When do you buy shore excursions?

baja mama

If I'm spending thousands to go somewhere to see something I want to be assured I'll see it. If it's just going to a beach or a snorkel tour like on a Caribbean cruise there will be plenty of opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's fair point. I am going to Malta this month, and I booked a private guide 6 months ago who promised me a visit to the Hypogeum as part of his tour. This is a must see for me. However, there is nothing I am excited about in Kotor, so I will wing it and see what the touts say to me at the dock.

If there is a MUST DO thing, we book it when it's available...spend now, spend later...same amount! If we aren't sure, then we wait and take our chances. Rarely, tho, do we book anything...we do our research, so we can "do our own thing"...saves a bundle!

A big plus that we have experienced with smaller, private tours is that the tour guide knows when to arrive/depart sights in order to avoid the cruise line bus tours or the crowds.

They tend to know the tour schedules and can work around them to our advantage.

As soon as HAL posts shore excursions, we book them.
When is that, generally? My Alaska cruise is 330 days away: When should we expect the first excursions to be made available for booking?

If we want to do something in the port other than just walk around the port area/town, we only consider ship-based shore excursions. I've seen too many people have issues with independent shore excursions -- either getting left when the ship sails or have issues with scheduling and refunds if the itinerary is changed or port stop times changed once on-board.

Just proves how experience shapes our habits and preferences. I have had enough crappy shore excursions through the cruise lines that I will not voluntarily take one unless there is no other choice. These have included: stops left out, shopping stops that stretch on to double the originally allotted time, guides with inaccurate information, and guides who make fun of ethnic minorities (in her country).

I prefer to do things on my own via local transportation whenever I can, with private tours being a good second choice. I've not had a bad experience with the latter -- in fact, have had some excellent ones -- but I just like doing things on my own, including all the research.

I shop the Shore Excursions online and I will investigate private tours for some ports. If I see a Shore Excursion that I really want to try, I will book it before boarding the ship. Otherwise, I probably will attend the Shore Tours program offered and listen to the descriptions before making a choice.

We do both & it depends on who we are cruising with..Sometimes we'll book a tour that our roll call is going on..Sometimes we'll book a tour we're very interested in after final payment, or wait till we board the ship & at times we will hire a cab in port & ask to be taken to a spot we are most interested in..

There are also times when we'll just roam around by ourselves in a port & stop for a coffee or cool drink.. We rarely shop for things as we're retired & have downsized..

It completely depends on where we are going, with whom we are travelling & if we know the port & have been there before..

I'm retired from the travel field & am comfortable waiting to book a tour, but that way isn't for everyone.. If you've never been in a port before, I would suggest you either book on line when you see something you really don't want to miss or wait till you board a ship..Many times they will put on extra buses if tours are full & enough people show interest.. I've often asked to be added to a "Waitlist" &/or hired a cab in port..Just be sure to talk to the driver a head of time..Be sure to get the exact price to & from the ship, & make arrangements to be picked up when you are ready to return to the ship..Also inspect his cab prior to getting in it..Some of them drive around in old jalopy's..LOL

Just proves how experience shapes our habits and preferences. I have had enough crappy shore excursions through the cruise lines that I will not voluntarily take one unless there is no other choice. These have included: stops left out, shopping stops that stretch on to double the originally allotted time, guides with inaccurate information, and guides who make fun of ethnic minorities (in her country).

I prefer to do things on my own via local transportation whenever I can, with private tours being a good second choice. I've not had a bad experience with the latter -- in fact, have had some excellent ones -- but I just like doing things on my own, including all the research.

My experience is similar to yours cruisemom.

While we still book the odd HAL tour I try to choose wisely to avoid the disappointments of the past.

Our experience with diy and private tours has been far superior ;)

If there is a HAL tour or a private tour we want, we book it asap. Good guides / tours are booked quickly. And in some of the smaller, less visited ports, there are limited resources.

When is that, generally? My Alaska cruise is 330 days away: When should we expect the first excursions to be made available for booking?

Six to nine months in advance of the cruise is usually when they start showing up on the website; sometimes earlier (especially if HAL offers a promotional discount on shorex). More can be added later so keep checking. I, too, am impatiently waiting for my shorex to populate. I use HAL's info to see what is available and then start looking at private options. We do a combination of both HAL tours and private tours (and generally book once we know for sure that we're going on the cruise).

I research every port and know what we want to do before leaving home. I prebook private excursions, tickets when needed (thinking Anne Frank house) and ship tours. I don't want the hassle of worrying about that on board.

We do a combo of on your own, private tours and rarely a ship tour. I prefer private tours because then I get to go to the places I want to, shorter lines and smaller groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HAL marks their excursions as either limited capacity or unlimited. If an excursion has limited capacity and it's a "must do" we book it early. The unlimited kind can wait until we see what the weather will be like in port.