re meat pies

58 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Perfect.  Your grandson will always hold memories of idyllic days at his Gran’s during school holidays, and rest assured, sausage roll and vanilla cake aromas will always take his mind to those days.

You are so right!  Lucky boy to live close enough to ride.  My first memories of the NQ islands I was 2. My great uncle used to throw a fish at me to catch, so I could proudly say I caught the fish. Red Emperor remains a favourite fish today.

I feel sorry for people who don’t have grand parents or great aunts and uncles close.  My husband had four grandparents and one great grandparent when I met him. (I had only one who acted as a parent,)

• Like 1

In Greenwell Point the best pies come from our local butcher, South Coast Butcher’s Pantry.  Can sell up to 600 pies a week.  See present list below.

Great day for a pie!
Steak and kidney
Cheese and bacon (beef)
Steak and mushroom
Chunky beef
Satay chicken
Lamb and veggie
Cracked pepper (beef)
Plenty of other treats for your weekend cook up!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Best pies on Sunshine Coast at Ricks Pies and Sourdough Tewantin.  Big queue of customers by the time I finished - Cornish pastries, lamb shank pie with mashed potato, sourdough bread, salad, lemon merangue pie for desert). Found Noosa chocolate shop with coffee behind. Yum!!  Feels like holidays with sun out on river!!

• Like 3

On 4/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, MMDown Under said:

Best pies on Sunshine Coast at Ricks Pies and Sourdough Tewantin.  Big queue of customers by the time I finished - Cornish pastries, lamb shank pie with mashed potato, sourdough bread, salad, lemon merangue pie for desert). Found Noosa chocolate shop with coffee behind. Yum!!  Feels like holidays with sun out on river!!

Fully agree great products at Ricks ,Cooroy and Yandina also have super Pie Shops

• Like 1

We tried the Aldi Angus beef potato top pies the other day. A bit on the small side but very tasty. Creamy mash, really nice pastry and the meat filling was just the right consistency with a rich flavour. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We tried the Aldi Angus beef potato top pies the other day. A bit on the small side but very tasty. Creamy mash, really nice pastry and the meat filling was just the right consistency with a rich flavour. 👍

Agreed,  we had the Chicken, Leek and Camembert pie by Elmsbury today, very nice on a cold wet day.

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Do try one, be adventurous they are nice pies, 

We are at the beach so fish and chips every other day.  Plus calamarie and Mooloolaba prawns (cooked) and chips and marinated raw fish.  Beach was packed due to long weekend for Labour Day.  Pounding high surf and beautiful sunset.  

• Like 3

Seafood platter at  Corrigan Cove’s restaurant, Batemans Bay last week.  They had run out of oysters, so piled on extra mussels and prawns to compensate.  All fresh, fragrant, delicious, and impossible to finish.

IMG_5216.jpeg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Seafood platter at  Corrigan Cove’s restaurant, Batemans Bay last week.  They had run out of oysters, so piled on extra mussels and prawns to compensate.  All fresh, fragrant, delicious, and impossible to finish.

IMG_5216.jpeg

Impressive seafood platter. We have had

Several since we’ve been at Caloundra, as well as fish and chips/potato scallops. We even had a big mud crab and sashimi and made our own. Caloundra is a foodie paradise.  Found a new favourite restaurant - ZeeCaf-NoshCo to add to Izakaya Ate at Noosa Heads. I only buy seafood at the beach.  

58 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Impressive seafood platter. We have had

Several since we’ve been at Caloundra, as well as fish and chips/potato scallops. We even had a big mud crab and sashimi and made our own. Caloundra is a foodie paradise.  Found a new favourite restaurant - ZeeCaf-NoshCo to add to Izakaya Ate at Noosa Heads. I only buy seafood at the beach.  

All sounds wonderful, Marion.  I adore sashimi.  Seems like we have similar tastes in seafood.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

It was pie time for us. I made a stop at our butcher shop, chicken pot pie for Lynn.

20230510_165456.thumb.jpg.304f88af9694aec7bac5b3e4e33232b7.jpg

And butter chicken for me.

20230510_165551.thumb.jpg.5b2d34ae1b370fddd86002b1fc18da04.jpg

Where is the Orse young Lyle ? . They look more like Cornish Pasties. Lubbly Jubbly.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

What did the Australian Government bury 20,000 of in 1927?

Thousands of meat pies, sausage rolls (sargents) , fish etc. Crowd for opening of parliament in Canberra was not as big as expected, thus over catered. Rumours say the food was buried in Queanbeyan Tip, others say they were buried with foundations of the Treasury Building, so the foundation of our economy could be a Sargents Pie.

One would of thought the food could have been given to local charities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NSWP said:

Thousands of meat pies, sausage rolls (sargents) , fish etc. Crowd for opening of parliament in Canberra was not as big as expected, thus over catered. Rumours say the food was buried in Queanbeyan Tip, others say they were buried with foundations of the Treasury Building, so the foundation of our economy could be a Sargents Pie.

One would of thought the food could have been given to local charities.

Sauce(?) of our dough, Les?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried Hayden's Pies of Ulladulla?

I borrowed "Home Cooking with Hayden" Hayden Bridger from Hyden's Pies.  I can't resist a new library book, esp one like this one which tells a true story how he got to make pies.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Has anyone tried Hayden's Pies of Ulladulla?

I borrowed "Home Cooking with Hayden" Hayden Bridger from Hyden's Pies.  I can't resist a new library book, esp one like this one which tells a true story how he got to make pies.

Haydens Pies are about 45 minutes north of me. Always busy. When I go past I buy a few gf ones, but expensive @ $8.

I have read the story  of Haydens Pies., legendary. Top pies.

th.jpg.bfde842d9d2e938da849c9e0755eb9d8.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

This morning on Today on 9 I came across a segment on pies.  Did anyone see it?  The two hosts and one guest tasted pies.  I think the man was a pie tester.

Uncle Carl loves a 🥧 being a Queenslander, great pies in Qld.