Is the attire on Med cruises more or less formal than Caribbean cruises?

This will be our first Med cruise, and we are extending it on both the front and back ends of the cruise. So we would prefer not to carry an unnecessary clothing in our luggage. Are the formal and semi-formal nights on the cruise similar to the attire for Caribbean cruises, or more formal?

Thanks

This will be our first Med cruise, and we are extending it on both the front and back ends of the cruise. So we would prefer not to carry an unnecessary clothing in our luggage. Are the formal and semi-formal nights on the cruise similar to the attire for Caribbean cruises, or more formal?

Thanks

The attire people wear varies widely, and dress suggestions are not enforced, so you can wear whatever you want.

Thank you Bob. I was not certain if the European cruises took the formal nights a little more seriously. Would really prefer not to carry a suit for two weeks to only wear for several hours, but also don't want to have dinner in the buffet.

It's been a couple of years since we sailed, and I've only ever done European sailings out of Southampton, but comparing to the formal night photos I've seen on Caribbean cruises I'd say you will see a lot more people in tuxedos than you're used to. Plus, most people will wear them all evening long, rather than changing after dinner.

Having said that, there are still an awful lot of people that don't dress in a tuxedo or suit, so you won't look out of place either. I would go with whatever you're comfortable with. You certainly won't get sneered at for not dressing up.

We do it because we enjoy getting dressed up for a change, and as we only live a 90 minute drive from the port, there are no luggage restrictions. If we were flying for a cruise the suit would be the first thing off the list!

We have found a different mix of passengers, depending on the location of the cruise.

Caribbean cruises, passengers the most casually dressed.

Europe, you have more Europeans, especially British and German passengers. Still many North Americans. A bit more dressing up.

South America, more South Americans and they dress up more. Also, they tend to eat late, so if you like late dining, book early.

East Asia, not as dressy as South American cruises, closer to Europe.

Australia/NZ, casual more like Caribbean.

Thanks

I've done 3 12 nite Med cruises (last 4 years go) and it's on the same level as the Carib. There are those that go all out and others that wear sport jacket & dress pants/chinos. On our last Medit. cruise we had a Canadian couple in which the wife was wearing a loose gown that basically as she walked, it seems as though there was a fan that sent her dress all over as she entered the MDR. Opposite, a German gentleman was wearing a leather sport jacket.

I've got a 12 niter coming up on the Brilliance and bringing a sport jacket & dress pants. The pants wills serve dual purpose--for dress up & photos & for other nights in the MDR.

As we age, there's lesser & lesser variety of clothing that we bring both in the Carib & Medit.

We did a 12 night Med cruise in 2015 out of Barcelona. There was quite an international mix onboard, several Spanish families, lots of Aussies and of course, Americans. I thought the Spanish dressed up the most for the formal nights. Everyone else mixed it up.

As it happened, I broke my foot on our pre-cruise day in Barcelona and could not wear heels with my "dressy" dress, so I wore a sun dress with fancy thongs and did not feel out of place.

Sue

It's a good thread to bring up the dress difference if any. We're on Brilliance the 30th. I'm undecided on the suit or just one of my dress jackets and slacks, dress shirt. I'll wait til last minute probably and throw it in the carry on garment bag. But overall, packing EXTRA light this time. I'll bring a couple pair of long khaki/informal slacks, collared shirts but that's it for dinner wear. I'm certainly not bringing a tie.

One fact is that people from the Med never wear shorts or sport shoes in the evening. Most people indeed dress up more than Americans in the Caribbean as they do the same when they go out at night at home. This at least applies for Italian, Spanish and French people. People from Northern Europe are more casual at night but in most cases follow given roules as well (even if not enforced).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

European cruises are more formal than Caribbean, people generally are more dressed up, not just formal nights.

This is what I was expecting to hear. We're on in a couple of weeks in the med!

Thank you Bob. I was not certain if the European cruises took the formal nights a little more seriously. Would really prefer not to carry a suit for two weeks to only wear for several hours, but also don't want to have dinner in the buffet.

While nothing is enforced as Bob has stated, you are correct IMO. The attire on is a bit more formal on a Med Cruise vs a Caribbean cruise. You of course do have the option of renting a tux for each evening if you feel it's too much of a hassle to pack a suit, or coat & tie.

Enjoy your cruise. We really enjoyed our Med cruise!