Live from the Miracle, a July Mexican Riviera Adventure!

Steelers0854

Day 2, Day at Sea

Always sleep great at sea, its the best part of cruising. We woke up about 7 and got out on deck about 7:30. Not really a soul in sight at that time except for a few stray walkers and almost no one in the gym. The weather was a little gloomy and cool, but comfortable for an early morning run so we did laps around deck 10 and enjoyed the beautiful weather. As we got closer to 8 people started to stir, the buffet started to fill up and the gym slowly started to fill as well. Finished my run and headed into the gym for some weight lifting but it was packed to the gills and not worth the effort in trying to find an open area so I called it quits around 8:30. At this time the chair hogs were out in full force, no one in and around the pool but magically towels were everywhere!

We headed to the room to get ready, still mo sign of our room steward so after we finished getting ready we called him on the phone. No mind you our other family members had not only met theirs the first day but he also offered to come in a 3rd time during the day just to change out towels. So we called and he answered almost immediately, apologized for missing us the first day and said he would come right over to the cabin to say hello. He did and we asked him for twice a day service and a bucket of ice. Im hopeful that this was just a small bump int he road and he and his assistant seemed great so I think we are in good hands.

Of course we needed to eat at this point and made our way to the dining room for brunch. We were seated with 2 other couples and placed our orders, I had the huevos ranchers and DW ordered an omelette and has browns. The huevos rancheros were excellent and they also had a fantastic basket of pastries in the middle of each table, another win!

Unfortunately, this is where the service problems seem to continue. One of the guys at our table ordered a blood Mary, not only did he not get it til we finished breakfast it he had to remind the waiter 2 times to bring it. Components of people’s orders were missing or just wrong. It's disappointing but I think I am seeing a trend here on board. The service issues continued in the bar as well. I have been to 3 different locations and none of them had an engaging, or even just plain pleasant bartender. I love to sit and at a bar and have a great bartender to engage with. Most are multitasking masters and it makes for an enjoyable experience. Not here, 4 different bartenders at 3 different locations and all lack a sense of urgency and personality. It's too bad. And Im not sure if the cheers program has anything to do with it, and they are basically drink assembly lines? But Im hoping that as we progress in the week things will improve on the service front.

We enjoyed some time by the pool in the late morning and early afternoon. The pools were busy but I wouldn't say they were packed. Lots of kids playing and adults around the pool. Nothing crazy, just families being families. I really do wish that a cruiseline could fix the chair hog problem. We saw a group of 4 teenage girls drop their bags on 4 chairs and not show back up again the 3 hours we were there before leaving. It's really unfair to the other passengers trying to enjoy some time by the pool. I really liked that one pool had the DJ booth and was where a lot of the party atmosphere was. You could pop over get your dance on and go to the forward pool and have a calmer climate. Surprisingly enough, you can barely hear the music from one pool to the other. This was a great setup.

We had lunch on the lido deck and today's selections weren't as awesome as yesterdays. I do really like the way the buffet is laid out. Distinctly separate stations that are scattered around make it much easier to navigate and gives a less crowded feel. I think there are quite a few seats in the buffet area, but unfortunately getting a seat was rather difficult a lot of the time. DW continues to gravitate towards the soft serve machine and today’s strawberry flavor is a massive hit amongst the family.

We puttered around the ship more in the afternoon, jumped into a few trivia games and took the nieces to a cat int he hat show. I found the sushi place and was so excited since i had read about it prior to boarding only to be disappointed that it was not free. Guess I should have done better homework! I mean the prices were reasonable, but with so many free places I wasnt going to pay for the chance at disappointment. So we headed back to the room and took a much deserved nap!

Tonight dinner is in the steakhouse and we both cant wait. We have dined in the Crown Grill on Princess and felt that it wasnt close to a Morton’s or Ruth’s Chris so we are hoping based on reviews that the steakhouse here is better.

We got to the steakhouse about 5:45 because we wanted to try and make the 7:30 show. The restaurant was fairly empty and stayed that way throughout our meal. We were seated along the window with the setting sun so the shades were drawn but it was still very warm, just take note if you are sensitive to the temperature. While nothing explicitly said it on the menus they do enforce the limits on appetizers and mains, 2 appetizers (or an appetizer and soup/salad) and 1 main course, which was really more than enough.

The bread course is another winner with a rosemary focaccia or buttery brioche both of which were delicious on their own but then they bring out a trio of butter, tomato bruschetta and what was either an olive or eggplant tapenade. The tomato bruschetta was life changing it was so good. I am a huge escargot fan and these didnt disappoint. They had 3 different preparations and it was quite good. Princess still wins here because they offer it in the MDR on one of the formal nights and theirs is drenched in buttery garlicky goodness. DW loves French onion soup and she said theirs was top notch, and a large portion to boot. The shrimp cocktail featured 4 large shrimp and some screaming hot cocktail sauce. The crab cakes were also amazing, wait a minute I said cakes, and I am pretty sure the menu did too, but they only give you 1! Eh anyway, there 1 they did give me was excellent!

I would like to note that this is the best service we have received thus far while on board. The waitress and her assistant were just awesome.

Now the true test of a good steakhouse is their ability to correctly cook a steak. I use this as my litmus test everywhere I go. Unfortunately, this one didnt pass. I like my steak a solid medium, I can tolerate if it drifts close to medium rare, but its not my cup of tea. The one that came out was closer to rare with a cool pink center and I just couldnt do it. I could tell when I cut into it because it had no body, it just totally gave way. Which was too bad because the turf portion of my surf and turf (5 ounce lobster tail and 4 ounce filet) looked perfect. They apologized and wished it back tot he kitchen. I did have my sides to try so I sampled the wasabi and horseradish mashed potatoes and the mushrooms. OMG, these mashed potatoes were stuff to write home about. I was concerned seeing wasabi horseradish on the menu but these were so full of flavor and absent all but the slightest amount of heat. Perfectly creamy and smooth, I seriously could have just eaten that for dinner, and I almost had too! Whether out of food safety concerns or just doing hat was right, they remade my steak from scratch so it took a little time. Meanwhile DW was making her way through her 9 ounce filet which she, even surprising herself, finished in its entirety without a drop of steak sauce. A word of warning for those that like creamed spinach. Theirs leaves a lot to be desired. They basically cooked down some spinach and dumped a cream sauce on it, sorry a fail. So it took about 10 minutes and the manager brought out my steak and apologized and made sure the second go around was perfect, and it was a perfectly cooked medium. She apologized again and brought over 2 complimentary glasses of champagne. Also another win for service, with my new steak and lobster tail were 2 freshly made sides, a home run when it comes to dealing with an issue like this during service. A few minutes later out walked the sous chef to apologize and ensure everything was cooked as ordered.

So we finished dinner and moved to dessert. I grabbed a caramelized apple tarts and DW picked up the coffee ice cream. Both were good. We saw a GIANT piece of cheesecake walk by and both agreed that appeared to be the best option!

The only negative that we saw was towards the end of dinner for some reason they let a magician in the restaurant. He was going from table to table talking to them and doing magic tricks. Sorry, but when I go to a nice restaurant for dinner I really don't want to be bothered by a roaming magician, even if he is really good. But just my 2 cents, others may disagree.

So in the end was it worth it? I believe it is. Remember the $35 does include gratuity (even though our service was so good we did leave an extra amount) and I feel that the offerings were as good if not better than Ruth’s Chris even if it wasn't the same cut of meat.

We finished in enough time to head tot he show which was a good variety act of 70’s music and dancing. It was typical cruise fare and was good enough. We walked around deck a little afterwards and called it a night. I swear one of these nights I am going to make it to the piano bar and comedy show, but just not tonight.

Deck 2 by the sports bar. It's a small stand, kinda like a hot dog cart.

That's normally the Taste Bar. Usually they'll have some sort of drink there to go with the free food.

Could you post a pic if you see it another time?

Thanks

So seriously the best tacos ever were at Taco Guss. Do yourself a favor and find this place which is just behind Cabo Wabo. The El Pastor tacos are amazing. Can't beat the Carne Asada either. They bring a cool little tray to your table with lots of goodies. And unlimited chips salsa and guacamole. Home run!!!

7e8402da839e9fad9320d5e714be4bba.jpg

a5d1dac4e802806b2b7ba3c64461c5ce.jpg

627043446bb8617a2e618cc0992f3aaa.jpg

027f7a0b60fe88b11396542ed9ffa99c.jpg

So seriously the best tacos ever were at Taco Guss. Do yourself a favor and find this place which is just behind Cabo Wabo. The El Pastor tacos are amazing. Can't beat the Carne Asada either. They bring a cool little tray to your table with lots of goodies. And unlimited chips salsa and guacamole. Home run!!!

7e8402da839e9fad9320d5e714be4bba.jpg

a5d1dac4e802806b2b7ba3c64461c5ce.jpg

627043446bb8617a2e618cc0992f3aaa.jpg

027f7a0b60fe88b11396542ed9ffa99c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's brand new (wasn't there in May). Is it everyday or roasted with the Taste Bar?

Thanks for the info.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's brand new (wasn't there in May). Is it everyday or roasted with the Taste Bar?

Thanks for the info.

Enjoy your cruise.

It has been here everyday thus far and looks to me to be permanent. I'll try and ask about the tastes bar and find out.

Thanks for the info.

Enjoy your cruise.

OMG we sailed on June 24 and there was NO sushi bar - it was the taste bar. I'm kind of bummed!!! :loudcry:

So seriously the best tacos ever were at Taco Guss. Do yourself a favor and find this place which is just behind Cabo Wabo. The El Pastor tacos are amazing. Can't beat the Carne Asada either. They bring a cool little tray to your table with lots of goodies. And unlimited chips salsa and guacamole. Home run!

Love Tacos Gus. Found it several years ago, it's our first stop in Cabo. Get a large asada quesadilla for the table to share. Good stuff. Good pineapple Agua Fresca too.

Glad to see the sushi bar back. Hope the taste bar is still there somewhere.

Enjoying your expectations of the cruise, take it as it comes.

I believe NCL includes it and Carnival doesn't. I've always had trouble keeping those straight.

Mike

Bridgeport, WV

Diamond/Platinum/FTTF all have Priority tender TO port. Getting back, you're on your own.

Diamond/Platinum/FTTF all have Priority tender TO port. Getting back, you're on your own.

Makes sense. Been a while since Carnival for me. Plus last time we only went to Nassau and Freeport so no tenders or anything. Thanks for the info!

Mike

Bridgeport, WV

Day 3 Cabo San Lucas Day 1

We found out that there were about 2800 passengers on our sailing, which they said was actually kind of low. The ship really doesnt feel crowded with the exception of the pool deck, but even then its really not bad at all.

In our stateroom was an instruction sheet that said to meet in the Alchemy Bar between 9:30-11 to get our priority tender ashore. They said they will offer priority tendering until there is no one left in line waiting to go ashore then its first come first served. Also of note we originally were told there would only be priority tenders for the first day at Cabo, but this note listed both days, so yay for us!

But since our family didnt have it we decided to just wait and leave with them. We got group 9 and tendering started around 9:30am. We were called about 10:30am and left the boat by 10:45. I am still kicking myself for not thinking fast enough on me feet. while we were in line 2 older aides walked up and said they wanted to know if anyone wanted to sell their numbers to them, they had number 23. I, of course, said sure but it would cost them, jokingly. She started at $3 and I got her up to 2 for $20 which was below my asking price of $20 each. They walked away and then it occurred to me I could have just sold ours for $20 and gone and got our priority tender passes since it was so early, oh well out an extra $20! Lol. The tender trip was a short very easy ride to the dock via a tender service from the shore. Nice open air boats provided a beautiful view of Cabo as we arrived. We hopped on a taxi and took it to downtown to do a little walking around and some shopping. We were hungry so decided to try a place that I had read about from others on the forums called Taco Guss (pronounced Goose). As I had said in a previous post, these tacos were amazing.

After lunch we walked around and stopped into Cabo Wabo. I can imagine this place is crazy at night, but they only had the patio open during the day and there were quite a few people there. Interestingly enough we met more people staying in resorts in the area then from the ship. We did some more walking around and made some obligatory purchases of knick knacks but that was about it. The heat today was seriously oppressive. No breeze, high humidity and high temps made it miserable out. The locals all said it was the hottest day they have had this summer so far. So we headed back to the ship to have some pool time.

The pool deck was relatively empty with a few families and it was nice to enjoy the pools onboard without the masses. We took down some adult beverages and relaxed until it was time to get ready for dinner.

On our way to the cabin though we stopped but the spa. As a group we didnt want to do anything big in Cabo on Day 2 so DW and I wanted to see if we could grab a deal at the spa. We were able to both get a 75 minute treatment that included a full body exfoliation, a hot stone or bamboo full body massage, foot and ankle massage and scalp massage for $129 each, so we jumped on it and scheduled it for 7:45am.

We made a stop at the Alchemy Bar on our way to dinner. I can see why this is a favorite spot for most folks. I loved the decor and the drinks are a show in and of themselves. Make sure when you place your order you can see the bartender because they are very talented people. My Remedy was good but DSIL’s 40 is the new something was delicious.

We arrived right when the dining room opened as we wanted to get to a 7:30 show. Unfortunately, dinner started off with the same rough service as he had the previous days. 25 minutes into dinner and no bread or signs of appetizers, and others that were seated at the same time and ordered at the same time in the section next to us were already finishing their appetizers. With no sign of the waiter I walked and asked one of the hostesses if she could send the head waiter over. Apparently there is a terminology difference between the lines because on Princess the head waiter oversees the section and is different than you waiter and junior or assistant waiter. Either way our waiter came over and was asked if we could have some bread while we waited and he apologized and quickly brought a basket over. The rest of the service was excellent from that point on.

The port of call dinner item was a coffee and cacao crusted pork tenderloin with Swiss chard and sweet potato purée. It was excellent, good rich flavors you would expect, but a little over cooked, which is really to be expected when serving the dish in mass. Also ordered at the table was a breaded and fried portobello mushroom dish that DSIL raved about and wanted to order a second portion of but decided against it opting for the chocolate melting cake instead. The flank steak also received excellent reviews. So before coming on this cruise I thought the chocolate melting cake was a one and done menu item but it is actually on every nights menu.

I can also confirm that the menus are available in the app for every day of the cruise so you can easily check them out each day. I apologize in advance my documenting the menus each night has not gone well and after the first night was all down hill from there. I will do my best to try and get the remaining menus for the cruise.

After dinner we walked around for a bit and headed to the Clue game show in the theater. I was surprised but this is actually a week long event with the last day them announcing who the murderer was. So the show was just ok. Then we were off to the comedy show. Lowell Sanders was the comedian and he was really funny especially for a PG show, I am hoping to get to one of his 18+ shows later in the week. I would highly recommend seeing him.

Since we had spa treatments for “early” the next morning we called it a night after the comedy show and headed to bed.

On a continued side note, ever since the second day of the cruise our cabin steward has been great.

Day 4 Cabo San Lucas Day 2

So the night before we placed the breakfast order on the door so we could have a quick bite in the morning before heading to the spa. DW really wanted a half grapefruit so I wrote it in figuring that they could probably manage it since they served it everywhere else on the sip for breakfast. We marked a time of 7-7:30 for delivery. We had set an alarm for 6:55 to be up in time. We were woken up by a knock at the door at 6:45 and it was breakfast. He apologized as soon as we opened the door and said he was there early but it wasnt a big deal. He also said that they could not bring the half a grapefruit, oh well, no biggie.

So we were off to get our massages. We typically get some kind of a massage on cruises. I know they are more expensive then on land, but I love it as part of my vacation and some of the best massages I have had done have been on a ship. So we showed up and filled out our paperwork and headed in for our treatments. The massage was great, and for the price I felt that it was even better. The only downside is the location of the spa. So whoever decided to locate the spa directly below the running deck on deck 10 needs to be fired. I was sitting there relaxing and about halfway through my massage I thought the room was coming down and I would have to catch whoever fell through. Yea, it was that loud! Fortunately for me the guy was on a slow interval and it took a few for him to make his lap before he was back again. So this kind of put a damper on the treatment, but oh well not much I can do about it.

After we were all oiled up we made our way to the buffet to grab some real breakfast, because you know just a bagel for breakfast on a cruise is never enough! We ran into the other family members there and decided to plan our day. DW had wanted to look for some jewelry but we never found anywhere the day before so we wanted to jump back over for a bit to look around since we had a chance to preplan and find some locations. So the family was game and after a quick shower we headed a shore. It was about 10am at this point and there was 0 wait for a tender, we walked right on board. From here we took a cab and walked around the shops for a bit and DW found a ring she liked and we picked it up. We then headed to the Library on the beach for lunch as it was recommended by a local. We were warned about it being more expensive that our favorite from yesterday but she said they have great seafood and thats what we were after. So we jumped on another cab and headed to the beach. This place was great, right on the beach, tables and chairs in the sand and a beautiful view of the beach and ship. We ordered and the service was excellent. We did some damage here but we got 2 orders of coconut shrimp, chips and guac, beers, bottles of water and entree’s and it ran about $200 with tip, so yeaaaaaa a little pricey! But your paying for the view and literally being in the center of tourist town Mexico, we didnt expect to get out cheap. But the food was excellent and so was the service so not much to complain about here.

We then headed back to the ship and decided to relax a little before dinner. Gish I feel like all our plans revolve around meals!