Haven Free at Sea Promotion Extra Charges

SoCA6ft5

The $450 in extra charges are really "down in the noise" when booking a suite. Was it appreciated when it was included, definitely. Would it sway a decision, definitely not.

I have to disagree. I think between the increases in the prices of suites in general and this new change it precludes me from booking suites.

Sure, I can afford it -- but the value proposition was kind of stretched with the higher pricing, the extra 450 I just can't find a way to justify. Saving that money on the perks helped me justify paying the premium for the suite.

For those trying to stretch a bit to afford a Haven cabin upfront, the additional charges do make a big difference. They have already increased the prices for the Haven and to add these on top, does get it to a breaking point for us.

I don't like relying on the upgrade bidding since there are many factors - bid isn't accepted/no cabins available/can't cancel late if bid not accepted.

I was on the fence about booking the Breakaway in November and waiting for the Haven to come down a little bit so there goes that theory (for now).

Same exact situation (wonder if we are looking at the same sailing). I've cruised with NCL for over 10 years straight, but I hate to say it may be coming to an end for me.

I can get a heck of a vacation for the $2800*2 + 450 + port charges + tips + buying premium meals on board+whatever other costs. We are talking about an 8-9k vacation to go to Bahamas at this point. NCL used to be a great value. Don't feel like that's the case any more.

To my (limited) knowledge, up until this evening Haven cabins included all applicable Free at Sea promotions with no extra service charges. This evening on the NCL website, choosing a Haven cabin now entails choosing which promotions you would like included, and corresponding extra service charges for the ultimate beverage ($199) and dining package ($25) promotions (same as non-Haven cabins). Another case of declining by degrees?

Yes, I noticed that too when I went to re-book for the added OBC.

Hmm...having a hard time wondering why anyone would care all that much about a few hundred dollars extra for a cruise that is costing them over $7K. I can't even imagine paying that much per person for a cruise....but if I could afford it, I don't think I'd be stressing over a bonus change in pricing.

It's the principle of it. We are paying a lot for the Haven. We shouldn't have that thrown in on top of it! It's not "stressing" ... just voicing displeasure.

I looked at one date (I'll be on Seaside that week) and saw the "new for Haven" promo charges.

Does NCL want to lose more business to MSC's Yacht Club?

Seems like it. We would like to try MSC, but every time I check the sailings, the larger suite is always sold out!

Since I'm not loyal to any line, I'm trying MSC for the first time. I was going to try Seaside no matter what because the new ship looks interesting. I'll still sail NCL in the future but it would be limited to Escape (my current favorite ship), Bliss (when our schedules mesh), or project Leonardo (when built) Haven. I still like BA/GA but not when they are asking $2K more for the slightly smaller H6 compared to Seaside's Royal Suite. Even before NCL's recent changes, I was looking at MSC and their new (US bound) ships. Once Meraviglia moves to Miami, I'll book that one, too.

These recent Haven increases (DSC, promo charges) aren't huge or even big enough to chase me away but when combined with the significant price increases across the board for Haven suites (even higher for Bliss), some people will look elsewhere. I'm always looking elsewhere, anyway. ;p

There are still decent deals out there for the Haven but the gap between the high prices and the deals is too great.

I like to play waaaaayyyyy ahead. That's when the prices are usually the best. I also don't bid. I book what I want.

When I booked Seaside Deluxe Suite (in 2016), my plan was to do a B2B with NCL Escape H6. I later found out that Escape was going to NY and I'd have to book Getaway H6. It's not a bad ship but I prefer Escape. Then I saw the asking prices for Getaway. The Royal Suite on Seaside was less than the H6 on Getaway. I decided to book the Royal Suite and forget the B2B. The Balcony is smaller than the Getaway H6 but for the same money (before the promo add ons) I'd rather spend the week here....

jTNHRGT4vgI

...and enjoy the whirlpool on the balcony.

I booked for myself a Yatch Club inside suite, solo, for EUR2.500 on MSC Meraviglia this coming October. Cheapest Haven solo I could find wouldn't be less then EUR 8000. No thank you :D

I am, however, looking forward to my NCL Epic studio experience in 2 weeks!

I do not understand where everyone is coming up with an additional 450. charge. When I do a mock booking, and select all promos, the total additional charge for 2 passengers is 252.36.

Does anyone know yet whether CAS is picking up the additional charge on comped suites?

Terry

I too was very surprised to see additional charges today for Suites booking. Went back twice to check if I had it wrong.

No, they are now adding gratuities to Suite and Haven booking. I guess they have to recoup their OBC for this promo :evilsmile:

This is the final nail in the coffin for us with NCL. They've jacked up the suite prices, jacked up the deposits for regular suites so you cannot use the regular Cruise Next certificates for them, jacked up the service charge for the 3rd time in 2 years, and are now requiring suite guests to pay for the promo fees. The value is no longer there.

Count us in with those who are jumping to MSC. We've already got 2 cruises booked in MSC's yacht club; one on Divina and one on Seaside. Seaside is in a royal suite (one bedroom with private hot tub on the balcony) which we got for significantly less that what it would have cost for a regular non-haven penthouse on NCL.

Bye!

I am slightly confused - we sailed our first NCL last week in a suite on the GEM - loved it so much we put down x $250 next cruise deposits to enjoy 2 x $125 OBC on the Gem. This week we have just booked a suite for September 2018 - was able to use the $500 deposit and have the Premium All Inclusive which includes all drinks, 3 x dining, gratuities $100 OBC and 250 mins wifi. I don't see anywhere any extra charges.

I do not understand where everyone is coming up with an additional 450. charge. When I do a mock booking, and select all promos, the total additional charge for 2 passengers is 252.36.

Does anyone know yet whether CAS is picking up the additional charge on comped suites?

Terry

When I tried to book for next June, it came out to an additional $280.80 but that is for a 9 day cruise.

Contrary to popular belief many of us who book NCL suites outright, (not bid), are not independently wealthy. I work full time and budget for my vacations.

Originally, when I graduated to suites it was about 2x to 2.5x the cost of a balcony. Boy has that changed. It is now several times the cost.

Like others have said I am not willing to book less than a suite and gamble on the bid process.

One of the "benefits" of booking suites outright was getting all the perks and not being charged the additional "fees".

Now that NCL has become the "Priceline of Cruises", those who have paid outright are paying probably double of what the upsell next door did.

Like I said, MSC has matched my loyalty status, I am now BLACK. So, I will be trying them out, likely the Yacht Club. Or another line. Time to branch out.

Bummer, because I kinda fell in love with the Epic Owner's Suite in March. But ready for new adventures. Things change and we move on.

Hope to cruise NCL in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Contrary to popular belief many of us who book NCL suites outright, (not bid), are not independently wealthy. I work full time and budget for my vacations.

Originally, when I graduated to suites it was about 2x to 2.5x the cost of a balcony. Boy has that changed. It is now several times the cost.

Like others have said I am not willing to book less than a suite and gamble on the bid process.

One of the "benefits" of booking suites outright was getting all the perks and not being charged the additional "fees".

Now that NCL has become the "Priceline of Cruises", those who have paid outright are paying probably double of what the upsell next door did.

Like I said, MSC has matched my loyalty status, I am now BLACK. So, I will be trying them out, likely the Yacht Club. Or anotother line. Time to branch out.

Bummer, because I kinda fell in love with the Epic Owner's Suite in March. But ready for new adventures. Things change and we move on.

I could not agree with you more! We do have a suite booked on the Epic for March, thankfully before this new charge was put into play. I will look at MSC first for the next cruise though.

I could not agree with you more! We do have a suite booked on the Epic for March, thankfully before this new charge was put into play. I will look at MSC first for the next cruise though.

And as much as I love cruises there are other luxury vacations out there.

And there are even places I would like to visit that are... inland. Gasp!

And as much as I love cruises there are other luxury vacations out there.

And there are even places I would like to visit that are... inland. Gasp!

I agree with you. Last year we did a land trip to Hawaii that included beach front (condo) properties on both Waikiki and Kaanapali (Maui). It was wonderful and (including a good deal on first class flights) was the same price as my upcoming H4 on the Escape (w coach flights) for this Fall. We only can do one vacation a year, as we both work high pressure jobs. We try to make it a good one! I love NCL and will make platinum after my Fall cruise, but I'm not going to pay double and triple the prices I paid just a few years ago.

I've travelled extensively in Europe, and Italy is a favorite land vacation. That being said, I've read that MSC takes some getting used to if you are American. I've read complaints about cutting the line, quality of the food, etc... I may also just return to RCCL or Celebrity balconies. We'll see...

I just checked out MSC, and I'm super impressed! The itinerary for the week I was looking at is much better than what I would have on the getaway, and a deluxe suite is ~$2k/pp. That essentially means it is half price to NCL.

I'm going to do my due diligence, but NCL is in danger of losing a platinum plus cruiser with their gauging.

I agree with you. Last year we did a land trip to Hawaii that included beach front (condo) properties on both Waikiki and Kaanapali (Maui). It was wonderful and (including a good deal on first class flights) was the same price as my upcoming H4 on the Escape (w coach flights) for this Fall. We only can do one vacation a year, as we both work high pressure jobs. We try to make it a good one! I love NCL and will make platinum after my Fall cruise, but I'm not going to pay double and triple the prices I paid just a few years ago.

I've travelled extensively in Europe, and Italy is a favorite land vacation. That being said, I've read that MSC takes some getting used to if you are American. I've read complaints about cutting the line, quality of the food, etc... I may also just return to RCCL or Celebrity balconies. We'll see...

Thanks for your insight!

Luckily, I just cruised Epic in the Owner's suite in March so that checks off 2017, (although I will prob dash off to Red Rock in Vegas in the fall).

I have promosed my niece a cruise in the Haven when she graduates college in 2019, so I have time to decide that one. She wants to go to NYC (broadway) and Vegas (Celine Dion) so those are options, as well as a cruise.

There have been so many changes at NCL that I did not, for the first time in several NCL cruises, purchase a future cruise deposit. I just felt apprehensive. I must say that the direction NCL has gone under FDR is unsettling. I was a KS fan.

I am not bitter. They (he) can go in whatever direction they want. I am free to choose or go elsewhere.

Like I said, MSC has matched my loyalty status, I am now BLACK. So, I will be trying them out, likely the Yacht Club. Or another line. Time to branch out.

(y)(y)

The $450 in extra charges are really "down in the noise" when booking a suite. Was it appreciated when it was included, definitely. Would it sway a decision, definitely not.

I am in agreement. I still would rather pay the Service charges than pay the A la carte prices had I not received the promos.

I think DMH15 brilliantly explained what many of us are feeling. It isn't only the service fees that are at issue. It is the totality of the circumstances (the dramatically increased base prices, loss of some amenities and perks and increased service fees).

As most of you, I work hard for my money and am not wealthy. I also negotiate for a living and the thought that others will pay 2k (and more) less than me for the same benefit(s) is a non starter. It appears that this is going to be the norm and not just the occasional upsell that historically took place.

Edited by roddy good boy

I haven't noticed suite prices going up. In 2014 I had a H6 on Breakaway for $5600 which didn't include any alcohol or specialty restaurants . This year I'm paying $5200 for a H5 which includes the alcohol package and three specialty restaurants. Is anyone seriously complaining that unlimited drinks for two people for 7 days is costing $223???

In July 2016 I started a thread titled: "Is there still any Value in a NCL Cruise?"

That thread can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376227

I wonder if any of the cheerleaders from that thread are still on NCL bandwagon.

We like many other Platinum Plus Suite cruisers have abandoned NCL for MSC and other cruise lines.

In my eyes NCL has removed all additional "value" they had in their Suites. Now they are just plain price gouging with the inflated Suite pricing and now additional "gratuities"

Do they think the butlers won't suffer from this added cost? I've seen too many "upsells" stiff butlers to think otherwise.

Goodbye NCL