Next cyclone on its way- Cyclone Cook

Guest zafra63
We are on the Golden at the moment, currently the itinerary has been rearranged to do Fiji first and basically do a reverse itinerary. No ports to be dropped at this stage. We will see what the weather brings [emoji1]

Thanks for the update. We are following the ship, friends are on board. We hope all will go ok, stay safe!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A weather expert talking about Cyclone Debbie and the following Low, said to expect more cyclones as they often come in clusters when the water is the correct temperature for forming of cyclones. Seems he was right.

Sad to hear Cyclone Cook is forecast to be a category 4 and pass directly over Lifou and Noumea. I hope all the people are safe.

At least ships can reroute to avoid cyclones.

Apparently the Carnival Spirit is headed to Morton Island not far off Brisbane instead of Noumea. Unsure of other details at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Beautiful sunny weather at Moreton Island. If they don't cruise overseas, what will happen with their duty free?

A weather expert talking about Cyclone Debbie and the following Low, said to expect more cyclones as they often come in clusters when the water is the correct temperature for forming of cyclones. Seems he was right.

It often appears to happen that way.

Looks like Vila may have escaped the worst of Cook. A local tour operator has posted on FB this morning:

"Were good thanks, few minor damage but wasn't that bad like the previous one TC PAM" and "glad to say Mele cascade waterfalls back running again after TC Cook."

Just hoping that other places also are spared.

Beautiful sunny weather at Moreton Island. If they don't cruise overseas, what will happen with their duty free?

Maybe they make a dash for willis island or they pay the fine or they reimburse all the passengers that bought the duty free.

Looks like Vila may have escaped the worst of Cook. A local tour operator has posted on FB this morning:

"Were good thanks, few minor damage but wasn't that bad like the previous one TC PAM" and "glad to say Mele cascade waterfalls back running again after TC Cook."

Just hoping that other places also are spared.

That is good to hear.:D

If Cook stays on track it will hit Auckland and the Bay of Plenty..(Tauranga,Rotorua)

on Thursday and Good Friday.

Looks like a wet Easter for already sodden areas.:eek:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11836509

Now there are fresh concerns Cyclone Cook may make landfall closer to Auckland and the Coromandel sending even more rain over the flood-hit Bay of Plenty.

Totally off this topic but thought I would mention that Cruise Ships will start calling at Airlie again on Thursday. I posted in the other thread that I very much doubted it would be so soon, but it appears I was wrong. Hopefully, they can bring some much needed income to the area.

I had also read somewhere that with the way the climate is changing, that we can expect less cyclones thoughout the season but they will be much more severe when they do brew up.

Totally off this topic but thought I would mention that Cruise Ships will start calling at Airlie again on Thursday. I posted in the other thread that I very much doubted it would be so soon, but it appears I was wrong. Hopefully, they can bring some much needed income to the area.

I had also read somewhere that with the way the climate is changing, that we can expect less cyclones thoughout the season but they will be much more severe when they do brew up.

No off topic, Pacific Dawn in at Airlie tomorrow and the area can do with a boost.

If Cook stays on track it will hit Auckland and the Bay of Plenty..(Tauranga,Rotorua)

Now there are fresh concerns Cyclone Cook may make landfall closer to Auckland and the Coromandel sending even more rain over the flood-hit Bay of Plenty.

Hope people stay safe. I will be in Auckland for the World Master Games next week, hope it is a bit dryer for that.

Oh dear ..... I hope Cyclone Cook doesn't stay on track, as the North Island is water logged already from Debbie's Low. The weather map shows both islands could receive torrential rain.

Good reminder to those who cruise, that our cyclone season is November to April.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Easter.

Just read that a tropical low off NT, which is skirting the Tiwi Islands, is expected to become a Cyclone.

Any ships heading for Darwin?

Good news that the Low didn't become a Cyclone and missed the Tiwi Islands.

Now there is a weather warning for North Kimberly Coast, Western Australia (possible cyclone).

Hope people stay safe. I will be in Auckland for the World Master Games next week, hope it is a bit dryer for that.

Can we expect a gold medal or three from you, Uncle Mic. Above all, enjoy !!!:p

Hope your polo pony survives the trip, Mic.

Might pay to get yourself a real mudrunner next time though old boy...

:cool:

My pony drowned when we tried water polo. And I just seemed to go through so many chickens when playing shuttle cock. Since then I have tried new sports that don't involve animals.;p

Look forward to hearing of all your medals!!! I hope it's dryer next week too as we sail out of Auckland on Wednesday on emerald princess for 31 days to Vancouver and Alaska. Fingers crossed it settles down next week!