re meat pies

11 hours ago, beatleman said:

You urgently need a haircut Uncle Les, short back and sides. 😝😁

Yes, a Chrissie Haircut required. This fine bunch are back again from last year.

chrissie.jpg.85cf56f3b5314e0aa07631b0dcb1d194.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Big piece of pie there Lyle. Looks great. Is tortierre French for pie?

Lynn wimped out and took a smaller than normal piece, I didn't want to heat it up again. Tortierre is a minced pork pie. Traditionally served in Quebec during the holidays. It's available year round here. My mom's best friend made very good ones. This one is quite good but like many things it doesn't come close to my childhood memories of Ida's tortierre.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

34c here today but whacked a 🥧 in the airfryer. Tasty..never too hot for a dogs eye.

694031.jpg.9eef68a8416392afca0b46d0d7bc7e22.jpg

Hahaha, Still too early for me to think sensibly, my first reaction on seeing "34c" was that the pies were 34 cents - wishful thinking! 🤣😋

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

Hahaha, Still too early for me to think sensibly, my first reaction on seeing "34c" was that the pies were 34 cents - wishful thinking! 🤣😋

$7.50 for a pack of two frozen from Woolworths.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It took a long time to find this thread again. We are starting to put together the great down under meet and greet tour. Most discussion of that will be on the different thread. That being said we will be checking out pies along the way. @lyndarra has already filled in the Harry's stop (we shall raise a pie to Mr. Gut). I will read back to see some other places mentioned in this thread. I know there is one that gets mentioned often, that seems to be along our route. Looking for suggestions, Unfortunately time constraints will limit this tour to NSW and Victoria.

Robertson pie shop reviews have been sliding. Not impressed recently. Hayden’s Pies still good.  Definitely stop there when going down the coast.  Mogo pie shop just south of Batemans Bay also worth trying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

So scanning back many months @NSWP Uncle Les mentioned Robertson Pie Shop and Hayden's Pies. I'm thinking if Uncle Les drives 45 minutes to get some Hayden's pies they must be good.

Well done for resurrecting this important thread of information on the humble OZ baked delicacy. 🤩

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So scanning back many months @NSWP Uncle Les mentioned Robertson Pie Shop and Hayden's Pies. I'm thinking if Uncle Les drives 45 minutes to get some Hayden's pies they must be good.

Now Lyle, I understand you are staying at Linda and Mario's holiday house @ Batehaven.  Just down the road, northbound at Batehaven Shopping Centre is the Batehaven Bakery. Great breakfast, big range of pies, sausage rolls, sandwiches, cakes, coffee etc. Eat in or takeaway, same price. Don't miss the experience mate.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, beatleman said:

Well done for resurrecting this important thread of information on the humble OZ baked delicacy. 🤩

We let it slide back and then drag it back to the front. We do miss the input from Mr. Gut (RIP) but many of us remember him when we post on this thread. Of course this is now research again as the OP was doing when they started it. Of course they have long since abandoned ship. So far we have identified some locations from trusted sources and looking for more input. I did notice mention of National pies from Hobart in Taz, do they have an actual vendor that serves them fresh in Hobart? Our cruise stops there.

• Like 2

If you do decide to drive to Kempsey to the Akubra factory 😉 , you will drive by very close to where Mr Gut lived. This is likely more than 100km's away from any of your intended plans, but we have a shared experience from good pies at a few local places. I can't recall what Mr Gut's absolute favourite was.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

We let it slide back and then drag it back to the front. We do miss the input from Mr. Gut (RIP) but many of us remember him when we post on this thread. Of course this is now research again as the OP was doing when they started it. Of course they have long since abandoned ship. So far we have identified some locations from trusted sources and looking for more input. I did notice mention of National pies from Hobart in Taz, do they have an actual vendor that serves them fresh in Hobart? Our cruise stops there.

No vendor to my knowledge but in NSW, Woolworths Supermarket sells them, cold. Need warming.

Vilis and Garlos good too, available at some Petrol stations.

3649819.jpg.2b580569db5cd3472e1a8245dd575d98.jpg1734713787_th(1).jpg.0f8719994b61b2a1b647b34c912b4994.jpg

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@arxcards Thank you very much. I will have to look at a map (if I can find one) and see if we can fit an actual factory visit in. I suspect we will be going to Airds of Lochnavier, apparently fairly close to Lyndon's place.

Yes, 20km's up the road. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

Now Lyle, I understand you are staying at Linda and Mario's holiday house @ Batehaven.  Just down the road, northbound at Batehaven Shopping Centre is the Batehaven Bakery. Great breakfast, big range of pies, sausage rolls, sandwiches, cakes, coffee etc. Eat in or takeaway, same price. Don't miss the experience mate.

They are indeed staying with us, and I have neglected writing to you direct Lyle.  Will do so without fail tomorrow.  I've never tried the Batehaven Bakery pies.  We are fond, though, of Bernie's fish and chips from Batehaven, if we're doing takeaway.  Kids have all taken over the house...can't get near it😂

Will ring you tomorrow, Les, for a catch-up chat.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mareblu said:

They are indeed staying with us, and I have neglected writing to you direct Lyle.  Will do so without fail tomorrow.  I've never tried the Batehaven Bakery pies.  We are fond, though, of Bernie's fish and chips from Batehaven, if we're doing takeaway.  Kids have all taken over the house...can't get near it😂

Will ring you tomorrow, Les, for a catch-up chat.

Bernies retired and sold out a few months ago, apparently it is better now than it was, big call.

1610210863_th(1).jpg.cf0a0c064192c420b344362973b91d6b.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Bernies retired and sold out a few months ago, apparently it is better now than it was, big call.

1610210863_th(1).jpg.cf0a0c064192c420b344362973b91d6b.jpg

It certainly is a big call, Les.  I knew it was on the  market for a while, so hope the new owners keep it up.

On 1/20/2024 at 7:50 AM, Blackduck59 said:

Remember Les wants/ needs gluten free ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I was reading through the early part of the "Different" thread and smiled every time I saw something from Mr. Gut so I thought I should have a meat pie or 2. I stopped by my preferred purveyor of meat pies (Glenwood meats) and picked up one steak & mushroom and one butter chicken. I also got some sausage rolls and scotch eggs. I was set for 2 days of work lunches, I know it is not proper but I do eat them cold because I don't have the technology to heat them at work. I look forward to enjoying a proper meat pie when we get to Oz next year.

• Like 2

Were they good scotch eggs? 

I used to love those, often had half a one for lunch many years ago in NZ. It's something I rarely see in Sydney. Plenty of pies and sausage rolls but nary a scotch egg. 

• Like 1