Eating Gluten-Free on Princess (specifically Ruby) - is it a guessing game?

I mean, I know you're supposed to find the maitre d'hotel and introduce yourself on Day 1 if you're gluten-free - they tell you that wench you indicate that you are...

And I know you'll pre-order the night before...

But it's looking from the menus like it's a guessing game for non-pasta stuff as there does not appear to be a marking for "gluten-free" to indicate those things which are or can be made such as I'm accustomed to on Disney.

Those who are gluten-free, have you had issues? I'm beginning to think not wanting to mark the menus is a Carnival Corp thing as it was not done on fathom Adonia (which is and crew remains P&O) either - and I did not have the best of experiences on there in April as nothing was marked and the dining room manager more than once allowed me to order things that were NOT gluten-free which just made it difficult and awkward for the servers.

Is this what I'm going to have to deal with on Princess or are they knowledgable such that even if I look stupid ordering something that's not because it's not marked they will help me figure out what is?

And does anyone know why they're so averse to marking things that are or can be made gluten-free??

We have often had dinner companions who require a gluten-free diet. The Head Waiter for the relevant part of the dining room will come to them during dinner with the menu for the next night. The Head Waiters are invariably very knowledgeable, and if they are unsure, I have heard them say they would ask the Chef if he could prepare a particular dish as gluten-free. I have only heard high praise about the way this is handled on Princess. :)

Only once did I see a glitch on our many cruises. A gentleman ordered poached eggs on toast and also gluten-free toast. The piece of toast was gluten-free (it has a different appearance), but the poached eggs came on normal toast. This was the fault of the passenger who didn't specify gluten-free for the toast with the eggs and also the fault of the waiter who probably didn't think it through. It was immediately rectified. :)

You ask why they don't mark items as gluten-free. Maybe it is that passengers have all sorts of allergies and they can't really mark the menu with all of these specifics.

We have often had dinner companions who require a gluten-free diet. The Head Waiter for the relevant part of the dining room will come to them during dinner with the menu for the next night. The Head Waiters are invariably very knowledgeable, and if they are unsure, I have heard them say they would ask the Chef if he could prepare a particular dish as gluten-free. I have only heard high praise about the way this is handled on Princess. :)

Only once did I see a glitch on our many cruises. A gentleman ordered poached eggs on toast and also gluten-free toast. The piece of toast was gluten-free (it has a different appearance), but the poached eggs came on normal toast. This was the fault of the passenger who didn't specify gluten-free for the toast with the eggs and also the fault of the waiter who probably didn't think it through. It was immediately rectified. :)

You ask why they don't mark items as gluten-free. Maybe it is that passengers have all sorts of allergies and they can't really mark the menu with all of these specifics.

Thank you.

Obviously they can't mark everything - even Disney doesn't do that. But I have seen Disney (as far as cruises) as well as restaurants on land (and I'm pretty sure RCCL marked GF as well, but I'm not 100% on that...I don't remember having to ask if something could be though, so that's why I'm pretty sure they do) mark things that are or can easily be made GF.

I just find it interesting when places choose not to - especially when they DO mark things as veggie.

RCCL has a little wheat symbol on the MDR menu for items that can be ordered gluten free. However, in practice, I found that wasn't always the case unless you ordered it the night before.

RCCL has a little wheat symbol on the MDR menu for items that can be ordered gluten free. However, in practice, I found that wasn't always the case unless you ordered it the night before.

Maybe that's the reason why Princess doesn't put a note on the menu regarding gluten-free. By discussing the options with a Head Waiter and ordering the night before, the kitchen has 24 hours' notice of any alterations to the standard recipe for a menu item.

I hope I can answer your question. A gluten free diet is a recent (9/16) diagnosis for me so I am still in a learning curve. I sailed on RCCL Oasis in November. Even though things are marked gluten free, they are not always. Out of seven nights I was sick four. So I was hesitant when I cruised in March on the Crown Princess and actually boarded with GF rolls and cookies.

Night and day experience. Every night I would order from the menu for the next night. Now it is hard to decide what you would like to eat the next day but found I could make small modifications the night of dinner. Yes they had gluten free pasta. Actually had fettuccine alfredo. Well not made with fettuccine but pasta but still tasted good. I was able to get GF onion soup in Crown Grill. Nothing seemed to much of a hassle with the staff.

Each night the chef had a mystery GF dessert. All were very good with the exception of vanilla pudding/custard. Nothing really wrong with it but I found it bland and more of a gelatin consistency. If I could make one suggestion to Princess it is to vary GF bread. Same bread every meal. Maybe mix it up with a roll or corn bread.

As for pizza I just ordered and it took about ten minutes. They would actually make a pepperoni pizza where RCCL would not do anything but cheese. Now anyone who has had GF pizza know the crust is usually cracker crisp consistency. Not sure what Princess did but crust while still thin was soft.

I was surprised they would not serve me Caesar salad without croutons. It was explained to me that they did not make their own dressing but purchased it in bulk and the chef had reviewed the ingredients and found a couple of additions that made the dressing not GF.

Best of all....fourteen days and not sick one night. I was ready to give up cruising after RCCL experience but Princess changed my mind. I am now looking forward to my Alaskan cruisetour this summer. If I can answer any questions please let me know.

Chris

Edited by pedirn
misspelling

I hope I can answer your question. A gluten free diet is a recent (9/16) diagnosis for me so I am still in a learning curve. I sailed on RCCL Oasis in November. Even though things are marked gluten free, they are not always. Out of seven nights I was sick four. So I was hesitant when I cruised in March on the Crown Princess and actually boarded with GF rolls and cookies.

Night and day experience. Every night I would order from the menu for the next night. Now it is hard to decide what you would like to eat the next day but found I could make small modifications the night of dinner. Yes they had gluten free pasta. Actually had fettuccine alfredo. Well not made with fettuccine but pasta but still tasted good. I was able to get GF onion soup in Crown Grill. Nothing seemed to much of a hassle with the staff.

Each night the chef had a mystery GF dessert. All were very good with the exception of vanilla pudding/custard. Nothing really wrong with it but I found it bland and more of a gelatin consistency. If I could make one suggestion to Princess it is to vary GF bread. Same bread every meal. Maybe mix it up with a roll or corn bread.

As for pizza I just ordered and it took about ten minutes. They would actually make a pepperoni pizza where RCCL would not do anything but cheese. Now anyone who has had GF pizza know the crust is usually cracker crisp consistency. Not sure what Princess did but crust while still thin was soft.

I was surprised they would not serve me Caesar salad without croutons. It was explained to me that they did not make their own dressing but purchased it in bulk and the chef had reviewed the ingredients and found a couple of additions that made the dressing not GF.

Best of all....fourteen days and not sick one night. I was ready to give up cruising after RCCL experience but Princess changed my mind. I am now looking forward to my Alaskan cruisetour this summer. If I can answer any questions please let me know.

Chris

Thank you, Chris! I had no issues on RCCL - but I did order the night before, so perhaps that was why. Ditto Disney. I try not to add the calories of bread I don't need, so I don't have them give me any before my meals so "sameness" isn't an issue for me there.

I think the reason I'm nervous is I had a really bad experience with unmarked menus on fathom over Spring Break - though I never had any issues (my reaction to it is in my lungs with reduced air flow), that was only due to servers looking at a plate and realizing there was bread on it - the head waiter allowed me more than once to order something I couldn't have. I like having the markings at least as a guide rather than having to trust that the head waiter truly knows what can and can't be ordered. But it sounds like they are better informed on Princess.

One of our table mates on a Princess cruise had celiac disease. She had the fact noted on her reservation.

The first night, the waiter informed her of the gluten free choices for the night.

Starting that night, she was given menus for all three meals and she would preorder breakfast, lunch and dinner. (FYI: if she wished to eat in the buffet, the GF food would be brought up for her, however there would be a 15-30 minute wait before she would receive it).

There were some evening when the waiter would inform her of a special GF entree or desert that the chief was making available for the next day (not on the regular menu) if she pre-ordered it.

It might even be best to choose traditional dining so you will have the same waiter ever night. I would think you should have no problem. Just a very minuscule amount of gluten can wreak havoc on certain people with Celiacs disease and having a waiter that knows your specific needs day to day is probably going to work out better for you in the long run.

I was seated at a table quite some time ago (on Princess) that had this diagnosis before many had heard of it. She even had to explain what this was to us as we'd never heard of it before. At the end of dinner each evening (during the desert course), she was given a menu for the next evening and they made positively sure that her meal wouldn't contain gluten. I think they did a phenomenal job.

It might even be best to choose traditional dining so you will have the same waiter ever night. I would think you should have no problem. Just a very minuscule amount of gluten can wreak havoc on certain people with Celiacs disease and having a waiter that knows your specific needs day to day is probably going to work out better for you in the long run.

I was seated at a table quite some time ago (on Princess) that had this diagnosis before many had heard of it. She even had to explain what this was to us as we'd never heard of it before. At the end of dinner each evening (during the desert course), she was given a menu for the next evening and they made positively sure that her meal wouldn't contain gluten. I think they did a phenomenal job.

Yeah. I have it noted and have opted for traditional dining. Fingers crossed I don't get an awkward polar opposite tablemate situation like I have had before.

Yeah. I have it noted and have opted for traditional dining. Fingers crossed I don't get an awkward polar opposite tablemate situation like I have had before.

We've usually lucked out but have gotten a couple of table mates in the past that would have ruined our dining experience had we not switched tables.

Many people think that the need for a 'gluten free' diet is all made up and unnecessary and that is so far from the truth. In some people, it is so severe that just having their food cooked on the same surface will send them to the hospital. Regardless of the severity, Princess will treat you with respect and understanding of your dietary restrictions ... but you can't always account how fellow passengers will respond. I will keep my fingers crossed you don't encounter one of those again.

We've usually lucked out but have gotten a couple of table mates in the past that would have ruined our dining experience had we not switched tables.

Many people think that the need for a 'gluten free' diet is all made up and unnecessary and that is so far from the truth. In some people, it is so severe that just having their food cooked on the same surface will send them to the hospital. Regardless of the severity, Princess will treat you with respect and understanding of your dietary restrictions ... but you can't always account how fellow passengers will respond. I will keep my fingers crossed you don't encounter one of those again.

Thank you! I'm fortunate in that my gluten issue is not my gut but my lungs - it affects my air-flow...so I had not been as concerned with cross-contamination prior to my Spring Break trip this year (fathom Adonia - I ended up ok thanks to the vigilance of my servers and some time in Miami). BUT eating at the Hard Rock - which does have a gluten-free menu - my server asked if I still wanted the fries or a salad. I'd had the fries in Feb with no issues, but my stomach started acting up this time, so I can only guess they've stopped having a dedicated fryer and the contact with gluten after not having it for so long is what did it (as everything else was the same). So I'm much more vigilant about it now. Good to know Princess seems to be as well.

Yes, your problem may be those who have experienced those "gluten free" people who are following the diet trend and don't understand a true gluten sensitivity.

I have two in my family who insist on gluten free food and then wash it down with a regular beer or will have a piece of cake for dessert. They are requesting gluten free for my daughter's wedding reception - no special accommodations are being made for their food.

• 1 month later...

Chris

Thank you Chris for your review. I have Celiac and am very sensitive to gluten. On past cruises, I have found that foods marked gluten free can be ruined by cross contamination. In the buffet are there many GF options? Is it difficult to find out which items are gluten free? Does the kitchen staff seem to be aware of the cross contamination issue?

Thanks.

Thank you Chris for your review. I have Celiac and am very sensitive to gluten. On past cruises, I have found that foods marked gluten free can be ruined by cross contamination. In the buffet are there many GF options? Is it difficult to find out which items are gluten free? Does the kitchen staff seem to be aware of the cross contamination issue?

Thanks.

Food for dietary issues are prepared in a separate area of the kitchen. It might get contaminated at the serving area, but that is another issue.

Thanks.

On Princess there were many options on the buffet that were marked GF. I could have eaten there without a problem. But I didn't try after my experience on RCCL. As others have said....other passengers aren't aware of cross contamination issues with serving tools etc. Some staff are very aware, others not so much. RCCL didn't seem to have the level of concern about my diet that Princess did. Or maybe it was just the way the Head Waiter approached it and his willingness to assist me. As stated previously this is a fairly new diagnosis for me but I am sailing Princess again in two weeks and am looking forward to another good GF dining experience. Now hopefully I will have a good experience with American Airlines.....first time flying with the need to order special meals.

Chris

• 2 months later...
On Princess there were many options on the buffet that were marked GF. I could have eaten there without a problem. But I didn't try after my experience on RCCL. As others have said....other passengers aren't aware of cross contamination issues with serving tools etc. Some staff are very aware, others not so much. RCCL didn't seem to have the level of concern about my diet that Princess did. Or maybe it was just the way the Head Waiter approached it and his willingness to assist me. As stated previously this is a fairly new diagnosis for me but I am sailing Princess again in two weeks and am looking forward to another good GF dining experience. Now hopefully I will have a good experience with American Airlines.....first time flying with the need to order special meals.

Chris

Would you please report back on how the cruise went for you?? I'm sailing Princess as a celiac for the first time next summer. I have experience on other lines and I'd like to read how it went for you this past June. I'm going to be traveling with 15 other family members including my 5 year so always going to a sit down meal or waiting 15-30 minutes for my food in the buffet would not be ideal...

I'm Celiac and I find traveling with Princess is easy. When on the Galley tour one year, it was explained that they have a separate "kitchen" for gluten free preparation. This helps me feel confident of what I order and how it is prepared. We do Anytime Dining as my order has already been taken the night before and all I have to do is give the current waiter my cabin number. I have the same head waiter for the entire cruise. I always feel so spoiled. You'll have a wonderful experience! Cheers!

Would you please report back on how the cruise went for you?? I'm sailing Princess as a celiac for the first time next summer. I have experience on other lines and I'd like to read how it went for you this past June. I'm going to be traveling with 15 other family members including my 5 year so always going to a sit down meal or waiting 15-30 minutes for my food in the buffet would not be ideal...

I can report that once again I was taken care of every evening with meal planning for the next night. They adapted many of the dishes to gluten free so I was able to have just about anything I liked. I did have a bit of a problem on land portion of our cruise tour. Some restaurant owners seem to think if they offer a salad they can advertise as having gluten free food. Salad gets boring. Best meals were the burgers at Princess Fairbanks Lodge and blueberry glazed salmon at McKinnley lodge.