Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

57 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Soda, tea, coffee. It doesn't matter. Sometimes you just have to expand your audience by starting a new thread, not burying the discussion as a sub-discussion in some longer thread.

Personally, I think all three topics, as well as a whole bunch more buried here, deserve their own thread.The bigger the audience, the better the chance for a good discussion and answers to questions.

OK.  Sorry, I thought you were being a bit snarky, but obviously not.  So far as coffee, I got a decent answer.  Perhaps the original poster who asked about coffee would like to start a thread.

2 hours ago, mreasier said:

First time Viking Ocean cruisers here - Viking Sea West Indies Explorer next February.  We just got our flight information from Viking.  The outgoing flights are fine.  However, the return flight does not leave San Juan until 6:24 pm.  I looked at changing flights, but would cost several hundred $s.  So disappointed.  We have used Viking Air in the past on a couple of river cruises and were very satisfied.  Does Viking offer departure tours that end up at the airport?  I could not find any on the web site.  Does anyone have other suggestions on what we can do over those many hours?

In my experience with a later flight, Viking offered an included excursion before we were transported to the airport.  

We flew home from Buenos Aires in February.  Our flight was at 10 pm.  On departure day, we had breakfast and a few hours on our own.  After lunch Viking took us on an excursion for several hours.  We returned to the hotel to collect our luggage then Viking took us to the airport.  Worked out very well.

49 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

In my experience with a later flight, Viking offered an included excursion before we were transported to the airport.  

We flew home from Buenos Aires in February.  Our flight was at 10 pm.  On departure day, we had breakfast and a few hours on our own.  After lunch Viking took us on an excursion for several hours.  We returned to the hotel to collect our luggage then Viking took us to the airport.  Worked out very well.

Same here, last month. We had a late flight (booked through Viking) from Reykjavik. Icelandair reps relieved us of our baggage at the cruise terminal, and then we were bussed to the Harpa Concert and Convention Hall. We were in a reserved restaurant, with snacks and drinks. There was time to walk and shop, if we wished. Then the same bus driver returned and took us to the airport, narrating the drive. We were pleased with the arrangements, although we weren’t able to learn what they would be until late in the cruise.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, we will not be at a hotel but disembarking from the ship.  Due to customs, I doubt Viking will hold our luggage on the ship.

24 minutes ago, mreasier said:

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, we will not be at a hotel but disembarking from the ship.  Due to customs, I doubt Viking will hold our luggage on the ship.

Pre-COVID we had a 11:50 am flight from Hong Kong after disembarking. Most others had flights that left late afternoon.  We were all transported directly to the airport.  Those with flights before 6 pm, has access to a hotel ballroom with beverages and snacks-not meals. Those of us with flights after 6, were given a day room.  It was great to be able to nap and then shower before our late departure. 

7 hours ago, mreasier said:

First time Viking Ocean cruisers here - Viking Sea West Indies Explorer next February.  We just got our flight information from Viking.  The outgoing flights are fine.  However, the return flight does not leave San Juan until 6:24 pm.  I looked at changing flights, but would cost several hundred $s.  So disappointed.  We have used Viking Air in the past on a couple of river cruises and were very satisfied.  Does Viking offer departure tours that end up at the airport?  I could not find any on the web site.  Does anyone have other suggestions on what we can do over those many hours?

We flew home from San Juan on a late afternoon flight. Delayed departure to airport, no hotel or excursion. Customs made everyone leave the ship but let us back on board to relax and have lunch. Spent the time watching the newly arriving passengers’ awe as they explored. This was October 2018.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AuntieWerewolf10 said:

We flew home from San Juan on a late afternoon flight. Delayed departure to airport, no hotel or excursion. Customs made everyone leave the ship but let us back on board to relax and have lunch. Spent the time watching the newly arriving passengers’ awe as they explored. This was October 2018.

What did you do with your luggage?  

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Something inexpensive such as Tetleys or Yorkshire tea bags, made strong then add milk and sugar. Drink from large mug 

Agree with Tetleys (and PG tips) but Yorkshire tea is most certainly not ‘builders tea’, it’s even owned now by Bettys, the most exquisite gentrified English tea room for afternoon tea  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Tea

Builders tea is cheap.  

17 hours ago, mreasier said:

We did that itinerary in February 2023 with the same departing flights issue.  Viking took the luggage into a couple of vans to securely hold, and walked us all across the street to the hotel there (same as their pre-stay, I think) and we had a lounge to hang out in with snacks and drinks.  

There were two departure groups from the hotel, neither very late, so we still had a couple extra hours at the airport, and Spirit won't let you check bags early so we couldn't even go through security to be able to access the shops and restaurants and lounges.  There's not much seating or anything to do pre-security.

In retrospect, we would have been better off arranging our own transfers privately, maybe a city tour with an airport drop-off, or getting a day pass at one of the airport area hotels and then grabbing a taxi to the airport closer to flight time.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:34 AM, BRWolf said:

I too would like to see a discussion about coffee.  Presumably it is a European style not American style, but which brand and the strength of the coffee available in the restaurants is important.  When we lived in Germany there were some German coffees that were way too strong for us but others that were quite good.  Thanks for any insight.

Ok, living in Germany I’ll jump on that one. We found coffee on Viking to be weaker than our normal (not too strong) German coffee brands. So you should be ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

In retrospect, we would have been better off arranging our own transfers privately, maybe a city tour with an airport drop-off

This. We've arranged a private half-day tour with pick-up at the port, tour of Old San Juan including the fort, lunch at a non-touristy restaurant and drop-off at the airport for our Barcelona to San Juan cruise in November. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Agree with Tetleys (and PG tips) but Yorkshire tea is most certainly not ‘builders tea’, it’s even owned now by Bettys, the most exquisite gentrified English tea room for afternoon tea  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Tea

Builders tea is cheap.  

It's cheaper than earl grey, lapsang etc. being a mass market blend rather than a type. A decent big box catering make, but not good enough to drink black. 

4 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

This has probably been asked and answered, but how extensive is the library? And is there a book swap shelf (shelves)? I like to read real books, but don’t want to lug a ton onboard with me!

Books are located all over the ship, in various locations. You can always leave a book and borrow another one. Many titles deal with the location you are visiting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coachma said:

This. We've arranged a private half-day tour with pick-up at the port, tour of Old San Juan including the fort, lunch at a non-touristy restaurant and drop-off at the airport for our Barcelona to San Juan cruise in November. 

Thanks everyone for suggestions on what we can do while we wait for our flight.

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

No.  There are all sorts of books everywhere.  There is also a "take one, leave one"' bookcase in the living room across from the General Manager's office. 

Thanks. We like to read a lot on sea days, so this is helpful. Guess we will be wandering all over the ship! 😂

19 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks? Is there also an actual library? Novels?

Books on board have been curated by London bookseller Heywood Hill. Literally every nook and cranny is filled with books. Some spaces like the Explorer’s Lounge and Living Room have many bookcases. It’s almost impossible to sit down in any public space without having a selection of books a few feet away.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/video/why-viking/curated-libraries--recommended-reading/play.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1