Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

To add to one thing Peregrina posted, in addition to seeing if there is an almost live thread, go to the rollcall for an itinerary like yours and ask them to post the excursions.  This has proved successful for me. 

Good idea. I just added a shore excursions PDF to the end of my Live post for this year's Mediterranean Odyssey cruise

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2927474-almost-live-viking-sky-mediterranean-odyssey-april-2023/?do=findComment&comment=66154934

• Like 1

Thank you all for the detailed responses to my questions about optional excursions. I greatly appreciate it.  I'm thinking that for ports in Italy, we will book those through a small group tour operator (< 10 people on a tour) we've used before (and in fact found through this site!).

2 hours ago, benel204 said:

Thank you all for the detailed responses to my questions about optional excursions. I greatly appreciate it.  I'm thinking that for ports in Italy, we will book those through a small group tour operator (< 10 people on a tour) we've used before (and in fact found through this site!).

Could you post the name of the tour operator you’ve used in Italy?  We’re cruising in February and I’m starting to research.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Frenchberet said:

Could you post the name of the tour operator you’ve used in Italy?  We’re cruising in February and I’m starting to research.  Thanks!

The tour operator was Italy tour sharing:  https://italytoursharing.com/

Joe Banana limos is the parent company: https://www.joebananalimos.net/

We had very good experience with them

I am also looking into these companies, although have not used:

https://www.shoreexcursionsinitaly.net/

https://www.italytours.eu/shore-excursions/

1 hour ago, benel204 said:

The tour operator was Italy tour sharing:  https://italytoursharing.com/

Joe Banana limos is the parent company: https://www.joebananalimos.net/

We had very good experience with them

I am also looking into these companies, although have not used:

https://www.shoreexcursionsinitaly.net/

https://www.italytours.eu/shore-excursions/

Thank you!

On 9/23/2023 at 8:34 PM, Peregrina651 said:

On the other hand, there are folks (like me) who do not want  ACH information sitting on the Viking servers and using a credit card does not take that much longer. I just about have it memorized by the time I'm done.

You can also type your credit card number into a blank email (no recipient, so you don't accidentally send it) or blank document, then copy it so you can paste it into you orders. Then you only need to remember your expiration date and security code. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

You can also type your credit card number into a blank email (no recipient, so you don't accidentally send it) or blank document, then copy it so you can paste it into you orders. Then you only need to remember your expiration date and security code. 

Yes that’s what we do. Several threads mentioned that over the past years so I tried it out just fine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

Or...you can use a password manager that will automatically fill forms with your credit card info and your name and address.  Usually two clicks and it's done.

That’s what mine does, as described. It’s part of iOS and the Apple ecosystem.

Edited by LindaS272

11 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Or...you can use a password manager that will automatically fill forms with your credit card info and your name and address.  Usually two clicks and it's done.

In addition to securely maintaining CC info, a good password manager is pretty much essential these days. The extra security of being able to easily use unique and complex passwords (or pass phrases) 1sW3llw0rthThEe$$0rt.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Relative newbie to Viking (but lots of international travel experience) and looking for advice regarding flight reservations on our upcoming Viking Orion Bangkok-Tokyo cruise (extensions on both ends).  Our current itinerary is:  

21 March 2024:  Viking Air SFO to Bangkok

22 March 2024:  Arrive BKK

23-26 March 2024:  Viking Angkor Wat extension

26 March-23 April 2024:  Viking Orion cruise

23-26 April 2024:  Self planned (Tours by Locals + hotel) extension in Tokyo

26 April 2024:  Fly Tokyo to SFO

Viking Air BC seats are $5,998/person RT

I found JAL BC seats (SFO-BKK via NRT, 1-stop) for $2,652/person & Asiana BC seats (NRT-ICN-SFO, 1-stop) for $1,513/person = $4,165/person RT or, $3,666 savings.  Doesn't include any small transfer costs.  

Although we're not familiar with these asian airports, the logistics seem very straightforward.  We'd arrive at BKK & walk to the airport Novotel where Viking has use staying before starting the Angkor Wat extension and, we'd have lots of time on the back end in Tokyo to make arrangements and travel from our downtown Tokyo hotel to NRT.

Please advise me if we're missing something or, whether we should immediately jump on the self-booked fares.  Thx in advance for any advice.

Edited by CorgiCruzr
expand
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, CorgiCruzr said:

Relative newbie to Viking (but lots of international travel experience) and looking for advice regarding flight reservations on our upcoming Viking Orion Bangkok-Tokyo cruise (extensions on both ends).  Our current itinerary is:  

I found JAL BC seats (SFO-BKK via NRT, 1-stop) for $2,652/person & Asiana BC seats (NRT-ICN-SFO, 1-stop) for $1,513/person = $4,165/person RT or, $3,666 savings.  Doesn't include any small transfer costs.  

Although we're not familiar with these asian airports, the logistics seem very straightforward.  We'd arrive at BKK & walk to the airport Novotel where Viking has use staying before starting the Angkor Wat extension and, we'd have lots of time on the back end in Tokyo to make arrangements and travel from our downtown Tokyo hotel to NRT.

Please advise me if we're missing something or, whether we should immediately jump on the self-booked fares.  Thx in advance for any advice.

As long as you're comfortable with making your own transfer arrangements AND can deal with whatever the airlines cancellation/refund policies are, I'd be buying those tickets independently.  If you're using Viking insurance, be aware your independent arrangements won't be covered. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CorgiCruzr said:

If you have booked Viking extensions, transportation to/from the airport is included regardless of whether you use Viking air or not. The caveat is that your flights must be the same day as the beginning/ending of the extension.

On 10/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, CorgiCruzr said:

I recently made my own reservations for a DC to Singapore and back from Bangkok set of flights to use on another cruise line.  I looked a LOT, and the prices were substantially higher than the ones you found.  But of course, prices will always depend upon factors like home airport, date of travel, one person's "from BKK" situation instead of another like mine, and my Singapore instead of Tokyo.  And recently I've gotten a little more wary than usual about connection time, at least when going overseas, as I hate losing time in my destination city. But those prices sound really good to me.  And as for the airport in BKK, I haven't been, but apparently it's not far from center city Bangkok, so even if you stay at a hotel in the city, it should be a relatively easy/inexpensive cab ride.  I'm planning to have my hotel call a taxi from my hotel. The only thing to keep in mind, although you may already know it, is that cruise ships must dock in the port known as Laem Chabang.  It's almost a 2 hour drive between central Bangkok and Laem Chabang. And while I'll be on a different cruise line, I haven't heard of any cruise ship being able to dock any closer to Bangkok, so we'll all have to have some patience!

6 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I recently made my own reservations for a DC to Singapore and back from Bangkok set of flights to use on another cruise line.  I looked a LOT, and the prices were substantially higher than the ones you found.  But of course, prices will always depend upon factors like home airport, date of travel, one person's "from BKK" situation instead of another like mine, and my Singapore instead of Tokyo.  And recently I've gotten a little more wary than usual about connection time, at least when going overseas, as I hate losing time in my destination city. But those prices sound really good to me.  And as for the airport in BKK, I haven't been, but apparently it's not far from center city Bangkok, so even if you stay at a hotel in the city, it should be a relatively easy/inexpensive cab ride.  I'm planning to have my hotel call a taxi from my hotel. The only thing to keep in mind, although you may already know it, is that cruise ships must dock in the port known as Laem Chabang.  It's almost a 2 hour drive between central Bangkok and Laem Chabang. And while I'll be on a different cruise line, I haven't heard of any cruise ship being able to dock any closer to Bangkok, so we'll all have to have some patience!

Thanks for that feedback; very useful.  I'm aware of the long distance from Bangkok to the port but, since we'll join the Viking Pre-Excursion to Angkor Wat at the BKK Novotel and be transported afterward to the Viking Orion by them for embarkation, that's already baked into our plan.

Now, I'm on the prowl for a cheap (using FF miles) OW SFO-BKK flight...to hopefully save even more. I saw a United one briefly (one stop) but, couldn't pull the trigger quickly enough.  Wish me luck. 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CorgiCruzr said:

Thanks for that feedback; very useful.  I'm aware of the long distance from Bangkok to the port but, since we'll join the Viking Pre-Excursion to Angkor Wat at the BKK Novotel and be transported afterward to the Viking Orion by them for embarkation, that's already baked into our plan.

Now, I'm on the prowl for a cheap (using FF miles) OW SFO-BKK flight...to hopefully save even more. I saw a United one briefly (one stop) but, couldn't pull the trigger quickly enough.  Wish me luck. 😁

Sounds like you're already pretty savy, but if all else fails, we have had good luck in using partner airlines as well as using points to get somewhere in the region and then buying a ticket to the actual place we want to go. So Vice versa, maybe Air Canada from Vancouver for example. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 3:56 PM, CorgiCruzr said:

For your Tokyo departure departing from Narita you may want to consider the bus from Central Station to Narita. We lived in Tokyo for three years and mostly took the bus from Tokyo Central Train Station to Narita. On our recent holiday to Japan this past summer we again used the shuttle bus. The one way fare is 1300Y per person, or ~$10USD with the current exchange rate.

Much less expensive than a taxi or limo, and the busses run about every 20 minutes. Luggage loaded and unloaded onto the bus by staff. Clean, safe and efficient as one comes to expect in Japan!

Link below for the bus website:

https://tyo-nrt.com/

if your Tokyo hotel is not too far from the central train station you can take a short taxi from your hotel to the station for $10 to $20 depending on the distance. No need to carry or roll luggage up or down stairs or elevators. Taxi drops you off at the bus station.

Enjoy!!

• Thanks 2

@expattraveler, three things

1. Thank you. Great, helpful post! I have already shared it on our roll call.

2. We need a thread here in VO dedicated to Japan even if Viking gets there only a couple of times a year.

3. Please join our roll call as "resident expert" on Japan. Right now it is an easy job, because the roll call is very quiet. You can "Follow" the roll call and choose to be notified by "Digest". That way, you don't have to navigate to the roll call unless you want to post something.

20 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

@expattraveler, three things

1. Thank you. Great, helpful post! I have already shared it on our roll call.

2. We need a thread here in VO dedicated to Japan even if Viking gets there only a couple of times a year.

3. Please join our roll call as "resident expert" on Japan. Right now it is an easy job, because the roll call is very quiet. You can "Follow" the roll call and choose to be notified by "Digest". That way, you don't have to navigate to the roll call unless you want to post something.

Our good friends are currently on this itinerary in Japan on the Orion.  So far so good!  Hope to get lots of information and tips from them - with the idea of booking in 2025.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Our good friends are currently on this itinerary in Japan on the Orion.  So far so good!  Hope to get lots of information and tips from them - with the idea of booking in 2025.

I am following all of the roll calls for the itinerary, scrounging for whatever I can learn.

Maybe our paths will cross in 2025.