re meat pies

Yes Julie the scotch eggs were good. I will admit I don't have any other scotch eggs to compare them to. I haven't had scotch eggs from anywhere else. I suspect they are a little finnicky to make. Glenwood bakes them, I'm pretty sure they were traditionally deep fried (like many things in Scotland).

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes Julie the scotch eggs were good. I will admit I don't have any other scotch eggs to compare them to. I haven't had scotch eggs from anywhere else. I suspect they are a little finnicky to make. Glenwood bakes them, I'm pretty sure they were traditionally deep fried (like many things in Scotland).

I believe the epitome of scotch eggs is to have the egg yolk still fairly soft and that would be very hard to achieve. For those not so fussy they would be relatively easy - hard boiled egg wrapped in well-flavoured sausage meat, crumbed and deep fried. They are very nice served cold which makes them perfect for picnics and takeway lunches.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Had a meat pie for breakfast this morning, it was on the train Sydney to Canberra. Not great and I couldn't tell what the brand was. They have switched brands in the last few months and it was certainly not as good as the one I had back in January.

• Like 1

That’s a shame, but welcome home.

we haven’t had pies for so long, but strangely, felt Garran Bakery calling for lunch today.  Delicious always.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Had a meat pie for breakfast this morning, it was on the train Sydney to Canberra. Not great and I couldn't tell what the brand was. They have switched brands in the last few months and it was certainly not as good as the one I had back in January.

Mr Gut would have chastised you for not purchasing the tasty morsel from Harry's Cafe de Wheels 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps, we were staying close by at the Metro Marlowe too, but they were not open at 6am. I suppose I could have purchased one the previous night but then it would have been cold by the morning.Too bad they don't sell them on the train.

11 hours ago, Mareblu said:

That’s a shame, but welcome home.

we haven’t had pies for so long, but strangely, felt Garran Bakery calling for lunch today.  Delicious always.

Tut Tut Linda, the Batehaven Bakery is just down the road from your holiday house, lol. You had better take Mr and Mrs Duck down there next year.   Couple of Bakeries/pie shops in Moruya, but no GF ones.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 1:52 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I believe the epitome of scotch eggs is to have the egg yolk still fairly soft and that would be very hard to achieve. For those not so fussy they would be relatively easy - hard boiled egg wrapped in well-flavoured sausage meat, crumbed and deep fried. They are very nice served cold which makes them perfect for picnics and takeway lunches.

In UK in my youth the eggs were hard boiled in within the sausage coating.  When in HK a few years ago post cruise, M & S had scotch eggs in their food section.glutenfree.gif.d1c3c14e3c5a0dee5eeca663f2609c23.gif

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Tut Tut Linda, the Batehaven Bakery is just down the road from your holiday house, lol. You had better take Mr and Mrs Duck down there next year.   Couple of Bakeries/pie shops in Moruya, but no GF ones.

Oh, if only we could get there, Les.  My apologies for not being in touch before your move.  The one day we could have come down was the day before your move, so I left it to come another day, and now you're settled in, we'll do just that before we leave in a couple of weeks.  I'll ring you later today, if that's okay?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I'm thinking that Lyle & Lynn may get a chance for a pie at Harry's at the Panthers Club on their visit here next year 🙂 So then they can compare with Batehaven Bakery 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Oh, if only we could get there, Les.  My apologies for not being in touch before your move.  The one day we could have come down was the day before your move, so I left it to come another day, and now you're settled in, we'll do just that before we leave in a couple of weeks.  I'll ring you later today, if that's okay?

Linda If ok might leave our Far South Coast CC Reunion until you come back from overseas .Raymonds or the Cat club will still be there, lol. Got my son coming down next week for Easter, then I am going to Lakes Entrance , Vic for a road trip, the Wyangala Winery wine cruise and wine tasting/ lunch there will have to appease my cruise hunger. All the best for now, keep packing.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, mr walker said:

I'm thinking that Lyle & Lynn may get a chance for a pie at Harry's at the Panthers Club on their visit here next year 🙂 So then they can compare with Batehaven Bakery 🙂 

Indeed Neil. Now Penriff Panthers, stayed in their cabins near the club some 30 years ago on a Traffic Seminar. Hospitality was great, lol.353752809_th(2).jpg.0bdb432e36284f471413ace073f9a667.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Linda If ok might leave our Far South Coast CC Reunion until you come back from overseas .Raymonds or the Cat club will still be there, lol. Got my son coming down next week for Easter, then I am going to Lakes Entrance , Vic for a road trip, the Wyangala Winery wine cruise and wine tasting/ lunch there will have to appease my cruise hunger. All the best for now, keep packing.

That’s fine, Les.  I’m so glad you’re “going on a roady” as they say, and it sounds really terrific.  It’ll be lovely to see family for Easter, too.  Raymond’s and the Catalina had better still be there, or we’ll all have something to say😉  Keep well, you sound like you’ve moved to the perfect spot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

That’s fine, Les.  I’m so glad you’re “going on a roady” as they say, and it sounds really terrific.  It’ll be lovely to see family for Easter, too.  Raymond’s and the Catalina had better still be there, or we’ll all have something to say😉  Keep well, you sound like you’ve moved to the perfect spot.

Edited by NSWP

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

In UK in my youth the eggs were hard boiled in within the sausage coating.  When in HK a few years ago post cruise, M & S had scotch eggs in their food section.glutenfree.gif.d1c3c14e3c5a0dee5eeca663f2609c23.gif

They've always been hard boiled when I've had them in the past but on a MasterChef episode a while back someone made one and the expectation was that the egg yolk would still be gooey, and it was I think.

That may be why they aren't seen much any more. It would be too hard to make them with soft yolks. 

58 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Indeed Neil. Now Penriff Panthers, stayed in their cabins near the club some 30 years ago on a Traffic Seminar. Hospitality was great, lol.353752809_th(2).jpg.0bdb432e36284f471413ace073f9a667.jpg

I’m sure a good time was had by all mate. 

The club & surrounding area has changed a bit since then, but it is still Penriff. It’s funny that the Penriff name started as an insult by others, but now is celebrated with pride 😁

You’ll have to come by sometime to check it out - my shout!!! Cheers 

• Like 1

Well not having much luck with pies lately, was in Goulburn on Friday and decided to have a pie from Trapper's. They are usually good to great, but not this day. My steak and mushroom pie was made with mince rather than steak, had normal gravy rather than a mushroom gravy and only had 3 slivers of mushroom. At least the pastry was nice.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Well not having much luck with pies lately, was in Goulburn on Friday and decided to have a pie from Trapper's. They are usually good to great, but not this day. My steak and mushroom pie was made with mince rather than steak, had normal gravy rather than a mushroom gravy and only had 3 slivers of mushroom. At least the pastry was nice.

That’s a shame.  It’s disappointing when you’re looking forward to biting into a tasty pie.  Well, you’re obviously still here, so it couldn’t have been beef wellington with dried mushrooms🫢

• Like 1

I love most pasties.  However, my daughter brought me a crimped edge Cornish pastie yesterday, which had swede in it.  Yum the best, like Cornwall.  She also brought a handmade musk lolly Easter Egg.  Both are not easy to find.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

BTW, Rosie's pasty had mince in it as well, she said it was okay but wasn't expecting meat in there.

What sort of pasty did she order? A classic Cornish-style pasty does have meat in it but not minced.

• Like 1

:classic_tongue:

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

That’s a shame.  It’s disappointing when you’re looking forward to biting into a tasty pie.  Well, you’re obviously still here, so it couldn’t have been beef wellington with dried mushrooms🫢

I find the mushroom reference funny but it is too soon to joke about a pie.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What sort of pasty did she order? A classic Cornish-style pasty does have meat in it but not minced.

Yes that is true, usually vegetable, sometimes meat but never mince.

• Like 1