Am I nuts to consider Adventure over Anthem?

I was just on Anthem two months ago, and will be on it for 3 cruises between October and January (mostly a matter of convenience since I live 40 minutes from the port). I would, in a heartbeat, move to another ship if it were leaving from the same port. Of all the ships I've been on, the Anthem is my very least favorite ship. It's better than nothing. But it's still my least favorite. I haven't been on the Voyager class yet -- will be on Explorer in September.

I was just on Anthem two months ago, and will be on it for 3 cruises between October and January (mostly a matter of convenience since I live 40 minutes from the port). I would, in a heartbeat, move to another ship if it were leaving from the same port. Of all the ships I've been on, the Anthem is my very least favorite ship. It's better than nothing. But it's still my least favorite. I haven't been on the Voyager class yet -- will be on Explorer in September.

You're fortunate to be getting Adventure next year. We will miss her in San Juan.

Adventure is a great ship and if I like(d) the price/ports of call, I would book it all day long.

It's (1) big enough to get turned around and (2) small enough to quickly make up for (1).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I bet you'll really enjoy the Explorer. I absolutely loved sailing on her and wish she still called Cape Liberty home.

Explorer was the first RCI ship that we cruised on. It got me hooked on RCI and will always be a special ship to me.

Explorer was the first RCI ship that we cruised on. It got me hooked on RCI and will always be a special ship to me.

Same for me! It's actually the ONLY cruise ship I've sailed on (3x), so I can't compare different ships. But I loved it and have some really great memories of those cruises. :)

Anthem is the largest ship I have sailed. It was wonderful last October. Now I am about to sail on Enchantment and I am wondering if I will make the mistake of comparing apples and oranges. I hope not.

I would encourage you to resist comparing ships.

The different classes do different things- some are small but get into more ports, some are massively huge so that the are the focus on the cruise.

The breadth of choices means that everyone can meet their preferences. So some prefer the Adventure to the Anthem, which is ok.

But I like them both, equally, given what we book each ship for.

I would rarely book the Oasis or Anthem for a port intensive trip, just like it's less likely that I would book a Vision ship for a long reposition cruise. They all serve a purpose.

I agree, you are not crazy at all. I think Adventure is superior in may ways! Better itineraries in my opinion. You can also go to Puerto Rico (right now anyway, before it changes to a different homeport) and spend some time there, which I highly recommend, before or after the cruise. It has water slides if you have kids, it really is a beautiful ship with plenty to do!

To be honest, you can't go wrong either way, a cruise on Royal Caribbean is an amazing thing, but I would say you should definitely check out Adventure, especially if the price is better!

Soooo, jwick, which way are you leaning? Or are you now even more confused? :) Best part is that you can't go wrong either way!

Hey, skid10! I'm leaning towards the Adventure. I'm sure they're both wonderful, but I just don't love the gigantic size of the Anthem.

Based on when I could cruise, my option is the 7 night Bahamas itinerary. This would be new to my husband and me.

Any experience with that one?

Eastern Caribbean would be higher on my list, and Southern Caribbean would mean Anthem.

Sooo much to consider!!! :)

Hey, skid10! I'm leaning towards the Adventure. I'm sure they're both wonderful, but I just don't love the gigantic size of the Anthem.

Based on when I could cruise, my option is the 7 night Bahamas itinerary. This would be new to my husband and me.

Any experience with that one?

Eastern Caribbean would be higher on my list, and Southern Caribbean would mean Anthem.

Sooo much to consider!!! :)

Wife and I did the 12 night Southern Caribbean on Anthem in 2016. A lot of ports and a lot of fun. Then we did a 7 night on Adventure out of Puerto Rico last May. Not sure if they called that Southern or what (included Aruba and Curacao). Discounting the fact that 12 nights and better entertainment should take the prize, we actually enjoyed Adventure more. They do such fun things on the Promenade and according to my wife, the shopping is better! And (I didn't forget your actual question) we have never been to the Bahamas. So booking Adventure again for that itinerary was a no brainer.

As I said before, you will win either way. It sounds to me like you will need a vacation from planning your vacation! Let us know what you decide.

jwick-Quick reminder, if by some chance you didn't realize it: You will feel very much at home on Adventure--it is one of Explorer's sister ships.

Yes! I was so excited to see another Voyager class ship coming to Bayonne. Just talking to my husband today and hopefully making a decision. Thank you so much for all the great advice!

(Not feeling sure of which cruise to book . . . not a bad problem to have.) :rolleyes:

Comparing Anthem to Adventure is like comparing a 2002 BMW to a 2016 Maserati.

Anthem is so much more technologically advanced. Two70 is a marvel of engineering that no other ship in the RCL fleet can match. The Solarium is second to none, which Adventure just cannot match, especially if in poor weather out of Bayonne. The cabins and all interior spaces are so much more modern.

The two most important things are that Quantum Class is more outward focus (a combination of Radiance Class and Celebrity S Class) with many places to see outside ... Voyager Class is inward focus with very few interior areas to see the sea. The second point is that Quantum Class is a totally different experience from Voyager Class, you won't even recognize that it's RCL until you get used to the ship and it's design.

Many LOVE Anthem here on Cruise Critic.... many HATE Anthem.

I think it's really up to the OP to book or not book, and see for themselves whether they'll like it.

Many folks here are creatures of habit and would prefer their 2002 used BMW with no blue tooth, no gps, a cassette player, etc vs. a change and brand new.

I agree. I have sailed on the Anthem and Ovation. I have also cruised on the Mariner, Adventure and Navigator(2 times). I have cruised both classes in the last year. Had great trips on both. They are different experiences. I love the Ifly, like the bumper cars, I miss the ice show, but then I have watched it a dozen times, so I can live without it.

The one thing that I laugh at is saying they avoid the giant ships. The two classes are close to physically the same size 137,000 tons versus 154,000. The area where the Anthem is bigger is passengers and crew, Max passenger is 3800 versus 5400. The crew though almost doubles on the Anthem from 1185 to 2165.

What I am trying to say is the worst getting off the ship experiences I have ever had, was on the Legend, a relatively tiny ship, the Navigator on a TA, and the Freedom out of PC. The best experience was on the Navigator in Southampton, and the Ovation in China.

In other words in my opinion blanket put downs or cheering of a ship based on the "size" is kind of self-defeating.

JC

Not at all. However, don't believe everything you read about Anthem. I have been on her and loved it - going on her again next month and again next November.

Don't base which ship you go on because random strangers that you know nothing about like or don't like the ship. :-)

Preach!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes! I was so excited to see another Voyager class ship coming to Bayonne. Just talking to my husband today and hopefully making a decision. Thank you so much for all the great advice!

(Not feeling sure of which cruise to book . . . not a bad problem to have.) :rolleyes:

Hi jwick-just curious if you guys decided yet? FYI, although prices tend to be around the same no matter what they call a "sale", the price right now for a refundable balcony cabin, mid ship is just $50 more than the lowest I have seen. I have also seen it over $200 more, so this may be a good time to book (or call for a price adjustment if you already booked).

I'll say this: I was VERY nervous about doing Anthem, for the same reason... the reviews really put me off. I'm normally a NCL guy, always out of New York (meaning Breakaway/Gem). But I got a good deal on Anthem and decided to give it a try, against my "better" judgment.

Wow, am I glad I did.

The ship is gorgeous, right off the bat. I've never sailed any other Royal ship, so can't compare but it was just... everywhere you looked, there was something to see. Artwork everywhere. Even spaces like Boleros (which I loved) were well designed. 270 was one of the most inventive, amazing spaces, and was a great place to enjoy during the day (not to mention the crazy shows at night). And the little eatery attatched to it -- Cafe 270, I think it's called? Fantastic food. I ate lunch there every day, I think. (Also, if you're a foodie? Wonderland was a must. Totally incredible dining experience... IF you are adventurous).

I didn't do the bumper cars or the surfing or iFly, for various reasons... and it didn't impact my trip at all.

Oh, and the solarium? Man, does NCL need to get in on that action, especially the ships sailing out of NYC in winter.

I'm one of those people who says "I don't care where the ship's going, or what ship I'm on, as long as I"m on a ship", but I have to say... Anthem kinda took my breath away. Booked her again for March 2019. (NOt that I'm switching up my main loyalty, as I have Breakaway on Oct. 29th and Gem on February 3!)

Richard