Long shore excursion - no meal

mariners

We have booked a 7 hour shore excursion. I am presuming that there is no meal included as there is no icon for dining and there is no mention of food in the description of the excursion. What is the typical, if there is one, scenario for longer shore excursions that don't include a meal through Oceania? Do passengers take something from the ship? Do they purchase a "sealed" snack and take it with them? or ?

The excursion is from the port, Argostoli (Cephalonia), Greece, and is called Cephalonia Highlights. It is listed as lasting 7 hours and leaves the ship at 10:15 am.

Thank you for your suggestion to provide additional details on the excursion.

The excursion is from the port, Argostoli (Cephalonia), Greece, and is called Cephalonia Highlights. It is listed as lasting 7 hours and leaves the ship at 10:15 am.

I see what you mean - no mention of lunch.

Perhaps it is on our own during your free time in Fiskardo - but they do not say that either.

I would hope that the shorex team onboard will have an explanation for this before you leave on the tour.

PS I would find a good place for gyros :D

Edited by Paulchili

seems odd it does not include food

there should be some free time so you can find time for lunch

I would not do a tour for that long if you are so regimented & no time to get food

I would ask before booking it

Normally you cannot take food off the ship

Thank you for all of the answers.

I thought that Oceania might often run long tours that did not include a meal/snack, and that I'd be able to tell our friends the information before we board the ship. As this is my first time on the cruise line, I'm still "learning the ropes", and I've gained lots of information from CC posters.

Paulchili, gyros would definitely be on our menu.

LHT28, although my family will have no issue with not having a meal/snack for seven hours, we are travelling with someone who would have an issue if this is the scenario. Hopefully, the shore excursion personnel on Oceania will be able to accurately clarify what to expect on the excursion.

For me, my main concern is that there will be enough water on tours for all of us to remain hydrated. Yes, we will take water with us from the ship but, given the temperatures currently predicted for ports on the cruise, I'm hoping that there will be additional water available.

On one of the excursions we took last year, there was no formal meal, but the guide recommended a favorite bakery to pick up a snack. I prefer the option to pick up something quick during free time to a formal meal most of the time. The exception was on Patmos as the waiters also danced for 7s and offered those of us brave enough to come up and learn a dance.

I would bet you will be shown where to get something to eat during free time/break. But to eliminate worry ask your travel agent or O if you booked direct. On the subject of bringing food off the ship .... that is a no-no. Most local regulations prohibit it.

For me, my main concern is that there will be enough water on tours for all of us to remain hydrated. Yes, we will take water with us from the ship but, given the temperatures currently predicted for ports on the cruise, I'm hoping that there will be additional water available.

Water is available (free) as you disembark. Take a couple of bottles (or more).

Sometimes tour buses have water available but one cannot count on that.

We were on this tour last Nov. included is a town at the north end of the island where there was time for a walk around and LATE lunch on your own. Problem was that we were there on a Sunday and half the restaurants were closed, a grocery store was open- also could be due to Nov. is late in their tourist season.

We were on this tour last Nov. included is a town at the north end of the island where there was time for a walk around and LATE lunch on your own. Problem was that we were there on a Sunday and half the restaurants were closed, a grocery store was open- also could be due to Nov. is late in their tourist season.

I was hoping that someone who did this tour would let OP know.

I would bet you will be shown where to get something to eat during free time/break. But to eliminate worry ask your travel agent or O if you booked direct. On the subject of bringing food off the ship .... that is a no-no. Most local regulations prohibit it.

Please post what regulations from OCEANIA prohibit taking food off the ship. Not sure about most countries, most allow and do not care. I am sure there are some countries but we always carry a small collapsed cooler bag for our water and if no lunch provided, a bagil with cream cheese.

Who knows, who cares, if you need food, take it with you.

Happy Cruising

Please post what regulations from OCEANIA prohibit taking food off the ship. Not sure about most countries, most allow and do not care. I am sure there are some countries but we always carry a small collapsed cooler bag for our water and if no lunch provided, a bagil with cream cheese.

Happy Cruising

Many Countries prohibit food to be taken ashore & in some they have heavy fines

Maybe you have just been lucky & not been caught yet

Happy Cruising

Ever been to New Zealand? Australia?

The daily sheet on board will let you know where you can't take food off the ship. That will be your best guide on the local regulations.

Thanks so much for all of the general input. Thank you, also, for the descriptions of what has occurred on your shore excursions on Oceania.

arima22, I thought the stop at the village might be a time when one could get a snack. As our tour seems to have similar timing to your tour, it would definitely be late as it is the last stop before going back to the ship.

As our group is meeting in Rome before the cruise, we will have lots of time to figure out what works out best for everyone.

Grazie