Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

6 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Books on board have been curated by London bookseller Heywood Hill. Literally every nook and cranny is filled with books. Some spaces like the Explorer’s Lounge and Living Room have many bookcases. It’s almost impossible to sit down in any public space without having a selection of books a few feet away.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/video/why-viking/curated-libraries--recommended-reading/play.html

Thanks. I looked at the video. What if you just want to escape with a good mystery or a contemporary best seller - lol?

10 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks. I looked at the video. What if you just want to escape with a good mystery or a contemporary best seller - lol?

I wouldn’t fret. While you might not find this week’s best sellers, the collection is vast and eclectic. I’m positive you’ll find something to your liking as you explore the ship. 

BTW After winning our 4th trivia contest on our last cruise, the assistant cruise director told me that all the answers to the trivia contest are found on the ship. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

While I always bring a book with me on every cruise that I plan to read, I always check the library as soon as I board to see if there's something of interest. I also enjoy a good mystery, and contemporary best sellers, along with a horror here and there, and a science fiction with a historical background. And often I have found a good book to read on our Regent Cruises, and have finished it very quickly.

On our Viking River cruise, there was nothing at all of interest in their small library. It was nearly all travel related, not all in the area we were traveling, but I had already read about the area we were traveling through.There was really nothing to read just for pleasure. I finished the mystery I had brought with me and asked at reception if I should leave it in the library. After reading its summary, she said that the crew would enjoy reading it, and put it behind her desk.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I imagine the selection is better on the bigger ocean ships. At least I hope so!

It is much larger but if you're looking for a murder mystery, romance novel, etc I'm not sure how much luck you'll have.  The curated books tend towards the classics and non fiction at least when I've looked.  We have Kindle Unlimited and therefore have a vast selection of books always available to read. The onboard books I pick up are usually returned when I get ready to leave the space where they were shelved.  
YMMV

10 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

but if you're looking for a murder mystery, romance novel, etc I'm not sure how much luck you'll have.

Agreed. While there are a huge number of books on board, they are mostly non-fiction -- history, exploring the world, travel, art history, architecture, biography, etc. Books you won't find elsewhere. There is no "best sellers list" or pop culture or even classic/vintage lit in the Viking collection. That kind of stuff is all easily available through Kindle and the public libraries digital collections.

8 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

The book swap reading corner in the atrium has modern fiction, whatever passengers had and wanted to swap

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

While I always bring a book with me on every cruise that I plan to read, I always check the library as soon as I board to see if there's something of interest. I also enjoy a good mystery, and contemporary best sellers, along with a horror here and there, and a science fiction with a historical background. And often I have found a good book to read on our Regent Cruises, and have finished it very quickly.

On our Viking River cruise, there was nothing at all of interest in their small library. It was nearly all travel related, not all in the area we were traveling, but I had already read about the area we were traveling through.There was really nothing to read just for pleasure. I finished the mystery I had brought with me and asked at reception if I should leave it in the library. After reading its summary, she said that the crew would enjoy reading it, and put it behind her desk.

Found the same thing.  Checked on the supply this morning on Vidar.  Nothing of real interest...to me anyway.  

On 9/19/2023 at 1:03 PM, mreasier said:

First time Viking Ocean cruisers here - Viking Sea West Indies Explorer next February.  We just got our flight information from Viking.  The outgoing flights are fine.  However, the return flight does not leave San Juan until 6:24 pm.  I looked at changing flights, but would cost several hundred $s.  So disappointed.  We have used Viking Air in the past on a couple of river cruises and were very satisfied.  Does Viking offer departure tours that end up at the airport?  I could not find any on the web site.  Does anyone have other suggestions on what we can do over those many hours?

For past cruises, Viking has arranged a day room at the Sheraton across the street from the docks and folks were able to explore Old San Juan for the day.  The best way to find out if the do that again is to find and join the Roll Calls before you.  We have always found out the details of transfer day arrangements once on the ship.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 4:10 PM, mreasier said:

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, we will not be at a hotel but disembarking from the ship.  Due to customs, I doubt Viking will hold our luggage on the ship.

No they won't hold it on the ship but at the hotel where they arrange the day room.  You will claim your bags in the terminal alongside the ship, then walk them out of the terminal past Customs & Border Patrol officers who will ask you if you have any fruit, vegetables or plants.  Once outside the bags will be put on a bus to the hotel.  Folks with early morning flights follow the same process but go to the airport.  The ship and all passengers are already cleared by Customs & Immigration by the time the disembarkation begins. No one ever asked us if we had anything to claim, only if we had anything agricultural. You will need to be out of your room by 8 am and off this ship by 9-9:30 am.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

For past cruises, Viking has arranged a day room at the Sheraton across the street from the docks and folks were able to explore Old San Juan for the day.  The best way to find out if the do that again is to find and join the Roll Calls before you.  We have always found out the details of transfer day arrangements once on the ship.

Good to know - thanks.  Seems that the roll calls for Viking Caribbean cruises are minimal.  There is none for our cruise, so I guess I'll start one.  Those that exist seem to have only one or two responses.

• Like 2

I did ask at excursion desk if they had a biography of Alfred Nobel while on my cruise in June. She said she would check in office. Came back in a few minutes and said no they did not have it. The do have a bibliography of books on the ship  that they can check. As Clay stated,there is a couple of selves in Living room where past guest have left books. Many  of them are novels.

Others  all around the ship , a l book readers paradise.

I also use the RESOURCE link on the main Viking Ocean web page for my particular itinerary. There you will find a curated list of books and movies that will be about your particular cruise. These are all curated by a bookstore in England. I usually read number of the histories that are listed before hand as part of my research. Then I always bring a novel set in the area I will be visiting.

I  loved the book ICE by Ulla-Lena Lundberg .Written in Swedish ,  but read the English translation.It is set in 1946 and takes place on Aland island!  

Also watched Babbitt's Feast and the A Fortunate Man ,both movies that are set in Denmark .

Up  next in 2025 is a Greek Odyssey cruise, so I will revisit some of the history and literature for Greece. 

Happy reading and enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 4

On 9/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

I'm bringing my own paperback mystery just in case ! A very small book so as not to be too heavy! Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to tea time and reading as much as Im looking forward to seeing Europe??

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nonna2018 said:

I'm bringing my own paperback mystery just in case ! A very small book so as not to be too heavy! Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to tea time and reading as much as Im looking forward to seeing Europe??

I like to read to escape on my cruises too. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nonna2018 said:

There’s no right or wrong. It’s your vacation! You get to do whatever you want!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Question about Optional excursions on Viking:  Do these through the ship or arrange with a third party?

We are considering a first cruise ever with Viking (Ocean Star), the Mediterranean Odyssey in May 2024.

In looking at the "Included" excursions, most of them will not allow us to see much--they look like a budget option.  On a previous med cruise (Celebrity), we arranged excursions through tour companies that specialize in the particular region (esp in Italy). 

I can't find any prices on the optional excursions listed on Viking.

Question for experienced Viking cruisers: 

1) What has been your experience with V optional excursions, relative to arranging with a third party tour guide operator?  Were the prices and guides comparable?  Was there any particular advantage doing excursion through V (other than they will guarantee the ship won't leave you behind)?

2) If we are in DV cabin, will we even have the option of booking through Viking, given the cabin pecking order?  I would hate to find out a mere 60 days in advance that we are not able to book through Viking.  I plan much further in advance and would like to have excursions taken care of.

Thanks for any insight

Edited by benel204

2 hours ago, benel204 said:

Question about Optional excursions on Viking:  Do these through the ship or arrange with a third party?

We are considering a first cruise ever with Viking (Ocean Star), the Mediterranean Odyssey in May 2024.

In looking at the "Included" excursions, most of them will not allow us to see much--they look like a budget option.  On a previous med cruise (Celebrity), we arranged excursions through tour companies that specialize in the particular region (esp in Italy). 

I can't find any prices on the optional excursions listed on Viking.

Question for experienced Viking cruisers: 

1) What has been your experience with V optional excursions, relative to arranging with a third party tour guide operator?  Were the prices and guides comparable?  Was there any particular advantage doing excursion through V (other than they will guarantee the ship won't leave you behind)?

2) If we are in DV cabin, will we even have the option of booking through Viking, given the cabin pecking order?  I would hate to find out a mere 60 days in advance that we are not able to book through Viking.  I plan much further in advance and would like to have excursions taken care of.

Thanks for any insight

You've raised a number of different questions in your post.

Viking's included tours tend to be either bus trips with photo stops or walking tours. They are usually intended to provide a general overview of a port, rather than any specific focus or immersion. In many ways, they are akin to taking the HoHo tour (which we have often done when in a new location, as a precursor to spending more time at a specific location. For their design purpose, they are quite useful.

The question as to whether to use ship excursions or DIY is very individual - a function of your willingness to invest the research time, make the arrangements, your particular interests and your risk tolerance. We have a preference for private, highly customizable tours and don't mind doing the work necessary to find and book them. As well, most reputable private tour operators are scrupulous about ensuring you don't miss your departure, as their livelihood depends on that. That said - we will sometimes choose to default to ship tours if the 'price tag' for a missed departure is high - think a long sea passage or a location where we are not comfortable making the catchup arrangements due to language or other issues. Be aware that no cruise line guarantees that the ship will wait for you - this is sometimes simply not possible (weather, tides, etc), but they will reconnect you with the ship as soon as possible (although it may not be the best part of your trip!). 

On pricing, our general rule of thumb is that ship tours run about 2 - 3X the cost of DIY group tours. Only you can decide if the various factors warrant the markup. We have frequently found that the cost of a ship tour is only slightly less than a private (not group) tour if well researched and booked.

Regarding the booking windows, there are a couple of threads with excellent advice on how to maximize your chances of getting what you want. We have not found may cases where being in a DV meant a tour we wanted was sold out, but we book as soon as possible and follow the "sign up for the couple you really want first, then go back and book the others" mantra.

Hope that helps! 🍺🥌

2 hours ago, benel204 said:

We always book DVs and have never been shut out of the tour we wanted. That being said there are some techniques you need to employ when booking optional excursions.

1) make a plan and prioritize your excursions.

2) book in MVJ as soon as your excursion booking window opens

3) book included excursions last.

4) having an excursion in your shopping cart doesn’t guarantee a booking. Checking out does. So do one at a time. Select your times then immediately pay and check out, then proceed to the next one.

5) credit cards require you to enter the number every time you check out, while ACH info can be pre-entered. Therefore paying with an electronic bank payment is quicker. Time is of the essence.

6) some optional excursions, like those labeled privileged access, have a limited number of guests. If interested in one of those, book it first.

7) if something is sold out, go back to MVJ daily and check again. People sometimes cancel and sometimes additional tours may be added if demand warrants.

We were on the Mediterranean Odyssey in April. Here is the link to my “live” posting.

• Like 2

I'm batting clean up!  A few points that the guys missed (there are so many things to say about the excursions; it's almost easier to do it piecemeal).

•  Viking does not put excursion prices on the main website. The guest interface (available to you once you have booked a cruise) is where you will find prices starting about 120 days prior to your sail date. 

For now, and it is a long shot, go to the "Almost Live" thread and ask if someone would be willing to post the tour prices from that sailing. You may or may not get a response but it is a places to start. This will give you a ballpark for shorex prices; these will not be the prices for your sailing. Also, can you ask if anyone did independent tours and would they share vendor names.

• The guest interface is called MyVikingJourney.com, known affectionately as MVJ.

53 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

4) having an excursion in your shopping cart doesn’t guarantee a booking. Checking out does. So do one at a time. Select your times then immediately pay and check out, then proceed to the next one.

Yes, it is okay to do two at a time, especially as you get towards the bottom of your priority list.

5) credit cards require you to enter the number every time you check out, while ACH info can be pre-entered. Therefore paying with an electronic bank payment is quicker.

On the other hand, there are folks (like me) who do not want  ACH information sitting on the Viking servers and using a credit card does not take that much longer. I just about have it memorized by the time I'm done.

7) if something is sold out, go back to MVJ daily and check again. People sometimes cancel and sometimes additional tours may be added if demand warrants.

Check twice a day, even!

If there is something you really want, contact Viking at tellus@vikingcruises (not via chat and not the call center) and tell them how devastated that the shorex you really wanted is sold out already and that you are hoping that they will be adding more seats. (I try to go for the tears and sympathy vibe when I do this; there is nothing worse than dealing with a crying grandma😉).

Viking does not keep a waiting list and they do not let us know when and if more spaces have been made available.  Emailing as I just suggested is the best way of letting them know that there is unfulfilled demand for a specific tour.

No luck and no other plans? Try again when you get on the ship.

Finally, if all else has failed, show up on the dock as the buses are loading and see if they can get you onto one of the buses for the tour you want. There is always the chance of a last minute cancellations/no-shows and with modern technology your onboard account will be billed before you even make it to the bus.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 3