Is Celebrity loosing it's luster? I hope not.

Ken the cruiser

In reality,thousands of people cruise every year and only a very small number post at this forum (or any others).I value the opinions of the seasoned cruisers who compare things to "back in the day" but we are fairly new to cruising so for us, we enjoy the opportunity to cruise. We've been on X and HAL and while we enjoy the X experience, I felt the service on HAL was more attentive. The way things are headed these days with pricing,we will definitely be looking towards the better value in any future cruises.

I think Celebrity is evolving. Some will consider that good and some bad. We're not finding cruising to be of value anymore unless you catch a killer deal. We'll be doing far more land trips. Just cancelled a cruise on RCL. The tips alone were over $600. I'm not saying the staff don't deserve that, but jeeze..$600 in tips sure adds to the overall bill and then $15 for a drink restrictions on taking on booze, etc. So in general I think the entire cruise experience has lost its luster compared to the experience we can get on land.

I am willing to bet that not one passenger suggested (much less demanded) to Celebrity to eliminate the no-charge burgers at The Pool Grill and replace them with Gourmet burgers for $9.95 at the newly named Top Deck Burger Bar on the Connie.

Like you, I am willing to bet no passenger insisted that free sushi in the Ocean View buffet be replaced with pricey la carte sushi in the dedicated sushi restaurant on Deck Five where there used to be a crepes restaurant.

Like many others, we do still love to sail and hope to sail with Celebrity and Royal when we do sail.

Sailing has and is changing as some have mentioned the 'free and included' going to a fee based product offering, with some better quality I hope. Other things have been just cut out.

We too are sailing less than we did during the early 2000's. Nickel and diming is minor at this point till it breaks the camels back for us. Not sure what would be the 'last straw'. I do think too the constant rise in prices for individual drinks so as to make the drink packages look like deals and the dumbing down of the MDR to create a value proposition in the Speciality restaurants and for us the lessening of 'live' music are all things we fell in love with at part of the sailing experience.

In full disclosure too, we now have 4 granddaughters that 'trump' a lot of things including cruising time. We do get to take them to see the Mouse in FL this fall. Thus, I would do that 100 times out of 100 chances over a cruise or some other vacation.

We did the glass blowing event Eclipse a number of years ago and I won a Candy Dish in a raffle drawing, so I thought that was nice. It was not the item they blew at our viewing. It was kinda neat, but would not attend many more of them. I don't go to many production shows now either if I can get DW's permission. :)

We are looking forward to our next S class cruise on Silhouette and trying out the Lawn Grill which is in the location of the Glass Blowing, so change can be good, at least we have not prejudged this difference. Also, I like the idea of some differences between ships. I love Allure of Seas and Sambas restaurant and would most likely try to sail her again vs other Oasis class ships.

What is interesting is there is no absolute agreement on any change/update/upgrade they make. I like some, I hate some, I whine about some....(like the current burger uproar) :)

Wait -- you're the OP. If you hated all these things on your Solstice cruise, what "luster" is there to loose [or even lose]?

A few answers to your questions:

(1) I believe (and hope) they still have the Corning Hot Glass Show on three S-class ships -- it was a highlight of our Eclipse cruise and is a very unique thing for Celebrity. The newer S-class ships replaced it with another restaurant -- big deal.

(2) Game shows other than trivia -- like the "about-to-be-divorced" game or "hairy legs" contests? Wrong cruise line, sorry.

(5) We never eat at the buffet in the evening, but at lunch it has a very adventuresome menu including excellent Indian dishes.

(7) We have never noticed smoking on Celebrity ships -- they have always had the most restrictive policy of any cruise line. Also Celebrity ships don't have Promenade decks in the traditional sense [the "Promenade" deck on Solstice has no outside areas] Are you confused with HAL?

These are not exactly the correct answers regarding Celebrity.

1) The same meals are NOT offered in the buffet as the MDR. You may find the same protein being offered that evening or the next day, but generally a very different preparation.

2) late at night they will schedule games such as "the newly wed game"

3) There is smoking designated to a few spots (generally on the port side). Those areas are ALWAYS outside and confined to a single deck and a specific spot. There is no smoking permitted inside the ship.

4) I believe the glass blowing still exists on selected ships, but I can not be certain if that is true, or which ships. Hopefully others have responded.

Maybe Crystal or Regent would be more to your liking.

I agree. We just got off a Crystal Serenity 21 day cruise up and down the Pacific Coast and were totally wowed!! The best part was we only paid roughly $350/day/pp for a B1 veranda. Their cruises usually are $500+ per day. But let me tell you, if you've never been on a Crystal cruise, it's definitely worth the experience!

My advice, enjoy your cruising days, be happy you can still be healthy and mobile enough to enjoy it and be thankful you have the funds to do it. ...

Enjoy your cruising days.

Thanks 😉 Just what I needed 👍

It'll have been almost for years since our last cruise once we board the Eclipse for her TA this fall. And it'll be our fourth X cruise in total. I'm sure the onboard product will have changed since our first X cruise seven years ago.

Our take on it is that, regardless of the perceived changes, X onboard service will still be miles ahead of what we are able to experience within a comparable price range in our home country...

Celebrity was once my favorite cruise line. I last cruised Celebrity in Alaska on the Solstice. I found the experience to be lacking somehow (and Alaska is my favorite itinerary!). I was over-bored (pun intended). The crew was always pushing the drink cards and the specialty restaurants. When I perused the daily newsletter- there were few things that I wanted to participate in. Most either had an upfront fee or you knew they were just going to try to sell you something- like the Champagne Art auctions or the"free" diet/ reflexology/ etc seminars at the spa. Since then I've avoided Celebrity. Having said that- I leave in 22 days for my Summit cruise to New England and Canada. I haven't abandoned ship. I will post a review when I return.

Thank you all for your great responses! Personally, I know we'll have a great time on our fall cruise on the Eclipse, especially since I read a thread the other day that explained how to plug our portable dvd player into the cabin's tv. We always take a few seasons of some Star Trek series to keep us entertained during the slow times. We also bring a deck of cards and go to the shows early so we can get a good seat. So as long as they still have evening shows, we'll be happy. As far as the cost of drinks go, I'm a one glass of wine a night guy and my DW doesn't drink, so it doesn't sound like we'll get nailed too badly if I buy a wine package and make a bottle last 3-4 evening dinners. As far as the laundry goes, we've learned to cycle our clothes, so as long as we can get that "laundry special" every week or so, we should be good. As far as taking our walks outside to burn off all those calories, I guess we'll be doing them on the starboard side of the ship to avoid the smoking areas. As far as the late night game shows, the newlywed game is always good for a good laugh as long as we're not the ones up on stage. But all in all I'm sure we're going to have a great time and, again, thank you for all of your thoughts!

Thank you all for your great responses! Personally, I know we'll have a great time on our fall cruise on the Eclipse, especially since I read a thread the other day that explained how to plug our portable dvd player into the cabin's tv. We always take a few seasons of some Star Trek series to keep us entertained during the slow times. We also bring a deck of cards and go to the shows early so we can get a good seat. So as long as they still have evening shows, we'll be happy. As far as the cost of drinks go, I'm a one glass of wine a night guy and my DW doesn't drink, so it doesn't sound like we'll get nailed too badly if I buy a wine package and make a bottle last 3-4 evening dinners. As far as the laundry goes, we've learned to cycle our clothes, so as long as we can get that "laundry special" every week or so, we should be good. As far as taking our walks outside to burn off all those calories, I guess we'll be doing them on the starboard side of the ship to avoid the smoking areas. As far as the late night game shows, the newlywed game is always good for a good laugh as long as we're not the ones up on stage. But all in all I'm sure we're going to have a great time and, again, thank you for all of your thoughts!

We sailed on Eclipse in Dec. They definitely had the Hot Glass Shows. We walked every morning around the ship on the walking track above the pool deck and never saw smoking anywhere there. There is a small smoking area on the port side of the pool deck near the back, not the whole side by any means. I think there is also a small smoking area outside on port side deck 5. That's it. We absolutely loved our time on Eclipse. There was a wonderful staff led by Captain Leo, who was far an away the most accessible, personable, and humorous of any with whom we've sailed. If he is captain on your sailing, don't miss the late night Liars Club, in which he takes part. Most on our sailing said it was one of the best, most entertaining shows of the cruise. As far as laundry goes, we do a lot of our own in cabin with the use of ingenuity, magnetic hooks and twine for drying clothes and when necessary using the ship services selectively. There have been changes on X over the years, some we like, others not so much. However, we love our time aboard ship and choose to dwell on the fact that we are healthy and able to enjoy ourselves and focus on what we have rather than dwell on what we're missing. If you have a similar attitude, you'll have a blast.

Celebrity was once my favorite cruise line. I last cruised Celebrity in Alaska on the Solstice. I found the experience to be lacking somehow (and Alaska is my favorite itinerary!). I was over-bored (pun intended). The crew was always pushing the drink cards and the specialty restaurants. When I perused the daily newsletter- there were few things that I wanted to participate in. Most either had an upfront fee or you knew they were just going to try to sell you something- like the Champagne Art auctions or the"free" diet/ reflexology/ etc seminars at the spa. Since then I've avoided Celebrity. Having said that- I leave in 22 days for my Summit cruise to New England and Canada. I haven't abandoned ship. I will post a review when I return.

Art auctions have been on board for decades, You will only be asked about drink packages or specialty dining the first day and one or twice. A polite no is all it takes. "Free" spa info sessions have also been around for as long as spas have been on board.

So, I suspect it is something else that is unappealing to you.

Have a great time on the Summit. One of my very favorite ships.

Art auctions have been on board for decades, You will only be asked about drink packages or specialty dining the first day and one or twice. A polite no is all it takes. "Free" spa info sessions have also been around for as long as spas have been on board.

So, I suspect it is something else that is unappealing to you.

Have a great time on the Summit. One of my very favorite ships.

As you can see- I have sailed Celebrity frequently (Summit 2x, Millenium 2x, Infinity, Constellation, Equinox and Solstice 2x)- so I think my opinion is objective. Those things aren't new to the daily newsletter- but what I was saying is that I found few things in the newsletter that were just fun- trivia, games, ice carving, or free things to do. That was the point. I have noticed a change in Celebrity over the years- more emphasis on the pay restaurants and such. Having said that- the ships are lovely, crew is trained pretty well (although I did encounter a surly waiter in the Main Dining Room) and the food is good. It's still a nice cruise line and I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Celebrity-Summet-Today-Daily-Activity-planner-3.jpg

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain
adding something

We have been cruising for many years, and we both always still get a thrill when we walk up that gangway to board.

I love it no matter what. It is what it is.

Helaine

There have been changes on X over the years, some we like, others not so much. However, we love our time aboard ship and choose to dwell on the fact that we are healthy and able to enjoy ourselves and focus on what we have rather than dwell on what we're missing. If you have a similar attitude, you'll have a blast.

So very well said. Agree completely.

Celebrity lost a lot of it's luster. For us, it's all about the food and the service levels that are currently being offered. "Modern Luxury" has been watered down to such an extent that it's no longer indicative of the experience (not sure it ever really was). We don't pay extra for Aqua or a suite, so we are in the MDR, which has gone way downhill in our estimation. We enjoy the on board specialty restaurants, but the cost on them keep rising, even with the on board discounts. A lot of little things that don't mean much on their own add up to a greatly reduced experience.

We can get 2 weeks all inclusive (Which means everything including upgraded restaurants and internet) for less than 1 week for an Ocean View once you include flights, gratuities, booze package (Go Big) and port fees. That's exactly what we chose for our last vacation and we don't regret our decision at all. We will cruise again. We have our eyes on a Windstar trip, which will cost a bit more than we pay on X, less than a suite or Aqua, but provides a far superior food and service level.

Celebrity has deliberately reduced the product over the years (particularly past 5 years) so that it is a pale comparison of what it used to be in the cruise industry - a good amount better than the mass line and sitting just below the true premium lines like Oceania. And yes, you did pay a bit extra for the experience. Back then Celebrity was not competing on price.

For us and our friends - Celebrity lost its luster a while back such than none of us patronize the line any longer.

In fact we believe that Celebrity's continued use of "modern luxury" is the biggest scam job of any of the mass cruise lines - a deliberate attempt to sell something they do not deliver - far more than marketing for HAL, Princess etc.

Celebrity used to be grand FOR EVERY GUEST - every guest, got the sorbet by the pool at 3 pm, the finger sandwiches (especially the shrimp salad) in Bacio for lunch, the real lemon curd tartlets with the bittersweet chocolate square on top in Bacio, real ship made sweet yeast pastries, real cream for your coffee on the room service tray and excellent food and service everywhere and on and on.

Celebrity is now a mass market line just a bit different than the others - they are all reducing the overall experience, creating significant class segmentation, distracting patrons with technology and magic carpets, moving items to "for fee". keeping patrons boozed up with their "free" beverage packages, reducing the linkages to the sea, hawking stuff etc - while driving their dear staff into the ground with increasing complexities together with ever reducing staff levels.

Presumeably the mass cruise line ships sale full so the current cruise industry philosophy would appear to be supported by many consumers today who are fixated on price and believe that the booze packages are really "free".

But alternatives are available that provide the former Celebrity product - so that is a wonderful thing. It would appear that Oceania is the main beneficary of the backlash against Celebrity.

There are lots of ways to spend the consumer $ and most ways do not include leisure travel - so people chosing to continue cruising is not something the cruise lines should take for granted particularly given the rising costs, complexity, risks.

If you like Celebrity, more power to you.

Many of us have fired Celebrity and moved on.

The cut backs to the cruise director's staff have negatively​ effected the entertainment options being offered. There are fewer trivia and other games offered. As far as I know, no free bridge lessons on any of the cruises that I have done in the last twelve years. As others have noted, some activities that had been previously free are now available for a fee. In the last few years the quality of the lectures​ has not impressed me. The disappointment comes from knowing what the Celebrity product was previously compared to what is offered today. The extremely loud music and emphasis on drink's packages may be designed to attract a younger demographic, but those features alter the quality of the cruise experience for many of the more mature, well travelled passengers. It is not the idea of change that people find offensive, but rather the kind of changes that have deminished the quality of the cruise experience.

I keep seeing folks mention that some offerings and certain entertainment options that used to be free now come with a fee. Could you possibly be more specific. The only specific reference I've seen so far on this thread was in regards to the gourmet burgers at poolside that are now $9.95 which I think is pretty weird. Are there any good events that you now have to pay a fee for?