Haven Free at Sea Promotion Extra Charges

SoCA6ft5

To my (limited) knowledge, up until this evening Haven cabins included all applicable Free at Sea promotions with no extra service charges. This evening on the NCL website, choosing a Haven cabin now entails choosing which promotions you would like included, and corresponding extra service charges for the ultimate beverage ($199) and dining package ($25) promotions (same as non-Haven cabins). Another case of declining by degrees?

Hmm...having a hard time wondering why anyone would care all that much about a few hundred dollars extra for a cruise that is costing them over $7K. I can't even imagine paying that much per person for a cruise....but if I could afford it, I don't think I'd be stressing over a bonus change in pricing.

T&C state that the "current" free-at-sea promotion is only valid until June 5th at 11:59 pm. I guess at 12:00 am they updated the promo and are now charging service fees. LOL typical NCL. I was about to book and pay when I saw the addt'l charge and put my room on hold instead until I could call when the offices opened to inquire. Terrible timing on someone's part. I'll say theirs instead of mine.

Hmm...having a hard time wondering why anyone would care all that much about a few hundred dollars extra for a cruise that is costing them over $7K. I can't even imagine paying that much per person for a cruise....but if I could afford it, I don't think I'd be stressing over a bonus change in pricing.

That's because you're looking at the wrong cruises and timing. Few people pay NCL's initial asking price for suites anymore, probably why they went ahead and did this. On my last cruise it was a significant factor in my decision to move to a suite. I cruise suites on a budget, just because it is an increase for suites and Haven doesn't negate that it's another increase/takeaway. A final coup de grâce to NCL's past suite cruisers.

That's because you're looking at the wrong cruises and timing. Few people pay NCL's initial asking price for suites anymore, probably why they went ahead and did this. On my last cruise it was a significant factor in my decision to move to a suite. I cruise suites on a budget, just because it is an increase for suites and Haven doesn't negate that it's another increase/takeaway. A final coup de grâce to NCL's past suite cruisers.

Where are you getting your information regarding few people pay the initial asking pricing for suites anymore? We do, and in fact, usually, the initial pricing is the best pricing. The prices go up the closer the cruise date approaches. Of course, if you are a gambler and want to play the upgrade/upsell game, that may be an option for you. (Maybe that is where you are getting that info). For us, being in a suite is a big part of the cruise. We would not gamble on an upsell. No suite, no cruise for us.

Where are you getting your information regarding few people pay the initial asking pricing for suites anymore? We do, and in fact, usually, the initial pricing is the best pricing. The prices go up the closer the cruise date approaches. Of course, if you are a gambler and want to play the upgrade/upsell game, that may be an option for you. (Maybe that is where you are getting that info). For us, being in a suite is a big part of the cruise. We would not gamble on an upsell. No suite, no cruise for us.

From various sailings and watching the number of unsold suites prior to suddenly being listed as "sold out" a month or less before sailing. It must be nice to not notice the suite asking price difference over the last year or two. You and I differ in our recent suite booking approach, I was with you and always booked a suite until recently. I don't enjoy the upsell/bidding game and I'll agree that being in a suite is a requisite for me, that is why I have also moved elsewhere.

I have no idea what I'll do. I am sailing in a two bedroom this Fall on the Escape. I was planning to book a Mediterranean cruise for Fall 2018 and purchase additional cruise next promos. I just priced the Haven Spa Suite on the Epic, and not only has the price been raised almost $1800, but the new fees (for the beverage and special packages) were added. I will either look at a new line or explore land based vacations for a while. I don't currently see the incentive to booking early in the Haven. They must just want (most) people to bid on the suites. I like to plan ahead and am not interested in the bidding game.

Edited by roddy good boy

I like to plan ahead and am not interested in the bidding game.

I like to play waaaaayyyyy ahead. That's when the prices are usually the best. I also don't bid. I book what I want.

When I booked Seaside Deluxe Suite (in 2016), my plan was to do a B2B with NCL Escape H6. I later found out that Escape was going to NY and I'd have to book Getaway H6. It's not a bad ship but I prefer Escape. Then I saw the asking prices for Getaway. The Royal Suite on Seaside was less than the H6 on Getaway. I decided to book the Royal Suite and forget the B2B. The Balcony is smaller than the Getaway H6 but for the same money (before the promo add ons) I'd rather spend the week here....

jTNHRGT4vgI

...and enjoy the whirlpool on the balcony.

This year (June 24th) we are sailing the Jewel Booked 10 months ago, I wanted an aft balcony on 10 and was able to get one of the two. 3 weeks ago a large majority of the suites were yet unsold and the prices started to drop, so much so that I upgraded to an aft PH for $116 plus $200 more OBC all the perks and a bigger cash card from my TA, a few days later they dropped another $100 and I called and got that added to my OBC. I paid $2249 each for the suite, I just looked and the same room same week booked right now for 2018 on the pearl is $4199 a person. They didn't even think about dropping prices until after final payment, Good luck trying to get $3800 back from NCL after final when the prices drop!

For us, being in a suite is a big part of the cruise. We would not gamble on an upsell. No suite, no cruise for us.

I totally agree with this.

No suite, no cruise.

The problem is that NCL have raised the prices on their suites a lot. I guess they feel that they shall try to sell the suites for a superhigh price and what they can't sell they sell for lower prices with upsell.

We are not interested in paying the new superhigh prices so we have decided to try MSC instead.

We changed our 13-day Jewel Oz/New Zealand booking to a suite a couple of weeks ago and I noticed there were still no service fees for the beverage or upgraded dining perks. Although a lame excuse, I used this to help justify the price. After seeing this thread, I did a mock booking for that same cruise and still see no service fees. Could this be a Haven only thing and not apply to suites? If so, that would be weird. Maybe NCL's web folks haven't fully implemented?

The new terms have been posted, and they have indeed removed the language about Haven/suites being exempt from the UBP service charges. (They never actually said that the UDP service charges were included for Haven/suites, even though they were.)

They seem to have changed things so that you don't automatically get all the Free At Sea perks added to your Haven/suite booking if you don't want them, so it's possible to avoid the charges, but then you don't get the perks, either… It was obviously a nice extra benefit to be able to accept the full offer without having to worry about getting your money's worth.

we LOVE sailing with NCL.

that said, we just yesterday chose to book MSC Yacht Club on the Seaside for our September, 2018 sail vs. the Haven on Getaway. It was only $198 deposit, and with black status (their top tier, which we matched to) cost $4122 vs. the $5500 that NCL would have wanted. we had to sail once in 3 years to maintain status, so this made sense for us.

i highly doubt YC prices will stay that low forever, but you never know.

This is the final nail in the coffin for us with NCL. They've jacked up the suite prices, jacked up the deposits for regular suites so you cannot use the regular Cruise Next certificates for them, jacked up the service charge for the 3rd time in 2 years, and are now requiring suite guests to pay for the promo fees. The value is no longer there.

Count us in with those who are jumping to MSC. We've already got 2 cruises booked in MSC's yacht club; one on Divina and one on Seaside. Seaside is in a royal suite (one bedroom with private hot tub on the balcony) which we got for significantly less that what it would have cost for a regular non-haven penthouse on NCL.

Bye!

Promos come and go. They have a beginning date and an end date. Some will be pleased with various options, some will have a tizzy fit.

Lots of cruising options out there. By the way, those options change too.

Smooth sailing to all.

Promos come and go. They have a beginning date and an end date. Some will be pleased with various options, some will have a tizzy fit.

Lots of cruising options out there. By the way, those options change too.

Smooth sailing to all.

This. You should change your user name to "VoiceofReason".

The new terms have been posted, and they have indeed removed the language about Haven/suites being exempt from the UBP service charges. (They never actually said that the UDP service charges were included for Haven/suites, even though they were.)

If we are already booked and PIF would we see any changes? Would they add this onboard? What about the room service charges?

For those trying to stretch a bit to afford a Haven cabin upfront, the additional charges do make a big difference. They have already increased the prices for the Haven and to add these on top, does get it to a breaking point for us.

I don't like relying on the upgrade bidding since there are many factors - bid isn't accepted/no cabins available/can't cancel late if bid not accepted.

I was on the fence about booking the Breakaway in November and waiting for the Haven to come down a little bit so there goes that theory (for now).