Where are the longest waits and crowds? How to avoid them?

Hi, Hoping someone has some helpful suggestions (know we will see snarky replies too :) )

So areas I have seen mentioned with long waits:

Comedy shows

Guy's Burgers

BBQ

Sea Day Brunch

Mongolian Wok

Anytime Dining

Getting off at ports

I know there are more...

Anyone figured out how to miss the crowds? A crowd usually means a popular event which is good for Carnival or sometimes just disorganization.

Thanks in advance.

On certain boats it is impossible to avoid the crowds and lines. This is why I love Spirit class and I am guessing Carnival hates Spirit class due to the bottom line. Early morning is always an empty boat, but also nearly nothing open.

I've never had a long wait for Guys Burgers (there are lines but they go very fast) or the Sea Day Brunch. There are no lines for the PG comedy shows, only the Adult shows. Pizza Pirate can have very long slow lines, especially late at night.

If possible, get off at ports 15-20 minutes after they start disembarking. Less waiting in line that way. Go to ATD either early or late (we usually go right when it opens). It usually seems the family comedy is easier to get into than the adult comedy.

Just my observations.

Leaving the shows will always have a traffic jam...simply stay seated until the crowds have dispersed!

Prime lunch time in the buffet...eat earlier or later, or use the dining room (on sea days).

Ports aren't usually a problem...especially docked ports. Not everyone leaves at the same time and certainly passengers don't all return at once! Tendered ports will have more crowds leaving, but seldom crowds returning, unless you wait until the last tender.

Sea days at the pool will always be crowded.

Hi, Hoping someone has some helpful suggestions (know we will see snarky replies too :) )

Comedy shows

Guy's Burgers

BBQ

Sea Day Brunch

Mongolian Wok

Anytime Dining

Getting off at ports

I know there are more...

Anyone figured out how to miss the crowds? A crowd usually means a popular event which is good for Carnival or sometimes just disorganization.

Thanks in advance.

I'll share being the odds of us being on the same cruise are low.

In a long line anywhere, I position myself near the front of a line, usually near a corner/object or obstruction. Then I just stand there for an undetermend amount of time to let the people that may have seen me go there pass.

Then at some point I exclaim to my party audibly, so the line people hear, that oops, we weren't paying attention, and then just start moving.

Works every time. Worked wonders getting off the ship before we became platinum.

We were creative getting on the ship too, but I'll leave that up to the imagination.

After reading the subject line, Longest Waits, and Places to Avoid ........ ...my first thought was Disney, or just about any tourist trap in Orlando.

Just to note, there are NO LINES getting on or off a Disney ship. It's like MAGIC!

The easiest way is to just avoid peak times. Sometimes you can't avoid them. I second the suggestion of waiting a bit to get off at ports. You can often simply walk off the ship after the initial madness. I've also noticed the line at Guy's moves pretty quickly in my experience.

So what are the peak times? For the sea day brunch, buffet, lunch spots, pizza, etc? What about bars? Do any of those get where there are no seats?

In the past I have missed some places because of the lines and no seats. Sounds like others have if figured out.

Very interesting about the PG Comedy show. I think I like it better anyway. does it ever totally fill up? I don't care where I sit just don't like waiting...

great info!

I've never seen a full PG show. For some reason people only want to see dirty comedians. :') We like to go to the PG shows with the kids before dinner and we have pre dinner cocktails (virgin for the kids of course!). It makes them feel very grown up. :)

Comedy shows

Guy's Burgers

BBQ

Sea Day Brunch

Mongolian Wok

Anytime Dining

Getting off at ports

I know there are more...

Thanks in advance.

We watched at Guys and other lunch venues and it appeared if you waited 30 minutes or so after they opened the lines were much shorter - thus a shorter wait.:)

In a long line anywhere, I position myself near the front of a line, usually near a corner/object or obstruction. Then I just stand there for an undetermend amount of time to let the people that may have seen me go there pass.

Then at some point I exclaim to my party audibly, so the line people hear, that oops, we weren't paying attention, and then just start moving.

Works every time. Worked wonders getting off the ship before we became platinum.

We were creative getting on the ship too, but I'll leave that up to the imagination.

So you dog honest people and proudly proclaim it? :mad:

Ports aren't usually a problem...especially docked ports. Not everyone leaves at the same time and certainly passengers don't all return at once!

I can't count the number of times we've went to get back on the ship with more than an hour before the ship leaves and have seen the line to get back on with more than 200 people standing in the hot sun waiting to get on. Then when you do finally enter the ship, the people are crammed in waiting to get on the elevators. Cozumel seems to be the worst place for that.

So what are the peak times? For the sea day brunch, buffet, lunch spots, pizza, etc? What about bars? Do any of those get where there are no seats?

In the past I have missed some places because of the lines and no seats. Sounds like others have if figured out.

The peak times at the buffet are normal breakfast/lunch hours. The buffet will be especially busy on the morning of port days and at lunch on sea days. We avoid the buffet and find alternative dining options, which depend on the ship. We will often split up to find the best options.

We've never waited too long for the sea day brunch. Pizza tends to be packed when all of the other dining venues are closed.

We normally hit the bars and lounges in the evening. Sometimes they are pretty busy, but seats tend to open up. There are only a few times I remember a bar or lounge being standing room only.

Edit: I don't have a secret for the Comedy Club other than arrive really early for the first show. After that, it is long lines throughout the night.

I'll share being the odds of us being on the same cruise are low.

I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, but I'm definitely glad I'm not your kind. I can't even imagine purposely cutting in an already formed line, and being proud of doing it. I do hope Karma pays you a good visit one day. :)

As for the OP's question about long lines, we generally go to the buffet at more "off" times rather than right at noon. Going earlier or later we usually don't have much of a line. The comedy club, we go early. We get there either before a line has started, or just after and while we may wait awhile before they open the door (if it's the first show) or the current show is over we are usually able to get good seats that way then just enjoy a drink before the show starts and do some people watching. I much prefer the comedy clubs that don't empty the room out after each show, as sometimes we may want to see more than one show and it's nice to just be able to stay in your seat. We avoid the lines for getting off in port by not trying to get off the minute they start allowing people off. We wait awhile, and do something else in the meantime, then when we're ready to get off there isn't a line waiting. And to get back on the ship we generally come back well before we need to, so avoid the line then too.

I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, but I'm definitely glad I'm not your kind. I can't even imagine purposely cutting in an already formed line, and being proud of doing it. I do hope Karma pays you a good visit one day. :)

You know there are people around you doing all kinds of things,some that negatively affect you.

I'll put this one up against a chair hog or a sneaky smoker any time.

Some people actually buy the privilege to skip a line, on the ship and in amusement parks, and a lot of other places.

One line I can not understand why people wait in, is for the MDR.:confused: However every cruise you will see the long lines in front of the locked doors. If you are doing traditional seating, a set time and table then why?? I agree like one poster said avoid peak times.

One line I can not understand why people wait in, is for the MDR.:confused: However every cruise you will see the long lines in front of the locked doors. If you are doing traditional seating, a set time and table then why?? I agree like one poster said avoid peak times.

We were never the first, but it used to be that if you got to your table first, they'd start serving you right away, and you could be done with your meal in 90 to 105 minutes.

That ship has sailed.

Now, with all the abuses and the cutbacks of services, you can't even get coffee with dessert, or dessert before the dancing begins. AND THE MDR IS NOT EVEN FULL WITH ALL THE ALTERNATIVES NOW.

Long lines and other crowd-related delays are pretty typical in mass market offerings, so don't think that I'm calling Carnival out for it. What I've noted is that trying to avoid the lines by adjusting your own schedule earlier is not necessarily an answer. It often leads to lesser and fewer options. I would think that our preferences would place us in the realm of those who are part of the solution and should be exempt from the solution, because we're early people. We wake at 4am and head to bed around 9pm. This should put us so far out of synch with the crowds but it doesn't typically pay off for us.

For example, using past FunTimes as a guide: Breakfast in the MDR is at 8:30 am on the sea day. That seems to be a deliberately-crafted crowding situation. Yes, we could eat in the buffet, but that's still more than three hours after we wake. (It opens only an hour prior to the MDR.) And we could order room service (and we probably will) but that's still fewer (and arguably lesser) choices than those who get started later have.

Just checking the rest of the itinerary, they offered breakfast in the MDR at 8:00 am in Costa Maya, precisely when we're supposed to be leaving on an excursion. "Thanks." (At the other three ports the MDR opens at 7:00 am, which will serve us well, I suppose. I'm hoping we won't see a big crowd there at the door at 7:00 am.)

It seems, by contrast, that being out of synch in the other direction does pay off. I recall from previous cruises on other cruise lines that catching breakfast late seems to be a profitable approach - except of course to the extent that that eats into your port time.