Holiday staff gift

aquawater2

Many crew don't get to go ashore, and many ports do NOT have a Walmart. Give cash. They can spend it anywhere, without worrying about whether a particular store is in that port, or having to take an hour bus ride to get to it or whatever.

Not really. Many people just don't care for sweets, others may be diabetic or trying to watch their weight or whatever. I get sweet treats frequently as gift in my job. I always smile and thank them and gush over how delicious it looks and how I can't wait to indulge. Then I take it home and throw it in the trash.

Most times they can trade the candy to their buddies on the ship.

No need to waste things.

We have been in many ports around the world, and have seen crew members coming back with multiple bags of chips & candy & soda. So I don't see a problem with little gifts of candy ...as long as they are extra gifts, not meant to replace cash.

We have been in many ports around the world, and have seen crew members coming back with multiple bags of chips & candy & soda. So I don't see a problem with little gifts of candy ...as long as they are extra gifts, not meant to replace cash.

Or you can just give extra cash instead of risking giving something that'll get thrown out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Or you can just give extra cash instead of risking giving something that'll get thrown out.

Agree; I have never understood why some feel the need to try and give tangible gifts to strangers on cruise ships. Why take the time and effort in purchasing them a gift they may or may not like, when if you just give them that money (that you were going use on a gift) as extra cash there is a 100% chance they will be happy (and can use it for ANYTHING they want/need). The best things passengers can do for the hard working crew is extra CASH gratuities, praising them by name on comment cards when merited and treating them with kindness and respect. The only exception I have made is occasionally on lengthy cruises when I have bonded a bit with a particular crew member I have asked them if I can pick up anything for them while I am on shore . That way it is ensured it is something they desire.

Agree; I have never understood why some feel the need to try and give tangible gifts to strangers on cruise ships. Why take the time and effort in purchasing them a gift they may or may not like, when if you just give them that money (that you were going use on a gift) as extra cash there is a 100% chance they will be happy (and can use it for ANYTHING they want/need). The best things passengers can do for the hard working crew is extra CASH gratuities, praising them by name on comment cards when merited and treating them with kindness and respect. The only exception I have made is occasionally on lengthy cruises when I have bonded a bit with a particular crew member I have asked them if I can pick up anything for them while I am on shore . That way it is ensured it is something they desire.

We give them cash in an envelope with a thank you note.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

I work in a service industry where employees are recognised or rewarded and we learnt that it's not always about tangible gifts but the gesture of recognition and thanks to those who do not get to spend the holiday season or birthday etc with those they love because we're dealing with health emergencies and on duty. Some times a thank you card means so much mire than any present. Showing our appreciation is acknowledging this and we should all choose to do what we believe is the right thing from us to them but adds value to the recipient. We had a crew member in cellar masters who did not celebrate Christmas but told us that every year her family went to the Hilton in Bangkok to take a photo with the Christmas tree, it meant a lot to her. So we arranged for her to have a photo taken in front of the tree to send to her family and gave her her very first Christmas present. She was overjoyed and then came to sing carols too. We never forgot this wonderful moment and some on here may say 'why give a present when they don't celebrate' she was happy and it made us feel happy to be part of her experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In our home town a local photographer produces an annual Festive card based on a local scene which has been taken in winter. It's blank inside so you can put in whatever message is appropriate to the recipients belief. I then put in cash. Cash is king candies and trinkets are not.

I've found that I can ask people ahead of the day what they do at this time of year back home and tailor my written messages accordingly.

If I'm also on board at New Year I bring a pack of Scottish New Year cards and again a small cash gift is inserted.

My tips are prepaid and I usually give extra. These holiday gifts are in addition to the extras and it usually surprises our stateroom staff more when they get something at the end. It seems many guests take off their holiday gift from their end of cruise additional tips or worse still their basic tips

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never been to NZ but I can assure you that there approx. 15 to 20 Walmart stores in China..

Walmart has stores in about 25 different countries..We even found one in Africa when we were there..

I have never seen a wallmart in a European country. And I travel a lot.

I have never seen a wallmart in a European country. And I travel a lot.

The Asda supermarket chain (the UKs third largest chain by marketshare) is part of the Wallmsrt group but I have no idea if they accept US Wallmark gift cards as Asda to the best of my knowledge operates as a separate business.

Trade for what?

Maybe Celebrity could allow the crew to have a market stall to sell all the jewellery and trinkets back to the passengers at the Captain's weekly never to be repeated clearout sale of all the old tutt

The Asda supermarket chain (the UKs third largest chain by marketshare) is part of the Wallmsrt group but I have no idea if they accept US Wallmark gift cards as Asda to the best of my knowledge operates as a separate business.

They don't!

Would someone who wants to give gift cards to the crew, please explain why you just wouldn't just give cash instead?

Great question. It's so frustrating that posters on this thread are so dense that they won't accept the fact that their trinkets, candies, gift cards and clothes are stupid gifts for strangers that serve you for a few days.

They aren't your family and you're just one of 1000 people they will serve this year. Yes, they will smile when you give them junk from your hometown but it's still junk!

For now on, when someone posts about their master plan to turn crew into their grandchildren by giving them creepy jewelry or other junk, my only response will be "Or you could just give them cash!"

Great question. It's so frustrating that posters on this thread are so dense that they won't accept the fact that their trinkets, candies, gift cards and clothes are stupid gifts for strangers that serve you for a few days.

They aren't your family and you're just one of 1000 people they will serve this year. Yes, they will smile when you give them junk from your hometown but it's still junk!

For now on, when someone posts about their master plan to turn crew into their grandchildren by giving them creepy jewelry or other junk, my only response will be "Or you could just give them cash!"

Does xmas chocolate money count as cash?

on one of our previous boat trips one of the normally jokey and outgoing bar servers seemed a bit low. One of his colleagues told us he had lost his iphone in miami. Someone I know 'loaned ' his iPhone to him - it was actually an 'old' 5s which he used whilst ashore rather than is new 7. The guy was really pleased as he could skype home etc when he got time off. The passenger then said he could keep it - the smile lit up the sky.

So cash is not always the best. As my friend said the phone had little value to him but was very valuable to the staff member. This gesture showed thought as well as generosity. I don't give anything to people just for doing their job- except politeness and respect.

Just what we do for the Cabin Steward - - We have asked several Cabin Stewards what there favorite treat is, and yes they can get it on the ship but they tell us it is either expensive or they feel like they are wasting their money buying treats for themselves. 9 times out of 10 we hear Coke & either chocolate or some type of trail mix. Besides the normal gratuities, at the first port we buy a 12 pk or several bottles/cans of Coke (or whatever they say) and a few packages of either the chocolate or trail mix. We put a Coke in the little refrigerator every day & leave a small treat & simply tell him or her we don't drink Coke - the one in the refrigerator is for them. Some days we tape a little "Thank you" & extra cash to the Coke in the refrigerator. Nearly every time we have been told they love it. This last cruise the cabin steward told us he laid in bed at night, put on a movie while he had his Coke & trail mix & had a great night.

By asking them what they like, we don't have to guess & we do it every cruise not just holidays. Just in case you are worried - we also take care of others.

I opine it is Cel X's responsibility to care for their staff - not mine. We do treat the staff with respect and friendly dialogue. The remuneration of the staff is a matter between employer & employees so I do not subscribe to this tipping malarkey. Others are entitled to tip staff if they wish.

I opine it is Cel X's responsibility to care for their staff - not mine. We do treat the staff with respect and friendly dialogue. The remuneration of the staff is a matter between employer & employees so I do not subscribe to this tipping malarkey. Others are entitled to tip staff if they wish.

I'm sure they greatly appreciate your "friendly dialogue"