State Department issues travel alert for Europe

MixerDave

Is this a done deal now? Last I heard yesterday they were just considering the ban for flights from Europe to the US but I hadn't seen where is has actually been passed. Does anyone know when it begins?

If I understand (and how can you understand bureaucrats) It is the fact that they found laptop batteries being replaced with explosives.

Why would this also not be a problem in the US? I remember years ago you were required to to power up the laptop to prove it was not a fake device. Why did this stop?

If I understand (and how can you understand bureaucrats) It is the fact that they found laptop batteries being replaced with explosives.

Why would this also not be a problem in the US? I remember years ago you were required to to power up the laptop to prove it was not a fake device. Why did this stop?

I can't imagine how long it would take to get through security with this policy. Those people are suicide bombers. Who says they still won't plant bombs in computers that go in checked luggage. I'll be darned if I'll put an iPad in a checked bag....it's almost like a guarantee it will be stolen. This whole thing infuriates me. Security should have been stepped up a long time ago.

For us in the U.S., it is not as bad as it might be for those in Europe. .......................... Those originating in Europe coming to this hemisphere for cruise etc are at much higher risk of having their vacations ruined.

Stan

Rest assured Stan, it's no great problem for those of us in Europe.

Once the US woke up to the issues about terrorism that we'd already been dealing with in Spain, Germany, France, the UK and others for thirty or forty years, the complete over-reaction was only to be expected. Many of us were already accustomed to feeling like a potential criminal when transiting the US immigration system, which was never famous for the warmth of it's servants. I can remember being grilled more than once before even getting on a plane at Gatwick. The contrast with travelling to Canada was like night and day.

The bottom line is that even with the odd fruit cake who wants to cause carnage in a capital, we know that home life for us is pretty safe. My nephew and his wife are currently living and working in Baltimore and I fear more now for their safety than when he had three years in Columbia.

Here's a thought though - my good friend is about to take a holiday to stay with friends in the US then move on to two weeks in florida. He runs a successful business and needs to keep in touch, which means having his laptop available. The tickets were already booked when the new rules came out so they're going anyway and he will have to take his chances with his precious link to Blighty. But he's already declared that it will be the last annual visit and probably next year they'll arrange to all meet up in Canada or the Caribbean. He can't be the only one voting with his wallet.

He can't be the only one voting with his wallet.

I am! My English husband has never been with me to the States and we've been talking about a few days in New York followed by a road trip of some sort, probably 2-3 weeks. But between me not wanting to subject him to border control in NYC and the fact that I'm a freelancer who needs my computer, all bets are off at the moment.

Is this a done deal now? Last I heard yesterday they were just considering the ban for flights from Europe to the US but I hadn't seen where is has actually been passed. Does anyone know when it begins?

I'm just glad they didn't make us stop wearing unmentionables after they arrested the "underwear bomber."

According to the UPI 8:13 PM ET 05/11/2017:

Airline industry representatives met with Department of Homeland Security officials Thursday about possible plans by the agency to widen a ban on laptops and other large electronic devices on passenger flights from Europe.

After the meeting, Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly said no decision had been made whether to institute the expansion to more airports overseas.

In March, the United States and Britain barred devices larger than smartphones from the passenger cabin on all U.S.-bound flights from eight nations in the Mideast and North Africa: Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Kuwait and Turkey. Instead, those devices must be checked in luggage. In all, 10 airports are affected.

An expansion of the ban could potentially add U.S. flights from Western Europe to the list. A CNN source said U.S. airlines have asked Homeland Security to find less disruptive alternatives, including additional screening at boarding gates, but "the logistics are very complicated."

Travel industry officials want travelers to be protected but also want to know why new security measures are necessary.

I THINK (if I properly understood what I read) that the logic behind making the electronic equipment fly in the airplane hold vs. the cabin is that the kind of explosives that could be slipped past security hidden in an electronic device is a sort that really requires human input to set them off--that there is no good way to have a timer hidden in the electronic device that could not be found by current security procedures.

I'm just really glad I flew back from London a week and a half ago because I would have been nervous as heck about having to check both my work and personal laptops that I had with me. I am not sure what I'll do in future--I really hope they figure out a way to not have to require this soon. I think it will decrease both business and leisure travel to the US for the duration, for VERY little decrease in risk of terrorist attack.

Give it a few years and we will all be flying naked and unable to bring ANYTHING with us on the flight. At some point before that I'll give up flying. :D

I THINK (if I properly understood what I read) that the logic behind making the electronic equipment fly in the airplane hold vs. the cabin is that the kind of explosives that could be slipped past security hidden in an electronic device is a sort that really requires human input to set them off--that there is no good way to have a timer hidden in the electronic device that could not be found by current security procedures.

I'm just really glad I flew back from London a week and a half ago because I would have been nervous as heck about having to check both my work and personal laptops that I had with me. I am not sure what I'll do in future--I really hope they figure out a way to not have to require this soon. I think it will decrease both business and leisure travel to the US for the duration, for VERY little decrease in risk of terrorist attack.

Give it a few years and we will all be flying naked and unable to bring ANYTHING with us on the flight. At some point before that I'll give up flying. :D

You forgot to add the $10 charge to use the bathroom!!! :rolleyes:

It WON'T decrease the risk. They'll figure out a way to attack us and I don't think this move will do a bit of good.

Before I went to Europe in April, I was a bit nervous about the unrest. If I hadn't already booked and paid for my cruise, I might have stayed home. I am happy that I went. Just back from 3 weeks in Europe. No problems. Europeans welcome American tourists. Most are friendlier than ever. I was careful. I dressed in drab colors and left my bling at home. I rode in planes, trains, trams, boats, cars, etc. At no time did I feel uneasy. I'd go back again without any hesitation.

I feel exactly the same way, with the same friendly experience shown to me in Europe. I have another cruise and land stay planned for next year. In Rome at major sites, you could observe police security making sure that things were running smoothly. I never felt unsure or afraid in any way at all...yes, it is sad and only time will tell what will happen next, but most of us are very adaptable because we live to travel...

My DH and I were so busy helping my dad before our trip that we had no time to sign up for Global Entry; however, we did not even need it because things went so fast and smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original thread meant to notify us of a standard US State Dept travel alert (not a specific warning for any particular country) or population). Of course this has turned into an opportunity for some here to take the discussion into a different direction. Alerts just inform us to be diligent when we travel. We already know that. If you go to the US State Dept website you are encouraged to sign up for the S.T.E.P. program if you are a US Citizen traveling outside the USA. You can list the countries you are visiting by date. If there is an actual problem or warning in that country that day you will already be known to and registered by the local US Embassy. They will also be able to text and email you with details. Seems smart to do this. It is possible that other countries have something similar to S.T.E.P. for their citizens as well.

..... and telling your credit card company where you are traveling. You don't have to be scared to be prudent.

Haven't had to tell the credit card company that we are traveling for years. Not required anymore.

Edited by A Sixth?

Haven't had to tell the credit card company that we are traveling for years. Not required anymore.

Not true. This very much depends on which bank/credit card company you are talking about. Some require notification, some don't. My local back requires notification and an adjustment to ATM withdrawal limits on my debit/Visa card. AMEX does not require notification. Bank of America (i.e., the bank that handles the RCI/Celebrity accounts) does require. Citi also does require. Chase, maybe not. Not a big deal, simple process that reduces chances of misuse of one's card.

Most major credit cards let you enter your travel info in your account area on their websites. Usually under something like set up travel alerts or trip details. You bank might need you to do the same if you are planning to use your debit card at an ATM.

Must be a Canadian thing. Better connected maybe?

TD Bank: "Effective September 10, [2015], customers no longer need to notify us of their travel plans

CIBC: Stopped requesting travel plans as of October 1, 2015.

RBC: RBC also stopped requesting clients to report their travel plans

Scotiabank: Spokesperson Heather Armstrong said in an email that Scotiabank never required customers to notify it of their travel plans.

Bank of Montreal: BMO stopped asking customers to notify the bank of their travel plans in July 2015.

Not required, but prudent to do so. Any credit card/bank will take the information and flag it when considering whether a transaction is suspected of being fraudulent.

Must be a Canadian thing. Better connected maybe?

TD Bank: "Effective September 10, [2015], customers no longer need to notify us of their travel plans

CIBC: Stopped requesting travel plans as of October 1, 2015.

RBC: RBC also stopped requesting clients to report their travel plans

Scotiabank: Spokesperson Heather Armstrong said in an email that Scotiabank never required customers to notify it of their travel plans.

Bank of Montreal: BMO stopped asking customers to notify the bank of their travel plans in July 2015.

Credit card chip and PIN technology was adopted by Canadian financial institutions quite some time before their American counterparts, and the resulting enhanced security led to elimination of the need to report upcoming travel. US institutions are now moving in the same direction now that the chip and PIN technology has been adopted there too.

With respect to Scotiabank, while it may never have "required" customers to submit travel notifications, it nevertheless encourages them to do so, even today:

Just let us know where you’re going and when, so we can help ensure you can use your credit cards while you’re out of the country.

Plus:

• It’s quick, easy and free to set up.

• You can set up notifications on any of your Scotiabank credit cards.

• Visiting a few countries? Set up to three separate travel notifications at once.

Desjardins, the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, also encourages its members to notify the institution of pending travel.

On two of our major credit cards when you read the fine print of your agreement both say to contact the toll free number with any distance traveling or planned unusual LARGE purchases.

And we do.

Safe travels.

We've had chips in Australia for years but still need to notify some credit card companies. As I said before, some require it and others don't. Nothing to do with chip and pin. We are no longer allowed to sign.

On two of our major credit cards when you read the fine print of your agreement both say to contact the toll free number with any distance traveling or planned unusual LARGE purchases.

It's the same in Denmark. I learned that the hard way when I tried to buy a piece of jewellery in London and my card got declined. Fortunately, I knew the jeweller and a quick call to our bank manager sorted it out, but I would've died of embarrassment if it had happened on say Regent or New Bond Street in a shop that didn't know me. It was a chip & PIN debit card. Now I always notify my bank manager when I'm travelling abroad and plan to make large purchases.

I think "fear itself" is running ramped. I just returned and did see a lot more presence of armed police at certain large group locations, but life went on normally. Things would really have to get much worse before I would not travel to Europe each year. I am not a fearful individual...my personal opinion.

I always let the banks know when I am traveling overseas!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums