Oversold Cruises

They call local people first, on the assumption that they don't have airfare to change and are much more likely to take the offer.

They called us for our cruise on Allure in January and we are definitely not local. They saw that we had 2 rooms and offered is a deal to trade our two rooms for one.

Don't think cruise line would offer free cruise & cash like a airline could....

They do. Our cruise in January was oversold. We had 2 balcony cabins and they asked us to take one cabin for the four of us. All we had to pay was port fees and taxes, everything else was refunded and we kept the $300 OBC per cabin that we had.

Before getting all excited about how HUGE the compensation would be, might be best to read the contract. The hammers in Royal's hand, and if you are in a "bumped" situation, you'll pretty much get what they offer.

Some think we have a negotiating position in situations like this but best to understand the contract before setting that line in the sand.

If I was ever called as someone "bumped" I'd keep a civil tone and do the best I could knowing they can in fact just give me back my money and wish me a nice day.

In today's world of social media the PR hit of just canceling on you and saying sorry here's your money back, no hard feelings would damage them far more than offering upgrades, OBC and a little cash. So while you may very well be correct that they can cancel on you, give you your money back and legally not owe another dime, from a business perspective they have lots of incentive to do right by their customers in that situation. None of this is done in a vacuum.

At the same time, I wouldn't suggest being greedy. I'd probably tell them they need to do better than their first offer and see what else they throw in, and then assess if it's worth it. I'm fortunate though, I'm self-employed so I'm not losing vacation days if my trip is canceled last minute, I can go work and reschedule with few problems. Not everyone has that luxury.

They called us for our cruise on Allure in January and we are definitely not local. They saw that we had 2 rooms and offered is a deal to trade our two rooms for one.

That's not the same thing as being bumped AT ALL. They asked if you would do that. They didn't threaten to throw you off the cruise if you didn't accept.

:)

They do. Our cruise in January was oversold. We had 2 balcony cabins and they asked us to take one cabin for the four of us. All we had to pay was port fees and taxes, everything else was refunded and we kept the $300 OBC per cabin that we had.

Was responding to poster who said they'd want 100% price of cruise AND sizable amount of cash in hand IMMEDIATELY... now you getting OBC understandable...

They refunded the fare for both cabins?

I am sure that this has been discussed somewhere on this site, but i could not find it....sorry. I just received a call offering upgrades and refunds on a cruise on Majesty that we are sailing on tomorrow. We are travelling with friends from out of state so we obviously cant change our plans. If we were sailing alone it would have been a great deal and we likely would have taken advantage of the offer.

My question is, what DO they do if they can not get enough people to change? How do they decide who sails and who doesn't?

Can you tell us what the "offer" was?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

None of this is done in a vacuum - there's context, which is that there are folks out there who would take less than you to be bumped.

Biker, who overheard folks talking about "hoping" to be asked to volunteer for a flight while waiting to board.

Sweet...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Would work for us "local oldsters" ;)....but there are many others that can't change their schedule.

You planning on any more world trips? You two sure know how to do the sweet trips!

Edited by island lady

Would work for us "local oldsters" ;)....but there are many others that can't change their schedule.

You planning on any more world trips? You two sure know how to do the sweet trips!

We gotta fly to do a cruise.

Doing the TransPacific in October on Explorer....

c49ea89e3e78061536ccdb91e7c66280.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My question is, what DO they do if they can not get enough people to change? How do they decide who sails and who doesn't?

Don't know what they do, but I sure hope they don't drag you off the ship by your feet like some airlines do!;p