re meat pies

On 5/31/2023 at 9:33 AM, MMDown Under said:

This morning on Today on 9 I came across a segment on pies.  Did anyone see it?  The two hosts and one guest tasted pies.  I think the man was a pie tester.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/latest/australia-best-pies-and-pasties-competition-2023-winners-announced/13e9ee66-0d6e-44c8-8cde-53e2f6e38f85

Overall Winners of Best Pie and Pastie in Australia 2023

After running through the winners from Day 3 of the competition the winners of the two ultimate categories were announced. The title of Australia’s Best Pie was taken out by Country Cob Bakery, Melbourne, and Australia’s Best Pastie went to Samuel Gee Pies and Pastries, Southern Highlands, NSW.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, possum52 said:

Overall Winners of Best Pie and Pastie in Australia 2023

After running through the winners from Day 3 of the competition the winners of the two ultimate categories were announced. The title of Australia’s Best Pie was taken out by Country Cob Bakery, Melbourne, and Australia’s Best Pastie went to Samuel Gee Pies and Pastries, Southern Highlands, NSW.

I'm intrigued with the name Samuel Gee Pies and Pastries.  They won with a Vegetarian Sweet Potato, Spinach and Caramelised Onion Pastie. How times have changed, but it sounds delicious.  I would love to try it!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you. Who can recommend any of these pie shops?  Interesting limited to NSW Pies.

Having been named the top pie shops, all come recommended. 😉 I have tried a few of these pie shops. I must try the Lismore Pie Cart,Lismore Pie Cart

and the Tilba Bakery.

Tilba Bakery's legendary beef mince potato pie

26 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you. Who can recommend any of these pie shops?  Interesting limited to NSW Pies.

The list would be limited to NSW because it was prepared by the NRMA. 🙂 It would be strange if they included shops in other areas of Australia.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The list would be limited to NSW because it was prepared by the NRMA. 🙂 It would be strange if they included shops in other areas of Australia.

NRMA sells its policies in Queensland. NSW people travel in Queensland 

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

NRMA sells its policies in Queensland. NSW people travel in Queensland 

I suggest it was the motoring organization NRMA, not its insurance arm that prepared the list. It wouldn't be relevant for an insurance company to have a list for travellers.

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I suggest it was the motoring organization NRMA, not its insurance arm that prepared the list. It wouldn't be relevant for an insurance company to have a list for travellers.

My friend has NRMA Insurance.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Having been named the top pie shops, all come recommended. 😉 I have tried a few of these pie shops. I must try the Lismore Pie Cart,Lismore Pie Cart

and the Tilba Bakery.

Tilba Bakery's legendary beef mince potato pie

Oops. I meant who has been lucky enough to visit these recommended pie shops!

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My friend has NRMA Insurance.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Relevance?🙂 I also know people with NRMA insurance.

Smalll world, I both have NRMA insurance and know other people who do as well.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Smalll world, I both have NRMA insurance and know other people who do as well.

I have RACQ insurance.  I didn't know you could have NRMA Insurance in Queensland.  

FWIW, the NRMA repair service is first rate in Queensland. My friend hit a kangaroo at 1pm in her mother's car on road from Goondiwindi to Brisbane. She said it would have gone through her windscreen, if she was driving her car.  So much for looking out for kangaroos at dawn and dusk!

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

These are the Pie shops I have visited. I can recommend them all. Plenty still to visit.😋

Heatherbrae’s Pies,

The Famous Robertson Pie Shop,

Morpeth Cottage Bakehouse,

Thank you.  We should keep a list of recommended pie shops and tick them off as we travel.  I worked with a guy who had a book of pencil drawings of historic buildings, which he planned to visit after he retired. I think pie shops would be more fun.  We visited

a new shop on our last travels and had fun finding it!!

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I think pie shops would be more fun.

Around Brisbane, there is:

Syd's Pie Shop, Loganholme

Muzza's Pies, Coorparoo

KP Gourmet Bakery, Carindale

Wavell Hot Bread, Wavell Heights

Carby's Bakehouse, Wavell Heights

All worth a go.

Eating pies is such an equaliser.  I remember Keith Williams developer used to drive his Rolls Royce to have a pie with his mates on the footpath outside the local Main Beach pie shop.  Personal delivery of pies 😀

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Eating pies is such an equaliser.  I remember Keith Williams developer used to drive his Rolls Royce to have a pie with his mates on the footpath outside the local Main Beach pie shop.  Personal delivery of pies 😀

Over the years been to Robertson Pies, Haydns at Ulladulla, Tilba, Heatherbraes , Yatala, Freddos and many, many more. 🥧

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:24 PM, MMDown Under said:

British Bites - Biscuits and Sweets plus Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies $8.99 Aldi on sale 7/6. also HP sauce and Lea&Perrins Sauces etc. Frys chocolate creams are favourites. 

Woolies and Coles have some of those items all the time. International Foods Section.  HP sauce is now made in Holland.

hp.jpg.ba72d08164000f56434672ce29703d6d.jpg079303.jpg.4b9460beff66a28cc8966b69cbf75671.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Woolies and Coles have some of those items all the time. International Foods Section.  HP sauce is now made in Holland.

hp.jpg.ba72d08164000f56434672ce29703d6d.jpg079303.jpg.4b9460beff66a28cc8966b69cbf75671.jpg

HP sauce was always on the table growing up in Scotland, but I never tasted it. It was Dad’s sauce. I’ve still never tasted it.😂

• Like 1