NCL (& other) cruisers flying to US from Europe; expanded laptop/tablet ban likely

dixieagle

As I understand it, this only applies to flights going to the US and not the return.

I believe the articles I read mentioned both inbound and outbound flights. I'd rather not take the risk and I'll stick to my phone. I've got the Netflix app on there and I downloaded a bunch of series and movies so I'll be fine. There's always the in flight entertainment (were flying United as mentioned above but I believe our plane still has the screens in the seat back in front of you, I downloaded the app just to be safe!). Traveling across the pond is so much fun sometimes ;p

When I have to travel ultra-light with a single carry-on/cabin bag, a Nexus tablet or iPad mini with an external/standalone USB or IR keyboard can work, handle light email & basic tasks that I rather done on a netbook or notebook PC.

Worst come to worst, downsize further to a 6" smartphone, some called it phablet - pair it up with the mini keyboard.

It's not just checking the sensitive electronics in the belly as baggage, but the content or data on it, not to mention the risks of losses from physical damages, theft or sticky fingers while in transit ... strange things happened between the tarmac, luggage system inside the terminal & the carousal.

Also I believe (but do not quote me on this!) that dslr cameras are included in the ban. Thankfully I also have a Canon eos m that's smaller than my phone and should be OK to bring along. But this might also be a problem for the (amateur) photographers amongst us...

It will definitely be a problem for me. I regularly travel with a mirrorless camera and a couple of lenses, and a backup bridge camera as well. As with all my valuables, these are always in my carry on. I would be very worried about theft from checked bags.

I did hear on the news about a possible ban, just not sure when it will come into effect or when? We will be travelling to Iceland and on to Denmark and am wondering whether to take my tablet?

I can survive without it, but it makes it easier for me to journal my trip details directly onto my tablet than writing it and then doing it all again when I get home.

Hoping Canada doesn't follow suit. We generally use our phones anyway, and I am quite used to reading on my small screen, but we fly carry on only, and my husband generally brings a laptop to keep up with things at work... He would not want to have to put it in a checked bag.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

My husband recently flew home from Saudi Arabia through London and had to put his laptop in checked bag, which he was prepared for. At security, he was forced to throw away his mophie($100) additional iphone battery charger. Traveling with 3 kids and all their gadgets this summer, I'll be sure to read the fine print on this rule.

I believe the articles I read mentioned both inbound and outbound flights. I'd rather not take the risk and I'll stick to my phone. I've got the Netflix app on there and I downloaded a bunch of series and movies so I'll be fine. There's always the in flight entertainment (were flying United as mentioned above but I believe our plane still has the screens in the seat back in front of you, I downloaded the app just to be safe!). Traveling across the pond is so much fun sometimes ;p

Of course you will wish to make your own judgement Yunah, but do take in to account the content of this article from Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1872XC

You will only read the words "from Europe".

In addition this possible extension to the ban from other countries to the US is only under discussion at the moment. From that article, one of the items they have to assess is how much notice to give airlines to introduce this increase in ban.

Of course you will wish to make your own judgement Yunah, but do take in to account the content of this article from Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1872XC

You will only read the words "from Europe".

In addition this possible extension to the ban from other countries to the US is only under discussion at the moment. From that article, one of the items they have to assess is how much notice to give airlines to introduce this increase in ban.

I stand corrected, I looked it up on google once again and they only mention from Europe indeed. Not sure where I read that, or maybe my mind just made that part up. I guess they won't be able to implement this in the grand time span of 6 days so I'll reconsider bringing my Surface tablet along. It's also easier to store my photos on there as opposed to my phone (and it's limited storage capability). Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Well that just gives me another reason to not fly to the US.

Seriously though given I have had my luggage lost on several occasions, and items stolen from LOCKED luggage and that most Travel insurance will NOT cover Valuables left unattended I this would be a deal breaker for me.

I wonder how many other folks will rethink their travel plans.

If this happens I won't be visiting the US anytime soon, and I'm American!

I'm a freelancer and work on a lot of confidential projects, I'd be in huge trouble with my clients if my laptop is stolen from checked luggage. And not traveling without my laptop isn't an option, I even work when I'm cruising. I once had my video camera stolen from checked luggage... never again!

I stand corrected, I looked it up on google once again and they only mention from Europe indeed. Not sure where I read that, or maybe my mind just made that part up. I guess they won't be able to implement this in the grand time span of 6 days so I'll reconsider bringing my Surface tablet along. It's also easier to store my photos on there as opposed to my phone (and it's limited storage capability). Thanks for clearing that up! :)

You're welcome. Have a great trip.

Recent update: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-airline-electronics-ban-idUSKBN1881L0

If they plan to do this - and all indications are that they will - I just hope there's enough time so that we can plan accordingly. So many folks MUST bring either a tablet or laptop for work-related purposes, even while on a cruise.

The issue for me is I really need my laptop to keep up with work. People who work overseas also need to be able to work in flight too. It isn't appropriate to put laptops or ipads in checked luggage for several reasons. I'm hoping this doesn't happen. It seems like TSA theater.

It seems like TSA theater.

It's all TSA theatre, similar to washy washy theatre on NCL. I've travelled all over the world and have never encountered security as surly as in the US. Barney Fifes with an attitude problem don't make me feel safer.

Mind you, I'm not saying that the washy washy folks are surly, they've always been lovely. Speaking of... are the washy washy people still there?

Looks like some more intelligent folks across the pond have pushed back on this lunacy of big brother USA.

Something I had not though of until last night. If making bombs out of laptops is such an issue, why are they allowing everyone to carry them on planes within the U.S.?

(small fact - did you know over 2 million people fly each day on commercial planes in the U.S.?)

Iceland isn't an EU member, in case you happen to be looking for an "European" carrier that won't be affected if this idiocy is implemented. I am routing through KEF to get to Copenhagen.

Good luck to all of us trying to navigate this insanity.