re meat pies

On 7/6/2023 at 3:45 PM, possum52 said:

For lunch tofay we had pies made by National Pies in Hobart. Woolies stock them. Rectangle shaped classic beef. Very tasty.

Untitled-1-2.png

bit late to see this but i was brought up through the 70' and 80s on national pies  it was  my mums treat for us at the end of the school week   where  she would  send us  with brown paper bag with   1 meat pie  and a creambun on the bag  and we would then  put it the lunch tub to give to the tuck shop  ladies.

i always liked fridays   ,  however  my 2nd cousin  worked for national pies   and can remeber when he came to visit he would drop of bags of national pies and cream buns and other goodies

then my father found a cheaper source  of pies  from her majesties prison  (now his majesty)  where the convicts made  there own pies  and was sold  and i tell ya what some of these  convicts could bake a good pie  , Dad would bring a fortnight supply of them home  every fortnight  

but still cant beat a national pie 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

bit late to see this but i was brought up through the 70' and 80s on national pies  it was  my mums treat for us at the end of the school week   where  she would  send us  with brown paper bag with   1 meat pie  and a creambun on the bag  and we would then  put it the lunch tub to give to the tuck shop  ladies.

i always liked fridays   ,  however  my 2nd cousin  worked for national pies   and can remeber when he came to visit he would drop of bags of national pies and cream buns and other goodies

then my father found a cheaper source  of pies  from her majesties prison  (now his majesty)  where the convicts made  there own pies  and was sold  and i tell ya what some of these  convicts could bake a good pie  , Dad would bring a fortnight supply of them home  every fortnight  

but still cant beat a national pie 

Thanks ozdevil, we had National pies for lunch yesterday. They are very good. Risdon Prison? 

12 hours ago, ozdevil said:

yes  my father did nearly 40 years there  hm rison prison also known  as the pink palace

Your father 'did a lot of time' there. Forty years service is quite amazing.

My sister and brother in law live in a neighbouring suburb at Geilston Bay.

27 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Your father 'did a lot of time' there. Forty years service is quite amazing.

My sister and brother in law live in a neighbouring suburb at Geilston Bay.

my father would have been better killing someone for murder he would have got out quicker lol

yes 40years is along time in any job,  but to be  working in a prison for that long is truely amazing effort,  any of the emergancy workers wether its prison wardens, police,ambos, firies and not forgetting our nurse and drs  its amazing to their long service in jobs like these.

my Sister used to own home in Gielston bay opposite the geilston bay high school there.  Gielston bay is a very nice area    but basicly borders on a rough area known as Risdon Vale. however Risdon Vale  since my days has cleaned up bit  and  there is some good  walking trails around Gielston bay by taking a walk around to shag bay  where their is the old boiler and the only way you see that is either by boat at a distance (to shallow to get a boat in there) or by foot.

i could easily live in Gielston bay  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

th.jpg.bfde842d9d2e938da849c9e0755eb9d8.jpgHaydens Pies at South Ulladulla (45 minutes north of me) have a great range of normal and gf pies, cakes, etc. I often go up there to get a supply. They just won the best pie in NSW award.  Spot on dogs eyes and complimentary sauce, eat in or  take away.

397488885_120202152591080428_3557331594833344299_n.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 6

Got home late morning on Saturday from our 15N cruise. We had run down our 'fresh' food supplies prior to leaving, so limited options for a quick lunch. Queue the Four & Twenty beef pies in the freezer, quick zap in the micro & a liberal lash of tomato sauce - beautiful!!!!! Life is good 🙂 

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Got home late morning on Saturday from our 15N cruise. We had run down our 'fresh' food supplies prior to leaving, so limited options for a quick lunch. Queue the Four & Twenty beef pies in the freezer, quick zap in the micro & a liberal lash of tomato sauce - beautiful!!!!! Life is good 🙂 

Even better in the air fryer - keeps the pastry flaky

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

45 minutes,

that's a long way to shop if you want a sausage roll.:classic_cool:

:classic_tongue:

We went to a bakery at the shopping village near Lake Louise with the hot tip about them being the best sausage rolls ever. It was a bad tip, and a much longer way to the shop for a dud sausage roll.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, arxcards said:

We went to a bakery at the shopping village near Lake Louise with the hot tip about them being the best sausage rolls ever. It was a bad tip, and a much longer way to the shop for a dud sausage roll.

I think we stumbled across that place when we were on our road trip. Of course we had a car and it was grabbed a snack and refueled for the next leg of our drive. I recall they were quite expensive and rather ordinary. Of course I assume you are talking about Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think we stumbled across that place when we were on our road trip. Of course we had a car and it was grabbed a snack and refueled for the next leg of our drive. I recall they were quite expensive and rather ordinary. Of course I assume you are talking about Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies?

Yes, there was a bit of a shopping village a mile or so from the chateau. It was called Laggan's, or something like that. They were fresh and edible, but we had friends that talked them up as something special - maybe they hadn't eaten in days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

45 minutes,

that's a long way to shop if you want a sausage roll.:classic_cool:

:classic_tongue:

I know Mic, but no bakery in Batemans Bay does gf pies and sausage rolls. The frozen ones from Coles and Woollies pretty ordinary. So when I go to Haydens, I eat a  freshie there and bring back half a dozen frozies for Ron. Pricey though as is most gf food, $8 for the base mince beef pie.

• Like 4

I think part of the problem is that for the most part, sausage rolls and meat pies are not served warm here. I know we are a bunch of heathens. When I have a meat pie at work I eat it cold like a Cornish pasty. Of course one wouldn't eat a Tortiere cold. After I retire I will be able to have hot pies for lunch. I can drop in to the butcher shop and grab a couple fresh (but cold) and heat them at home.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think part of the problem is that for the most part, sausage rolls and meat pies are not served warm here. I know we are a bunch of heathens. When I have a meat pie at work I eat it cold like a Cornish pasty. Of course one wouldn't eat a Tortiere cold. After I retire I will be able to have hot pies for lunch. I can drop in to the butcher shop and grab a couple fresh (but cold) and heat them at home.

That is interesting.  We eat Cornish pasties hot, as well as pies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That is interesting.  We eat Cornish pasties hot, as well as pies.

Only pork pies cold, rest warm to hot. English style pork pies, available here, woolies and coles, around $3.70.

istockphoto-472060109-612x612.jpg.be3a17eca243855fda2a3dce6db761b3.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Only pork pies cold, rest warm to hot. English style pork pies, available here, woolies and coles, around $3.70.

istockphoto-472060109-612x612.jpg.be3a17eca243855fda2a3dce6db761b3.jpg

They look delicious, we have not been able to get them here in coles for a while now. I have looked into making them myself but as my other half says ‘too much stuffing around’  I still make Scotch pies, that involves a fair bit of stuffing around.😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fairywren said:

They look delicious, we have not been able to get them here in coles for a while now. I have looked into making them myself but as my other half says ‘too much stuffing around’  I still make Scotch pies, that involves a fair bit of stuffing around.😉

Coles and Woolworth pork pies are sourced from Patchetts at Botany, NSW and Temptation Bakeries in Victoria. Fair hike to Perth. One would think with many ex pat and migrant Brits living around Perth, someone would manufacture pork pies.

Anyway good to see the pie thread still alive, our departed Mr Gut would like that. RIP mate.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 4