The Grand Hawaiian Adventure. A trip report with Patters, Menus, Elvis, and ...

h20skibum

I was just looking at the Patters you posted. Is there a sit down dining for breakfast anywhere for people with Anytime Dining or must we use the buffet every morning? The Michaelangelo dining room only says dinner.

I was just looking at the Patters you posted. Is there a sit down dining for breakfast anywhere for people with Anytime Dining or must we use the buffet every morning? The Michaelangelo dining room only says dinner.

The Da Vinci dining room would have breakfast and lunch on an open seating basis. They typically would not serve lunch there on a port day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is, of course, a lack of plugs for all the things you need to plug in or charge. There are two by the desk, and they are so close together, a wide charger will overlap both.

There was an open slot in the outlet for the tv, and this was a convenient place to charge our iPhones, iPads and Fitbits using the belkin. Some we talked to this cruise had extension cords confiscated, but we have never had a problem with this adapter.

9674ed737fcdd3a0f98a9f04b181ffff.jpg

Thanks for the photos and descriptions. We'll be on Grand in a couple of weeks for the first time and it's nice to see so much information about her for us to go over.

However, in all good conscience, I need to let you know that your Belkin device is a surge protector and is not compatible with the wiring systems on cruise ships. These are actually a hazard on ships due to the surge protection electronics they have inside. Please do not use it again as it could short the wiring and cause a fire. They are only intended for wiring systems that have an EARTH ground. I have the same one and no longer use it on cruises after I learned that it is dangerous.

Please see this thread for more information about the dangers of surge protectors, including your Belkin device.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2444881&highlight=surge+protectors

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

On our prior land based vacations, we stayed a week each time in the Kaanapali Resort area. We had done the Road to Hana, and visited the 7 sacred pools and Lindbergh's grave in Kipahulu. We had been to Haleakala for sunrise above the clouds. Many of these extended experiences you can not get with a short port stop on a cruise, and the best way to explore and experience Hawaii is to stay there. The cruise will only give you a taste.

Our beach day would be spent at Baby beach. It is used mainly by locals, and it is named baby beach because that is where the locals bring their babies. The surf is very calm and the water is shallow. There are no changing facilities or restrooms there, so you need to make your stops before you come here. Baby beach is located about a half mile to the left of the tender pier.

f623c9374f2aaf0253bf796330cb1669.jpg

969bf17295c3bf58747fb2246f85e745.jpg

8163ed1d9e245decef1ca418c06a648e.jpg

Tenders still make their way to shore

b8f07ce294d5bc4fb3e44ada62b8bfa6.jpg

Mark, your right, a cruise to Hawaii only gives you a taste of it where a land vacation gives you more opportunity and time to explore it. I still would like to do this cruise in the near future. I love sea days and the time in Hawaii will still be special. Keep up the great review, your pictures are really good!

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

There was an underwater viewing tour boat called the Reef Dancer that made it's way along the reef in front of this beach. This is the view of it from the beach.

1b382ab10964747ddbfe5820a46b99da.jpg

This is the view zoomed in with the Nikon megazoom I am using. It looks like some Princess towels draped over the rails. Maybe someone from the ship will recognize themselves.

6ea119ab54a949eb8d4ce27d1a22aafa.jpg

There was plenty of room on the beach. Not too crowded today.

c53ae3ffeb0ecfb7ad0f034e1a55002f.jpg

The surfers have their boards ready and wax them for the next run. The waves were pretty tame for surfing here.

0b4a761def87573b27cfa357da24d8e2.jpg

As you went further north on the beach, some of the beachfront houses may not pass code.

5496bdda65e9ba57645d9f00b354d3d5.jpg

Right by this beach was the Lahaina Jodo Mission. It is not necessarily someplace to make a special trip to, but we visited since it was close.

At 12 feet high, the bronze Buddha statue is supposedly one of the largest outside of Asia. It was installed in 1968 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the arrival of Japanese immigrants to the islands.

a9e6841f314a35eb2b095fe23b5b7fa3.jpg

The temple is authentic to the traditions of old Japan.

f60cb6a3507f2a38f58de1e437791986.jpg

And the interior of the temple is very ornate.

eca0195377727646f854d9f93b92cb51.jpg

There is also a Pagoda

c8d7762bcf552f0ac81c9add4516086b.jpg

And a temple bell.

bbff17e185e37c029030ef79eca74a74.jpg

Next to the Jodo Mission, we found the Puupiha Cemetery.

460c4079ad55ac2c466f85017815e227.jpg

Many of the headstones in the sand were overlooking the beach.

fbf0215714f0335bdbdc02289a048b02.jpg

And I guess you can leave it to everyone's interpretation, what the giant clock symbolizes.

067c27be7872b5e799a5e67bad6b4d44.jpg

So after some beach time, and before some shopping, what better place to stop for some refreshment and snacks than Kimo's.

eba840e34b7d873f643fa4d353ba05ac.jpg

Right on the waterfront in Old Lahaina, they have the greatest Mai Tais.

207e841c7ff28eda36ab4bd2418824bd.jpg

And their fantastic Hula Pie. That alone is worth the trip. Macadamia nut ice cream, Oreo crust, hot fudge, topped with crushed macadamia nuts and whip cream. I think these were only 100 calories. (Hmm maybe that was per bite)

c6ee3a5dd727f5ecfc1169f95530d8e3.jpg

• Like 1

h20skibum, excellent job!

I love how you've captured a whole different angle to the cruise, we were both on. I'm glued to your thread now...no pressure!;p

Thanks, I'm working as fast as time allows.

We came across Mick Fleetwood's place on Front Street. Didn't know he was in the restaurant business.

60091c37cd8a6d3e945b2e4583afab95.jpg

I'm not sure who this couple was that posed so nicely inside these jaws.

630a52d496e3fd35ea62ccb4d84ad431.jpg

And we watched as a local artisan carved his wares.

5e3ca3e1b2020c7043257feadc7ca38e.jpg

After shopping for the perfect gifts for the grandchildren, ( Did we really need to go in every store?) we bought a couple cold ones and headed beneath the banyan tree to wait for the line for the tender line to get shorter.

The banyan tree is over 150 years old, and is the largest tree in Maui. We shared a bench with an old time resident, although I am not sure of resident status if you carry most of your belongings with you. She came from Windsor, Ontario in 1973, after doing a classic "Take this job and Shove it". She was a generous sole, offering us some weed, which we politely declined.

75ad5b38fbe4f36e98125ecb97e312bd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm loving this review as we are doing this same cruise in January 2019. Have been to Hawaii several times on land vacations but this will be the first time cruising there. Love all your suggestions as we will also spend some time in San Francisco pre cruise.

I'm loving this review as we are doing this same cruise in January 2019. Have been to Hawaii several times on land vacations but this will be the first time cruising there. Love all your suggestions as we will also spend some time in San Francisco pre cruise.

Thanks for following along. Because this trip report is taking me so long to do, there are times I wonder

502a13c2f7030da3d45c71512ad32d31.jpg

It is good to get a little feedback. Enjoy your time in San Francisco.

We were on the Grand a few years ago and since have read posts/reviews saying her condition has declined (water leaks dripping into buckets in the hallways, toilets not working, a/c not working, etc., etc., etc.).

But some others say she's fine and you can always find something if you want to (true). After all, it's a ship constantly in use and being attacked by the weather and the sea, etc.

How are you finding her condition? We were booked booked on her for the April 8, 2017 HI cruise but had to cancel. We're now booked on her for an April 2019 cruise (as we're doing another one in between).

Thanks!

• Like 1

We were on the Grand a few years ago and since have read posts/reviews saying her condition has declined (water leaks dripping into buckets in the hallways, toilets not working, a/c not working, etc., etc., etc.).

But some others say she's fine and you can always find something if you want to (true). After all, it's a ship constantly in use and being attacked by the weather and the sea, etc.

How are you finding her condition? We were booked booked on her for the April 8, 2017 HI cruise but had to cancel. We're now booked on her for an April 2019 cruise (as we're doing another one in between).

Thanks!

It is true that you can find leaks dripping into buckets like this.

5ef18600b62a67a231a3177dcdd943de.jpg

More about the ship when I get to the end of the report.

We tender back to the ship and decide to take a quick dip in the pool before getting ready for supper. The easiest way to the Calypso Pool from our aft cabin, was up the staircase, and through the Horizon Court. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed the layout of the ship. I know, we could go up a deck, out the starboard side, then back down at the pool, but then we would miss what they are preparing for the buffet.

They were setting out a carved ice pineapple

7161cc575a86e3b28f58ba61eeb82b58.jpg

And assorted fruit displays.

4236866cfd31b28a4ee9867ecdbbbd33.jpg

95b629bf440304963bc1ef28f61798f3.jpg

Since we have abandoned our Main Dining Room table and opted for Anytime dining now, we have this on the menu for tonight.

8c17ddb3ff14d185b9c37fae48a7fafc.jpg

Sorry, no food photos for tonight. DW was getting annoyed with me taking so many photos.

So these will have to be my last photos of the day of Maui, as we head to dinner and the show. Tomorrow is another day, and another island.

Maui

dda98f06b0a3c4d524fb94f8c7069ac0.jpg

It is raining on Lanai

b322412433b5a8fbb153467b367a1d13.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for following along. Because this trip report is taking me so long to do, there are times I wonder

We're doing a similar trip next year, leaving from Vancouver. I'm loving this thread, thanks so much!

We were on the Hawaii cruise just before you. I really enjoy reading your reports and seeing your photos! :)

Thanks so much for taking all the time to write such a great review. Love your pictures. We are taking the Star out of LA in Jan., 2018. We have done this cruise several times and are looking for different things to do. I made notes of your findings at the baby beach. Was the Jodo Mission close by? Did they still offer whale watching excursions on the pier? :D

Thanks!

We were on the Grand last December and while she is looking a little older and worn she did have some dry dock repairs right before we got her. So I thought she looked great!! Going on her again this year. We've had toilet trouble on her in the past where the closer you got to the end of the cruise the more public toilets were out of commission but that happens on other ships as well.

If you look for positives, you will find them, and vice versa.

We've always loved our Princess cruises and as long as the Grand sails out of SF we will continue to cruise on her [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk