State Department issues travel alert for Europe

MixerDave

Hi all,

I have been reading this thread with interest and having lived in Belfast for the last forty odd years during 'the troubles' terrorisim was almost a daily occurrence one just lived with it. Like the respondents here people just took the basic precautions and got on with life, I as a firefighter would have had more direct contact than most 'civilians' with the end results of terrorist acts,but it never stopped me getting on with life. I done a quick google search and in Western Europe there were approximately 175 terror related deaths in 2015 and in NYC in the same year there were 330 reported murders so on this basis you are more likely to be murdered than killed in a terrorist attack. My point being would terrorism prevent me taking a holiday in Europe Hell No would I have a holiday in NYC Hell Yes

[emoji1417][emoji602][emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all,

I have been reading this thread with interest and having lived in Belfast for the last forty odd years during 'the troubles' terrorisim was almost a daily occurrence one just lived with it. Like the respondents here people just took the basic precautions and got on with life, I as a firefighter would have had more direct contact than most 'civilians' with the end results of terrorist acts,but it never stopped me getting on with life. I done a quick google search and in Western Europe there were approximately 175 terror related deaths in 2015 and in NYC in the same year there were 330 reported murders so on this basis you are more likely to be murdered than killed in a terrorist attack. My point being would terrorism prevent me taking a holiday in Europe Hell No would I have a holiday in NYC Hell Yes

Yes, there are more murders in NYC, but take time to determine where the murders took place. The vast majority were in places where no tourist every goes. They are in neighborhoods that Americans know to avoid.

Terror attacks, on the other hand usually take place in places that are frequently visited by tourists.

Yes, there are more murders in NYC, but take time to determine where the murders took place. The vast majority were in places where no tourist every goes. They are in neighborhoods that Americans know to avoid.

That's not really accurate information. Not sure where you are getting that from.

That's not really accurate information. Not sure where you are getting that from.

And just where are you getting your information from? Most of the shootings in our area are in ethnic neighborhoods against each other. Other murders here are between people who know each other. The one big mass murder here was by a racist against people attending a church meeting. How are tourists involved? BTW we are in a well known tourist city.

... The vast majority were in places where no tourist every goes. They are in neighborhoods that Americans know to avoid....

So, are you saying that all of the NYC murder victims were foreigners? Because Americans know to avoid those places where murders happen...

So, are you saying that all of the NYC murder victims were foreigners? Because Americans know to avoid those places where murders happen...

The meaning was "white middle-class cruise-taking Americans".

NYC was probably a bad choice for comparing murder stats. But given the number of homicides of white middle-class cruise-taking Americans by their own family members across the country, you're probably statistically safer going on a European cruise than staying at home!

Stuart

And just where are you getting your information from?

From two places:

1. From watching the news-- in the last few days, two bodies were found in Central Park. No tourist ever goes to Central Park......

2. I searched crime stats because I was interested and thought some random statements that had no proof aren't accurate (and I was correct). Not that I don't agree that most murders aren't random violence- AND that NYC is a very "safe" big city- but there are no facts to support the statement that I originally replied to.

From two places:

1. From watching the news-- in the last few days, two bodies were found in Central Park. No tourist ever goes to Central Park......

Oh yeah, I forgot. "It must be true, I saw it on the TV news." Especially since it is NY City news. I suppose it's still true. Nothing exists West of the Hudson.

Check it out with a map

http://crimeresearch.org/2017/04/number-murders-county-54-us-counties-2014-zero-murders-69-1-murder/

For example, I lived in the Washington, DC area for five years. Where I lived there were no murders. The map for DC area shows Anacostia as one of the worst for murders. Most people didn't even drive through the interstete through Anacostia.

On another note, this is good news for us traveling this summer!

Department of Homeland Security officials met with airline industry representatives Thursday to discuss the possibility of expanding a ban on laptop computers and other large electronic devices as carry-ons on planes flying to the U.S. from Europe.

Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly ended the meeting with no decision to adopt an expansion but promised to continue to study the idea.

As for me, I'm quite happy to continue all my travel plans, and love both land-based touring and cruising (I usually combine the two).

One of my most memorable trips was a land-based 2 week tour in Turkey. It definitely was one of my travel highlights. At the time there hadn't been any tourist-related crime in years. I felt safer than driving around the beltway in Washington DC where I worked for 35 years. I am saddened by the current situation there, especially because the lovely guides, drivers, and people are affected by the drop in tourism and the political unrest.

As for the universal threat of pickpockets in tourist-oriented locations I take the precautions as recommended. And the only time I had a wallet stolen was from my locker in the nurses locker room in the very large hospital I worked in DC.

Before I went to Europe in April, I was a bit nervous about the unrest. If I hadn't already booked and paid for my cruise, I might have stayed home. I am happy that I went. Just back from 3 weeks in Europe. No problems. Europeans welcome American tourists. Most are friendlier than ever. I was careful. I dressed in drab colors and left my bling at home. I rode in planes, trains, trams, boats, cars, etc. At no time did I feel uneasy. I'd go back again without any hesitation.

I'm more worried about the "you can't take any electronic device larger than a cell phone onto the plane" message being mentioned as potentially expanding to Europe/US flights this summer!

Yes! If I can't have my Switch on my long flight I will be pissed!

What about all those lorries?

Good point [emoji41]. Not as bad as you may think though as the European lorry drivers have become used to driving on the correct side [emoji12]. They wont be over here once Brexit happens.

Apparently Donaldo is considering an offer from Theresa Mayo that UK takes up the dollar & becomes 51st state providing USA agrees to drive vehicles on left side of road.

I'm more worried about the "you can't take any electronic device larger than a cell phone onto the plane" message being mentioned as potentially expanding to Europe/US flights this summer!

Me too.

I don't want to have to check my kindle, all that time on the plane without it. But, I'd really hate to check my camera and all those lenses. Especially with the luggage people that reminds me of that old Samsamite commercial with the gorillas tossing the suitcases back and forth.

IF they break my camera, I doubt the airplane compensation would cover it. And I'm pretty sure travel guard doesn't cover full cost.

I don't want to cruise w/o my kindle. And the last time we cruised celebrity, they emptied the library.

Apparently Donaldo is considering an offer from Theresa Mayo that UK takes up the dollar & becomes 51st state providing USA agrees to drive vehicles on left side of road.

Ain't gonna happen. We're still resisting the metric system.:p

Check it out with a map

http://crimeresearch.org/2017/04/number-murders-county-54-us-counties-2014-zero-murders-69-1-murder/

For example, I lived in the Washington, DC area for five years. Where I lived there were no murders. The map for DC area shows Anacostia as one of the worst for murders. Most people didn't even drive through the interstete through Anacostia.

I'd take that CPRC study with a large grain of salt. John Lott has a disgraceful history of cherry-picking and falsifying data and designing studies that cannot fail to corroborate his POV (he's a gun activist). He's been 'shamed' before for his false claims (e.g., presenting false data at government hearings; claiming to have articles published in peer-reviewed journals when they were never even accepted....). Now he hides behind this respectable-sounding CPRC organization.

For example, read here: https://thinkprogress.org/debunking-john-lott-5456e83cf326

and here:https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2013/10/28/gun-researcher-john-lott-offers-false-firearm-s/196621

I'd take that CPRC study with a large grain of salt. John Lott has a disgraceful history of cherry-picking and falsifying data and designing studies that cannot fail to corroborate his POV (he's a gun activist). He's been 'shamed' before for his false claims (e.g., presenting false data at government hearings; claiming to have articles published in peer-reviewed journals when they were never even accepted....). Now he hides behind this respectable-sounding CPRC organization.

For example, read here: https://thinkprogress.org/debunking-john-lott-5456e83cf326

and here:https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2013/10/28/gun-researcher-john-lott-offers-false-firearm-s/196621

cruisemom,

thanks for the links. It seems that Lott is deeply involved in the gun issue, which I don't want to address, since it crosses the line on politics here.

Not sure why the original link that I posted is incorrect.

All you have to do in the USA is follow the crime reports in the new and track the locations.

George

Quoting thinkprogress and mediamatters is no more accurate than the first citing. Everyone knows what their agendas are. ADT (I'm a customer) allows me to click on crime maps for my market. They're based upon local police reports without any editorial. My local police department lists crimes reported by types and areas too. I'm smart enough to form my own opinion.

cruisemom,

thanks for the links. It seems that Lott is deeply involved in the gun issue, which I don't want to address, since it crosses the line on politics here.

Not sure why the original link that I posted is incorrect.

All you have to do in the USA is follow the crime reports in the new and track the locations.

George

I didn't say it was incorrect, simply that i wouldn't necessarily trust it to be 100% accurate. There's a difference. One is always wise to look at multiple sources. However, a great many people don't have the tools to compare studies with different inclusion criteria, endpoints, statistical methods, etc.

One may argue about viewpoints, but it's difficult for me, as a scientific editor, to consider someone as reliable who has a history of proven fraud and false claims -- those are incontrovertible facts, not opinion.

Me too. I don't want to have to check my kindle, all that time on the plane without it. But, I'd really hate to check my camera and all those lenses. Especially with the luggage people that reminds me of that old Samsamite commercial with the gorillas tossing the suitcases back and forth.

IF they break my camera, I doubt the airplane compensation would cover it. And I'm pretty sure travel guard doesn't cover full cost.

I don't want to cruise w/o my kindle. And the last time we cruised celebrity, they emptied the library.

For us in the U.S., it is not as bad as it might be for those in Europe. So far at least no restrictions on cameras, iPads etc when leaving the States. Coming back from Europe, placing my library of books (iPad) in a suitcase will be painful. I might need to take along an actual printed book just to read on that flight. Camera bodies? I will put each one in a separate suitcase with very careful wrapping. Camera lenses? They will stay with me on the plane, there should be no restrictions as they are not battery driven. If anything happens to my gear I will be very upset but it will not be a major crisis. If my iPad or any of my camera bodies are damaged or stolen, I will let my insurance company and the airline fight it out. But I will be at the end of my trip. Those originating in Europe coming to this hemisphere for cruise etc are at much higher risk of having their vacations ruined.

Stan

Yes! If I can't have my Switch on my long flight I will be pissed!

If they won't let me bring my Kindle, loaded with mind numbing games, it will be a miserable trip to London for me and for DH. Don't understand policy on e-readers, or small tablets like Kindle or Nook.

If they won't let me bring my Kindle, loaded with mind numbing games, it will be a miserable trip to London for me and for DH. Don't understand policy on e-readers, or small tablets like Kindle or Nook.

Don't try to understand a meaningless mindless policy.

But do note that you can fly to London with your Kindle, you just can't have it with you on the flight back.

Don't try to understand a meaningless mindless policy.

But do note that you can fly to London with your Kindle, you just can't have it with you on the flight back.

Is this a done deal now? Last I heard yesterday they were just considering the ban for flights from Europe to the US but I hadn't seen where is has actually been passed. Does anyone know when it begins?