How does Chops work?

Let me start off by saying that although we've cruised a few times before, this whole specialty dining thing is new to us. We LOVE the main dining room, trying all kinds of things, ordering multiple appetizers, entrees, or desserts when we can't decide, meeting other cruisers, etc.

Now people tell us that we MUST take a night during the cruise to get away from the kids and go to a nice romantic dinner at the steak house. On our upcoming Adventure cruise, Chops is $42. Then I see the menu has no prices listed except for a couple of steaks and a lobster listed as "something special."

My question is, what am I getting for that $42? Can I order multiple items, either in the appetizer, entree, or dessert categories? Are those "something special" items in addition to the price I've already paid? An of course, I assume drinks are extra, right?

Bottom line, if we really enjoy the MDR (and have already in essence paid for our meal there), why would I spend so much more to go to Chops? What am I missing?

Thanks!

The base price gives you multiple starters/apps/desserts and one non-premium entree. If you want another non-premium entree, they charge you $10. If you want a premium entree, you pay the listed price.

L

My question is, what am I getting for that $42?

Thanks!

It's $42 now? When I first did Chops in 2008, it was $25 and that was supposed to be a gratuity for the wait staff.. I've paid as much as $35 recently, but they may be reaching my borderline as to worth it or not. We usually go to Chops on our Anniversary. Off to check what the fee is for Jewel next year. <-still $35 on Jewel .

I agree with Molly. If you enjoy the MDR, stick with it. Depending on the age of your kids, they could go to Kid's Club one evening for dinner and you can have your romantic meal in the MDR.

With that said, I enjoy the specialty restaurants but would not pay $42 pp for Chops. Check to see if your cruise planner is offering First Night Done Right, which is more like $15 pp. That is a good way to explore dining choices.

check ur cruise planner, maybe u would interested in a no go, a lot cheaper. I got it for $60 for two people,for the first two nites

Royal really is trying to kill traditional dining. I'm getting used to having guests not show up at our table on night 1, but requiring you to go to specialty on night 1 and 2 is really showing its about the paid options these days.

Royal really is trying to kill traditional dining. I'm getting used to having guests not show up at our table on night 1, but requiring you to go to specialty on night 1 and 2 is really showing its about the paid options these days.

A lot people think and say this, but think about it - how many people, even if Chops (or other venue) is full and turned over 3 times/night, would dine there? Maybe 10-20% of the ship - like the MDR on Quantum class, the physics of the venues have limitations.

Biker, who thinks that traditional dining has a much better chance to be killed by ideas like DD, than specialty dining.

Biker, who thinks that traditional dining has a much better chance to be killed by ideas like DD, than specialty dining.

The theory is that traditional dining will be replaced with a nice buffet for the 80% of the passengers who don't want to pay extra. Additional specialty restaurants for those who are willing to pay extra for an upscale experience.

As for Chops, we always go and I don't know why. For the price, the service is as disappointing as the food quality. Chops, ten years ago was a special, if not memorable experience, but not today. The service in the MDR is more often better.

By the way, steaks from Chops can be ordered in the MDR.

Burt

you certainly do not have to get away from the kids but if they are anything like mine and my nieces, they LOVED the kids club and couldn't wait to leave us most nights. I figured it's just as much their vacation as mine so I let them sacrifice a few dinners with family and they ate with the kids club while we ate at a specialty restaurant (saved me money, as well)

The base price gives you multiple starters/apps/desserts and one non-premium entree. If you want another non-premium entree, they charge you $10. If you want a premium entree, you pay the listed price.

I had no idea you could order multiples, I've already been eying up the menus and having trouble deciding on which apps I want..this is great news to know though I always feel like I'm getting silently judged for ordering more than one ;)

I had no idea you could order multiples, I've already been eying up the menus and having trouble deciding on which apps I want..this is great news to know though I always feel like I'm getting silently judged for ordering more than one ;)

You should take a look at Tim & Courtney's Chops dinner photos in this review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518594

It is pricey but to its worth the change. The food is better imho like going to a very nice steakhouse. You pay the fee then u order all u want. Appetizers, salads, main entree, dessert. U will be so full before dessert that u will have to find room ..[emoji12]to me mdr does ok but steak first night I had strip so tough, prime rib was good and another night they only had same steak and boring pasta dishes. To me it was fine in mdr but nothing exciting or different.

The only extra charge at choppes is the lobster which I heard was amazing. But u can do that at mdr on formal night for no cost and that was good

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is pricey but its worth the charge.

The only extra charge at Chops is the lobster which I heard was amazing. But you can do that at MDR on formal night for no cost and that was good.

So the steak is worth the extra charge but the lobster is not, got it.:rolleyes:

Mass produced vs. Made to order. HUGE difference!!!!

If you're not a foodie and think the MDR meals are excellent...then save your money. We do the pay restaurants at least 3 times per sailing because we think there's a big difference.

IThe only extra charge at choppes is the lobster which I heard was amazing. But u can do that at mdr on formal night for no cost and that was good

There is an up-charge for dry aged steaks. NY Strip is $18 more, Porterhouse is $19 more, and Maine lobster $21. I think the lobster in the MDR is warm water lobster. You can tell the difference by the yellow spots on the tail fins on warm water lobster. Some like it better.

I did the BOGO on our last cruise on the first leg. It was certainly cheaper but I wouldn't pay the full price to go. I didn't think it was that better than the MDR. They were aggressively hawking the specialty dinners to the point of bothering us at the bars trying to sell them multiple times.

On our next cruise on X, I might try a couple of the specialties.

The only extra charge at choppes is the lobster...

Our Chops menu shows upcharges for the following:

Dry Aged NY Strip Steak 16 Oz. $18

Dry-Aged Porterhouse Steak 20 Oz. $19

Roasted 1 ¼-1 ½ Lbs. Maine Lobster $21

No ribeye on the menu, and a porterhouse ending up costing me over $60? I'm out.

We go to Chops on our anniversary. We take into account that we have to pay and the price has gone up from previous times we went. We just like the atmosphere on our anniversary night versus the hustle and bustle of the MDR. Everything does not have to be 5 star quality for us to enjoy it. It is not as bad as people make it out to be. We like the MDR also but we do a couple of specialties every cruise just to do something different. It's you vacation........ Eat wherever you want to eat and if you don't like a particular place you will know the next time you cruise! :cool:

Let me start off by saying that although we've cruised a few times before, this whole specialty dining thing is new to us. We LOVE the main dining room, trying all kinds of things, ordering multiple appetizers, entrees, or desserts when we can't decide, meeting other cruisers, etc.

Now people tell us that we MUST take a night during the cruise to get away from the kids and go to a nice romantic dinner at the steak house. On our upcoming Adventure cruise, Chops is $42. Then I see the menu has no prices listed except for a couple of steaks and a lobster listed as "something special."

My question is, what am I getting for that $42? Can I order multiple items, either in the appetizer, entree, or dessert categories? Are those "something special" items in addition to the price I've already paid? An of course, I assume drinks are extra, right?

Bottom line, if we really enjoy the MDR (and have already in essence paid for our meal there), why would I spend so much more to go to Chops? What am I missing?

Thanks!

We booked chops on the freedom got a deal for 25 dollar pp?', yes the filet steak was fabulous it really was but like yourself I find the MDR to be extremely lovely also so to be honest if I was going again I wouldn't book it. And then if you want lobster or a bigger steak there is another additional cost.

This is so very personal and subjective. Everyone has an opinion and it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks you "MUST do"... do what you want.

And my personal opinion is that Chops is too expensive an service charge for us and our most recent experience there was not stellar. My steak was absolutely awful. But, many people love Chops and will go every night to a specialty restaurant, paying the service charge each evening. Their choice.