Cruising in December

nette318

I will be going on a cruise in December on the Carnival Liberty out of Orlando Fl. Wanting to know how the weather going to be. Have anybody cruised in the month of December? How was the weather?

We did out of New Orleans, 5 day to Cozumel and Progresso. It was a fantastic cruise and I believe the sunshine kept me out of a little winter blues that year.

The seas were high at one point, 17 feet, not-a-too-bad according to the captain. The high winds did cause the top decks to be closed and all water tours were cancelled in Cozumel. If chakannab had swearshirts, we would have bought them!

What happens is the cold fronts that come through the US continue on, in our case through the gulf. The winds cause the high seas, etc.

I say go for it, but roll with it in case you have high winds or seas.

We've cruised several times in early December. It was pretty cool for sail-a-way in Jacksonville and New Orleans, but once you get to your destinations, the weather should be nice and warm. Make sure you have something warm to put on for the morning you come back too. Have a great trip.

I will be going on a cruise in December on the Carnival Liberty out of Orlando Fl. Wanting to know how the weather going to be. Have anybody cruised in the month of December? How was the weather?

Very pleasant.

Our first cruise was out of Ft Lauderdale, week after Christmas, 2013...4 night to Cozumel. Weather was perfect, our day in Coz it was sunny and low - mid 80sWater at the beach was a tad bit cool but tolerable to swim in. The pools on the ship were a little too cold for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've cruised a lot in December (teachers!). Most times, it is nice. However, one time we hit a front on the Disney Magic just south of Miami going north to Port Canaveral. The temperature was in th 50's, but we had a north wind -- and we were heading north, so we had a 40 knot wind we were experiencing. Brrrrrr! The hot tubs were too cold to stay in so we watched a movie and took some naps. Waves were BIG but it was fun to watch the ship plow through them. Hardly felt it all, because we were running right into the waves, but the spray was going up to the 8th deck. It kept getting colder. By the time we got back to Canaveral, there were icicles on the buildings.

Another time, we were coming back from Cayman on the Liberty, and we rounded the west side of Cuba. As we did, we hit a front that had come down from the States. The weather got cool (60's) but the wind made it much colder. But hey, its still a cruise. The waves were fun, the food was great, and there were lots of blankets. The last three years, its been nice and warm everywhere we've been, so I'd say take a chance. Good luck.

I think you'll enjoy it! I have cruised in the winter and while the water is a little chilly, it's not unbearable. Bring a jacket for nights on sea days in case you hit a front or return to colder temps.

Cold fronts in Fla. in December are uncommon but do occur. Even this far south we've had nights in the 40s. Watch the weather reports and pack a sweatshirt to be safe. Even when there is a front it's usually not cold for more than a day or two before it's back n the 70s. And if your ship is heading even further south it will get warmer.

If you get seasick you might want to bring Dramamine. A front can bring rough seas as the poster above mentioned.

Also, December mornings can be a little cool, think low 60s, but then warm up, so if you like to sit outside on deck w/your coffee that sweatshirt I mentioned might come in handy. Enjoy your trip.

We went in December last year. Bring a jacket or sweater because when you head back it will start getting cooler. It was so windy and cold one morning and that evening, I was glad I had decided to bring one.

Looks like the Liberty sailings go to Nassau and the Bahamas, not the Caribbean. It can be sunny and warm in the daytime, or possibly a bit chilly at night, esp. on a moving ship, so dress like you would for December weather in Florida.

It really is going to depend on where the jet stream is. Cruised a couple of times at Christmas and once in mid-Jan. Even in Miami, we tend to wear jeans and a short sleeved shirt onto the boat, with a sweatshirt handy. Sometimes it has been warm enough for shorts - in January, the east cost was having a cold snap. Keep in mind that Nassau is actually north of Miami. The high was 72 in Cozumel and the water temperature was 72. Fine when it it - cold as all get out when you got out!

Thank you everybody for you all replies. I would definitely keep everything in mind, by bringing a sweatshirt/jacket and some jeans as well. We are excited just never cruised in December. I have cruised in November and the weather was great every time, except for one rough sea day, but overall great, so I hope for the best this time around.

I would say it depends on where you are coming from. We cruise in December every year and the weather is warm and fine for swimming. The only time it is a little chilly is at night after sunset.

If you're coming from up North where the winters are cold and snowy, you will be fine. If you're coming from somewhere with mild winters, bring a sweater.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I like in Orlando, FL and the weather in December really depends. Could be as cold as 40-50 degrees or could be as hot as 85 degrees. From experience, the most common is the 70s. The closer you are to Christmas, the hotter it will be too. It's never cold on Christmas here