Pharmacies in costa maya and Cozumel.

Underway53

I forget which port we were in, however, I mistakenly left my asthma pump at home. I couldn't get a refill in Florida because there are no branches of my pharmacy there. I was living on a wing and a prayer that I didn't need it while I was away. Anyhow, we came across a 'pharmacia' in port, where they sold an inhaler for $12... even with my insurance, the inhaler is $25!!! I bought one 'just in case' and didn't need a prescription. I didn't grow extra hair, nor did my fingers start fusing together. I don't think I'd get any for real real meds, but in case of emergency and I need something real quick, I'd do it again

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I share the wish for less expensive mess, it is important to look at the whole picture. "Big Pharma" does reap big profits from meds sold in the US - they also profit by selling rights to manufacturers (as well as some meds) in other countries - with the understanding that the mess will not be shipped back to the US.

Why do they need price protection? To maintain the profit levels necessary to pay for the development of new meds - and the costs of mistakes. All of us taking meds to control cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, blood thinning, etc. are beneficiaries of the investments made by Big Pharma.

If their prices/profits are so far out of line, why are the stock prices of Pfizer, Glaxo, etc. lower now (with stock averages at record levels) than in 2000?

Sure, cheap meds are desirable - but destroying the system that creates meds in the first place is not the answer. Like it or not, the profit motive is what ultimately improves life by incentivizing development.

Better to subsidize the consumers of meds than to penalize (and ultimately destroy) the creators of meds.-

the discussion also morphed into people not wanting to buy any non-FDA from the US drugs because they didn't trust others. Since Canada borders the US and many people (including myself) purchase meds Up North, buying from Canada has the same impact as buying from Mexico.

You are right slidergirl. We have many many US citizens that come to Canada for their prescriptions. I know this firsthand as my brother is a pharmacist

I myself buy my prescriptions in Thailand on my yearly visits and my doctor totally approves. I save hundreds of dollars a year by doing this.

I also have many friends from other countries that buy theirs as well in Thailand and have never had a problem

I'm not talking about mega or franchise stores either.

Farmacias del Ahorro, Benavidez are in all Mexico, also you can go to Walmart. But my recommendation is buy the medicine in you local pharmacist. If it's a restricted medicine you will need the prescription made by a Mexican doctor and they will keep it as stated by Mexican laws

Edited by gerelmx
complete

While I share the wish for less expensive mess, it is important to look at the whole picture. "Big Pharma" does reap big profits from meds sold in the US - they also profit by selling rights to manufacturers (as well as some meds) in other countries - with the understanding that the mess will not be shipped back to the US.

Why do they need price protection? To maintain the profit levels necessary to pay for the development of new meds - and the costs of mistakes. All of us taking meds to control cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, blood thinning, etc. are beneficiaries of the investments made by Big Pharma.

If their prices/profits are so far out of line, why are the stock prices of Pfizer, Glaxo, etc. lower now (with stock averages at record levels) than in 2000?

Sure, cheap meds are desirable - but destroying the system that creates meds in the first place is not the answer. Like it or not, the profit motive is what ultimately improves life by incentivizing development.

Better to subsidize the consumers of meds than to penalize (and ultimately destroy) the creators of meds.-

It is not better for U.S. consumers to subsidize the consumers of meds in other countries. We would not be having this discussion if the price of a drug in Canada or Mexico were similar rather than significantly cheaper than the cost of the same drug in the U. S.

It is not better for U.S. consumers to subsidize the consumers of meds in other countries. We would not be having this discussion if the price of a drug in Canada or Mexico were similar rather than significantly cheaper than the cost of the same drug in the U. S.

So you think Canada and Mexico should subsidize the USA ?

Your kidding, right ?

We pay high prices for our drugs as it stands now. If it's lower than yours that is your problem not Canada's and Mexico's.

Now you will say that the USA companies are doing the R&D.

Well news for you Canada makes many many drugs and create many many drugs

No matter what the product, I will always opt to purchase in my local communityl. When I vbuy at my locla pharmacy, it prvides job and htey spend their salary in the local dry cleaner and or restraurant... Keep the money local when possible l is my motto. They can rent an apartment, buy a house......... live in the community they chose if they have a job.

It is not better for U.S. consumers to subsidize the consumers of meds in other countries. We would not be having this discussion if the price of a drug in Canada or Mexico were similar rather than significantly cheaper than the cost of the same drug in the U. S

So you think Canada and Mexico should subsidize the USA ?

Your kidding, right ? .

Le's flip your question around. Should U.S. CONSUMERS subsidize the consumers of meds in mex ico and Canada? iF SO, WHY

ONly drugs developed by U.S. big pharma companies? What about all those drugs developed by Mexican and Canadaian Big Pharama compan ies? Who should get the discount price on them?

I m grateful to the pharam A companmies who develop all thosE life saving AND LIFWE IMPROVING MEDICATIONS thaT benefit people worldwide. Where would we all be without them?

Edited by sail7seas

Le's flip your question around. Should U.S. CONSUMERS subsidize the consumers of meds in mex ico and Canada? iF SO, WHY

ONly drugs developed by U.S. big pharma companies? What about all those drugs developed by Mexican and Canadaian Big Pharama compan ies? Who should get the discount price on them?

That is not what I am saying. I am responding to someone saying that Canada and Mexico should put their prices up to match the USA prices so the USA companies can get a better return on their investment

I do agree totally with your comment of buy local but I live in both countries and feel it is better for me to help a poorer country :D:D

Check. What about medications developed by pharma companies in Canada and Mexico? Who should e paying for theI r R & D? how about Itgaly, India and Switzerland? They all developed? Is iit the he burden of U.S to pay for all ghe pharfma R & ? Seems some think so.

Hi

One aspect of this discussion to consider is that most countries have a universal coverage or socialized medical program in place. A component of this is to keep costs in check. This includes drug prices. So governments around the world negotiate with drug companies on prices. This doesn't mean these drug companies can't make obscene amounts of money, it does mean there is someone looking out for the consumer.

I just don't see it as "U.S. consumers subsidizing the cost of drugs" in other countries. Costs of everything are different are dependent on where you live. That is why we can buy things here in North America made by people half way around the world for less than it would cost us to mail it there. People/countries make choices on the direction of how to deal with services that are in the best interest of all their citizens and put systems in place that protect these citizens. The people of the U.S. have the same options. As far as I understand the U.S. is currently formulating its' future health care direction, this would be an opportunity to express your feelings to your elected representatives in that regard.

I take it you don't live in an area serviced by Poland Spring?

Can't find this stuff all over the USA but it's great

Now that horrendous Zepheryliss (sp) bottled garbage in Florida or Dasani yuck

Better off drinking river water

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree 100%. Our well water in Maine comes from Poland Springs Aquifer which is underneath our property. Our own liquid gold!

• 4 years later...
23 minutes ago, CBrubaker12 said:

I know this thread is pretty old.  For the original question, does anyone know if Costa Maya has a pharmacy in the Port Shops?  Thanks

I don’t remember noticing one in Costa Maya, but there’s definitely some bars and liquor shops there. But then I wasn’t looking for one when I was there, I’d also distrust any current listings for port shops as there were quite a few closed/empty units in the port shopping areas when I sailed on Epic a couple of weeks ago. Obviously some probably went out of business and others just aren’t back in operation yet. 

1 hour ago, CBrubaker12 said:

I know this thread is pretty old.  For the original question, does anyone know if Costa Maya has a pharmacy in the Port Shops?  Thanks

It's better to just start a new thread instead of bumping ones this old which very often have outdated info.

Thanks!  🙂

• Like 1

Just a WAG, but if you Google "pharmacy near ________ cruise port" you'll likely find a few pharmacies within a short taxi ride or walk. I don't think there's one in the port shops in CM

Edited by mom says

Just now, mom says said:

Just a WAG, but if you Google "pharmacy near ________ cruise port" you'll likely find a few pharmacies within a short taxi ride or walk.

Nope.. that failed miserably for me a couple of weeks back because shops that have gone out of business were showing on google maps. Bloody jellyfish stings and I left my Benadryl lotion behind on the excursion boat and couldn’t find it in any of the port shops at the 2 subsequent ports despite google trying to convince me there were pharmacies there. In addition to the places out of business google was also giving back results which were actually just corner shop type places that happened to stock those mini-packs of grocery store meds. 

58 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Nope.. that failed miserably for me a couple of weeks back because shops that have gone out of business were showing on google maps. Bloody jellyfish stings and I left my Benadryl lotion behind on the excursion boat and couldn’t find it in any of the port shops at the 2 subsequent ports despite google trying to convince me there were pharmacies there. In addition to the places out of business google was also giving back results which were actually just corner shop type places that happened to stock those mini-packs of grocery store meds. 

To be honest, I think Costa Maya (really Mahahual)  is the worst cruise port possible in Mexico and I am sure is up there in a global competition as well.  This ranking includes shopping and services.  Heck, Mahahaul doesn't even have an OXXO store which is one litumus test as to the whether or not a place is "truly on the map" in Mexico.

BTW - my assumption is that you left the "tourist pen" and actually looked for something in Mahahual.  

Edited by SelectSys