Bad news about booking on board and OBC

cocoaloco

;) In a month the system will change for onboard booking. I was on the Vista when this was first introduced,,,,,basically the future cruise person on board will not exist. The only benefit to booking on board will be $50 OBC no matter the length (no more $200 OBC for the long cruises.) this is really bad...to do a future cruise you will go to the excursions desk.... need I say more...:*

Similar to what Royal did a few years ago. Back then and now, I will buy several open bookings. That is, if they are "grandfathered in" like Royal's were at the time. Still, a loss. Friends with so many of the Future Cruise agents...

Similar to what Royal did a few years ago. Back then and now, I will buy several open bookings. That is, if they are "grandfathered in" like Royal's were at the time. Still, a loss. Friends with so many of the Future Cruise agents...

Carnival doesn't offer open bookings anymore unfortunately. Wish they did. Just used my Open Passages Certificate for my Celebrity Edge sailing.

Boo! :mad:

So when, exactly, does this start?

Was going to wait until my July 2 cruise to book a 14-day Alaska cruise, but if the OBC is gone, I won't bother...or maybe I'll just book on Princess where we get $250 OBC for being veterans :confused:

Oh and you can get the same deal by booking when you get home. You have like 6 weeks or something. I'll have to look it up tonight. So there's no need for the future cruise person.

I was going to say that it really wouldn't be worth the hassle for me for $50 OBC, but if I could do it from home, I would not complain about $50.

I was going to say that it really wouldn't be worth the hassle for me for $50 OBC, but if I could do it from home, I would not complain about $50.

Except you're locked into ES Rates so that could be a deal breaker for many. Looks like they wanted to crack down on "sleeper" cruises.

;) In a month the system will change for onboard booking. I was on the Vista when this was first introduced,,,,,basically the future cruise person on board will not exist. The only benefit to booking on board will be $50 OBC no matter the length (no more $200 OBC for the long cruises.) this is really bad...to do a future cruise you will go to the excursions desk.... need I say more...:*

Interesting as I just posted this question yesterday. I had heard rumors a few months ago. I no longer book ES because Military is the same price and don't like the ES restrictions since I had to cancel/reschedule an ES booking this past year.

i wish carnival brought back the certificate program like what they had back in 2010ish and what NCL does

I agree. Sailed NCL for the first time last year and bought the $250 future cruise certificate for $100. Thought it was genius and wondered why Carnival doesn't do the same. They are good for 4 years also. So they have me hooked to go again within that time period. Great marketing.

Oh and you can get the same deal by booking when you get home. You have like 6 weeks or something. I'll have to look it up tonight. So there's no need for the future cruise person.

Really? I'm not going to spend the time on board for 50. but might visit with my TA after returning.

I wonder if the beards thought about how many people book while on board because they are having a great time and on vacation. It's easy to want to be on vacation more and book a future cruise. People might be less likely to book from home once the financial reality of their vacation hits.

Except you're locked into ES Rates so that could be a deal breaker for many. Looks like they wanted to crack down on "sleeper" cruises.

Awww, say it ain't so! Love my sleeper cruises! Did you hear that from someone at Carnival?

I can see where it would be a pain-in-the-neck for them, with booked guests calling in to change their sleeper-cruise to the cruise-they-really-want. If that's the case, then bring back the FCC's.

With this new development, it looks like one more sign that Carnival just doesn't value their past passengers. I don't understand it.

Awww, say it ain't so! Love my sleeper cruises! Did you hear that from someone at Carnival?

I can see where it would be a pain-in-the-neck for them, with booked guests calling in to change their sleeper-cruise to the cruise-they-really-want. If that's the case, then bring back the FCC's.

With this new development, it looks like one more sign that Carnival just doesn't value their past passengers. I don't understand it.

No, but that would be a good reason on why the future cruise offers are only ES now. Think about it. You can't cancel and rebook without penalty.

I wonder if the beards thought about how many people book while on board because they are having a great time and on vacation.

I would say that the beards not only know EXACTLY, to the single digit, the number of onboard bookings that are made daily, weekly and yearly, they also know TO THE PENNY, how much revenue this program generates.

No, but that would be a good reason on why the future cruise offers are only ES now. Think about it. You can't cancel and rebook without penalty.

???? Since when (ES rate only for OBC offer)?

We booked our Panama Canal cruise on board Miracle in February with the Military rate and received the $200 OBC.

I would say that the beards not only know EXACTLY, to the single digit, the number of onboard bookings that are made daily, weekly and yearly, they also know TO THE PENNY, how much revenue this program generates.

I don't doubt that one bit, but do they have ANY idea how much they are missing out on because they don't offer FCV's and/or are offering less OBC?

You can't manage/account for what you are not getting from those deciding not to buy.

We used to buy the Future Cruise Certificates (vouchers, whatever) on EVERY cruise. Didn't have to waste cruising time looking for the perfect 'next' cruise while on board, but still had us "hooked" on booking another one.

I fail to see Carnival's aversion to FCV's these days, especially if they made them electronic and easily redeemable.

If people can use an iTunes gift card, they can use an FCV, and if they get bought, and then forgotten about, free $$$ in Carnival's pocket. I just don't get it at all.

GP

Miracle is not one of the ships that has the new way yet. I know Vista and Glory do.

Interesting.

I don't know why they are messing up a good thing. If the offer still exists on Breeze in July, we'll book the 14-day Alaska cruise on Splendor. If not, we'll look elsewhere.

I couldn't care less about pillow chocolates, aft pools, or other piddly stuff, but once they start messing with the $, it's time to check out other lines. :(

The less Carnival has to do to entice the customer the more money they bank.

Their sales are actually great right now so look for more of your options to disappear .

Here are the offers in my VIFP profile ever since getting off the Vista. I have the standard ones as well that regular Past Guests get, but these are because of my recent cruise. Notice one gives OBC (ES) and one doesn't (not ES).

Early Saver Exclusive VIFP Club Member Offer

Early Saver plus $50 non-refundable Onboard Credit per stateroom plus 50% reduced deposits and 2 category upgrade

Offer is valid for guests with a valid VIFP Club Member number. Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Onboard Credit is provided as a non-refundable and non-transferable credit to your Sail & Sign account of $25 per person up to $50 per stateroom. Onboard Credit may not be applied to cruise fare or Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses range from $58.63 to $367.25 and are additional for each guest based on itinerary. Guest may select the stateroom but category exclusions apply. 2 category upgrade is automatically assigned at the time of booking, based on availability in like to like categories only (interior to interior, ocean view to ocean view and balcony to balcony). Free room location upgrade not available in suite, obstructed & cove categories. 50% per person reduced deposit is applicable to sailings outside of final payment due date and is valid for all ships, stateroom types and sail dates. Deposit is non-refundable. Early Saver fare is backed by a unique price protection policy and does not apply to group rates, membership rates, select promotions, or travel agent promotions. No name changes are allowed. Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. The future cruise credit must be used for bookings in USD currency within 24 months from the date of cancellation. Offer does not apply to Carnival Australia. Offer is applicable on sailings where Early Saver or Last Call is available through April 2019. Offer is applicable on new bookings only and guests have up to 6 weeks to book. To submit a Price Protection claim, visit https://www.carnival.com/cruise-deals/early-saver/price-protection.aspx. Requests will be accepted up to two business days prior to sailing.

Exclusive VIFP Club Member Rates

VIFP Club Member Exclusive rates

Offer is valid for guests with a qualifying VIFP Club Member number. Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses range from $58.63 to $367.25 and are additional for each guest based on itinerary. Guest may select the stateroom but category restrictions and exclusions apply. Carnival reserves the right to withdraw and/or change offer at any time without prior notice. Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. Offer does not apply to Carnival Australia. Offer is applicable on select sailings only. Offer is applicable on new bookings only and guests have up to 6 weeks to book.

Well that stinks! I usually put down a deposit using the military rate while on a cruise and am one of the people guilty of moving my booking around. I will NEVER book early saver, so this new program is worthless to me. I really wish they would bring back the future cruise certificate or whatever it is called. Honestly, I have been sailing a mix of NCL, Royal, and Carnival, and enjoy the varied cruise products. I especially like the NCL new ships with awesome amenities and FREE booze package (yes, I know you pay $99 for gratuity)...plus they have the future cruise certificate that is a good deal. I have 120 days on Carnival and don't really see a point to work towards Diamond, as the benefits are not that great. I'd rather build up my loyalty to Royal and NCL where the higher tier status gives you things I personally prefer (free booze, free dinner in specialty restaurant every sailing, etc). All these cutbacks make me feel like a less valued customer.

Well that stinks! I usually put down a deposit using the military rate while on a cruise and am one of the people guilty of moving my booking around. I will NEVER book early saver, so this new program is worthless to me. I really wish they would bring back the future cruise certificate or whatever it is called. Honestly, I have been sailing a mix of NCL, Royal, and Carnival, and enjoy the varied cruise products. I especially like the NCL new ships with awesome amenities and FREE booze package (yes, I know you pay $99 for gratuity)...plus they have the future cruise certificate that is a good deal. I have 120 days on Carnival and don't really see a point to work towards Diamond, as the benefits are not that great. I'd rather build up my loyalty to Royal and NCL where the higher tier status gives you things I personally prefer (free booze, free dinner in specialty restaurant every sailing, etc). All these cutbacks make me feel like a less valued customer.

I have no problem booking ES, but not for a measly $50 OBC on 7-and 14-day cruises. I shop strictly for price and itinerary. I've figured the OBC deals in with price. So far, Carnival has (usually) won out, as the OBC puts a good dent in our gratuities. If they take them away, not so much.

You may want to check out Princess. I realize they are owned by the same company, but they give a $250 OBC for military/veterans, and they have a much better loyalty program. We haven't cruised them because they don't cruise from ports near us, but now that we are taking longer cruises farther away, that becomes moot.