Confused over balcony categories

We have just booked our first RCI cruise. We will be on Allure in February. We booked a superior ocean view balcony and the only one available was 10582 which I understand is a D6. There would appear to be D grades from 1-8. Most of them appear on many decks so I would like to know what is the difference (apart from some on humps with larger balconies)

Thank you all in advance

The size of the inside part of the stateroom is the same.

D1 and D2 have the larger balcony with the D1 being able to accommodate more than two guests.

The difference with the others are perceived better location.

The size of the inside part of the stateroom is the same.

D1 and D2 have the larger balcony with the D1 being able to accommodate more than two guests.

The difference with the others are perceived better location.

On Allure, I'm pretty sure D1-D4 have occupancy of more than 2 guests.

So...if the cabins other than D1-2 are ranked on the basis of perceived better locations, D8 would be the best perceived location? Or is it the other way around?

Lower numbers are "better".

"Perceived" is definitely correct once you get lower than a 1 or 2. I think much of this is to limit availability to drive up demand.

I have seen cabins with higher numbers in what I thought was a better location than a lower number cabin and I have also seen lower number cabins cost more than higher number ones from time to time.

Just find the best price and location within the class that you like.

Even numbers such as D-2, D-4, D-6 means stateroom for 2 people. Odd numbers represent staterooms that can hold more than 2 people. Supposedly, the lower the number and lower the alphabet letter, the better the location on the ship -- which is very subjective.

On Allure, I'm pretty sure D1-D4 have occupancy of more than 2 guests.

Other than D1 and D2 the lower the number the higher up on the ship it is located. Although some perceive this to be a better location, many do not. I would much rather have a D7 or D8 on decks 6 or 7 the a D3 on deck 14.

"Perceived" is definitely correct once you get lower than a 1 or 2. I think much of this is to limit availability to drive up demand.

I have seen cabins with higher numbers in what I thought was a better location than a lower number cabin and I have also seen lower number cabins cost more than higher number ones from time to time.

Just find the best price and location within the class that you like.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

Other than D1 and D2 the lower the number the higher up on the ship it is located. Although some perceive this to be a better location, many do not. I would much rather have a D7 or D8 on decks 6 or 7 the a D3 on deck 14.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

I agree - AND I DID mean to quote you:cool:

I don't have a clue how royal does this now. I went back and looked at the cabin we stayed in on allure several years ago, first cabin on the hump, a d5 on deck 8. The same cabin now is a d7. It's a great location

If you think it's confusing now wait until you make a reservation on the new system on bookings after May 2018. like 15 balcony classes on Oasis class. What it boils down to is Money . Same deck just different rate on aft,forward, midships, number cabin can sleep etc. Others lines had it for a while and now we get the added costs. Bob:):):)

I don't have a clue how royal does this now. I went back and looked at the cabin we stayed in on allure several years ago, first cabin on the hump, a d5 on deck 8. The same cabin now is a d7. It's a great location

I think they just throw darts at a dartboard marked d1, d2, ...

does anyone know what an E3 balcony means? for instance room 7518 forward balcony on Adventure of the Seas.:confused::D

An "E" type balcony is a bit smaller than a "D" type. The difference is in length, usually a two-person loveseat instead of the three-person couch.

Number of beds and location is the only difference between the number designations. A D category that holds 2 people is the same size as one that holds 4....it will simply have 2 extra beds. Same with E (deluxe balcony) category... E's are smaller than D's.

It looks where they have the higher occupancy cabins they alternate them so there are none together. On the Oasis D1/D2 alternate, D3/D5 alternate and D4/D7 alternate. So probably the only difference in these grouping is the sofa or Pullman.

I guess this is to not have too many passengers together.

Okay, I'm looking at an Allure deck plan. Sample on deck 8, I see D1 quads, D4 quads and D2 doubles. On deck 10, I see D3 quads. So I have no idea what that means other than you need to look for the triangle or diamond symbol to determine cabins with triple/quad occupancy.