sweater category. Just wondering what to expect.

If it helps - Rock wall requires socks, skating requires pants....

My family is from Massachusetts - for ice show, we wear either pants or long sleeves, not usually both...

For skating I make the kids wear long sleeves as well - not because it's cold but because I don't want them to get scrapped if they fall or whine about the cold ice if they fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm in!! Thanks for the great pictures. My kids and I are sailing at the end of July for a graduation/celebration cruise. Can't wait to find out more about your trip!

Have a great trip!!

BTW I was hoping to see Liberty sail away, but the cruise cam on Galveston.com doesn't seem to be working (unless it is my computer).

when in July....we are on July 23rd for my gd's graduation sailing...

If it helps - Rock wall requires socks, skating requires pants....

My family is from Massachusetts - for ice show, we wear either pants or long sleeves, not usually both...

For skating I make the kids wear long sleeves as well - not because it's cold but because I don't want them to get scrapped if they fall or whine about the cold ice if they fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Skating also requires socks.

As the Tide Turns

This could easily turn into a rant about Dolphinarius in Cozumel. After a great experience in Roatan at Anthony's Key Resort with a dolphin encounter, today was, a little lackluster even though we had gone full tilt with the dolphin trainer for a day program. I'll just say that there are better options, but this one fit our schedule and our group's desire, but we will not be back nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

Now back to the Liberty of the Seas after that brief commercial interruption.

We were joined dockside by a ship seeking it's Independence and another that considered itself a Fantasy. In the distance, was a Norse ship that must get everywhere at dawn and what I believe was an Italian wanderer whose name I did not catch.

The waters and pier area are very nice here and it always interesting disembarking and looking back at the ship. Overall, the LOS is in very good shape. A nitpicker might find a stain here or a bit of scraped paint there, but the general public areas are in great condition. The execution of the main dining room is well done and does not look like a set from a Star Trek movie which is where Celebrity and Holland have seemed to have gone with their newest builds. I'm not one of these people that are as carried away about a theme permeating every part of the ship as enjoy being transported to a different locale as I wander around. LOS does this well for me as the different areas of the ship really make different statements.

For those aft dwellers like myself, the Freedom class of vessels do have the structural anomaly that doesn't give the cruiser quite the wake experience that you might be familiar with on other ships, BUT I can also say that there is little to no vibration back here in our cabin experience. Even when docking or leaving port we did not have the serious cavitation phenomenon that one gets on other ships. There is still a slight wiggle in the jiggle back here compared to in the middle, but nothing that isn't somewhat akin to being rocked to sleep at night.

In the Air was the show tonight. It seems like a Cirque like show is becoming more common on the lines these days. I have no problem with that. The RCCL folks or their subcontractors did a really good job designing the show. Do those people ever get the credit they deserve? The performers did either really well or outstanding with what was given to them. There is some acrobatics, but this is mostly performance theater, set design and vocalists that do the heavy lifting for the duration of the program. Would I spend $50 to see it at a local theater? Probably not. But that's one of many wonderful aspects of cruising. Guilt free entertainment.

The family is really coming into their own in terms of doing just what a family vacation can do. The 12 year old girl tried the escargot. The 16 year old picky eater has eaten a Ceasar salad 3 nights in a row and tonight added a crab cake and chilled honeydew melon soup to the repertoire of dining experiences. The 13 year old had 3 desserts plus the steak, a crab cake and a Ceasar salad. I've been giving the 16 year old the nightly wait staff tip so he can learn to do that and how to do it.

Now back to the review of the LOS.

Here is the deal I can say right now. With the choice of ships and ports in the MidSouth Gulf Coast region, I can unashamedly recommend LOS for first time as well as veteran cruisers as long as they understand what they are getting into. For the first timers, the LOS is cruise overload that will entertain them, feed them, and relax them even though it looks a bit more like the first day of summer at Disney World. For veteran cruisers, it is good to get out of the rut of having your "favorite" cruise line. Sure it's mass market and is not ashamed of it. But we don't buy all of our groceries at Whole Foods, shop at Neiman Marcus for office gifts, or refuse to fly on any airplane that doesn't offer first class seating.

Is LOS, or even RCCL going to be MY first choice from now on? Nope.

If it was the only choice would I go. Yes.

Is it the best choice for some? Absolutely!

I realize that this is only 3 days into it to be making blanket statements, but if you have suffered from insomnia before and happened to be unlucky enough to read some of my other "live from" posts, you would realize that just because I have a critical eye does not mean it is a negative one. I'm also open minded enough to try some things twice. Had I judged Celebrity off of one less than stellar Caribbean cruise I would not be back on them. Had the Rotterdam Dutch Madness trip to the top of Norway been my only allowed attempt with them I would have missed out on a great summer trip. Critical thinking is required for objective reporting.

Now back to our LOS ship....

Tomorrow is Grand Cayman. The LOS is steaming away as I write this. Hopefully there are some excited folks back home who are starting to gather their items and pack the suitcases. Even if you are a bit hesitant, just drop the pretenses and let the vacation begin before you even get aboard.

The tide of opinion has slowly turned for me in regards to LOS because the prejudices I had formed are melted away by the family experiences and laughter. Like a TV soap opera drama, why wait till the end of the week to see what is going to happen?

Start your vacation now.

As the Tide Turns

This could easily turn into a rant about Dolphinarius in Cozumel. After a great experience in Roatan at Anthony's Key Resort with a dolphin encounter, today was, a little lackluster even though we had gone full tilt with the dolphin trainer for a day program. I'll just say that there are better options, but this one fit our schedule and our group's desire, but we will not be back nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

Now back to the Liberty of the Seas after that brief commercial interruption.

We were joined dockside by a ship seeking it's Independence and another that considered itself a Fantasy. In the distance, was a Norse ship that must get everywhere at dawn and what I believe was an Italian wanderer whose name I did not catch.

The waters and pier area are very nice here and it always interesting disembarking and looking back at the ship. Overall, the LOS is in very good shape. A nitpicker might find a stain here or a bit of scraped paint there, but the general public areas are in great condition. The execution of the main dining room is well done and does not look like a set from a Star Trek movie which is where Celebrity and Holland have seemed to have gone with their newest builds. I'm not one of these people that are as carried away about a theme permeating every part of the ship as enjoy being transported to a different locale as I wander around. LOS does this well for me as the different areas of the ship really make different statements.

For those aft dwellers like myself, the Freedom class of vessels do have the structural anomaly that doesn't give the cruiser quite the wake experience that you might be familiar with on other ships, BUT I can also say that there is little to no vibration back here in our cabin experience. Even when docking or leaving port we did not have the serious cavitation phenomenon that one gets on other ships. There is still a slight wiggle in the jiggle back here compared to in the middle, but nothing that isn't somewhat akin to being rocked to sleep at night.

In the Air was the show tonight. It seems like a Cirque like show is becoming more common on the lines these days. I have no problem with that. The RCCL folks or their subcontractors did a really good job designing the show. Do those people ever get the credit they deserve? The performers did either really well or outstanding with what was given to them. There is some acrobatics, but this is mostly performance theater, set design and vocalists that do the heavy lifting for the duration of the program. Would I spend $50 to see it at a local theater? Probably not. But that's one of many wonderful aspects of cruising. Guilt free entertainment.

The family is really coming into their own in terms of doing just what a family vacation can do. The 12 year old girl tried the escargot. The 16 year old picky eater has eaten a Ceasar salad 3 nights in a row and tonight added a crab cake and chilled honeydew melon soup to the repertoire of dining experiences. The 13 year old had 3 desserts plus the steak, a crab cake and a Ceasar salad. I've been giving the 16 year old the nightly wait staff tip so he can learn to do that and how to do it.

Now back to the review of the LOS.

Here is the deal I can say right now. With the choice of ships and ports in the MidSouth Gulf Coast region, I can unashamedly recommend LOS for first time as well as veteran cruisers as long as they understand what they are getting into. For the first timers, the LOS is cruise overload that will entertain them, feed them, and relax them even though it looks a bit more like the first day of summer at Disney World. For veteran cruisers, it is good to get out of the rut of having your "favorite" cruise line. Sure it's mass market and is not ashamed of it. But we don't buy all of our groceries at Whole Foods, shop at Neiman Marcus for office gifts, or refuse to fly on any airplane that doesn't offer first class seating.

Is LOS, or even RCCL going to be MY first choice from now on? Nope.

If it was the only choice would I go. Yes.

Is it the best choice for some? Absolutely!

I realize that this is only 3 days into it to be making blanket statements, but if you have suffered from insomnia before and happened to be unlucky enough to read some of my other "live from" posts, you would realize that just because I have a critical eye does not mean it is a negative one. I'm also open minded enough to try some things twice. Had I judged Celebrity off of one less than stellar Caribbean cruise I would not be back on them. Had the Rotterdam Dutch Madness trip to the top of Norway been my only allowed attempt with them I would have missed out on a great summer trip. Critical thinking is required for objective reporting.

Now back to our LOS ship....

Tomorrow is Grand Cayman. The LOS is steaming away as I write this. Hopefully there are some excited folks back home who are starting to gather their items and pack the suitcases. Even if you are a bit hesitant, just drop the pretenses and let the vacation begin before you even get aboard.

The tide of opinion has slowly turned for me in regards to LOS because the prejudices I had formed are melted away by the family experiences and laughter. Like a TV soap opera drama, why wait till the end of the week to see what is going to happen?

Start your vacation now.

Nice reporting, I'm glad you're enjoying your time with your family!

I'm just loving your review & your attitude! We are on LOS in a week and a half on the next cruise for this itinerary. We leave for Galveston in 9 days. I'm one of those about to start to pack people. I also really appreciate that you are posting the dinner menus & telling what shows are happening which nights. I was just thinking on my drive into work this morning that it would be great to know which shows are what night. You just answered one of those for me!