Haven Free at Sea Promotion Extra Charges

SoCA6ft5

Suites are being filled as demand dictates, just to different people. NCL's new model sells what they can at a high rate to those willing to pay the price, then last minute discounts those cabins left to the highest bidder. I suppose FDR justifies that with his statements to the contrary because the cabins weren't offered to the public at that price, just to those already booked. I have to think the plan is maximizing profits or they wouldn't be doing it.

In the past, with old style upsell, the disparity in price paid for the same cabin was not as obvious as I feel it was less common. The new suite pricing model seems to be causing many more unsold cabins going to the bidding system. I know people here keep saying "You shouldn't worry about what other's paid for their cabin". Some people might be able to do that, but it I found it quite annoying to hear the stories about how they paid half what I did. I had hoped NCL might not be taking into consideration it's customers like you and I that were paying for the suites outright and are not willing to take our chances with winning a bid, and since we find the full price unappealing we are forced to look elsewhere. The larger numbers of unsold suites one month out is evidence past suite purchasers either don't like the system or are unwilling to pay asking prices.

There will always be a segment of NCL's customers who will pay asking price for the suites even if they doubled or tripled in cost, I think that is what NCL is working on determining right now, how far can they push initial suite purchasers and still have overall profits make sense by filling in the empty cabins with bidders. Unfortunately based on watching some of the reported winning bid amounts and then seeing policies like the one in this thread it seems NCL is not going to change the model anytime soon. Whether losing customers like us matters, it's doubtful. We have been replaced by those willing to take a chance with the bidding system.

Agree 100%. Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I respectfully disagree. NCL is NOT setting prices on demand. If that were true they would be selling them to people like ME who book suites. Insread, the demand is NOT being met. Not even close. Hense the huge numbers sold at a discount through the bid process. This creates a huge disparity in what suites/havens actually go for.

Ships like Breakaway only have about 80 suites, have you seen stats on how many are pre sold vs upgrades?

I've only booked suites directly and don't mind paying a $200 service charge because my wife and I drink a lot on vacation. I think a better option would be to charge the 18% on drinks you actually buy, not on the entire cost of the package. I doubt very many people who have the drink package actually go through $1100 of drinks.

I have been amazed by this thread by how often I have agreed by nearly everyone's posts as so many valid points have been raised.

I have been fortunate enough to sail in the Haven 7 times over the last three years. I have enjoyed each and every cruise and booked well in advance. Prices go up ... unfortunately, that's what happens in life.

But ... when I pay premium prices, I expect consistency in terms of product and conditions. It's one thing to grudgingly pay more to maintain an excellent product. It's another to actually be provided with less.

In the past three years, the selection of available liquors in the UBP have been severely reduced. My wine-by-the-glass selection is now reduced to one choice per varietal. No more pillow chocolates. No live music in The 5 o'clock Somewhere Bar - only perpetual Karoke.

The UDP is no more ... limitless dining reduced to three meals. Daily Service Charges? Now replaced by virtually useless shore excursion credits on outrageously marked up tours.

While there are a lot of angry threats and "I'll go elsewheres" on this thread, nothing will change until you vote with your wallet.

I have ... one year ago, I had three Havens booked.

This year - none.

Yacht Club?

Four booked including one final payment.

I'll let you know how it turns out!!!

Am I correct in thinking that the additional grats for both drink and dining package are part of the current promo.??

The current promo is listed as ending June 30, 2017.

I cannot find a press release that there is a permanent change to the previous policy of no additional grats for these promotions in Suites and Haven cabins.

Hopefully, NCL will go back to previous policy regarding Suites and Haven.

Already not thrilled with yet another increase in DSC.

Also, just noticed that a certain discount travel service no longer offer Suites and Haven in their NCL offerings. Only able to go up to Mini Suite in pricing.

I have been amazed by this thread by how often I have agreed by nearly everyone's posts as so many valid points have been raised.

I have been fortunate enough to sail in the Haven 7 times over the last three years. I have enjoyed each and every cruise and booked well in advance. Prices go up ... unfortunately, that's what happens in life.

But ... when I pay premium prices, I expect consistency in terms of product and conditions. It's one thing to grudgingly pay more to maintain an excellent product. It's another to actually be provided with less.

In the past three years, the selection of available liquors in the UBP have been severely reduced. My wine-by-the-glass selection is now reduced to one choice per varietal. No more pillow chocolates. No live music in The 5 o'clock Somewhere Bar - only perpetual Karoke.

The UDP is no more ... limitless dining reduced to three meals. Daily Service Charges? Now replaced by virtually useless shore excursion credits on outrageously marked up tours.

While there are a lot of angry threats and "I'll go elsewheres" on this thread, nothing will change until you vote with your wallet.

This year - none.

Yacht Club?

I also let my wallet speak. While cruising Epic in March in the Owners Suite I did not purchase any future cruise certificates. First time in a long time. In the past, upon returning home from a cruise I quickly booked the next one. Not this time.

I hear ya.

Am I correct in thinking that the additional grats for both drink and dining package are part of the current promo.??

The current promo is listed as ending June 30, 2017.

I cannot find a press release that there is a permanent change to the previous policy of no additional grats for these promotions in Suites and Haven cabins.

Hopefully, NCL will go back to previous policy regarding Suites and Haven.

Already not thrilled with yet another increase in DSC.

Also, just noticed that a certain discount travel service no longer offer Suites and Haven in their NCL offerings. Only able to go up to Mini Suite in pricing.

Press release?? Most of the changes the last couple years have all been quietly made.

Suites are being filled as demand dictates, just to different people. NCL's new model sells what they can at a high rate to those willing to pay the price, then last minute discounts those cabins left to the highest bidder. I suppose FDR justifies that with his statements to the contrary because the cabins weren't offered to the public at that price, just to those already booked. I have to think the plan is maximizing profits or they wouldn't be doing it.

In the past, with old style upsell, the disparity in price paid for the same cabin was not as obvious as I feel it was less common. The new suite pricing model seems to be causing many more unsold cabins going to the bidding system. I know people here keep saying "You shouldn't worry about what other's paid for their cabin". Some people might be able to do that, but it I found it quite annoying to hear the stories about how they paid half what I did. I had hoped NCL might not be taking into consideration it's customers like you and I that were paying for the suites outright and are not willing to take our chances with winning a bid, and since we find the full price unappealing we are forced to look elsewhere. The larger numbers of unsold suites one month out is evidence past suite purchasers either don't like the system or are unwilling to pay asking prices.

There will always be a segment of NCL's customers who will pay asking price for the suites even if they doubled or tripled in cost, I think that is what NCL is working on determining right now, how far can they push initial suite purchasers and still have overall profits make sense by filling in the empty cabins with bidders. Unfortunately based on watching some of the reported winning bid amounts and then seeing policies like the one in this thread it seems NCL is not going to change the model anytime soon. Whether losing customers like us matters, it's doubtful. We have been replaced by those willing to take a chance with the bidding system.

I think you are correct. I'm thinking the successive upgrading of one person, then the person to that room, etc. could be making more money than someone booking a suite outright.

I think you are correct. I'm thinking the successive upgrading of one person, then the person to that room, etc. could be making more money than someone booking a suite outright.

Weren't they always offering upgrades to unsold suite cabins before this bidding thing? I know I was offered one 18 months ago without bidding.

It is complicated, but I think I finally understand the strategy here. If NCL can sell 2/3 of the Haven at the new inflated list prices, they can use the bidding system to upsell the other 1/3. Keep in mind, they have also raised the prices of mini-suites and balconies. So by setting minimum bids, the unsold cabins are now going for the old listing prices. It's a win win for NCL.

What am I basing this on?

In Sept. 2014, I paid $3800 on the Breakaway for a Haven Spa Suite. The price included the unlimited meal plan, and UBP (no gratuities required). Additionally, I had approximately $700 in OBC (in combination from both my online TA and NCL). Admittedly, it was a sweet deal, but that was the price! Compare that with today's list price. A spa mini suite is currently priced at 3k. If someone upsells to the Haven today, they will pay (at least) $750 per person on top of the 3k. Additionally, they will pay the gratuities on the 'free' packages and won't even be entitled to all 5 of the perks....

NCL will have significant profits from those who paid full price for the Haven, plus from those who think that they are getting a great deal on an upgrade.

Edited by roddy good boy

This year - none.

Yacht Club?

THANK YOU for saying everything I tried to say much more clearly... you hit all my points perfectly!

Dh and I would be part of the group NCL is trying to obtain...we just booked our first cruise with NCL a few weeks ago in a Deluxe owners suite for the end of Nov 2018. I have to be honest I was quite surprised as to how much we ended up paying which was 14000+ (or 19000+ cdn) for a one week cruise. Because this was a special occasion and we wanted something different from our usual land based trips.we were prepared to bite the bullet, but I compared this with our most recent trip which included Caneel Bay in St JoHn, and La Samanna in St Martin(where we had suites at both places) and astonishingly they were less expensive.

So fast forward to this week and RCCL has a special for the royal suite ,same days and better itinerary for our tastes. I get the suite perks are not as good but we've sailed on RCCL in a royal suite before and it was terrific and OMG it is HALF the price of NCL. When I saw the pricing I seriously thought that RCCL had made an error. So now we're sitting with deposits on both. As much as we'd like to experience the Haven I'm having a hard time believing that it is worth an extra $7000 over and above a RS on RCCL so I'm pretty sure I know what we're going to do.

All of t

+1. I don't know if we would have booked with NCL for our next cruise if we would have paid the gratuity on the beverage package. DH rarely drinks. I drink wine and since we will be traveling through wine country to embark, we will probably bring bottles on board and pay corkage. Things my husband would drink... bottled water, sparkling water in cabin and specialty coffees....not included.

If in the top suite on the ship some non alcoholic beverages are included in the room. well at least for now. Still ironic that last year we were in the GV on the Jade and had to pay for anything I ordered in a restaurant-unless I brought it down from the room yet the room came with unlimited canned sodas and sparkling/still water (much appreciated). Also came with 12 bottles of hard alcohol- 6/week in addition to two bottles of champagne- none of which we consumed. At least I had the option to byob to dinner if I wanted a can of soda but having to bring your own drinks to dinner is a pain so I ended up with a bar bill despite sailing in one of the most expensive rooms at sea and having free drinks. The wine inclusions are dismal. Now that there's a charge for UBP it seems pointless for a wine drinker to even take the package and pay those prices for a couple glasses of $4/bottle on land wine. Much better to just pay the corkage fees and drink an acceptable glass. That's what I saw a lot of people doing on two week med sailing. At least wine can be brought onboard. My next sailing I figure I'll spend about 1k extra for two weeks just for water, canned Diet Pepsi, specialty coffee and fresh squeezed juices. That's for two people a few sodas from mini bar/day, few bottles of sparkling water and a couple lattes . NCL received the nickel and dime reputation and it's well deserved. Sure I could fill bottles from the bathroom sink ... but that's not the way I want to vacation. At least we don't get hit with the UBP charge on top of that.

This happened to me. Saw a reduction in price on my cruise for Nov 2018. Contacted my TA and asked for price reduction. Confirmation arrives and there is $156 pp service charge on the drink package. This means NCL charged me 18% on $867! I don't drink much and DH only likes top shelf scotch which isn't included in the package. I called my TA and said take off the beverage package! We will use the OBC to buy drinks. My solution is to charge 18% to every drink sold. Let's say you have the "free" beverage package and order a $10 drink. NCL charges you $10 + $1.80 which equals $11.80 then you get a $10 credit for the drink package. How difficult is this? What am I missing? BTW we aren't sailing in the Haven...we're in a suite.

This will make it a little easier for me. Since I haven't been paying the service charge on my UBP and SDP, I always leave a tip and now I won't have to carry any cash when drinking or eating.

I will continue to tip extra depending on service, which is typically excellent. I just don't believe much of these extra fees make it to the staff. They'd be making an insane living if even half the gratuity we pay is going to them on top of even a small wage. The extra they receive on cash tips is very important for them and well deserved.

As others have stated here we can speak with our wallets as I have found that the NCL product no longer offers me the value of luxury and service while spending $10k a week to cruise. Our travel plans are now gong to take us to Hawaii and other exotic islands which are costing me much less than a week in the Haven. We will leave cruising behind until it becomes more cost effective and a better value. Interestingly my next cruise with NCL on the Escape in 75 days has only 20% of the Haven cabins booked to date so I think the consumer is speaking loud and clear.

Weren't they always offering upgrades to unsold suite cabins before this bidding thing? I know I was offered one 18 months ago without bidding.

Pretty much Roddy Good Boy said above is what I was trying to say.

Dh and I would be part of the group NCL is trying to obtain...we just booked our first cruise with NCL a few weeks ago in a Deluxe owners suite for the end of Nov 2018. I have to be honest I was quite surprised as to how much we ended up paying which was 14000+ (or 19000+ cdn) for a one week cruise. Because this was a special occasion and we wanted something different from our usual land based trips.we were prepared to bite the bullet, but I compared this with our most recent trip which included Caneel Bay in St JoHn, and La Samanna in St Martin(where we had suites at both places) and astonishingly they were less expensive.

So fast forward to this week and RCCL has a special for the royal suite ,same days and better itinerary for our tastes. I get the suite perks are not as good but we've sailed on RCCL in a royal suite before and it was terrific and OMG it is HALF the price of NCL. When I saw the pricing I seriously thought that RCCL had made an error. So now we're sitting with deposits on both. As much as we'd like to experience the Haven I'm having a hard time believing that it is worth an extra $7000 over and above a RS on RCCL so I'm pretty sure I know what we're going to do.

All of t

Which ship and what sailing? Is that for 7 days?

It is complicated, but I think I finally understand the strategy here. If NCL can sell 2/3 of the Haven at the new inflated list prices, they can use the bidding system to upsell the other 1/3. Keep in mind, they have also raised the prices of mini-suites and balconies. So by setting minimum bids, the unsold cabins are now going for the old listing prices. It's a win win for NCL.

also, you have to be in a balcony or mini suite to even get the chance to bid. under the old system, we went from a window room to Haven - cant do that now. so people will pay more to be in balconies and minis just to get the chance (i am assuming) to bid on Haven.

Which ship and what sailing? Is that for 7 days?

Yes 7 days . Both cruises are November 18, 2018 the NCL cruise is on the Getaway from Miami and we booked the DOS for $19206 for the 2 of us in cdn $ . Yesterday we were able to book the Royal suite on Freedom of the Seas for the same date for $9767 cdn for the 2 of us. After the cruise is over we're planning to spend a week or 2 in either St Maarten or Aruba so the Royal cruise works out better in terms of where we'll be as well.

And before anyone asks, yes I realize that it is US Thanksgiving that week (but it also happens to be a milestone birthday for me so we cant change our dates :) )

Im just frustrated and perhaps once we booked I should have stopped looking, because I did want the Haven.....but how in heavens name do I say no to the Royal suite with the hot tub to boot at half the price....lol ?

Or as dh put it, 3/4 of the price ok....but half???

PS Dexddd...I just looked at your profile page...we too did the Paul Gauguin many moons ago...now that was an amazing cruise :)

What am I missing??

Haven cabins are already more expensive to begin with for all the extras you receive. Why would NCL now feel they should be charging gratituties on drinks and dining that someone NOT in Haven is required to pay for?

As far as bidding for Haven cabins, if they are still available that close to sail date it is a clear sign that they were overpriced to begin with or NCL is deliberately holding some of the cabins back from regular price levels in an attempt to raise the going prices even higher. And to hear that some of the main selling features of being in the Haven (private lounge areas by the pools) are now as crowded as the regular pools it is quite distressing. No comparion between the huge crowds on Breakaway and yatch like MSC as far as having open space and the ratio of staff/passengers. Once you leave the Haven area you cannot really escape the masses on board.

Sorry, this is one passenger who declined NCL's offer to bid on an upgrade for a 7-day Breakaway Bermuda sailing. I also declined the promos requiring additional gratituties and took the Wi-Fi (which I did not use) and shore excurisons (only booked one).

MARAPRINCE

This is the final nail in the coffin for us with NCL. They've jacked up the suite prices, jacked up the deposits for regular suites so you cannot use the regular Cruise Next certificates for them, jacked up the service charge for the 3rd time in 2 years, and are now requiring suite guests to pay for the promo fees. The value is no longer there.

Count us in with those who are jumping to MSC. We've already got 2 cruises booked in MSC's yacht club; one on Divina and one on Seaside. Seaside is in a royal suite (one bedroom with private hot tub on the balcony) which we got for significantly less that what it would have cost for a regular non-haven penthouse on NCL.

Bye!

I think I'm going to try MSC next, or Celebrity's Edge ship. The only concern I have with MSC is, I thought Ire ad that the unlimited drink package they have in the yacht club is only good in the yacht club so if you leave the suite area, drink package doesn't apply? Am I wrong about that? Seems like I must be....but these days you never know.

But anyone upgrading already paid the gratuity fees, right?

I would assume yes for anyone in a room lower than a regular suite, yes.

But those who were already booked in non-Haven penthouse suites or 2-family suites (who then upgraded or won bids into the Haven) would not have had to pay gratuities on the dining and drink promos when they originally booked... as those suites like the Haven used to get the Four for Free with the gratuities included as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens when this promo ends in terms of whether this becomes a new policy going forward.

If in the top suite on the ship some non alcoholic beverages are included in the room. well at least for now. Still ironic that last year we were in the GV on the Jade and had to pay for anything I ordered in a restaurant-unless I brought it down from the room yet the room came with unlimited canned sodas and sparkling/still water (much appreciated). Also came with 12 bottles of hard alcohol- 6/week in addition to two bottles of champagne- none of which we consumed. At least I had the option to byob to dinner if I wanted a can of soda but having to bring your own drinks to dinner is a pain so I ended up with a bar bill despite sailing in one of the most expensive rooms at sea and having free drinks. The wine inclusions are dismal. Now that there's a charge for UBP it seems pointless for a wine drinker to even take the package and pay those prices for a couple glasses of $4/bottle on land wine. Much better to just pay the corkage fees and drink an acceptable glass. That's what I saw a lot of people doing on two week med sailing. At least wine can be brought onboard. My next sailing I figure I'll spend about 1k extra for two weeks just for water, canned Diet Pepsi, specialty coffee and fresh squeezed juices. That's for two people a few sodas from mini bar/day, few bottles of sparkling water and a couple lattes . NCL received the nickel and dime reputation and it's well deserved. Sure I could fill bottles from the bathroom sink ... but that's not the way I want to vacation. At least we don't get hit with the UBP charge on top of that.

We are in a forward PH on small ship....so no bar (that we wouldn't use).

After this cruise we will probably return to Oceania. We do not book suites on O, but have sailed in their PH's with upsell. Generally, we book very port intensive itineraries, which works well with O...entertainment on O is not its strong point. But, the inclusions on O works well with what we value...water, specialty dining, specialty coffee and mini bar sparkling water. O does freestyle as well as NCL, so that we can get our valued table for two (although that can be difficult for prime time bookings in specialties). With the O life, we can sometimes leverage some airfare savings, even with deviation fees to select our flights, and use the included OBC for the few things that we do charge onboard. The overall ambiance on O is also something we value (adult and not crowded). We don't feel the need for a suite on initial booking.

That said, NCL worked for this cruise. O does not do a short 14 day around the horn South America. With the time we feel we need in pre and post embarkation cities, the vacation will be over three weeks on the NCL cruise....we would need a month for O. The cruise will have many sea days, so the better NCL entertainment might be nice.

I guess for us, it will come down to a special itinerary to go the the NCL route again. But, I never say never...

I think I'm going to try MSC next, or Celebrity's Edge ship. The only concern I have with MSC is, I thought Ire ad that the unlimited drink package they have in the yacht club is only good in the yacht club so if you leave the suite area, drink package doesn't apply? Am I wrong about that? Seems like I must be....but these days you never know.

If true I may never leave

Edited by DMH15