9:25AM flight after Harmony: Yay or Nay?

First class doesn't give you much of a leg up with security.

When you fly first class,

You have priority check in. So checking in a bag is quick tops 5 minutes get boarding passes.

They have a priority line for first class. So you go right to the front passing the people in the regular line. Then you go right to the screening area. Never wait in line more then 3 minutes before I'm in the scanning area. Thru security in 5 minutes.

Definitely conflicting opinions on the impact of flying first class in terms of the security line!

OP here...thanks for all the replies. I found a 2PM direct flight on Jet Blue I think I'm going to book. The early flight and getting home by noon and not having to waste all day sitting in an airport is very appealing, but I feel it's a bit risky with the crush of spring break. I haven't been on an Oasis class ship since 2015 so I don't remember the disembarkation instructions and we didn't do self assist anyways on that trip.

I would also be stressing out big time and I don't want to ruin the last day of the cruise.

Smart decision. Enjoy.

OP here...thanks for all the replies. I found a 2PM direct flight on Jet Blue I think I'm going to book. The early flight and getting home by noon and not having to waste all day sitting in an airport is very appealing, but I feel it's a bit risky with the crush of spring break. I haven't been on an Oasis class ship since 2015 so I don't remember the disembarkation instructions and we didn't do self assist anyways on that trip.

I would also be stressing out big time and I don't want to ruin the last day of the cruise. My recent attempt at the 9:55 flight I had a strong feeling I would be successful as I knew I could get off the ship first and had a backup plan of renting a car (was going to Orlando only). I would probably attempt it on Carnival only because I am guaranteed being in the first group off the ship (platinum self assist).

You'd be guaranteed first off on RCI without being platinum.

Just gotta get in line around 6am or a few minutes earlier.

Enjoy your jet blue flight.At least there is tv to watch on the plane to make the flight go faster.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Definitely conflicting opinions on the impact of flying first class in terms of the security line!

Probably because there can be different experiences with the effect.

Different airports have different facilities for F passengers. There's no standard practice like there is with TSA Pre-Check.

The line for F passengers is also the line for elites in the airlines' frequent flyer programs, anyone who buys the expedited security access that many airlines are selling as an add-on these days, and sometimes certain airline credit card holders.

So, as you can imagine, the length of that line can vary greatly. On a Monday morning when all of the business travelers are heading out, I've seen the "premium" line longer than the regular line at some airports.

Also the "premium" line still has to do the laptops/liquids out and shoes off dance and use the millimeter wave scanner, both of which slow things down.

So while you can get a very fast trip through that line if there are few F passengers and frequent flyers going through when you do, it's not a guarantee and can be just as long as the regular security line.

The only way to be sure of a fast trip through security is by having Pre-Check either directly or through Global Entry or Nexus.

As another poster just said, often that "priority" line in security is slower or longer. It's also the line they put wheelchairs in etc. It's been a long time since I can recall actual long security lines even for regular.

Even if I'm in regular line, it's usually very fast anyways.

First class is great for check in. For security, priority line is rather useless 95% of the time. By far the best way to breeze through security is to get precheck, well worth the effort. Get Global Entry and you get precheck with it.

I almost always fly first class and don't really do it for security, there is no priority line for precheck! It's nice to board first and skip that line, plus the better seats, a nice meal, and yes, that pre flight jack and coke while the coach passengers fight for overhead space.

Many would be surprised at just how inexpensive domestic first class is...

Our flight is at 9:55a.m., so we plan to be one of the first off, grab a taxi and be at the FLL by 8:00a.m. We have TSA, so we aren't worried. Plus we always have carry-on luggage so no need to stand in a line to check luggage. If the cruise arrives late, we just contact Southwest...love them because there is no penalty to reschedule. We do this all the time:)

This past Nov I was on the FOS, which arrived on time and I was part of early departures, for some reason the Customs Officers were late in arriving. Took over an hour and half to clear the building, the police had to be called in to handle the crowd at the taxi stand, stuff happens.

Let me start by saying I have read many threads about making an early flight after an Oasis-class ship in Port Everglades. My gut is telling me not to book this flight because it will be March/Spring Break season. Is this even remotely possible with self-assist and being in the first few groups off the ship? I don't have any status with Royal (lowly Emerald), so I know I won't be in the privileged groups who get to depart first (suite guest, diamonds, etc).

My reasons for wanting this early flight is the direct nature and the price. The next direct flight on Southwest is at 7:30PM and I'd rather not do that. I can take a direct Delta flight but it is $600 more, and I'm not wanting that either. Let me also say I am not afraid of taking risks every now again. A few weeks ago we departed the Carnival Vista in Miami and easily made a 9:55AM flight out of FLL (did platinum self-assist). We were literally in the first group of 10 people getting off the ship at 7AM.

I have not attempted this out of Port Everglades. Please talk me out/into this!! :confused:

In Port Everglades if you do self assist departure and leave the ship at the first call that is around 6:15a to 6:30a, you'll be at the airport by 7am... so the answer is, yes, is possible... as always, there is the risk... late arrival due to numerous situations that are not normal but could happen...

I have done numerous time early flights in different port like Barcelona, Rome, Tampa, New York and one time drove early from Port Canaveral to Miami same day of arrival to be in my work by 11am and made it... so everything is possible when the stars are all aligned...

Enjoy your sailing...