Carnival Dream out of New Orleans - Can i get to airport for 11:25 flight

dreamv

So carnival says no flights earlier then 11:30. Surely 5 minutes isn't going to kill me right? We plan to take bags off ship and catch uber to airport in New Orleans. Any tips? Will we make it? Does Uber hang close by like the taxis will? Thx

While it's pushing it, I definitely think it's doable with an early debarkation time. We're typically off the boat well before 9:30, so you shouldn't have a problem, barring unforeseen circumstances. That said, IF something happens and you miss your flight, you can't blame Carnival.

IF customs processes the ship quickly to start debarkation on time. IF you have no trouble getting thru customs. IF the ship arrives at its normal time. IF nothing slows the ship on its normal 8 hour trip up the river. IF there is an Uber nearby. If all goes well, then you should maybe be ok. Why stress about it? Later sounds better IMHO.

As long as you have an early debarkation zone you should be fine. I have made that flight time several times, with time to spare. In January I made a 9:45 am flight, doing self assist, I was at the airport at 8:15am.

My standard answer is if you are asking you are worried about making the flight.

What is your back up plan? Are you booked on a ticket that will allow you to move it to a later flight? Can you afford a same day ticket price home? If you book outside Carnivals recommended time will it void your travel insurance?

I have had occasions when I wanted to book the "early" flight to save $$ or not have to wait around the airport forever or even just to get home earlier. There have been times I arrived at the airport in time to change my flight, or to kick myself for not booking the early flight. There have been just as many times I have been so thankful for not booking that early flight. Sitting in traffic looking at my watch and saying "our flight would be leaving if I had taken that earlier time."

Only you know what you are comfortable booking. Whichever you pick, have a wonderful cruise and a non eventful journey.

We have had two experiences in New Orleans where we weren't even able to get off the ship til 10:30 or 11am.

Take a later flight and enjoy the quarter one last time.

We just gave our luggage to a company called "Advance check in" and they sent them to the airport baggage claim for us. They met us in bag claim with all of our bags when we got there for $40. I think that works for up to 4 bags - we travel with only one bag each every time but still a pain to take to the FQ for a nice lunch.

Yes, absolutely, you can...IF:

There are no weather or traffic delays coming up the river AND there is no delay in USCBP clearing the ship AND there are no delays clearing customs once you're off the ship AND there are no traffic headaches between the port & the airport AND there are no delays clearing TSA security once you get to the airport.

I have sailed out of New Orleans a bunch of times and have never had a problem getting off the ship before 8 am (usually by 0730) using self debarkation with FTTF or being Platinum. If you are willing to take the risk if it doesn't work out, I would not hesitate to book that flight.

Good luck!

Brad

We cruised on the Dream a little over a year ago, we did self debarkation(no special status or anything, just got our own bags and left) and we were on I-10 by 9:30 headed home. Of course, like others said we had nothing to slow us down. I was up early that morning and we were docked at the port by 6:00 AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So carnival says no flights earlier then 11:30. Surely 5 minutes isn't going to kill me right? We plan to take bags off ship and catch uber to airport in New Orleans. Any tips? Will we make it? Does Uber hang close by like the taxis will? Thx

As other have said there are a lot of "If's" involved. One thing to consider is "IF" you are cruising during a time of year when fog may be a factor. The ports can close due to fog or the ship could be really delayed due to fog. I personally would book a later flight rather than take a chance.

Shouldn't be an issue if you're among the first off. Sometimes it can be a "battle royale" in grabbing a cab by the port, but if you're off by no later than 8:30, you're golden.

Most cruisers think that airline terminals are terribly crowded based on their experiences when they arrive in the afternoon or evening. However, the morning weekend lines are quite sparse if you arrive at or around 8 AM or so. Of course, having Global Entry or being TSA pre-checked is a big plus if you do happen to see security lines. Using carry on or carry off luggage is another time saver.

I haven't flew out of MSY in a while, but the last two cruises I did were in MIA and FLL, and both times the airport terminals were EMPTY at 8 AM. I was even able to switch from an 11AM departure to an 8:30AM departure at MIA to LGA on Delta of all airlines.

The OP is only 5 minutes out of the suggested time.

My standard answer is if you are asking you are worried about making the flight.

What is your back up plan? Are you booked on a ticket that will allow you to move it to a later flight? Can you afford a same day ticket price home? If you book outside Carnivals recommended time will it void your travel insurance?

I have had occasions when I wanted to book the "early" flight to save $$ or not have to wait around the airport forever or even just to get home earlier. There have been times I arrived at the airport in time to change my flight, or to kick myself for not booking the early flight. There have been just as many times I have been so thankful for not booking that early flight. Sitting in traffic looking at my watch and saying "our flight would be leaving if I had taken that earlier time."

Only you know what you are comfortable booking. Whichever you pick, have a wonderful cruise and a non eventful journey.

Love your response. It is exactly how we do it. Always do the risk assessment. If you can't afford the consequences of missing the early flight, take the later one.

Are you flying Southwest? If so - book two flights and cancel whichever one you don't make!

That being said - we sailed on Triumph twice last year and I think we could have easily been at the airport by 9, if we needed to.

You all caused my anxiety to increase a bit. I have nothing special to get me thru the airport or off the ship and we are on the Riviera deck so I think they get off last? We are flying Southwest and the next flight is 7:40p. The comment about booking two flights is sort of brilliant. I'm going to have to ponder that. If I use points I'm not stuck having to rebook in a year right, they just refund the points. Then again I'm within 5 minutes of the time they give so feel like it "shouldn't" be a problem, and I can cancel my SW and rebook. Thanks for the toughts!

You all caused my anxiety to increase a bit. I have nothing special to get me thru the airport or off the ship and we are on the Riviera deck so I think they get off last? We are flying Southwest and the next flight is 7:40p. The comment about booking two flights is sort of brilliant. I'm going to have to ponder that. If I use points I'm not stuck having to rebook in a year right, they just refund the points. Then again I'm within 5 minutes of the time they give so feel like it "shouldn't" be a problem, and I can cancel my SW and rebook. Thanks for the toughts!

Definitely a good idea if you're booking with points, I forgot to suggest that. I try to keep some points booked just for that reason.