NCL (& other) cruisers flying to US from Europe; expanded laptop/tablet ban likely

dixieagle

Those of you who will be flying to the US from Europe for, or after, a cruise may want to pay close attention; it looks increasingly likely that the current ban on laptops, etc., in airplane cabins may expand very soon to include ALL flights from Europe to the US. It would include not only laptops, but tablets, e-readers, certain electronic games... basically anything bigger than a phone. You'd be allowed to pack these devices in your checked baggage (can you imagine the increase in damaged laptops, and thefts?) They appear to be trying to work out a way to keep lithium batteries from catching fire in the cargo hold. :o

What an enormous inconvenience for business people, travel writers, or simply for folks who like to use their Kindles while flying. You may want to follow the TSA on Twitter (@TSA) as they are usually quick to tweet about this type of ruling.

As much as I have lots of Q#@$%@#$^ comments about this potential, I am waiting for the actual announcement. The world is so full of rumors and fake news today it is getting difficult to understand anything.

(not saying it will not be announced - just that it has not either)

As much as I have lots of Q#@$%@#$^ comments about this potential, I am waiting for the actual announcement. The world is so full of rumors and fake news today it is getting difficult to understand anything.

(not saying it will not be announced - just that it has not either)

Just be prepared. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/business/us-may-ban-laptops-on-all-flights-from-europe.html

Gonna be a long flight without my Kindle to read.

I know! I have the Kindle app on my iPhone but hate using it, as it's so much harder to read.

I also generally take a tablet with me and keep up with online payments, etc., while traveling for any length of time (we'll be gone about 3 weeks) as I can't pre-schedule all bills. The idea of having to stow my iPad in checked baggage on the way back to the US makes me very nervous. Not a great choice.

Another reason to pick an airline on their in flight entertainment system!

How much I love KLM their IFE on some planes is so old (most of their Airbus A330's for example), almost unbearable low resolution when compared to some airline's full size HD screens with lots of on demand movies.. :)

Another reason to pick an airline on their in flight entertainment system!

How much I love KLM their IFE on some planes is so old (most of their Airbus A330's for example), almost unbearable low resolution when compared to some airline's full size HD screens with lots of on demand movies.. :)

United's new and newly-reconfigured planes no longer have any screens for entertainment. You use their wi-fi (free for this purpose) on your own device to watch movies, TV, etc.

I have that, too; just hate using such a small screen.

I am going to chime in on this one as well. I always travel with my Kindle especially because you can keep reading during takeoff and touchdown. I have a plus i-Phone but seriously it is hard for this senior to read on it. Hmm I wonder if you have a global ID for International travel if you will be exempt should this come to fruition?

Well that just gives me another reason to not fly to the US.

Seriously though given I have had my luggage lost on several occasions, and items stolen from LOCKED luggage and that most Travel insurance will NOT cover Valuables left unattended I this would be a deal breaker for me.

I wonder how many other folks will rethink their travel plans.

Just about the kindle app for iPhone, I find changing the background colour to sepia makes it easier on eyes. I still prefer the kindle though and of course for us book loving British going to Florida for sun this will be very awkward, you cannot read on an iPhone in sunlight and bookshops are now few and far between.

I am going to chime in on this one as well. I always travel with my Kindle especially because you can keep reading during takeoff and touchdown. I have a plus i-Phone but seriously it is hard for this senior to read on it. Hmm I wonder if you have a global ID for International travel if you will be exempt should this come to fruition?

Interesting question; my husband and I both have Global Entry. I haven't seen that addressed, though one would think that it should get you exempted, considering the background check that's done.

Well that just gives me another reason to not fly to the US.

Seriously though given I have had my luggage lost on several occasions, and items stolen from LOCKED luggage and that most Travel insurance will NOT cover Valuables left unattended I this would be a deal breaker for me.

I wonder how many other folks will rethink their travel plans.

I know that there has been a downturn in travel to the US from the Middle Eastern countries that have already been subject to the laptop ban. Some flights have been cut.

If they do this like the other countries, we will be forced to check our bombs into the hold instead of the cabin.

For those that travel with tablet or computer and ONLY do carryon, this is a deal breaker.

(I know I said I was not going to say anything until it was OFFICIALLY announced, but now that folks have jumped in.....)

Thanks for the info. Luckily I prefer to take paper books on holiday with me as I don't trust using a kindle on the beach! So the only thing we fly with is phones anyway, don't own tablets. I realise I sound like some fuddy duddy technophobe but I promise we are actually young and hip lol! We have premium economy booked in Virgin for our flights to the US so I'm sure the IFE will keep us entertained.

We're leaving for NYC next week (and flying out to Miami for our cruise and back to the Netherlands via Germany after) and I'm a bit apprehensive about taking my tablet along for watching movies while on board the planes. They might not introduce the ban before next Thursday but it might have been introduced by the time we fly back...

Also I believe (but do not quote me on this!) that dslr cameras are included in the ban. Thankfully I also have a Canon eos m that's smaller than my phone and should be OK to bring along. But this might also be a problem for the (amateur) photographers amongst us...

If they do this like the other countries, we will be forced to check our bombs into the hold instead of the cabin.

For those that travel with tablet or computer and ONLY do carryon, this is a deal breaker.

(I know I said I was not going to say anything until it was OFFICIALLY announced, but now that folks have jumped in.....)

I could see how - especially for business people - this could be a real deal breaker. I can't imagine ever being comfortable stashing a laptop or tablet in checked baggage. If this happens in the next 3 weeks, my husband's in a real jam, as he has a presentation at a conference in NY state immediately after our Baltic cruise, and needs his Apple laptop for the presentation.

United's new and newly-reconfigured planes no longer have any screens for entertainment. You use their wi-fi (free for this purpose) on your own device to watch movies, TV, etc.

Sounds like a low cost short distance airline instead of a worldwide airline. At least one Dutch low cost airlines started that too, via an app, tried it once and worked very well.

Delta's partnership with KLM at Amsterdam is a big plus for us, their Comfort+ (Premium Economy) is great value for money. Even with KLM flying non stop to Miami again I would choose a modern Delta widebody with an Atlanta layover over KLM's old metal.

And Delta announced a new Premium Select on international long haul flights fall 2017, with IFE, plated meals, etc. might be worth the extra bucks.

Let's see how the ban might work out..

We're leaving for NYC next week (and flying out to Miami for our cruise and back to the Netherlands via Germany after) and I'm a bit apprehensive about taking my tablet along for watching movies while on board the planes. They might not introduce the ban before next Thursday but it might have been introduced by the time we fly back...

As I understand it, this only applies to flights going to the US and not the return.