What is your favorite book/author to read?

Oh my word that's a big question! Some of the favourites on my Kindle have already been mentioned - Connolly, Rowling, Sanford (I have a signed copy of a hardback of his somewhere) King, Pratchett, but I'd also add in Jeffrey Deaver, and George R R Martin ( Game.of Thrones series a good long read) and the master himself Tolkien.

If you like George Martin and Tolkien, have you read Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fears? The protagonist, a young magician, is my all-time favorite fictional character. However, the final book of the series has not yet been released, and I fear it will not be finished in my lifetime!

How about Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series? That's lots of fun, a troupe of con artists in the Robin Hood mold, except they steal from the rich and keep the loot.

Edited by lackcreativity
correct punctuation

Oh my word that's a big question! Some of the favourites on my Kindle have already been mentioned - Connolly, Rowling, Sanford (I have a signed copy of a hardback of his somewhere) King, Pratchett, but I'd also add in Jeffrey Deaver, and George R R Martin ( Game.of Thrones series a good long read) and the master himself Tolkien.

You'd probably like Raymond E Fiest, similar to Tolkien.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

I read and enjoyed "The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto: A Novel" while onboard the Royal in the fall. It was part of the Royal's "Book Club" so you may find it in the library. I don't know if this Book Club was just on the Royal or fleet wide.

I just ordered a bunch of Jeffrey Deaver books. They look really good. I like the 'sound' of the Rune series. Wonder why only 3?

I just found 2 books that have teamed up a lot of authors to colaborate on short stories in a compilation. John Sandford is in both of these books. One is Lucas and One is Virgil. First book is Face Off. John Sandford and Jeffrey Deaver team up. Second book is Match Up and John Sandford teams up with Lisa Jackson. ALL of the stories and author teams sound really good.

One of the authors is J. A. Vance. I met her on a flight out of Seattle in 2013!!

Have you read The Canon, by Natalie Angier? It is a wonderful compilation of chapters, one each on the different branches of science. It is written with intelligence and wit, and is based on the author's interviews with a host of prominent scientists. I have read it more than once.

How about The Lives of a Cell, by Lewis Thomas? It is a series of essays on biology. Both of these books are extremely well written.

The Canon is on my TBR list, I will put The Lives of a Cell on it, too. Thanks!

I just found 2 books that have teamed up a lot of authors to colaborate on short stories in a compilation. John Sandford is in both of these books. One is Lucas and One is Virgil. First book is Face Off. John Sandford and Jeffrey Deaver team up. Second book is Match Up and John Sandford teams up with Lisa Jackson. ALL of the stories and author teams sound really good.

One of the authors is J. A. Vance. I met her on a flight out of Seattle in 2013!!

Thanks...just downloaded both books - perfect for my flight to Portugal later today!

Wow, great thread. since my wife is a retired children's librarian I read a lot.

My favs are Michael Connelly, Robert Crais, Clive Cussler, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Harlan Coben, John Grisham, Walter Mosley. I am reading Jonathan Kellerman now.

Another John Grisham fan here....one cruise I read the whole Anne of Green Gables series. I like to have books on tape to listen to when I am lounging both in and out of the sun that way if I doze off I don't drop my I-Pad. I borrow books electronically from our public library, when they are due they just disappear. No more fines!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
I'm obsessed with ancient history and archaeology. I enjoy reading "meaty" books on cruises -- the kind of thing I don't have the time to sit down and read/think about in the course of my daily life. Some favorite authors are Anthony Everitt, Adrian Goldsworthy, Mary Beard, Eric Cline, John Julius Norwich, Robert Hughes, etc.

My Kindle is great because it lets me bring a wide variety of things to choose from, depending on my mood and where I'm traveling. I like to be able to read the original sources on Roman history -- for example, Tacitus, Suetonius.

Robert Harris has written some good novels about Cicero (a trilogy) and a fast-paced story about Pompeii. I also really enjoyed Colleen McCullough's series of long novels set in late Republican/early Imperial Rome.

Have you read Robert Graves' "I Claudius" and "Claudius the God"? Well written novelizing of Tacitus and Suetonius.

• 1 month later...

I just read 2 nonfiction books on my Caribbean cruise. They are set in the Caribbean, so it was fun to read them while I was actually there.

An Embarrassment of Mangoes by Vanderhoof : A couple live on a sailboat for 2 years in the Caribbean

A Trip to the Beach by Blanchard: A couple opens a restaurant in the Caribbean

I always take a cozy mystery book with me. Author varies, usually it's Mary Daheim, Joanne Fluke, etc.. But I have yet to read a chapter as I'm too busy doing other things - attending music, trivia, other activities, looking at the water and horizon...

Have you read Robert Graves' "I Claudius" and "Claudius the God"? Well written novelizing of Tacitus and Suetonius.

Oh yes -- more than once. Excellent job. I enjoyed the books much more than the old miniseries that was adapted from them (or at least from the first book...)

For over forty-one years I was a middle school history teacher and then a principal. Although I read an occasional novel, most of my reading was non-fictional or professional in nature.

Now that I am a retired old guy, I read at least a novel a week and sometimes a biography which I pick up at the local swap shop in town. We cruise often and as a result I read more while sitting on the balcony or while on the beach.

I don't care for Kindles although me darling wife loves hers. I prefer the real thing and don't have to worry about glare, sand, or losing it. On vacation I tend to keep my reading light.

I have read over thirty of Alexander McCall Smith's books including his "Number One Ladies Detective" series and his "Scotland Street" series. I also enjoy Tom Clancy and have read over a dozen of his novels.

All of Carl Hiaasen's novels. Floridian author. Outrageous characters and if you live in Florida, you know they exist in real life somewhere in the sunshine state.

So true! As a 4th generation Floridian I can say that Hiaasen's work is funny and comes reasonably close to the state of mind that is Florida. Dave Barry, though not a native, does well in describing modern Florida in his book Best. State. Ever.

I just finished When the English Fall by David Williams. It is a great story, beautifully written. I receive many unsolicited books (and request for book reviews) through my job and most of the books I do not like. When the English Fall is that rare riveting book that I read in one sitting and will review.

I am a Tom Clancy fan and enjoy most of the books that are now written by other authors. Mark Greaney has authored some of those and has done a fine job I think. Recently, I discovered that he has his own series of that type of fiction and I am enjoying those books as well.

Patrick Robinson is another author whose books I enjoy (also a Clancy type of stories), but I have not seen anything new from him recently.

Very appropriate for cruising are the books by Captain Hans Mateboer, a very recently retired HAL Captain.

Favorite authors: Louise Penny, Peter Robinson, Alexander McCall Smith, Deborah Crombie, Donna Leon. This makes it sound like I only read mysteries, but not true. I read a lot of nonfiction too...currently reading a book about Rome, also the book Option B. Before I retired I read close to a book a day...no tv for me. Now that I'm retired I'm so busy I actually read less, but read at least 3 hours a day.