Has anyone used the medical facilities?

I don't expect a major surgical unit, but do they offer medical care for various emergencies or even minor ailments?

How would they treat someone who suddenly felt faint, or dizzy? Or had chest pains?

I'm looking for personal experiences.

My 3 year old son cut his finger in the dining room. He needed a stitch the dr on ship and nurses were really awesome and helpful and made it easy for my son. I was thankful for there care.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't expect a major surgical unit, but do they offer medical care for various emergencies or even minor ailments?

How would they treat someone who suddenly felt faint, or dizzy? Or had chest pains?

I'm looking for personal experiences.

I had noro on a ship a couple years ago. The care was AMAZING! I was dehydrated and required an IV. They saw me 4 or 5 times over a couple days. Better care than I get on land.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This thread makes me very nervous. We are going on Oasis this coming Sunday and I didn't purchase travel insurance. I assume if we do incur medical expense on the ship, that we can get that reimbursed through our health insurance. Anyone had trouble getting reimbursed from their regular (not travel) health insurance?

This thread makes me very nervous. We are going on Oasis this coming Sunday and I didn't purchase travel insurance. I assume if we do incur medical expense on the ship, that we can get that reimbursed through our health insurance. Anyone had trouble getting reimbursed from their regular (not travel) health insurance?

You need to call your insurance and ask them. Every policy is different.

I've had to use it for myself and for my husband. Couple of times for myself because, well, they she put things around areas when the floors are wet in bigger signs. Cause myself, my husband and my Daughter are all legally blind. Then there was one time one a cruise where my husband just went bonkers (we found out later it was his Parkinson's that was progressing) and, well it's just me and my daughter going on cruises now.

When it comes down to things for when I need to get my INR (Blood thickness levels) for the day before the ship makes port on the night before we head home, to make sure it's safe on the plane?

They have that stuff too.

One thing they need to improve on, on all cruise lines?

Is the fact that signs to go whatever way, when there is no Braille around? Are bigger. Because My daughter one time laid into a captain about the crew not knowing what the white canes/or as we call them/Blind and if people don't move cause we can see them "so sorry we didn't move, but We can't see you, and you should have moved because we have the disability and the thing that labels our disability- Blind Canes.

That next week we were on that ship? People who were working on the ship? They were kinda all like do you need help here, here? Here? Don't trip here? Tell us what you want for food we shall get it.

I didn't want them in trouble, neither did my daughter. But the help was nice.

Now we are rather known on RCCL as the Roal Blind Chics who scared a ship to our needs. Same thing happened last year in on a celebrity ship when they told us that we could see (my daughter and I) and she we off on them when we were in the dinning room, when the guy really should have been helping us. So she got up, and talked to the captain at his table, told him what was happening. And we were moved to his table for both runs (first week, and second week we were on. Upgraded to a different room, and just treated nicer after that. My daughter and I are CLIA certified. And he knew what could go on, Myself or my Daughter could report. Considering that not only CLIA codes she does, my daughter writes for travel magazines saying hey go on this ship for this reason, but then watch out for this area because they are code:evil there.

She doesn't want her magazine for whom she write for listed. But she writes for them, and reposted ships wrong doing to CLIA.

They may think us blind? But stupid. Nope. Not at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I needed the medical facility just before the second week of our b2b cruise on Adventure two years go. The medical staff was very kind and helpful. I returned for nebulizer treatments every day for a week which helped me tremendously. The charges were added to our cruise account and I received an itemized bill that my insurance company reimbursed me for 100%. (Probably because they were far less than I would have paid at home.

There was a guest on Adventure (within the last few years) who was treated in the medical facility and then we sailed to Curaçao to have him brought by ambulance to a hospital. We were headed to Aruba at the time and returned to Curaçao days later.

R.Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a full medical facility on board most ships, with at least two nurses and one doctor. Maybe many more on Oasis class mega-vessels.

But if you have anything at all "serious" you will be unceremoniously offloaded at the next port of call.

They charge like the Light Brigade, including $150 for "post-mortem" care after you have croaked, for a body bag and a few cotton plugs and freezer space. No refund for the food you didn't consume!

Depending on your insurance, you will most likely get reimbursed for the medical bill from the ship medical infirmary. However, I highly recommend travel insurance because (heaven forbid) if you get seriously ill and need extreme critical medical care and/or medical evacuation, trip insurance will be immediately contacted to help with the expenses. Also keep in mind, the transportation home and other things that come up when the ship disembarks you for medical care may also be covered by travel insurance.

My brother in law had a heart malfunction on board his norway cruise. He got an irregular heartbeat and They had to jump start his heart back into rhythm using the paddles. Bill was $3000 ish. Even though insurance told ship they'd pay them directly over the phone they wouldn't accept it lol. We had to pay on credit card and claim it back. Guess they didn't trust the insurance companies bank lol. Good news was we got the airmiles for it and insurance re paid us within a week. Oh yeah and brother in law ok now too [emoji6][emoji6]

My dad also used the services when rough seas caused him to fall over backwards on the sports court, no charge was made for the xrays or doc but he had to sign a disclaimer saying he wouldn't sue 🤣

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On Freedom OTS I got a sunburn (I'm a red headed Canadian we don't tan) then got what I later read as being called "hell itch" which is aptly named. After about an hour of misery I went down to medical and asked the nurse if there was something I could do without seeing the doc. Being Canadian I was paranoid about medical bills. She handed me some pills, charged about $5 and I was happy. Knocked cold for a bit but no further issues.

My then DD (now DS) aggravated an old ankle injury on another voyage when we hit a rough patch. We tried doing our standard treatments in the cabin then reluctantly brought her to medical. Before starting treatment we asked if we could use their phone to call or travel insurance to get pre approval, but were told there wouldn't be a charge. A five minute interview with the Safety Officer, xRay and casting and we were outta there.

Really glad we had the wheelchair with us (had been recovering from 2 injured ankles at the same time).

Got a copy of the xRay and medical records and no bill. No issues.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

Our experience on the Celebrity Infinity was top notch. DH had a surgical incision become infected ( we were cleared to cruise by the surgeon 2 days prior to leaving). The doctor on board immediately placed him on IV antibiotics and drained the infection. Checked on him daily and changed the dressing. The Aqua Class dining room even excused him from wearing a tie as the incision was straight across his throat. We paid the medical bill which in total was less than $200. I could not believe the bill was so little. Being Canadian I was expecting to have to have to max out my Credit card.

On Celebrity, both my wife and I got norovirus. My wife went down with it first and then I gay it later. We had very good treatment in the medical centre.

We were confined to the cabin until we had recovered.

Both times the cabin was thoroughly cleaned including the ceilings and walls. Also the corridor outside.

We also had some laundry done free and some compensation when we got home.

On the Independence, I fell as I was going back into the Diamond lounge on deck 14. Hit my left shoulder on one of the columns. This was about 9.00 p.m. Lots of staff came, including security.

Tried to sleep but went to the Medical centre at 7.00 a.m. Doctor came and let me in even though it only opened at 8.00 a.m.

Had Xray but no fracture. Had a sling on for several days. No charge as it happened on the ship. Security said they had a recording of what happened from one of the many security cameras.

We are British and did not have to make a claim on our travel insurance.

Very good service both times.

On our recent trip on Liberty of the Seas, my husband realized he left his spare rescue inhaler at home and only had around 10 puffs left in the one he had. We went to the medical center and the doctor saw him promptly and they had exactly what we needed. We were surprised at how reasonable the charges ended up being. They were amazing and really helped relieve our stress!

• 2 weeks later...

I have!

The last cruise I went on, I had a sinus infection before the cruise. I went to my doc the week before and said "I think I have a sinus infection, can you give me something to make me better before my cruise?" I was told it was only a "sinus irritation" and was prescribed medication.

The first few days of taking the meds made me feel fine. Five days later, I'm stuck in my cabin, too weak to stand up. I finally muster up the strength and head down to the infirmary. One 3 min. check up later, they said "Yup, you have a sinus infection. Take this moxacillian and you'll be better in 3-5 days." I was, indeed, better!

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know if they have a ultrasound machine on Anthem? My daughter just found out that she has an ovarian cyst, and she is supposed to be going on a cruise in a few weeks. She is in no pain. The doctor isn't too concerned right now, and just wants to follow up in 6 weeks with another ultrasound. Problem is my daughter is a worry wart, and I think if I told her they can do an ultrasound if it starts bothering her she will feel more relaxed about going. It's only a 5 day cruise to Bermuda.

Does anyone know if they have a ultrasound machine on Anthem? My daughter just found out that she has an ovarian cyst, and she is supposed to be going on a cruise in a few weeks. She is in no pain. The doctor isn't too concerned right now, and just wants to follow up in 6 weeks with another ultrasound. Problem is my daughter is a worry wart, and I think if I told her they can do an ultrasound if it starts bothering her she will feel more relaxed about going. It's only a 5 day cruise to Bermuda.

I'd ask special_needs@rccl.com.

And if it starts bothering her and they do an ultrasound then what? She already knows she has a cyst. I don't much see what difference it makes if they have an ultrasound machine or not. I am quite sure the hospitals in Bermuda have US available. Tell her it is a short cruise to Bermuda and she has all the capabilities of a hospital if she really needs one while she is there.

And if it starts bothering her and they do an ultrasound then what? She already knows she has a cyst. I don't much see what difference it makes if they have an ultrasound machine or not. I am quite sure the hospitals in Bermuda have US available. Tell her it is a short cruise to Bermuda and she has all the capabilities of a hospital if she really needs one while she is there.

This nurse agrees with the doctor.

Ovarian cysts are extremely common and not a big deal, particularly since she's not in any pain now.

Whether they have ultrasound on board or not (and I'd be willing to bet that they do -- portable ultrasounds aren't that expensive and are a helpful diagnostic tool in emergency situations), she'd still need to go to the hospital if something unusual happened and she needed surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago aboard Oasis of the Seas my then 4 year old daughter had her hand get stuck in to the glass elevator door and get sucked into the wall. Very traumatic experience for all involved. The medical center was great. Her hand was very swollen, bruised and scraped. They x rayed her hand, wrapped it in a bandage and gave us a whole bottle of children's advil. They had us return the following day for a check up and they called to our room to check in multiple times too. Never saw a bill, again probably cause she was injured on the ship.

Her hand ended taking the next three months to fully heal. We visited her pediatrician when we got home and had more x rays done. He then referred us to the pediatric orthopedic surgeon who continued to see us every other week until her hand was fully healed.

My daughter still talks about how she "broke" her hand on the cruise ship!

Has anyone subscribed to one of these "rescue services" that claim to arrange medical care and even emergency evacuation to get you home or to a hospital? We've been getting some adverts lately . .. Worth while? Thanks!

Neither do you. It is Sudafed.

LOL! Thanks, OceanBoy. I was an English major and thought my vocab. was pretty good, but I kept saying "Soo-doffed" and wondering what that could possibly be! Sudafed, I know. :D

Has anyone subscribed to one of these "rescue services" that claim to arrange medical care and even emergency evacuation to get you home or to a hospital? We've been getting some adverts lately . .. Worth while? Thanks!

have not seen but of course out of country services are what is critical for cruise purposes.

Some of it probably has to do with the country in which they have their training. Having lived in the US and U.K., when I needed OTC medicine for a bad cough, I had no trouble in St Maarten's Dutch side. They could easily translate U.K. meds to what they had, and had a number of U.K. Brands.

It is always wise to know not just drug brand names like Sudafed but also the actual medicine name and international equivalents when traveling outside your country, especially if you have any allergies. Just keep that info on hand in your wallet, in case you lose them or need to ask about interactions, etc.

That's why I travel with my wife the pharmacist :halo: