I have never done WJ for dinner.

Have not seen lobster in the WJ...guess we are missing that somewhere, but does not bother

me since I don't like "warm water tails" anyway. True name: "Crawfish of the seas". ;p

We fill up on the real lobster when we go to Maine in the summer. :hearteyes:

On our last cruise in March, we didn't dock until 2pm at one of the ports we visited (Bonaire if I recall correctly). We had a shore excursion and didn't get back until after our early seating so we went to Windjammer for the first time after 18 cruises. While we thought it was good, I really prefer to be waited on while on vacation. They did offer lamb and strip steaks cooked on the grill but they weren't worth waiting in line for 10+ minutes in my opinion.

I'm actually happy that more and more people enjoy the Windjammer. It just means that the dining room will have less diners thereby speeding up the time to eat.

I'm actually happy that more and more people enjoy the Windjammer. It just means that the dining room will have less diners thereby speeding up the time to eat.

You can eat as fast as you want - without too much trouble you can get out of the MDR in 45 minutes with dessert if you asked.

Have not seen lobster in the WJ...guess we are missing that somewhere, but does not bother

me since I don't like "warm water tails" anyway. True name: "Crawfish of the seas". ;p

We fill up on the real lobster when we go to Maine in the summer. :hearteyes:

I have only seen them in the Windjammer once. It was either on Oasis or Allure, I can't remember which right now. The tails were so bad it didn't matter what you poured onto them.... They were still bad.

We have not used the MDR for some time now. We really enjoy the atmosphere in the Windjammer for dinner. However, lately it seems that more and more people are getting the same idea so it is not always as quiet as it used to be.

We had dinner in the WJ every night on our January Enchantment Cruise. We were very disappointed, most of the food was the same as lunch, there was maybe 1 entree and 1 appetizer from the menu the night before. The quality of the food was the same as at lunch. What really surprised us was that it was very crowded, most nights we had trouble finding a table. There was a large group on the ship from some sort of nutritional supplement company, they were from all over the world. I think they all ate in the WJ every night.

We had dinner in the WJ on our last cruise. It was quiet and the food was a notch above the lunches. On our last 3 cruises, we've had dinner only once or twice in the MDR. The rest of the time we eat in specialty restaurants and we will be in the WJ for a couple of nights on our next cruise.

So then all you WJ converts, don't complain when the MDR on the Icon class is smaller because RCI assumes many folks don't want to go there.

Biker, who thinks just as the MTD numbers are going up (away from traditional) so are the WJ numbers.

Why would be complain about the size of the dining room when we are happy to eat in the WJ?

We eat in the Windjammer 90% of the time and the other time in a specialty restaurant. We are not the 'sit for hours and eat' type of people and the only time we do is when we go to Giovannis. We much prefer to choose from the large selection in the buffet and not have to dress for dinner. We are on vacation and don't want to be on a schedule :cool:

Totally agree. I would honestly opt out of the MDR on our next cruise. We love the WJ for dinner. I like to just wear shorts, get up and get what I want, when I want it. Waiters are very nice and are there to help and eager to help. Lights are low.

One more question. When it comes time at the end of the cruise, when you do your tipping. If you eat all your meals in the windjammer. What do you do about the gratuities for the head waiter and asst. waiter and everyone in the MDR? Do you still leave them their gratuities? Sorry, if this seems like a stupid question. We have always eaten in the MDR, but with our upcoming cruise, we are thinking about just eating all our meals in the Windjammer. We are just wanting to take it easy, and not have to worry about dressing up every night. Thank you in advance for you responses.

We like the Windjammer, but it did seem a bit repetitive after a while, so I wouldn't want every meal there. Yes, I know. The same could be said of the MDR once you have enough cruises under your belt, but we're not there yet.

One more question. When it comes time at the end of the cruise, when you do your tipping. If you eat all your meals in the windjammer. What do you do about the gratuities for the head waiter and asst. waiter and everyone in the MDR? Do you still leave them their gratuities? Sorry, if this seems like a stupid question. We have always eaten in the MDR, but with our upcoming cruise, we are thinking about just eating all our meals in the Windjammer. We are just wanting to take it easy, and not have to worry about dressing up every night. Thank you in advance for you responses.

We always prepay our gratuities and tip anyone who we think deserves it as we go.

If you either pre-pay the gratuities or have them charged to your seapass account RCI take care of distributing them. You don't have to worry about it. If someone in the Windjammer goes above and beyond for you and you would like to hand them some extra cash that is fine but not necessary.

Hmmm... I'm currently stressing a bit about how much we need to pack for Alaska (14 mos away, so lots of time to stress ;)). Going to WJ a few nights would really help with packing less :). I'll have to discuss with DH...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You might get two to start - we did on Navigator two weeks ago.

Our friend ordered 2 for himself on Liberty, then asked the rest of us who weren't having any, to also order him one. The waiter laughed and told him he could have as many as he wanted. He kept it at 4, though.

do you anticipate eating at all in MDR?

I have only seen them in the Windjammer once. It was either on Oasis or Allure, I can't remember which right now. The tails were so bad it didn't matter what you poured onto them.... They were still bad.

Yeah, fishy rubber bands...always over cooked. ;p

Hmmm... I'm currently stressing a bit about how much we need to pack for Alaska (14 mos away, so lots of time to stress ;)). Going to WJ a few nights would really help with packing less :). I'll have to discuss with DH...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't worry about dressing up for dinner on your cruise. Alaska cruises always seem to be a bit more casual. We did not see much (if any at all) formal wear on our Radiance B2B last August.

Side tip: If you like to wear light fleece tops, they are super easy to hand wash and hang to dry in your cabin. Helped me out a bunch! ;)

Lots of great feedback here. Thanks. As a solo cruiser, 9 day Anthem NE/Canada wondering if I'm better off in MDR traditional and meeting some folks or striking out on my own in WJ. Do people let you sit with them in WJ or would I be on my own? (I'm ok either way).