Nieuw Statendam - I'm Booked, Are You?

All right "haladdict", Tim and James. :champagne-toast: I would love to do 18 nights, but as I'm still a Monday through Friday guy, I just don't have the ability.

I did have my reservation shifted over to the April 14-21, 2019 Eastern Caribbean sailing, and I nabbed the largest of the OO-category. And, that reduces my per-night cost to $320. I'm having to cancel a 10-night Queensland, Australia cruise on Princess (yet again) and push it back to autumn 2019, but it will just be easier in the general scheme of things. Happy, happy!

I would be cautious about booking February 2019. The possibility of a RSVP charter is very real.

If I had kept my booking on the Feb 2017 Koningsdam RSVP charter I would have saved $600. Live and learn.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

The RSVP cruise this year, I believe, was Feb 5 - 12. I was on the Koningsdam for the next cruise and had a wonderful time.

So you are saying I should run out and change my booking on the chance that RSVP or some other group might charter? I am well aware that booking this far in advance runs that chance. If it does happen, either it will be far enough out that I can easily change my plans, or HAL will compensate the change. In either case, C'est la vie!

I thought the christening cruises were always in Holland ? If so that would probably put it at Spring/Summer 2019
No. For example the Noordam was christened in New York and the Nieuw Amsterdam was christened in Venice.

I thought it was strange that the Koningsdam christening ("naming") cruise was a few weeks after the Premiere, but it would be downright weird IMO to have a Nieuw Statendam christening many months after it has been sailing! I'm betting the christening will be at the shipyard like the Nieuw A, and the christening/maiden cruise with only VIPs aboard will be from there to Civitavecchia.

Edited by jtl513

Do we know who the ship's sponsor or godmother will be?

That may be a factor in the location of the christening.

I.E. an American or some sort of celebrity as opposed to a member of the Dutch royal family?

Not necessarily. The Nieuw A was christened by Princess Maxima of the Netherlands in Venice.

I booked the April 14th 2019 ...eastern Caribbean cruise! Chose a cabin on deck 7 overlooking the bow (pointed end of the ship). Looking forward to this ship....she looks lovely. In the meantime its onto the Rotterdam Jan 2018.......less bells and whistles but more my style.

I look forward to meeting fellow CC members on my sailing.

Tom

I did a dummy booking on the HAL website, and tried to put a courtesy hold on 1018 (one of the first available single cabins) and it got stolen from underneath me. LOL

Looks like this one is selling pretty good.:eek:

For some strange reason, all of the 00 cabins will show up as unavailable on the HAL website. I booked an OO on the Koningsdam for the week after the RSVP charter in 2018. I had to call HAL to book one. Online booking showed none available. After speaking with HAL, it was take your pick.

Thanks so much, Cruiser Bruiser, for posting this thread. I hadn't been on CC for a few days and missed the news that the NS was available for booking. I read your post at 6 a.m., called our cruise buddies at 9:15 a.m., and we were all booked before 10:30 a.m. If I hadn't wanted to avoid calling them too early, I bet we would have been booked by 7!

We're booked on the January 13 17-day cruise to the Eastern and Western Caribbean, Navigation Deck. We can hardly wait!!

Best regards,

Priscilla

Changed my mind.

For the rate I was quoted, I could go on a 7 day for the same price plus an extra couple hundred.

Guess I'll do Bermuda next May.

In the meantime, enjoy the new ship, CruiserBruiser. I'm sure we'll bump into each other on another HAL voyage sometime. :cool:

For some strange reason, all of the 00 cabins will show up as unavailable on the HAL website. I booked an OO on the Koningsdam for the week after the RSVP charter in 2018. I had to call HAL to book one. Online booking showed none available. After speaking with HAL, it was take your pick.

That's pretty interesting.

Thanks for sharing that. I'll keep that in mind the next time HAL debuts a new ship. ;)

Good to know about this. In the future I won't just assume they are all sold out if there aren't any in the booking engine.

Thanks so much, Cruiser Bruiser, for posting this thread. I hadn't been on CC for a few days and missed the news that the NS was available for booking. I read your post at 6 a.m., called our cruise buddies at 9:15 a.m., and we were all booked before 10:30 a.m. If I hadn't wanted to avoid calling them too early, I bet we would have been booked by 7!

We're booked on the January 13 17-day cruise to the Eastern and Western Caribbean, Navigation Deck. We can hardly wait!!

Best regards,

Priscilla

Glad to be of service, Priscilla. 17 nights in the Caribbean sounds perfectly delightful.

Yes, I am booked for Jan 6 for 14 days out of Fort Lauderdale on Deck 7 aft.. Hope to get lots of stateroom pictures during the in-transit time in Fort Lauderdale.

I emailed Walt to start a Nieuw Statendam Roll Call thread for the ship.

I'm looking at this one also. I have to come to grips with $1200 deposit for a sailing that's almost two years away.

For the first time ever I bought a future cruise certificate; that was when I was on Amsterdam two weekends ago. So luckily I only had to put down $100. Those deposits are a pain.

I'm looking at this one also. I have to come to grips with $1200 deposit for a sailing that's almost two years away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I generally have 1 or 2 deposit certificates ready in case I see a cruise I want to book. Comes in real handy.

A couple I know just had to put down a deposit of $3500 for a cruise starting September 30, 2018 because they didn't have any FCDs available

We always try to have 2 or 3 FCD's! It makes spur of the moment and "grab the great sale" opportunities so much easier (and more affordable)! Easiest way to say "yes" when YOU want to! FCD's never expire (you get your money back if you don't use them in 4 years) and they make it so wonderfully easy to book when you see the cruise of your bucket list come along!

I thought the christening cruises were always in Holland ? If so that would probably put it at Spring/Summer 2019

Noordam's Christening was in N ew Y ork City (Februry, 2006) I was there.

Many HAL Chrsitenings in the past were held in n Port Everglades. It is the recent ones with Dutch Royal Family participating that have been held in Netherlands.