re meat pies

18 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Depends on the region, or Nonna's individual choice, my lot favour 50/50 pork and veal. Real pork not the stuff squeezes out of a sausage. Then again when I tell people the Spag Bol starts out with Onion, Carrot, and Celery they think I'm weird.

How else would you start a spag bol? Sofrito as that vege mix is called in Italy, or mirepoix in France, is the base for many good classic dishes. It should be diced very finely for spag bol though. Most people leave it too chunky.

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

How else would you start a spag bol? Sofrito as that vege mix is called in Italy, or mirepoix in France, is the base for many good classic dishes. It should be diced very finely for spag bol though. Most people leave it too chunky.

I start just about everything with that three, doing a curry tonight to use some leftover chook, it’ll start with those some spud, some apple and sultanas I’ll see what’s around after that.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Haven’t seen them there, potato gems are, but noisettes have a light crumbing on the outside, haven’t seen them in yonks, they used to come in a cardboard box back when Mrs Gut and I were newly weds living in a caravan.

I think the cardboard would have deteriorated by now, but the potato noisettes would likely still be okay.

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Aldi have their Dutch selection out at the moment if you wanted the red cabbage and sauerkraut and such.

Love that sort of food, must get in there tomorrow.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Haven’t seen them there, potato gems are, but noisettes have a light crumbing on the outside, haven’t seen them in yonks, they used to come in a cardboard box back when Mrs Gut and I were newly weds living in a caravan.

I remember them, made by McCains from memory, no Aldi back then.  Not in OZ any way.  Remember Jewels and Flemings supermarkets, plus Franklins of course, a few of them in the Sutherland Shire, back then.  

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I start just about everything with that three, doing a curry tonight to use some leftover chook, it’ll start with those some spud, some apple and sultanas I’ll see what’s around after that.

Sounds like my mother's recipe.

Big tin of Keen's curry powder for the flavour.

4 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Sounds like my mother's recipe.

Big tin of Keen's curry powder for the flavour.

I do all the cooking at my place as I am a frustrated Chef and Keens Curry powder is what I use, I think it is a better product than 'Clive of India Curry powder. I always throw in a tablespoon of Paprika as well. 

keens.jpg

Edited by NSWP

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I remember them, made by McCains from memory, no Aldi back then.  Not in OZ any way.  Remember Jewels and Flemings supermarkets, plus Franklins of course, a few of them in the Sutherland Shire, back then.  

Lots of those older supermarkets became IGAs.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I do all the cooking at my place as I am a frustrated Chef and Keens Curry powder is what I use, I think it is a better product than 'Clive of India Curry powder. I always throw in a tablespoon of Paprika as well. 

keens.jpg

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

I still tend to use keens, or mix my own

Keens is probably kept in every aussie household's pantry..

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Lots of those older supermarkets became IGAs.

Probably in Sydney.   Loads of IGA's down here, Batehaven, Surf Beach, Malua Bay, Tomakin, Moruya.  Very handy when you don't want to go into Batemans Bay CBD in the tourist season to visit Coles, Woollies, Aldi with all those pesky Canberrans about.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Keens is probably kept in every aussie household's pantry..

Yes Mic, very nice with scrambled egg on a sambo - Curried Egg sambo, lubbly jubbly.  Or as the Brits would say 'Curried Egg Sarnie.

Edited by NSWP

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Probably in Sydney.   Loads of IGA's down here, Batehaven, Surf Beach, Malua Bay, Tomakin, Moruya.  Very handy when you don't want to go into Batemans Bay CBD in the tourist season to visit Coles, Woollies, Aldi with all those pesky Canberrans about.

You won't find me down there, I like it here when the place empties.

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Yes Mic, very nice with scrambled egg on a sambo - Curried Egg sambo, lubbly jubbly.  Or as the Brits would say 'Curried Egg Sarnie.

I use a boiled egg for mine add maybe a squirt of mayo to bind it all

Edited by GUT2407

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I use it as a base for many dishes. Yes has to be very fine for spag bol. 

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Aldi have their Dutch selection out at the moment if you wanted the red cabbage and sauerkraut and such.

Hak brand which is really good. I stocked up last week.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ