Prepaid gratuities/service charge

aprilfool01

I'm not tarring anyone, I just didn't understand your comment: The problem in the UK is that we tip after a service not before and the canny folk of the UK want to experience the service first before tipping. and what that has to do with paying or not paying the DSC, since many from all nations don't pre-pay their DSC and pay for it at the end of the cruise after services are rendered.

Like i said i prepay or autogratuity my tips.

I am not the spokesman for the UK.

It is probably more widespread in English society in restaurants or on P&O where a lot of people say they cancel their tips which go on daily to tip who they say has given them excellent service.

The crux of the matter is people in US seem to tip everyone whereas the English people seem to be more selective.

I don't know why Brits say they don't tip at home because lots of us do to people in the service industry.

The tarring is used because a minority of a 70+ million population might say one thing which is misconstrued to say it is everyone.

43 cruises and counting.

I am new to NCL so I found this thread interesting but it also had me confused. I don't want to hijack the thread but people get mad if you ask a question already asked. so please excuse my ignorance. The acronyms drive me nuts so I really don't know what I have already paid for. I believe in tipping and tipping for good service. I also think we are generous. I know when I booked and selected the Beverage package I paid the "service charge" so I assume that the bartender is being "tipped" with every drink to some degree. It would be up to me to add to that when we are on board. This is what was explained to me and I understood. I also prepaid my services charges from what I can tell on My NCL. Would this be the gratuity that is being discussed now? It was my understanding and I was also under the impression that it was mandatory. We could again tip randomly if we saw fit but that the "base" amount was a requirement to the cost of our cruise. Should I be expecting an additional charge when we board? Not that it matters but I think tipping is a personal choice. In Canada servers make at least minimum wage. I don't like to look at it as a wage top up. But I understand the argument. But I view it as a Thank You for good service or food. No it shouldn't be an expectation.

I think a lot of confusion is caused by the terminology.

In the UK, what we call a tip, is a little thank you for exceptional service, obviously given after the service is provided.( what the French call a pourboire, for a drink)

It appears to me that the term tip in the US is interchangeable with gratuity ( although I believe this actually means a gift of money over and above that provided for a service) and service charge. In the US, it appears that one is expected to 'tip' because the charge for the service is not included in the cost of the meal, whereas in the UK, the service costs are built into the cost of the meal.

It is not unusual in the UK for a service charge over and above the cost of the meal to be added at the end of the bill ( check) for large parties, presumably to recognise the additional work needed to get all the food to the table at the same time for the larger number of guests. (I would not hesitate to reduce this if I was unhappy with the service, as long as I explained why). I might also give a small amount in cash directly to the waitstaff in case they do not get the service charge given to them.

Perhaps this clarifies why some of us Brits would prefer the cruise line service charge added to the fare. If the service is just as I expect it to be, and I have not made any additional demands or and above what I expect to be provided, then I know the staff have been paid, just as we are used to here in the UK. I am then free, if I choose, to give an additional thank you, in cash, for any staff member whom I feel has gone the extra mile for me.

The separate gratuity system is a nuisance to me, as is the system of not including compulsory taxes into prices displayed in shops etc. I accept that this is the way it is done in the US. However, for cruise lines operating out of the UK, I think it is an unnecessary irritation. Many have learnt their lesson with the drink prices for ex UK cruises. How about sorting out the 'gratuities'?

I am new to NCL so I found this thread interesting but it also had me confused. I don't want to hijack the thread but people get mad if you ask a question already asked. so please excuse my ignorance. The acronyms drive me nuts so I really don't know what I have already paid for. I believe in tipping and tipping for good service. I also think we are generous. I know when I booked and selected the Beverage package I paid the "service charge" so I assume that the bartender is being "tipped" with every drink to some degree. It would be up to me to add to that when we are on board. This is what was explained to me and I understood. I also prepaid my services charges from what I can tell on My NCL. Would this be the gratuity that is being discussed now? It was my understanding and I was also under the impression that it was mandatory. We could again tip randomly if we saw fit but that the "base" amount was a requirement to the cost of our cruise. Should I be expecting an additional charge when we board? Not that it matters but I think tipping is a personal choice. In Canada servers make at least minimum wage. I don't like to look at it as a wage top up. But I understand the argument. But I view it as a Thank You for good service or food. No it shouldn't be an expectation.

It has been a while since we were on NCL but if your documents say you have prepaid your tips you are fine.

On Royal Carribean i always prepay my tips when i book my cruise.

On P&O and most other cruise lines your gratuitys are added daily or at end of the cruise onto your onboard account for the amount that the individual cruise lines say you have to pay but this can be adjusted or taken off.

Lots of us give additional cash gifts to crew who give us excellent service.

Once again if you prepaid you are okay but bring your documents with you as proof you have paid them.

43 cruises and counting.

You can't. Cruised with a friend recently and either both pre-pay or neither does. No option for just some to pre-pay. I wanted to pay mine in advance for the cc points do I just bought OBC in an amount to cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not Entirely true .I pre-paid my gratuities for a cruise that's upcoming this Sunday and my cabin mate did not pay them at the same time that I did. My cabin mate paid their gratuities just this week and I paid mine couple weeks ago.

I don't know because i always pay mine.I am sure lots of Brits don't tip and probably Americans too its just i wouldn't tar everyone with the same brush because people say one thing then do another.

We have a couple of Brits at work and I asked them, and yeah, they paid tips at restaurants at home and don't have a problem paying them for cruises. They leave tips at restaurants here, too, even though our servers are paid a "living wage".

The only reason the sentiment about Brits is common here on CC is that we have been assured by many Brits that they come from a "non-tipping culture" and that's why they go to the trouble of having the DSC removed. It never made sense to me; I'm sure if I went to another culture and insisted on flaunting their customs I would be an "Ugly American" for being insensitive. I don't think most Brits are like that.

Giving the "non-tipping culture" Brits the benefit of the doubt, perhaps where they live in the UK tipping is not common. We have different "tipping cultures" in the US too, based on geographical location.

We have a couple of Brits at work and I asked them, and yeah, they paid tips at restaurants at home and don't have a problem paying them for cruises. They leave tips at restaurants here, too, even though our servers are paid a "living wage".

The only reason the sentiment about Brits is common here on CC is that we have been assured by many Brits that they come from a "non-tipping culture" and that's why they go to the trouble of having the DSC removed. It never made sense to me; I'm sure if I went to another culture and insisted on flaunting their customs I would be an "Ugly American" for being insensitive. I don't think most Brits are like that.

Giving the "non-tipping culture" Brits the benefit of the doubt, perhaps where they live in the UK tipping is not common. We have different "tipping cultures" in the US too, based on geographical location.

Very good points.

Some people from all cultures​ will always tip while others are mean and won't.

Many Brits go on cruises and WDW in Florida and are more in line with US tipping mechanisms.

Some people will always say something and in practice do something different.

43 cruises and counting.

Not Entirely true .I pre-paid my gratuities for a cruise that's upcoming this Sunday and my cabin mate did not pay them at the same time that I did. My cabin mate paid their gratuities just this week and I paid mine couple weeks ago.

How did you do that? When I tried there was a 'pre-pay gratuities' option in the cruise planner; which added the whole cabin's gratuities to my cart.

How did you do that? When I tried there was a 'pre-pay gratuities' option in the cruise planner; which added the whole cabin's gratuities to my cart.

I called(phone) it in and they (NCL) sent me a receipt via email with only my payment.

Online yes it doesn't separate it out.

.... Also, why do they say, they don't pay the DSC because they don't tip back home?

"They" don't say that, some do just as some Americans say they don't pay the DSC...but we Brits would never tar Americans with the "don't tip" brush!

"They" don't say that, some do just as some Americans say they don't pay the DSC...but we Brits would never tar Americans with the "don't tip" brush!

Some pay some don't let's hope the payers are in a massive majority.

43 cruises and counting.

There is even confusion amongst British people whether we do regularly tip or not at home.

In my experience this can differ a lot depending on where in the UK you live and what type of place you are going to.

I very rarely tip at home. It is actually very difficult to do so in most places near where I live. When paying it is rare to be given the option to add to the bill, in the way that it is in some other places. There is only one restaurant near me where the system seems to even be able to do it, and there the staff usually override it by selecting "no tip" before handing you the payment machine for your pin.

In other areas this option is more likely to be there. In those cases I will assume that a tip is expected.

I can see how you could have different British people can have totally differing views as to whether or not the U.K. has a "tipping culture". My guess is that a significant number of British people never tip at all when they are at in the UK.

What I don't understand is why people think this is relevant when they leave the country. The moment you do so then many of the rules you follow at home change, and tipping is one of those. The moment I leave the country then whether I am expected to tip at home becomes totally irrelevant in my opinion.

What I don't understand is why people think this is relevant when they leave the country. The moment you do so then many of the rules you follow at home change, and tipping is one of those. The moment I leave the country then whether I am expected to tip at home becomes totally irrelevant in my opinion.

Thank you for this. I never understand why people use the reasoning that they don't tip back home, as a little research would let them know the tipping culture where they are visiting.

There is even confusion amongst British people whether we do regularly tip or not at home.

In my experience this can differ a lot depending on where in the UK you live and what type of place you are going to.

I very rarely tip at home. It is actually very difficult to do so in most places near where I live. When paying it is rare to be given the option to add to the bill, in the way that it is in some other places. There is only one restaurant near me where the system seems to even be able to do it, and there the staff usually override it by selecting "no tip" before handing you the payment machine for your pin.

In other areas this option is more likely to be there. In those cases I will assume that a tip is expected.

I can see how you could have different British people can have totally differing views as to whether or not the U.K. has a "tipping culture". My guess is that a significant number of British people never tip at all when they are at in the UK.

I always give a cash tip of 10% in every restaurant we dine in.I never add on the credit card bill because waiters tell me either they don't get it or they pay tax on it when they finally get it.

43 cruises and counting.

One thought though, in US we tip because this is how service staff are paid there.

But most cruise ships are not registered in the US. So why insist on following a US practice on round trip cruises from the UK? Is this not disrespectful to UK cruisers who are used to having their service charges included in the products they purchase? Increasingly, cruises departing from the UK are including the service charges in the drinks prices quoted on board, for the convenience of the passengers.

If I book a flight ticket based on the price quoted on the airline website, I do not expect to have a additional charge added on for the services of the cabin crew. I do not expect to be told that the airline expects the crew to work together to provide an exceptional service and that the service charge is an incentive to do so?

Should I be really worried if some passengers then decide to hand additional cash to the cabin crew so that they will be given priority assistance in an emergency?

( I do hope Certain budget airlines are not reading this! )

One thought though, in US we tip because this is how service staff are paid there.

But most cruise ships are not registered in the US. So why insist on following a US practice on round trip cruises from the UK? Is this not disrespectful to UK cruisers who are used to having their service charges included in the products they purchase? Increasingly, cruises departing from the UK are including the service charges in the drinks prices quoted on board, for the convenience of the passengers.

If I book a flight ticket based on the price quoted on the airline website, I do not expect to have a additional charge added on for the services of the cabin crew. I do not expect to be told that the airline expects the crew to work together to provide an exceptional service and that the service charge is an incentive to do so?

Should I be really worried if some passengers then decide to hand additional cash to the cabin crew so that they will be given priority assistance in an emergency?

( I do hope Certain budget airlines are not reading this! )

Unfortunately right or wrong this is the way it is done on ships so the bottom line is go along with it, stop your tips or don't cruise.

43 cruises and counting.

I live in the north east of England and people from London think we all wear cloth caps and keep whippets up here

This is a common misconception as is tipping practice.

I know several restaurant managers who confirm English people leave plenty of tips.

43 cruises and counting.

I live in the North West of England and London is not England for one there are no English living there!

What will happen with the all inclusive in Europe with the price they are charging the cheapskate Brits as you like to call us we will not use them with over inflated prices. That will leave everyone from the USA to sail around together with your one week vacation time (stereotyping)

There are some not very nice people on these boards everyone has an opinion

Edited by jaxw17
spelling mistake

I live in the North West of England and London is not England for one there are no English living there!

What will happen with the all inclusive in Europe with the price they are charging the cheapskate Brits as you like to call us we will not use them with over inflated prices. That will leave everyone from the USA to sail around together with your one week vacation time (stereotyping)

There are some not very nice people on these boards everyone has an opinion

Hope you weren't refering to me.

It has been several years since we were on the lovely Norwegian Gem but we get good loyalty benefits with RC and P&O and didn't like the look of Epic with wash basins not in the bathroom.

I tip 10% in restaurants in Sunderland, Newcastle,Durham etc and, tip well over guidelines on all ships we have been on.

43 cruises and counting.

<snip>

Oy- there are a few of us true Brits still here in Londonistan you know! (and we have better beer!;))

I still think that some misunderstandings arise from the use of the term, tip.

In the US, unless I am completely wrong, it is custom and practice to use a system which amounts to withholding some of the service staff pay, giving it at the end of the meal, and calling it a tip.

In the UK, we do not withhold any of the staff pay, it is included in the cost of the meal , and we can then if we wish, and frequently do, give the staff a little extra as a thank you, and call that a tip.

It isn't necessarily that we are anti tipping ( by our definition of an extra over and above the cost of the service ) more that we are anti compulsory tipping, and that the idea of withholding staff pay is alien to us.

It's shame we are then labelled as mean. If these service charges were included in the fares, at least for ex UK cruises, this would lead to less confusion and more certainty for the service staff. And as the US cruisers all say they always leave the service charge on, no difference to them. Unless some do actually want to reduce or remove the charges and that is why they insist on having the choice?

In the US, unless I am completely wrong, it is custom and practice to use a system which amounts to withholding some of the service staff pay, giving it at the end of the meal, and calling it a tip.

In the UK, we do not withhold any of the staff pay, it is included in the cost of the meal , and we can then if we wish, and frequently do, give the staff a little extra as a thank you, and call that a tip.

It isn't necessarily that we are anti tipping ( by our definition of an extra over and above the cost of the service ) more that we are anti compulsory tipping, and that the idea of withholding staff pay is alien to us.

It's shame we are then labelled as mean. If these service charges were included in the fares, at least for ex UK cruises, this would lead to less confusion and more certainty for the service staff. And as the US cruisers all say they always leave the service charge on, no difference to them. Unless some do actually want to reduce or remove the charges and that is why they insist on having the choice?

Good examples and mostly true.

43 cruises and counting.

I still think that some misunderstandings arise from the use of the term, tip. That could be why NCL calls it a Daily Service Charge.

In the US, unless I am completely wrong, it is custom and practice to use a system which amounts to withholding some of the service staff pay, giving it at the end of the meal, and calling it a tip. Yes, in certain jobs only, like servers.

In the UK, we do not withhold any of the staff pay, it is included in the cost of the meal , and we can then if we wish, and frequently do, give the staff a little extra as a thank you, and call that a tip. Countries do things differently. I would not say your way of doing it is wrong, it is just different.

It isn't necessarily that we are anti tipping ( by our definition of an extra over and above the cost of the service ) more that we are anti compulsory tipping, and that the idea of withholding staff pay is alien to us. As I said, countries do things differently. For example, I've been to restaurants in Europe that add a service charge to the restaurant bill, that is something that is not done here in the US and something I don't agree with, but since it is the culture, I pay it.

It's shame we are then labelled as mean. If these service charges were included in the fares, at least for ex UK cruises, this would lead to less confusion and more certainty for the service staff. And as the US cruisers all say they always leave the service charge on, no difference to them. Unless some do actually want to reduce or remove the charges and that is why they insist on having the choice? I don't understand why there is confusion, as just a little googling or guide book would answer anyone questions and I think people saying they are confused is just a cop out. I think many say leave the Daily Service Charge on, because most wouldn't think of removing it, but in the event that there is a huge issue that was never addressed properly, the service charge could be reduced or removed. Point in case, here in the US, if I have dreadful service from a server in a land based restaurant, I can choose to not tip that server, whereas when a service charge is added to the bill in Europe, I have no recourse.

I don't care either way (leave it as it is or include it in my fare), as I've never had an issue large enough to remove or reduce the DSC.

I agree with this I find it strange as well that we tip bar and food staff hairdressers and taxi drivers but not everyone else who gives us a service.

i like to feel that i give a tip for good service not anticipated good service.

All cruise lines should pay their staff a minimum wage and add it in to the price if need be they make million and can afford to do so.