BlueIguana-Burrito bowls?

landsear

My daughter had two taco salads while on our last cruise, and I found that they gave lettuce and other items, sparingly.

They add more, but you definitely need to ask for more, lettuce for example.

Is lettuce not on the fixings bar?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

iceberg lettuce is just filler. There's less than 50 calories in an entire head. Almost zero nutrients, except a small amount of potassium. Better to swag some mixed greens or spinach, if available. Otherwise, while you may think you're eating your veggies, you're getting zip. Add on the pico de gallo for the tomatoes, onions and peppers. Reduce or pass on any sauce/salsa that's not just pulsed peppers. Tomatillo sauce is a good one to get.

IMO, lo-Carb folks need to wisen-up on types of carbs. Carbs are your fuel. You need carbs. Preferably complex carbs. What you don't need is simple carbs, like a ton of sugar. The wrap used in a burrito isn't going to make you fat or wreck your system. Too many fried taco shell bowls might.

iceberg lettuce is just filler. There's less than 50 calories in an entire head. Almost zero nutrients, except a small amount of potassium. Better to swag some mixed greens or spinach, if available. Otherwise, while you may think you're eating your veggies, you're getting zip. Add on the pico de gallo for the tomatoes, onions and peppers. Reduce or pass on any sauce/salsa that's not just pulsed peppers. Tomatillo sauce is a good one to get.

IMO, lo-Carb folks need to wisen-up on types of carbs. Carbs are your fuel. You need carbs. Preferably complex carbs. What you don't need is simple carbs, like a ton of sugar. The wrap used in a burrito isn't going to make you fat or wreck your system. Too many fried taco shell bowls might.

I admit I'm probably taking this more personal than you meant it to be. I won't eat the fried taco shell bowl either! Haha. I'm aware of complex carbs and simple sugary carbs. I honestly don't like the taste of tortilla shells for a taco. I'd rather have a slice of whole grain toast with butter with my breakfast than have the shell on a burrito.

I have lost over 100lbs by greatly reducing my carb intake, and have maintained this for three years, including a pregnancy. I do understand how to eat properly on a low carb diet :) I agree, some others may not!

Take a plate, or a bowl, or just use the taco shell they provide and don't eat it. You can get whatever fixins you like there, then there is the salsa bar, and if you want to fluff it up more, you can always swing by the salad bar for darker greens, olives etc...

Personally I order the bowls, because I like them. For some reason I am just not a fan of a burrito or how messy they are to eat. So putting the ingredients on my plate or bowl without the tortilla works for me. It has nothing to do with carbs for me.

I admit I'm probably taking this more personal than you meant it to be. I won't eat the fried taco shell bowl either! Haha. I'm aware of complex carbs and simple sugary carbs. I honestly don't like the taste of tortilla shells for a taco. I'd rather have a slice of whole grain toast with butter with my breakfast than have the shell on a burrito.

I have lost over 100lbs by greatly reducing my carb intake, and have maintained this for three years, including a pregnancy. I do understand how to eat properly on a low carb diet :) I agree, some others may not!

Congratulations on the HUGE weight loss!!!!:cool::D

You are incorrect. There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. You can live on zero carbs and be healthy doing so. Of course that would be difficult to accomplish, and hey, I like green vegetables. However, if you want to lose weight or if you're diabetic, limiting carbs is your best bet especially if you're insulin resistant.

You are incorrect. There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. You can live on zero carbs and be healthy doing so. Of course that would be difficult to accomplish, and hey, I like green vegetables. However, if you want to lose weight or if you're diabetic, limiting carbs is your best bet especially if you're insulin resistant.

I think you'll be surprised by the amount of carbs in veggies! Now if you're talking only bread or flour products, that's a different story. And if you're also talking about potatoes, think again as a potato is one of nature's most complete foods on a stand alone basis.

I think you'll be surprised by the amount of carbs in veggies! Now if you're talking only bread or flour products, that's a different story. And if you're also talking about potatoes, think again as a potato is one of nature's most complete foods on a stand alone basis.

I wouldn't be surprised since I've been counting carbohydrates for years. Most green veggies have very little carbs. Corn, parsnips, potatoes have quite a bit. Potatoes are mostly starch and while they do contain many nutrients, none of them are special to potatoes. The potatoes can be cooked in a way that render much of the starch undigestable, thus yields less of an insulin response.