Anytime dining on the Grand?

elycelynne

I decided to give it a try for my upcoming cruise in January since I thought that 5:30 for fixed was just too early. So how is Anytime on the Grand in terms of wait times and decent service? Is it particularly horrendous or is it not too bad?

I should also mention that I'm perfectly fine with sharing a table, so hopefully that might cut down on wait time.

Edited by elycelynne

We go to MDR around 8pm and had no problem getting seated, even for 2

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They also take some reservations each morning for Anytime Dining. I think it's about 30% of the tables. That way, even if there is a line, you have a minimal to no wait.

The dining room, on Deck 6 mid-ship, will open around 7:30 pm. That's where we normally go. You might have to wait your turn to be seated, but that's just a few minutes. It also gets crowded on formal nights.

This is what worked well for us on the Grand, and we were able to reserve one table for the entirety of the cruise, too!

We like to eat around 6 - 6:30 PM so try to make reservations with the Maitre'D the first night when we board. We also like to go to the late show after dinner and this gives us time to change or stop at Crooners listening to music before heading to the theater.

For dinner, between 6:15 and 7:30, the lines and wait times can be crazy but then they thin out around 8:00 and are barely existent at 8:30. On formal night, it can be very busy so if you have a preferred time and table, you will probably want to make a reservation for that night.

I generally agree with the above, but wanted to address your second question: Service. While obviously you can't expect the kind of remember-your-previous-preferences service that you get when you have the same waiter every night, we found the service to be generally good. On those occasions when we did get the same waiter, he generally remembered us.

Also, how much of a wait do you consider "bad"? The worst we had was about 30 minutes, but that night we had planned to grab a glass of wine at Vines anyway, so it was not a big deal. If you're open to sharing tables, I wouldn't expect a wait of more than a few minutes.

I generally agree with the above, but wanted to address your second question: Service. While obviously you can't expect the kind of remember-your-previous-preferences service that you get when you have the same waiter every night, we found the service to be generally good. On those occasions when we did get the same waiter, he generally remembered us.

Also, how much of a wait do you consider "bad"? The worst we had was about 30 minutes, but that night we had planned to grab a glass of wine at Vines anyway, so it was not a big deal. If you're open to sharing tables, I wouldn't expect a wait of more than a few minutes.

Thanks! I realize that the service with Anytime isn't as "personalized" as what you get with traditional. I was more curious about the general difference in the duration. Is it a bit speedier in Anytime because they'll have several turnovers as opposed to traditional where only two seatings are expected?

Thanks! I realize that the service with Anytime isn't as "personalized" as what you get with traditional. I was more curious about the general difference in the duration. Is it a bit speedier in Anytime because they'll have several turnovers as opposed to traditional where only two seatings are expected?

If you get a table for two, and don't order every course, it will be faster. If you get a big table, say for eight people, it takes longer because the waiters don't know your preferences, and they have to take the food and drink orders, and then go get the food and drinks, for more people.

That's been my experience anyways.

If you get a table for two, and don't order every course, it will be faster. If you get a big table, say for eight people, it takes longer because the waiters don't know your preferences, and they have to take the food and drink orders, and then go get the food and drinks, for more people.

That's been my experience anyways.

Spot on!!!

We once went a bit late and still wanted to make the show so we noted were ok with it when asked 'do you wish to share?'. We usually find dinner is quite enjoyable when we do share so once in a while, why not??

Well, they seated us at a table with a Russian family that spoke zero English and my Russian language skills are also nil. Plus, they were taking forever deciding what they wanted. Well, dinner was quite uncomfortable but we asked the waiter if it would be ok to take our order and us instead of waiting for them to decide what they wanted ... and he seemed ok with that. I felt funny asking but we were literally in two different worlds without any way of communicating with one another and we really had our heart set on seeing the show, which wasn't going to happen if we were to wait. Now, we could of and even stated we could go to the buffet but our waiter assured us it was not a problem at all ... we were in and out of there so fast, it was incredible. It wasn't optimal, though ... quite uncomfortable, actually.

Usually, my only stipulation for not sharing a table is if they are notably sick or have recently doused themselves in a bottle of perfume or aftershave. Otherwise, we've met some of the nicest people when we share a table ... but it does increase the length of time we are at the dinner table, that's for sure!!

Spot on!!!

We once went a bit late and still wanted to make the show so we noted were ok with it when asked 'do you wish to share?'. We usually find dinner is quite enjoyable when we do share so once in a while, why not??

Well, they seated us at a table with a Russian family that spoke zero English and my Russian language skills are also nil. Plus, they were taking forever deciding what they wanted. Well, dinner was quite uncomfortable but we asked the waiter if it would be ok to take our order and us instead of waiting for them to decide what they wanted ... and he seemed ok with that. I felt funny asking but we were literally in two different worlds without any way of communicating with one another and we really had our heart set on seeing the show, which wasn't going to happen if we were to wait. Now, we could of and even stated we could go to the buffet but our waiter assured us it was not a problem at all ... we were in and out of there so fast, it was incredible. It wasn't optimal, though ... quite uncomfortable, actually.

Usually, my only stipulation for not sharing a table is if they are notably sick or have recently doused themselves in a bottle of perfume or aftershave. Otherwise, we've met some of the nicest people when we share a table ... but it does increase the length of time we are at the dinner table, that's for sure!!

Yes, it's always kind of a "crap shoot" when you share a large table with strangers. ;) On a positive note though, we are going wine tasting tomorrow with a couple we met at dinner on the Grand Princess. :)

It's OK if you like to chat over dinner but we've found that it always increased the dining time and just gets us to the show lounge so late you're lucky to fine a seat at all.

A table for 2 allows us to eat quickly & get choice seats.

• 4 months later...
And that is one reason others have to wait for a table.

Exactly ! People have to wait because others need the same table each night & don't care for traditional dining. :confused:

Anytime should mean exactly that you show up when you want to eat & then they seat you.

No reserving seats ahead of time or for the whole cruise.

Exactly ! People have to wait because others need the same table each night & don't care for traditional dining. :confused:

Anytime should mean exactly that you show up when you want to eat & then they seat you.

No reserving seats ahead of time or for the whole cruise.

I totally agree. Reservations at anytime defeat the whole purpose and penalizes those who understand and agree that anytime means as it happens. Besides unless you want to eat at peak hours you never wait longer then 10 minutes.

I totally agree. Reservations at anytime defeat the whole purpose and penalizes those who understand and agree that anytime means as it happens. Besides unless you want to eat at peak hours you never wait longer then 10 minutes.

The should work it the same was as they do for tender assignments.

Show up the the door when your whole group decides they want to eat.

The should work it the same was as they do for tender assignments.

Show up the the door when your whole group decides they want to eat.

The beauty of Anytime dining is that period when everybody shows up is not the time to eat dinner. It is not hard to figure out when that time is and then go 5 minutes earlier.